Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Be interested to see the results of the suspension/chassis revisions but if they keep selling it in manual in the US and they fix the goddamn torque dip I'll be plenty happy.

Be sad to see the Gundam Civic go actually- was amusing to see a wide-market vehicle be rolling around looking like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/fordperformance/status/1329085748931268612?s=21

Non prod concepts :argh:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought the rear view was a Jetta at first.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Trying to steal back the thunder from jeep and the v8 wrangler. Did they do an official unveiling of that by the way? I still don't know if it's going into production or not.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Here's your new BRZ. It looks fine, just like the last 86/BRZ did. Just fine, not great, not bad, just pretty whatever.

https://twitter.com/86_911/status/1328985515345862657?s=20

Surprised at the aggressive aero brake ducts and vented fender, course I’d be more surprised if they’re functional. Looks decent except the back like others have commented.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The rear looks weirdly like a mashup between Supra and Volt (as someone already mentioned) design themes, but I hated the prior tail lights so this is arguably an improvement. It sounds like a nice incremental improvement to the car.

edit: I think it's pretty clear that one of the goals was to incorporate some Supra design language throughout. the lower line swooping up to the rear quarter panel is evocative of the Supra's side scoop for sure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 18, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The twins look just like a facelift to me, was hoping for something completely different and cool but oh well wasn’t gonna buy one anyway :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There were a lot of comments on Reddit about how "it's just a facelift, just like the 350/370/400Z", but like, what continuously produced car looks radically different from its predecessor? I guess the C6 --> C7 --> C8 was a pretty big shift in design, but I can't think of many other cars where there was not a production interruption AND the car looks significantly different than the gen beforehand.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sab669 posted:

There were a lot of comments on Reddit about how "it's just a facelift, just like the 350/370/400Z", but like, what continuously produced car looks radically different from its predecessor? I guess the C6 --> C7 --> C8 was a pretty big shift in design, but I can't think of many other cars where there was not a production interruption AND the car looks significantly different than the gen beforehand.

The mustang. 04-05 and 14-15 were pretty big leaps forward.

Car design seems to have stalled out, with everybody happy with their shapeless blobs.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I did a quick / dirty photoshop trying to fix the one thing that was annoying me about the back but now I'm not sure if it made it better or not. I may have inadvertently made it more boring.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Powershift posted:

Car design seems to have stalled out, with everybody happy with their shapeless blobs.

This is how cybertruck happens.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zero One posted:

This is how cybertruck happens.

No, these are the shapeless blobs that lead to that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Virgil Vox posted:

Surprised at the aggressive aero brake ducts and vented fender, course I’d be more surprised if they’re functional. Looks decent except the back like others have commented.

They are. It's mentioned in this video and you can actually see the ductwork behind the tire when looking at the angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjkmcTQVzD0

I like the design much more seeing it in that video vs the press shots.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

kimcicle posted:

I did a quick / dirty photoshop trying to fix the one thing that was annoying me about the back but now I'm not sure if it made it better or not. I may have inadvertently made it more boring.

There is something very Buick looking about this.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I just can’t believe they’re producing an affordable, light, driver focused 2 seater with a manual in the midst of...all this. I’ve never driven a BRZ but definitely gonna check this one out when it’s available.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

From a quick glance through the press release it looks like they didn't ruin anything! :toot:

Disappointed but not surprised to see the all-digital gauge cluster though. If it's not laggy I could live with it but a lovely laggy digital dash would be a deal-breaker for me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
updated interior looks good too

kinda impressed they didnt gently caress this thing up

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FBS posted:

From a quick glance through the press release it looks like they didn't ruin anything! :toot:

Disappointed but not surprised to see the all-digital gauge cluster though. If it's not laggy I could live with it but a lovely laggy digital dash would be a deal-breaker for me.

Yeah, I'm happy they didn't ruin anything.

I'm fine with the digital cluster depending on how it's implemented. I love the cluster on my Golf R.

Now that we know they retained the weight of the outgoing model, I'm really curious what, if any, creature comforts they might have added. I noticed already on the walk around that there appear to be sensors embedded in the rear bumper, so it looks like there may be some cross path detection or backup distance sensing.

Blind spot stuff is something that I could honestly really use on the BRZ due to the pillar placement.

Walk around video also reveals that all of the front fender vents are functional which is cool.

