Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey hey! Who are you in there? Send me a Facebook message if you want!

I'm so desperate to downsize and sell this Suicide Squad collection, since I started collecting the TPBs instead. I need the space and the money, and I hate redundancy in my collection.

ill send ya a friend request

single issues that aren't key or slabbed seem tough to sell in that group, sales seem to be mostly collected books

i tried to start the absolute swampy moore books and i can't get past the color..without a doubt i prefer tatiana wood..back to the shelf forever purely symbolic book(s) i own

what do you folks use for digital reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

ill send ya a friend request

single issues that aren't key or slabbed seem tough to sell in that group, sales seem to be mostly collected books

i tried to start the absolute swampy moore books and i can't get past the color..without a doubt i prefer tatiana wood..back to the shelf forever purely symbolic book(s) i own

what do you folks use for digital reading?

I have two large collections of singles I was going to try selling there once I am established, my fuckoff big Deadpool lot and my complete run of Preacher. Other than that it's gonna be trades.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
welp if you two figure out how to sell single issues without slabbing them let us know. i have two longboxes of very 90s comics in storage and the gameplan was to wait another 25 years and go from there hahaha..not a lot of clamor for terrible events of the time period like zero hour go figure (except the zero hour omni..who buys that lol)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

welp if you two figure out how to sell single issues without slabbing them let us know. i have two longboxes of very 90s comics in storage and the gameplan was to wait another 25 years and go from there hahaha..not a lot of clamor for terrible events of the time period like zero hour go figure (except the zero hour omni..who buys that lol)

I'm gonna give it a shot. Hell the Deadpool box is worth about $2000 based on Ebay sales and I just want to clear $1200.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna give it a shot. Hell the Deadpool box is worth about $2000 based on Ebay sales and I just want to clear $1200.

random but you didn't pick up vol 1 & 2 of black science, or black hammer vol 1 did you? i think i'm at the give amazon money point for finishing those :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

random but you didn't pick up vol 1 & 2 of black science, or black hammer vol 1 did you? i think i'm at the give amazon money point for finishing those :(

I never got around to those even though I wanted them. At the time I had Black Science on hold we were saving for the wedding.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I never got around to those even though I wanted them. At the time I had Black Science on hold we were saving for the wedding.

i feel you, i'm a bit behind on books, like basically up to saga/fatale, whatever year those started..so newer books kinda flew under my radar but i have this feeling that things are going to get more restricted covid wise again, so might as well tuck into the winter with a solid backlog

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
No one properly prepared me for how big the akira box set is.. Good lord.

Very pretty though. My only complaint is its not the color editions but can't win them all.. Maybe for the 50th anniversary

I don't know why all the stuff that was a real pain to find at normal prices all decided to restock or reprint in the last 8 months but my wallet hates it

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
In further gap filling adventures I had mind mgmt hcs fall through on ebay. Still trying to get volume 4 and 5 to finish the series.. One of you sitting on these two? 🤞

eh, someone popped up with 4, and 5 ended up being easier to source with a little more work...the takeaway i think for me is i will always end up paying what i paid for the rest of an oop series specifically for a volume 4, without fail. doesn't matter how many books total, #4 always bones me

note to self: buy vol 4 of everything always. to be fair all 6 volumes of the books if all goes well in theory ran me 125 or so, and each book is 300+ pages..that's pretty much in line with what i'd spend if they did a hc omni of the whole thing. instead there's a 3 book tpb style omni set for 30 ish a book..the hardcover upgrade wasn't as bad as it could have been all said and i really enjoyed mind mgmt the last time i read the whole thing before the trades

i'm kinda happy i'm running out of books i know i like/will like, this is like 5 years of reading

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 11, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

In further gap filling adventures I had mind mgmt hcs fall through on ebay. Still trying to get volume 4 and 5 to finish the series.. One of you sitting on these two? 🤞

eh, someone popped up with 4, and 5 ended up being easier to source with a little more work...the takeaway i think for me is i will always end up paying what i paid for the rest of an oop series specifically for a volume 4, without fail. doesn't matter how many books total, #4 always bones me

note to self: buy vol 4 of everything always. to be fair all 6 volumes of the books if all goes well in theory ran me 125 or so, and each book is 300+ pages..that's pretty much in line with what i'd spend if they did a hc omni of the whole thing. instead there's a 3 book tpb style omni set for 30 ish a book..the hardcover upgrade wasn't as bad as it could have been all said and i really enjoyed mind mgmt the last time i read the whole thing before the trades

i'm kinda happy i'm running out of books i know i like/will like, this is like 5 years of reading

Mind MGMT is awesome. I read all six hardcover volumes through my local public library. There's so much to look at on every page, and the collected editions are so nice, I'm sure this is one series that would lose a lot reading digital versions.

