Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Haven't read this week yet, also want to check out indigenous voices which is kind of X-related. Here is a page I saw on reddit from I think new FF that is about Franklin's relationship to X-Men:

Franklin is now never a mutant? Xavier could still help him out. I can only assume that there will be an event eventually where Wanda and Franklin destroy the X-men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

LOL, who's writing that garbage? It's straight from the school of thinking we gotta make Wanda not Magneto's daughter 'cause Sony holds the rights to the mutant movies.

edit: Dan Slott? Why am I not surprised? Hot on the wheels of ruining Spider-Man for a whole decade, here comes the Fantastic Four by Dan Slott.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 18, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Also for anyone who loves Pog your Pogs, he just got unceremonially written out in the first two pages of this week's X-Force. Not a good start. And it doesn't even make a lick of sense.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Saoshyant posted:

LOL, who's writing that garbage? It's straight from the school of thinking we gotta make Wanda not Magneto's daughter 'cause Sony holds the rights to the mutant movies.

edit: Dan Slott? Why am I not surprised? Hot on the wheels of ruining Spider-Man for a whole decade, here comes the Fantastic Four by Dan Slott.

They literally just did a FF/X-men crossover where Franklin was still listed among the omega level mutants and it ended with Professor X assuring him that whether he had powers or not he would always be welcome on Krakoa.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Saoshyant posted:

Also for anyone who loves Pog your Pogs, he just got unceremonially written out in the first two pages of this week's X-Force. Not a good start. And it doesn't even make a lick of sense.

???? Hard to call him written out when he returns in literally the next two pages after that.

Anyways, this week had finally started to deliver on sword fights, and they shine in no small part because of the time spent developing the Arrakoan combatants in the front half of the series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They literally just did a FF/X-men crossover where Franklin was still listed among the omega level mutants and it ended with Professor X assuring him that whether he had powers or not he would always be welcome on Krakoa.

I know! But yeah, it bears repeating. Editors at Marvel seem to be asleep. And, case in point, X of Swords:

X-Force was a complete dud. After last week's three issues' wacky tone, I don't think we needed a fourth one, especially when so little is advancing, plot-wise.

Like, Zeb Wells' Hellions? Glorious. Awful people doing awful things to each other and possibly the best iteration of Sinister since Kieron Gillen. Full marks as an issue of its series. But as part 18 of a 22 issue crossover? What was even the point?

I guess I'll check Cable later, but eh.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Haven't read this week yet, also want to check out indigenous voices which is kind of X-related. Here is a page I saw on reddit from I think new FF that is about Franklin's relationship to X-Men:

Franklin is now never a mutant? Xavier could still help him out. I can only assume that there will be an event eventually where Wanda and Franklin destroy the X-men.

This is so dumb. He's been a mutant since forever and making him not one just makes the Marvel universe feel less like a world and more like a siloed off series of franchises.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Yeah, this is loving dumb if it holds.

My disdain for Slott's FF run is pretty high, though. He's broken a ton of things Hickman and Zdarsky setup character-wise.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Yeah, this is loving dumb if it holds.

My disdain for Slott's FF run is pretty high, though. He's broken a ton of things Hickman and Zdarsky setup character-wise.
I agree dumb. I also thought Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch would be rolled back by now as well though. Wish they were. Other small fact, last week in Strange Academy we saw that Magneto emailed Scarlet Witch and wanted to spend time with her still. Also Beast wanted to run Krakoa experiments on her.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fritzler posted:

Also Beast wanted to run Krakoa experiments on her.

This is my shocked face.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
lol

BrianWilly posted:

My point WRT Franklin is that...it can be as "official" as possible, as outright confirmed in-canon multiple times over as long a period as you like through the most reliable sources that you can find in-universe...but all of that can be rendered obsolete the minute that it's no longer convenient for the character to be a mutant.

Obviously, I don't like that characters' continuity can get tossed around willy-nilly for the sake of licensing. But all I'm saying is, all it takes is a single copyright change and we're right back to the days of studiously ignoring Franklin's status, or outright retconning it no matter what's been in these books.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A prophet :worship:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most blatant rigging yet was that storm couldn't win a competitive fashion show.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the most blatant rigging yet was that storm couldn't win a competitive fashion show.

I'm not following most books weekly so I have no specific idea what this means but I do know that Chris Claremont is loving PISSED.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

if this turns out to be an actual retcon and not just a fakeout, it points to an embarrassing lack of editorial coordination. Or Slott just being given too much power by editorial.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

IDK, Saturnyne got her exceptionally drunk and her partner was Wolverine. Worst possible teammate of those available, can't totally blame her. Plus what, did Wolverine lose them 8 points?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Plus what, did Wolverine lose them 8 points?

If there's one constant in this that continues to amuse me to no end is how catty Saturnyne has been in relation to a certain someone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

wait no don'T SAY THA-

[instantly expelled from Krakoa]

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It was a team event with Wolverine, he's the one that lost it for them

I did like the whole "oh no, Storm is in a fight to the death and doesn't have her powers, what ever will she do?"

"Oh yeah, the same thing she did the last two times this happened and completely dominate her opponent."

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It was a team event with Wolverine, he's the one that lost it for them

I did like the whole "oh no, Storm is in a fight to the death and doesn't have her powers, what ever will she do?"

"Oh yeah, the same thing she did the last two times this happened and completely dominate her opponent."

