Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cowofwar posted:

Apple would never endorse dual-booting for their own software; it’s thr antithesis of good UI.

It wouldn't have to be actual dual-booting, it could just be some kind of tablet mode that activates that doesn't do windowing. Whether that's good UI design is another question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LPG Giant posted:

So a dude on this other forum I frequent has the new Macbook Air with M1 and he says he was able to hook up two external displays! One USB-C cable to a dock which connected two displayport monitors!

It's the top message on this page but it's in Dutch: https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/2030476/9

He uses this dock: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1310274/lenovo-thinkpad-hybrid-usb-c-with-usb-a-dock/specificaties/ and had to install some DisplayLink software?

If its actually DisplayLink, that is a crappy experience. It's basically an external graphics card connected via regular USB. That's not real external monitor support and has all kinds of drawbacks (like being lower framerate, high latency etc.)

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 18, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah if he’s using displaylink it’s just a USB monitor setup like we were discussing earlier. which again are totally fine for mostly static display content like the majority of people upset about how necessary is a third display for work would end up using. I’d argue video stuff is fine these days too and for the most part the garbage was always a result of doing these connections over USB 2.0

Fame Douglas posted:

It wouldn't have to be actual dual-booting, it could just be some kind of tablet mode that activates that doesn't do windowing. Whether that's good UI design is another question.

Ask windows 8

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

MBP - WoW @ 03:12 (1080p, Ultra preset, claims ~45fps in the beginner zone):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu8gEq-Os_E

This is 100% useless, unfortunately. A "Target FPS" of 200 FPS is enabled, which means the game will automatically lower graphics settings until it reaches 200 FPS. So it's not actually running at maximum settings. And the advanced options chosen are pretty weird as well.

Also seems to be running at 1080p.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 18, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the dearth of games on Mac PCs has meant that mac websites are terrible at covering game performance.
the benchmarks they've published have been incredibly slipshod when trying to compare the M1's game performance

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shrike82 posted:

the dearth of games on Mac PCs has meant that mac websites are terrible at covering game performance.
the benchmarks they've published have been incredibly slipshod when trying to compare the M1's game performance

Most tech websites are also not actually experienced at coming up with anything like good review setups. It’s why many of them rely so heavily on canned bench suites, because they largely don’t have any kind of technical chops. Verge is bad about this but they’re hardly the only ones.

It’s one of many reasons why x/y number ratings are mostly just feelings and a terrible way to judge a product. Unfortunately google reinforces those results by letting you add them to your results plug which just makes everyone do them anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mediaphage posted:

No. Dude. You literally are owed nothing, no maybe about it. It’s dumb as poo poo to throw apps out with no testing and if the dev doesn’t feel comfortable doing it then they shouldn’t do it. You’re being entitled.

Devs can do what they like and I can't stop them.
But this is *more* effort on their part; a specific opt out of something that is intended to provide value to their users/customers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Devs can do what they like and I can't stop them.
But this is *more* effort on their part; a specific opt out of something that is intended to provide value to their users/customers.

It’s much less effort than dealing with the repercussions of negative reviews if there’s a bad experience. It’s frankly the smart move on their part if they can’t do any kind of testing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

shrike82 posted:

Another issue is that there really aren't many good benchmarks for Mac OS. We have Valley and Heaven but they're both very old and I think neither have been updated for Metal.

WoW is probably the most popular game on the platform but is very hard to consistently benchmark, plus the most consistent and easiest to reproduce results (create a new character and stand around in the starting zone) are useless for actually assessing how well the game will play (probably still OK as a raw pixel-slinging comparison.)

Tomb Raider may actually be the best we have...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It would be nice if this platform switch would be the impetus to change that but given how fast steaming services are starting to spin up it seems unlikely.