I'm curious if they've gone to the newer 5x114.3 hubs or if they are still on the 5x100 hubs, mainly because I wonder if I will be able to reuse my 2nd set of wheels.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Looks more interesting in that video than in those photographs. Ok evolution of the old model. Curious to see how the 86 will be slightly different.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

phosdex posted:

There is something very Buick looking about this.

Yes that’s it, it’s a Regal

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

dk2m posted:

I just can’t believe they’re producing an affordable, light, driver focused 2 seater with a manual in the midst of...all this. I’ve never driven a BRZ but definitely gonna check this one out when it’s available.

I assume that if the car if this far along then it's been pretty much locked in since the pandemic started. The twins have been relatively successful sports cars as well compared to a lot of cars introduced in the past decade.

I'm curious as to where Mazda is in regards to the next Miata though since their design cycle is off by a few years. People expected to see one in 22 or 23 but maybe the current situation will have the effect of stretching out the ND's lifespan.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Maybe it’s me but the front looks like a Ferrari FF and M2 baby

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Maybe it’s me but the front looks like a Ferrari FF.

I get Panamera vibes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fordoyubaru twins

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

dk2m posted:

Technically they aren't, since it's a 2+2. :eng101:

I like the refresh but my heart and financial plan belong to the ND Miata, so I'm also in the "wasn't going to buy one anyway" group.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

None of the details match but to me the overall proportions just scream 'Lexus RC'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus Christ, the BRZ and a turbo is like Twitter and an edit button. They keep doing everything except the one thing that people really, really want. And, yes, the thing people really want has some disadvantages, but recently I've been told that the customer preference is always right and to "shut the gently caress up about it", so...

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

wonder if it retains the torque dip as an essential part of the car's character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FBS posted:

None of the details match but to me the overall proportions just scream 'Lexus RC'

Is that a bad thing?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, the BRZ and a turbo is like Twitter and an edit button. They keep doing everything except the one thing that people really, really want. And, yes, the thing people really want has some disadvantages, but recently I've been told that the customer preference is always right and to "shut the gently caress up about it", so...

You're making the assumption that noisy online nerds (aka all of us) are the same thing as customers.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

i own every Bionicle posted:

I get Panamera vibes

Was thinking the same thing

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If they actually made a turbo BRZ it wouldn't be that much faster and would cost substantially more and the people who complain wouldn't buy it anyway.

New one looks cool, interested to see the 86 version

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

PT6A posted:

I think there are a few reasons a turbo is not on the table:

- it would push the car up into a price and performance bracket with Mustangs, Camaro’s, Z’s, and cheaper BMW’s where it couldn’t compete as well

- it would start to step on the toes of the WRX and 4 cylinder Supra

- on a lower volume car that both parties were only half interested in, the expense to federalize a new engine isn’t worth it

I’m sure there are other more technical obstacles as well. Any of these are not a deal breaker on their own, but all together, it tips the scales out of the turbo’s favor.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Rhyno posted:

Is that a bad thing?

Kind of. The original RC 350 was a pretty ugly car

e:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is a better analogy than you think because an edit button on twitter is a loving terrible idea
:emptyquote:

FBS fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 18, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

this is a better analogy than you think because an edit button on twitter is a loving terrible idea

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
yeah twitter edit is just gonna be

"cute cat photo" -> "sieg heil"

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Wheeee posted:

wonder if it retains the torque dip as an essential part of the car's character

From the link As Nero Danced posted on the previous page:

That sounds pretty intriguing to me. That's plenty of power for a car that size and weight if the engine is tuned worth a gently caress.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't understand this, "It would make the BRZ more expensive" argument.

The WRX literally costs less than the BRZ, why would stuffing that motor into the BRZ suddenly make it more expensive to build?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PT6A posted:

Buy one and put a turbo kit on it. Thats has long been the point about the Toybaru, if you dont like something on it? Well..... modify it so it does! The number of people that want a turbo are few and terminally online. And guess what? They would find an excuse not to buy the car anyway.

Interestingly, the BRZ has more power than the GC8 WRX and weighs close to the same. The GC8 WRX is *not* slow.

The BRZ has the same power as the GD 2 litre WRX but less weight. The GD WRX is not slow.

So if anyone claims the BRZ is slow, they should learn how to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are you seriously asking why putting something that is more expensive in a car would make that car more expensive to produce