Yep. Her biggest concern was that she was incredibly drunk. Realizing she didn't have her powers was an afterthought and Death acting like that made a difference was enough to sober her up real quick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's been mildly amusing how the vaunted original four horsemen are the weakest links on the arrako side.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
XoS overall has been pretty reasonable, but Hellions is really showing them up by telling a better self contained story in the middle of this event.

it's been mildly amusing how the vaunted original four horsemen are the weakest links on the arrako side.

Tell that to the poor kitten.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, Krakoa losing a dance-off is a goddamed travesty

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hexate posted:

???? Hard to call him written out when he returns in literally the next two pages after that.

Anyways, this week had finally started to deliver on sword fights, and they shine in no small part because of the time spent developing the Arrakoan combatants in the front half of the series.

Three pages, technically, but one is the cast page, and two are the title pages.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

70s X-Men update: Dave Cockrum does some good faces.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*laughs in Sinn Fein*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

*laughs in Sinn Fein*

I'm pretty sure that's Moira MacTaggert, who's Scottish.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, Krakoa losing a dance-off is a goddamed travesty

It was also Wolverine's fault; Doug was doing pretty well (I guess he remembers the dance lessons he took with Kitty).

I enjoyed this week's issues a lot; X-Force had a good balance of wacky and actually interesting events (at least a better balance than last week's issues), Hellions was just great and Cable had some amusing character moments.

Are Nanny and Orphan Maker done for? I'm kind of curious if they will actually be back and how they are gonna deal with that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

Are Nanny and Orphan Maker done for? I'm kind of curious if they will actually be back and how they are gonna deal with that.

They were on Arakko when they got got, not Otherworld, so assuming they're actually dead there's no reason they can't be brought back.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Moira MacTaggert, who's Scottish.

Alba gu bràth!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know if this is Duggan or Noto's doing, but drat.

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1329296194242285568?s=20

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/whats_versace/status/1329183991103172611

HOLY.

poo poo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Read Cable. Gorgon's fight would have been quite awesome to see properly drawn, but this book's artist can't really do action scenes. I do love how the score was made even because Saturnyne said so as she continues to pull random rules and numbers out of her rear end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The whole event continues to be amusing, but exactly what I was afraid would happen happened-- too many good ideas, not enough time, feels like the editors are asleep at the wheel. That seems in-line with that awful Slott page. At least it's all over real soon.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
really liked Gorgon, hope he comes back not too changed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wouldn't be surprised if the resurrection fuckery is a deliberate action by saturnyne rather than some intrinsic quality of otherworld. i don't think anyone would be surprised.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

i wouldn't be surprised if the resurrection fuckery is a deliberate action by saturnyne rather than some intrinsic quality of otherworld. i don't think anyone would be surprised.

I thought that was assumed or implied at this point.

I also think franklin richards got done dirty by what came out. Real lovely move.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It feels like the whole "Krakoa initiative" has three elements, as a story thing:

1) things that are obviously good and an improvement on the status quo, like mutants having a safe space and the ability to oppose their oppressors
2) things that are possibly bad and kind of worrisome in a good way (as a story element), like the thread of mutant supremacy that runs through it all and the fact that they've absolutely bought into the idea that mutants aren't humans
3) Professor X being a loving supervillain and the island being run mostly by people who are obviously evil

I'm not really sure why (3) is there, since it makes it really hard to appreciate (1) or approach (2) in the proper spirit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

If Franklin is legitimately not a mutant, then it's not the absolute dumbest thing in the world to rescind his access to Krakoa for a couple of reasons. It's not like the denizens are particularly welcoming to those who """pretended""" :rolleyes: to be a mutant in the past.

The problem here is that Franklin not being a mutant is absolutely the most pants-shartingly dumb thing in the world for far too many reasons, not least of which being the hyped-up crossover event less than a year ago that we all paid money for that insisted he's completely 100% a mutant for sure.

It's just bad in a way that reminds you about all the things you hate about comic books: even the most significant or impactful details about a character can will be retconned in an instant if some writer wants to make a few short term waves. Sometimes even when they don't. We just did this with Wanda and Pietro, and as of now Franklin doesn't even have the bad excuses they had for not being mutants.

Like, the utter best thing that can happen now is that it's a fakeout somehow, and then the story turns to "Franklin is totally a mutant -> Franklin made the world think he's a mutant with cosmic powers -> JUST KIDDING the fakeout was also a fakeout! lol I got you there didn't I lol?" and then Slott gets to laugh in some CBR interview or another about how sensitive comic book readers are when you write confoundingly-bad stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Dan Slott broke Days of Future Past.

I think a basic question that should be asked by editorial when a writer suggests something like this is "Does this change break any of our core storylines/concepts? Y'know, the ones that we've been making money on repackaging, building on, etc. for decades?"

The Moira reveal in HoXPoX is all-time great retconning because it doesn't break anything. In fact, you could argue that Hickman made that poo poo extra convoluted to make sure it didn't. Even the blink-and-you'd-miss-it timeline reveal about her death being faked works really well because he also drops a hint about something cool sounding being involved: a Shi'ar Golem.

Jason Aaron has been doing a lot of big-Marvel-history retconning in Avengers (and even Thor before that) but there's not much in that stuff that breaks core ideas and core stories. They aren't reveals for revelation's sake.

This Franklin poo poo sucks- and the Wanda/Pietro thing too- because it throws out basic things about those characters that had been established and built upon over and over and over. It'd be like someone writing a story that reveals Ma and Pa Kent were actually Nazis or something.