I calculated that I've spent about $120 on TPBs since August, which is A LOT for me. But between Ollie's Bargain Outlet deals, store credit at a used bookstore and a comic shop, a BOGO sale at that same comic shop, that $25 eBay credit in September, and some savvy trading, I've added almost 30 new TPBs to my collection, and all I've spent is $120 out of pocket. And it was all books I've really wanted, not just buying to buy, or picking up stuff to hopefully flip later on.

I think that retail therapy, combined with the thrill of the hunt, has helped keep me sane through the election season. It has given me something to low-key obsess over and look forward to. But pretty soon, I'll be all caught up with books I want, once I get my InStockTrades order (if it ever gets processed) and once Sex Criminals Volume 6, the TPB edition of Cobra: The Last Laugh, and Chu Volume 1 come out.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mind MGMT is awesome. I read all six hardcover volumes through my local public library. There's so much to look at on every page, and the collected editions are so nice, I'm sure this is one series that would lose a lot reading digital versions.

I calculated that I've spent about $120 on TPBs since August, which is A LOT for me. But between Ollie's Bargain Outlet deals, store credit at a used bookstore and a comic shop, a BOGO sale at that same comic shop, that $25 eBay credit in September, and some savvy trading, I've added almost 30 new TPBs to my collection, and all I've spent is $120 out of pocket. And it was all books I've really wanted, not just buying to buy, or picking up stuff to hopefully flip later on.

I think that retail therapy, combined with the thrill of the hunt, has helped keep me sane through the election season. It has given me something to low-key obsess over and look forward to. But pretty soon, I'll be all caught up with books I want, once I get my InStockTrades order (if it ever gets processed) and once Sex Criminals Volume 6, the TPB edition of Cobra: The Last Laugh, and Chu Volume 1 come out.

Super distinct art style, I'd buy it in some kind of larger issue count and oversized art edition but I think those tpb omnis in 2019 are going to be it for a while. Dark horse reprints in general seem like wishful thinking for the most part.

Totally get the retail therapy thing, it's a mix of oh I'm getting something tangible that mirrors my affection for the material out of the deal, and the calming nature of getting a complete set of sonething over time. I think deep down it's a form of control that gives you oversight over something that matters to you, letting you feel like you accomplished a thing and brought some order to the chaos of reality at the moment..and that's textbook escapism. Kind of the cornerstone of any good hobby imo.

I tell myself that aside from rare splurges on something oop and very hard to find most stuff/orders are less than a hundred and pre pandemic it was pretty easy to drop that or more on something as basic as going out to a restaurant. At least this way I have a book to show for it that ideally when cared for should outlast me.

Also lol at the bargaining stage where you tell yourself you're out and they won't pull you back in after this one last book. Sounds all too familiar to me hahaha

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Super distinct art style, I'd buy it in some kind of larger issue count and oversized art edition but I think those tpb omnis in 2019 are going to be it for a while. Dark horse reprints in general seem like wishful thinking for the most part.

Totally get the retail therapy thing, it's a mix of oh I'm getting something tangible that mirrors my affection for the material out of the deal, and the calming nature of getting a complete set of sonething over time. I think deep down it's a form of control that gives you oversight over something that matters to you, letting you feel like you accomplished a thing and brought some order to the chaos of reality at the moment..and that's textbook escapism. Kind of the cornerstone of any good hobby imo.

I tell myself that aside from rare splurges on something oop and very hard to find most stuff/orders are less than a hundred and pre pandemic it was pretty easy to drop that or more on something as basic as going out to a restaurant. At least this way I have a book to show for it that ideally when cared for should outlast me.

