Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Competition is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE
Hmm wonder if best buy is sending this 3070 for free, no auth charges or other charges and it has already shipped. In comparison I bought a switch from best buy that I haven't picked up and auth charge is there.

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE
Maybe best buy is living up to its name finally?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Heh, no such thing as a free lunch. I wouldn't bet on it at least.

zhar
May 3, 2019

How does the palit gamingpro compare to the FE 3080? Managed to snag one on scan for £685 (vs FE 650). I'm happy to pay the extra to actually have one but I still might try to snag an FE and return if it's somehow worse. I don't care about looks.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

zhar posted:

How does the palit gamingpro compare to the FE 3080? Managed to snag one on scan for £685 (vs FE 650). I'm happy to pay the extra to actually have one but I still might try to snag an FE and return if it's somehow worse. I don't care about looks.

It's going to be pretty indistinguishable. This is the techpowerup review of the 'overclocked' model, but the difference is 30MHz and these GPUs are almost all identical in practice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIkb2LF1Rfo

The AORUS youtube channel has a video on RX 6800XT benchmarks set to go off in 31 minutes (2100 GMT+8), so I assume that's when the review embargo is lifted.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIkb2LF1Rfo

The AORUS youtube channel has a video on RX 6800XT benchmarks set to go off in 31 minutes (2100 GMT+8), so I assume that's when the review embargo is lifted.

I hope so.

Comedy option: hour long preshow before the embargo lift.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mr. Neutron posted:

When are websites allowed to publish benchmarks of the AMD cards?

Reviews go live the same time the cards go on sale. Which is 9 EST.

^ edit : lol if reviews are out an hour ahead of launch

zhar
May 3, 2019

Riflen posted:

It's going to be pretty indistinguishable. This is the techpowerup review of the 'overclocked' model, but the difference is 30MHz and these GPUs are almost all identical in practice.

Alright, thanks, just as long as it isn't loud, roasting hot or liable to fall apart a lot quicker than the FE.

e: do I need some kind of anti sag thing for this card?

zhar fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 18, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

zhar posted:

e: do I need some kind of anti sag thing for this card?

No

If it needs protection against sagging it will be designed with it in mind

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Oh we've passed the two month anniversary of my first hour order :toot: Rocketing along at an average of 6.25 cards per week, partly due to 0 TUF OC arriving for three weeks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Here's some Aorus benchmarks

https://imgur.com/gallery/VyMEZgv

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I caught the video

---

Looking at Techpowerup's review of the RTX 3080, the 3080 scored:
112 FPS at 1080p, 10 less than the 6800XT
95 FPS at 1440p, 4 less than the 6800XT
67 FPS at 4k, 6 more than the 6800XT

---

Hardware Unboxed had Watch Dogs Legion at 85 FPS at 1440p, 3 less than the 6800XT

---

110 FPS at 1080p, 25 more than the 6800XT
92 FPS at 1440p, 7 more than the 6800XT
60 FPS at 4k, 9 less than the 6800XT

---

Hardware Unboxed had Horizon Zero Dawn at 118 FPS at 1440p, 2 more than the 6800XT

---

239 FPS at 1080p, 15 more than the 6800XT
169 FPS at 1440p, 7 more than the 6800XT
91 FPS at 4k, 9 more than the 6800XT

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 18, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Carecat posted:

Oh we've passed the two month anniversary of my first hour order :toot: Rocketing along at an average of 6.25 cards per week, partly due to 0 TUF OC arriving for three weeks.

Same except non OC :smith::hf::smith:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

So the 3080 is superior overall still, gotcha.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Kinda being tongue in cheek here but also can't wait for 2024 when Control is still the only game with RT that really matters (because of another gimped-rear end console generation) and people are still citing it as an important performance metric.

Its a good game (I own both it & an expensive nvidia card!) but its not even one with universal appeal or one that sucks without RT on either. As we roll into 2021 just like 3D TVs I start to become suspect about the technology adoption when the standard for measurement is a 16+ month old game.

my point is despite the :goonsay: itt those cards are going to be popular and sell well, not just because of nvidia availability.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 18, 2020

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bus hustler posted:

Kinda being tongue in cheek here but also can't wait for 2024 when Control is still the only game with RT that really matters (because of another gimped-rear end console generation) and people are still citing it as an important performance metric.

Its a good game (I own both it & an expensive nvidia card!) but its not even one with universal appeal or one that sucks without RT on either. As we roll into 2021 just like 3D TVs I start to become suspect about the technology adoption when the standard for measurement is a 16+ month old game.

my point is despite the :goonsay: itt those cards are going to be popular and sell well, not just because of nvidia availability.