Can get all the infinite runner games from iOS that you want now though :v

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
anybody who games enough to care about frames per second either has a dedicated gaming pc or a videogame console.
the idea of gaming on a mac is like solitaire on windows 95 office computers: a nice distraction but not really the point of its existence.

i am excited about the future of AS from a compute point of view, but dont give a flying toaster gently caress about running wow or any other emulated garbage to prove how capable my computer is.

it is likely the only reason apple included the gaming demo in the AS keynote was to showcase the combined capabilities of rosetta and AS, using an accessible metric. charts about video transcode times only get you so far, but "runs this emulated videogame faster than windows" is a great soundbite for the clickbait generation.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tbh I wouldn’t say no to be able to run a few games at 40+ fps especially if you got reasonable battery life. But I mostly play indie titles so I don’t think it matters and I can’t be assed to care about wow at all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fame Douglas posted:

Also seems to be running at 1080p.

Yes, he said it was. I pointed that out above the video. The only game running at a resolution above that in his tests was Dirt Rally, as using an external monitor locked him out of the graphics settings.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 18, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Yes, he said it was. I pointed that out above the video. The only game running at a resolution above that in his tests was Dirt Rally, as using an external monitor locked him out of the graphics settings.

Ah, I see you did. Still, the Target FPS setting alone means it's not a useful benchmark of anything. Native resolution & no multisample AA (depending on how low FPS get) & multisample alpha test & CMAA & Max & Target FPS-checkboxes disabled would have been useful setting to see how well it performs at max.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How do games running at non-native resolutions look on a macbook air/pro screen anyway?
1080P on a retina screen sounds like a bad time

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

How do games running at non-native resolutions look on a macbook air/pro screen anyway?
1080P on a retina screen sounds like a bad time

Wow has different scaling and resampling options, in my experience resample quality "none" & 50% render scale looks pretty good, just less sharp. With render scale, the interface/text etc. stays at full resolution. Other scaling values tend to look more odd.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Ah, I see you did. Still, the Target FPS setting alone means it's not a useful benchmark of anything. Native resolution & no multisample AA (depending on how low FPS get) & multisample alpha test & CMAA & Max & Target FPS-checkboxes disabled would have been useful setting to see how well it performs at max.

Out of curiosity, why the gently caress does WoW target 200fps when the vast, vast majority of monitors only run at 60Hz? Genuinely asking, as I have never played it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, why the gently caress does WoW target 200fps when the vast, vast majority of monitors only run at 60Hz? Genuinely asking, as I have never played it.

The default setting is 60 FPS. This is something the YouTuber changed; probably erroneously believing this would amount to some kind of FPS lock instead of being a "drop graphics settings dynamically during gameplay to stay at 60 FPS" option.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I received my Pro yesterday.

I cannot understand how Apple pulled this off, it feels impossible at this point even though I have the thing sitting next to me. I was screwing around with 6K footage in davinci resolve without a single dropped frame and a bunch of stupid color corrections and whatnot.

If anyone would like I can test things too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I received my Pro yesterday.

I cannot understand how Apple pulled this off, it feels impossible at this point even though I have the thing sitting next to me. I was screwing around with 6K footage in davinci resolve without a single dropped frame and a bunch of stupid color corrections and whatnot.

If anyone would like I can test things too.

Try and max out how many Chrome tabs you can have open before it starts having a heart attack. I tend to run 7-10 (6 pinned) over two different browsers on average (plus Mail and Adblock) as my minimum daily use, but I'm curious as to how far it can be pushed. Try and include at least one youtube video running at 1440p60 or higher.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 18, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got a 2017 15-inch with an intermittently unresponsive left command key. Canned air and running some paper under it didn’t help. Can key caps on 2017 MBPs be removed? I’m wondering if maybe there’s some dirt stuck under it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Good news, you're covered under:

Apple's Free Keyboard Replacement Program

Because the butterfly keyboards were a huge mistake.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

Try and max out how many Chrome tabs you can have open before it starts having a heart attack. I tend to run 7-10 (6 pinned) over two different browsers on average (plus Mail and Adblock) as my minimum daily use, but I'm curious as to how far it can be pushed. Try and include at least one youtube video running at 1440p60 or higher.

So this is fun.

Chrome with 21 tabs open (the non optimized version of Chrome, to be exact)
One of those tabs has a 4K video playing
I also have Davinci Resolve running that 6K (6GB file) and playing it in the timeline.

Not a single drop of frame.