Also lol at the bargaining stage where you tell yourself you're out and they won't pull you back in after this one last book. Sounds all too familiar to me hahaha

I'm actually pretty good at setting hard limits with my comic and toy collecting, and not impulse-buying much at all. I'm obsessed with the state of "collection equilibrium," where I not only have everything I want, but even more importantly, I've gotten rid of everything I DON'T want. Right now, I'm closer than I've ever been before.

But now that we're Facebook friends, you'll start to see me post restaurant reviews on my food blog. I haven't eaten at a restaurant since March 7th, but I try to get takeout at least once a week, to help these restaurants survive and write reviews to hopefully send more business their way. I'm spending less on food, but we gotta eat, so I try my best to make the most of it. That's theraputic for me too, on multiple levels.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

But now that we're Facebook friends, you'll start to see me post restaurant reviews on my food blog. I haven't eaten at a restaurant since March 7th, but I try to get takeout at least once a week, to help these restaurants survive and write reviews to hopefully send more business their way. I'm spending less on food, but we gotta eat, so I try my best to make the most of it. That's theraputic for me too, on multiple levels.

I miss the culinary experience..when the pandemic started i went from never cooking to buying a month worth of groceries and having them delivered instead..and my cooking sucks :negative:

Prices also obviously skyrocketed in the city, from cost of ingredients down to a half dozen new fees. A decent-sized normal pie from my goto used to be about 25-26 bucks after tip. Now that same everything costs 48. I still try and throw an order once every month or two, but that's hard to justify more often. I know I can't eat a 50 dollar book (not yet anyway) but there's no sense of hedonism that comes with a 50 dollar pizza (you dont even get toppings! those are now 4 bucks per..drat you covid)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
don't judge me but one of my whales is evan dorkins milk and cheese hardcover collection from 2011 and i found a decent amazon fba seller who sent me photos and everything, looked good so i went for it. it's such a silly most wanted but milk and cheese are iconic

e: slowly growing my dark horse collection..i'm starting to think the vibe there is "we make really nice books produced well that you should have bought when we made them :colbert:"

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 12, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

e: slowly growing my dark horse collection..i'm starting to think the vibe there is "we make really nice books produced well that you should have bought when we made them :colbert:"

I hear that. I missed two of their cool MOTU books and they sell for almost $200 each now.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I hear that. I missed two of their cool MOTU books and they sell for almost $200 each now.

hellboy library and bprd stuff sell for insane amounts..i like hellboy and all, but i dont know that i'd spend 700 bucks on the set of library eds

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Missing out on the last two volumes of Plague of Frogs traumatised me. I pick up all of the Mignolaverse omnibuses at the earliest opportunity now for fear of missing out. :(

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Where can I sell those Hellboy/BPRD books? Haha

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah for real, I have a complete set as well as 4 bprd HCs.

Amazon's buy 2 get one free deal is tempting me but I have such poo poo luck with Amazon and books.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

Yeah for real, I have a complete set as well as 4 bprd HCs.

Amazon's buy 2 get one free deal is tempting me but I have such poo poo luck with Amazon and books.

speaking of, i didnt look at this on a larger screen..that tiny bit of wavy could just be a paper stock thing? hoping its not water damage or humidity, but they said the binding was tight..and i feel like thats something you'd notice when looking at the condition when being asked to describe it to a buyer..

guess ill know in a few days :\

every other angle the thing looks fantastic, got me nervous on the pages now (9 years of shelf life?)

Maybe I'm overthinking, this is saga volume 1 that came straight from ist today.. Has a kinda similar wave in there.. Idk, probably nothing...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 12, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

^burtle posted:

Where can I sell those Hellboy/BPRD books? Haha

Apparently anywhere, people want Hellboy I guess

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This batman tas making of is fantastic 😍

It's harper Collins published, assuming that's why there's no hardcover reprint and one trade version a few years later also oop

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stupidly sold my copy ages ago.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I stupidly sold my copy ages ago.

I don't think I'd sell this. If anything I'd try and get a better copy if that ever turns up in the wild, this thing is in really good condition but the fold out pages got crunched and the dust jacket has seen better days for sure, but the thing lists for way too high and this was a reasonable price so I can't complain.