Come back in, say, around 22 days.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Profanity posted:

[Yellow Background] Dear Cyperpunk Community,

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

[Yellow Background] Dear Cyperpunk Community,

gently caress.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

review's up on GN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLVGL7aAYgY

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’ve been offered a 2nd hand MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio for a very decent price. I haven’t really been paying attention to benchmarks and the general state of 3rd party cards, so I don’t know if they’re all decent cards or not etc. Basically, if I’m in the market for a team green card for 1440p, should I snap this offer up? Reviews seem positive, but I did hear about some bullshit with 3rd party cards needing drivers to get around a design flaw, and this is giving me pause.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Profanity posted:

god please i can't wait for the game to come out at this point so people can play it for a week and shut up forever about it because it's another mediocre CDPR game

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Review's up on Level 1: Best Linux gaming card ever, says Wendell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykiU49gTNak

It resets correctly!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Animal posted:

How can the DualShock 4 have more latency wired than BT.

How can the XBone game pad have the same latency over BT and radio and wired

IIRC, the ds4 over Bluetooth has a super high polling rate. Higher than over USB. It's why the battery life on the controller is so short compared to others.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Newegg's video card section went down. Guess I already missed my chance to get a 6800.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can’t handle the rage mode edits, the one that spins across the screen got me.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
AMD: "You call that a paper launch? This... is a paper launch."

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
So, the consesus seems to be that RX6000-series is really good but not earthshattering compared to the 3080. Still, bodes well for RDNA3 and pretty amazing how AMD managed to leapfrog to parity (and above in some cases) with NVIDIA.

EDIT:

Ouch :pwn:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 18, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Skimming over Igors long review, seems like vram bandwidth is a problem at UHD. He prefers the 3080s faster and wider 10GB (a 12GB 3080ti would be ideal ofc)
A good card for 1440p users who are not overly enthusiastic about RT? *

*if the drivers aren't all messed up

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1329054191696928768

lol

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Missionary Positron posted:

So, the consesus seems to be that RX6000-series is really good but not earthshattering compared to the 3080. Still, bodes well for RDNA3 and pretty amazing how AMD managed to leapfrog to parity (and above in some cases) with NVIDIA.

Yes, everything is shaking out to what we thought it would be. Good rasterization, very mediocre RT with no resolution upscaling in sight. It should be very clear which product you should be going for based on your preference. Though to me, it makes no sense to buy a premium card at premium prices and not have the best premium features.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paper launch is an outdated term anyway. They should now be rightfully called a PNG launch.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

sauer kraut posted:

Skimming over Igors long review, seems like vram bandwidth is a problem at UHD. He prefers the 3080s faster and wider 10GB (a 12GB 3080ti would be ideal ofc)
A good card for 1440p users who are not overly enthusiastic about RT? *

*if the drivers aren't all messed up

that seems like what ive been saying so i am happy it confirms my previous bias. its a good option if you are not overly invested in deep RT stuff. but i join our more technical thread dwellers in being skeptical about DLSS.

MikeC posted:

Yes, everything is shaking out to what we thought it would be. Good rasterization, very mediocre RT with no resolution upscaling in sight. It should be very clear which product you should be going for based on your preference. Though to me, it makes no sense to buy a premium card at premium prices and not have the best premium features.

i would say this is a lesson i learned in life through experience & also learning to value time? spending hours poring over poo poo to convince myself the worse product is equal vs. just buying the better product and moving on.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Seeing the 6800XT trade blows with the 3080 is awesome, minus the RT caveat, but the Tomb Raider performance was pretty good. I’d have been happy with either card if it wasn’t for my G-Sync monitor and really wanting to try out Control.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ah, that ratio. :discourse:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lmbo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Profanity posted:

Where'd you sell it? Looking to get rid of mine in the UK too.

I just put it on eBay and got lucky

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shipon posted:

god please i can't wait for the game to come out at this point so people can play it for a week and shut up forever about it because it's another mediocre CDPR game

Yep, just like nobody talks about Witcher 3 in extended “combat controls: threat or menace?” details 5 years after its release.

Unrelated: is the AMD set bonus just the resizable BAR stuff that NVIDIA is going to roll out across both vendors’ CPUs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

RDNA2 looks really good if you're willing to chance AMD software and are not sold on DLSS, especially if you're on 1440p. Some pretty nice work by AMD.