Edit: I started to render that 6K footage down to 4K (h265) .. Youtube still playing the 4K video flawlessly.
Edit2: I forgot to mention this was all running on battery, not on AC power.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 18, 2020

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Got a 2017 15-inch with an intermittently unresponsive left command key. Canned air and running some paper under it didn’t help. Can key caps on 2017 MBPs be removed? I’m wondering if maybe there’s some dirt stuck under it.
Sounds like you're having the keyboard issue, time to take advantage of their keyboard service program.
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Which Ram configuration did you order?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

Which Ram configuration did you order?

16GB

My wife has an 8GB Air arriving Friday, so I will have that to test with too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

god this blows posted:

Sounds like you're having the keyboard issue, time to take advantage of their keyboard service program.
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Mister Facetious posted:

Good news, you're covered under:

Apple's Free Keyboard Replacement Program

Because the butterfly keyboards were a huge mistake.

:laffo:

So does that mean this is no longer an issue on the new MBPs? If so, then the good news is that this is my work laptop, and they can deal with it themselves. I’ll just ask for a new one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Apple went back to the scissor style used in the Magic Keyboard, starting with the 16", and all 2020 models. It remains to be seen how reliable they will be in a notebook, but the wireless versions have been out since 2017, and no outlets have reported persistent issues with them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like it’s time to upgrade. IT’s problem now :haw:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wish Gamer Jesus would do a review/analysis of the M1 machines. I dunno if he’s ever done anything with Apple stuff, but I like his methods and reporting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I wish Gamer Jesus would do a review/analysis of the M1 machines. I dunno if he’s ever done anything with Apple stuff, but I like his methods and reporting.

As I recall, Gamers Nexus doesn't review full systems very often (I think the last ones they did were those terrible Walmart desktop models), but I'd love it if he did.

I'll be looking forward to LTT and Digital Foundry as consolation prizes.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a list somewhere of all of the games that are available on Mac now? I understand that a lot got left behind when they dropped 32 bit support. The MBA is pretty much my dream machine for playing the hot indie games on the couch.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CFox posted:

Is there a list somewhere of all of the games that are available on Mac now? I understand that a lot got left behind when they dropped 32 bit support. The MBA is pretty much my dream machine for playing the hot indie games on the couch.

What about the Macbook Air makes you think of it as a games machine? If you actually want a computer primarily to play games with, a Mac should be your very last choice. If you really want to play hot indie games on your couch, a Switch will do you much better.

In theory, it'll run iOS games at some point, but that's a ways off and with no touchscreen you're gonna have a bad time with the vast majority of 'em.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What about the Macbook Air makes you think of it as a games machine? If you actually want a computer primarily to play games with, a Mac should be your very last choice. If you really want to play hot indie games on your couch, a Switch will do you much better.

In theory, it'll run iOS games at some point, but that's a ways off and with no touchscreen you're gonna have a bad time with the vast majority of 'em.

The M1 is more capable than the Switch, Steam is way cheaper than the eShop, and you can plug an Air into a TV and use a wireless controller as easily as an external monitor.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The switch actually has games though
:shrug:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think this is hype that may not be fully justified I mean it’s very likely that this thing is only going to run wow at 20 to 15 FPS when you actually put it into a situation people play the actual game in.

There’s like 10 different starting areas you can pick that one is absolutely the most simple because it’s on a boat.

Why didn’t this person choose a different starting area or just load up their main account.

Even if they don’t own the game they should be allowed to play up to level 20 and leave the starting area.

I’m pretty sus.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gruber did a decent article on the M1 - https://daringfireball.net/2020/11/the_m1_macs

https://twitter.com/Catfish_Man/status/1326238785181376512

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shrike82 posted:

The switch actually has games though
:shrug:

They both do. And Apple has games the Switch can't run without Witcher 3 level compromises to fidelity.
Apple is becoming a viable alternative for low-spec indie gaming, now that Intel isn't holding them back.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 18, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mac Mini teardown, cached as the original site got blasted by traffic

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...Q4dUDCAY&uact=5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It should be a good emulation machine too, I imagine