Not to mention it's got a rad layout. I have that Dave gibbons watchmen book that chipp kid also did the lay out for and it's not as cool sadly.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Or DC could like ya know attempt to reprint it on the 25th anniversary in 2023...why are you laughing :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I freely admit to being dumb. And at the time it was hitting $200 used and I was broke.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Nah I don't blame you, it's a 130 page book, and 200 isn't something to laugh at.. And honestly I don't know how well the listing for 300-400 sell.. I sure as hell wasn't going to pay that and 100 ish was right about my max and this came up out of nowhere. I was expecting more issues with the vague description and the boomer seller from Florida but I'm happy, it's pretty solid considering. I got lucky, not so much if I intended this as a flip

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

oh hey this is local lmao

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Alaois posted:

oh hey this is my local lmao

Congrats on the sale, how quick did it go

Oh whoops I read *my* local as in you posted that.. Lol.
It went to sold status fast from when I first saw it go up, I was impressed. It's a decent amount of books for 665 (neighbor of the beast?)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 14, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zer0spunk posted:

Why not price it $1 higher?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

Why not price it $1 higher?

I'm imagining they make a neighbor of the beast joke in Hellboy somewhere.. I've only read stuff in the first 2 volumes so just guessing

It's a pretty common joke though I think in max Payne 2 it was 667 :allears:

e: wanna say preacher for sure.. it's like a dad joke for satanists

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 14, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
holy poo poo, i was able to get someone with absolute loeg vol 1 down to 150 and baring any fuckery, i might actually complete the drat set finally. knocking down whales :)
e: and its open not sealed so i can actually check out why these exist without feeling guilty like vol 2. the whole book of scripts thing always felt like "hey we need to pad this tiny rear end absolute so we can sell 2 volumes instead of one combined"

i think i paid 110 for vol 2 sealed, so together 260. i can't really tell if that was reasonable for 2 absolutes, but i also don't think they'll bother reprinting anything but absolute watchmen, v and killing joke ad infinitum and all the abc stuff have a snowballs chance in hell :\

absolute black dossier was on fire sale so i think i snagged that for 22? something like that...i'll be honest leog kinda sucks after volume 1, really not my fav moore material, i think i stopped after the first century book. no desire to buy the rest of it, though nemo is supposed decent? idk..they kinda lost me with vol 2

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 14, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New cheap stuff from Ollie's

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

Not bad at all!

Milk and cheese showed up in mint condition, pretty awesome collection. Seeing a 9 year old dark horse book look as good as when it came out gives me faith in the other DH stuff I have

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

This reminds me that Marvel never released a followup to the Ms Marvel omnibus. Get it together, Marvel!! :blastu:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

My big years-long project is owning and reading everything X-Men related in omnis and OSHCs. I'm also a trade-waiter so I'm not up to date on what's what regarding floppies, and I'm wondering how Hickman's stuff is going to be collected. Should I be picking up the OSHCs (I got HOX/POX) or waiting for a potential omni? And there are what seem to be tons of monthly mutant books being published right now, so I'm wondering if these series are all being overseen by Hickman, and if so, do they need to be read in an order that is less intuitive a la Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Until his story's done, there's probably no real way to tell how it'll be collected. Given that it goes into a multi-title crossover by multiple writers, I *kind* of doubt there will be omnibu just for Hickman's stuff. I'm fairly certain Hickman is overseeing things to some extent, but you definitely do not need to read everything, and there's no particular read order after like the first month or two when a big event happens in one title that runs into the others.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
HOX/POX has a necessary reading order.

After that, the series are happening at the same time where some things in one are referenced in another, but they can (and probably should) be read as individual runs. There's a proper order in the back of each issue, but it doesn't really matter.

They're doing an event now that's several "main" books and all the series weave in and out. Not sure how that will be collected, presumably with the issues in the "correct" order.

EDIT:

Endless Mike posted:

I'm fairly certain Hickman is overseeing things to some extent

He's credited as "Head of X".

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Thanks, y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

There are only two confirmed HC collections of Hickman-era X-Men at the moment. The first is the OHC collecting House of X and Powers of X, the second is the X of Swords omnibus that is coming out sometime next year.

I would love an omnibus of all the issues of X-Men and The New Mutants that came out between HoXPoX and X of Swords, but I doubt it'll happen any time soon. :(