Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Because she loves books and wants into the prestigious Arlen book club, Peggy opens a bookstore. When business is slow, she rents the back out to Dale and the gun club to sell guns out of, but only as long as customers buy a book along with every gun purchase. In usual King of the Hill fashion, after selling out her principles for the appearance of success, Peggy gets into the snooty book club only to realize it's not what she wants because they don't actually care about books. She closes the bookstore putting an end to Dale's business as well, but some of the gun club members ended up reading and liking the books she forced them to buy and she ends up starting her own book club with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

there wolf posted:

Because she loves books and wants into the prestigious Arlen book club, Peggy opens a bookstore. When business is slow, she rents the back out to Dale and the gun club to sell guns out of, but only as long as customers buy a book along with every gun purchase. In usual King of the Hill fashion, after selling out her principles for the appearance of success, Peggy gets into the snooty book club only to realize it's not what she wants because they don't actually care about books. She closes the bookstore putting an end to Dale's business as well, but some of the gun club members ended up reading and liking the books she forced them to buy and she ends up starting her own book club with them.

Peggy doesn't open a bookstore she buys one from some miserable woman who was just using it as a tax dodge for her wealthy spouse. You can't just c/p from a wikipedia article. Also they're not in to reading they're in to drinking but they think of Peggy as low class.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

xarph posted:

Another Fry’s is dead. This is the Egyptian one where they covered the escalator/ramp with rocks rather than fix it.

Once again, the media narrative is “Amazon is killing stores” not “chain with incompetent, uninterested management that hasn’t improved since 1999 is collapsing under own weight.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/10/frys-electronics-closes-campbell-location-as-company-struggles-in-digital-age/

I am sure Amazon is definitely a factor. But places like Microcenter obviously have better management. As they are surviving; thriving even. I am lucky enough to have one only a 40 minute drive from home. They are constantly refreshing their displays and rotating out products keeping with current trends. The place is ridiculously busy, even in COVID times.

I'm wondering how the Indianapolis Frys is getting along.. It is one of the only two in the midwest. It has looked like it was going out of business for at least 3 years now. My last visit was a year ago and it was not good.. 100k sqft store; the inventory they had could probably fit into 10k.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Microcenter is the polar opposite of companies circling the drain. It's proof that we can have nice things.

Looking up the Wikipedia page it's weird seeing fancy Microcenters. Ours has been here for probably 40 years and has never been remodeled and it's like slipping into a soft well worn hoodie every time I go in.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Microcenter is the polar opposite of companies circling the drain. It's proof that we can have nice things.

Looking up the Wikipedia page it's weird seeing fancy Microcenters. Ours has been here for probably 40 years and has never been remodeled and it's like slipping into a soft well worn hoodie every time I go in.

My local one is the Sharonville/Cincinnati, OH location. It gets refreshed every couple years it seems. Its not nearly as big as some of the ones on the wiki article. It is a fairly cramped store with narrow isles and everything well packed in.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

stevewm posted:

My local one is the Sharonville/Cincinnati, OH location. It gets refreshed every couple years it seems. Its not nearly as big as some of the ones on the wiki article. It is a fairly cramped store with narrow isles and everything well packed in.

That's the same as the one in St Louis Park MN, basically a computer hardware store, right down the the poured concrete floor.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

stevewm posted:

I am sure Amazon is definitely a factor. But places like Microcenter obviously have better management. As they are surviving; thriving even. I am lucky enough to have one only a 40 minute drive from home. They are constantly refreshing their displays and rotating out products keeping with current trends. The place is ridiculously busy, even in COVID times.

I'm wondering how the Indianapolis Frys is getting along.. It is one of the only two in the midwest. It has looked like it was going out of business for at least 3 years now. My last visit was a year ago and it was not good.. 100k sqft store; the inventory they had could probably fit into 10k.

I went in there just prior to coronavirus for a potentiometer that I needed right away and it's pretty desolate and it's been like that for a couple years. I have no idea how they stay open when the only real draw is their electronic parts after the demise of Radio Shack when everything else in the store can be bought easily at other stores and probably at the same or better prices. Then, when you factor in online retailers, it's even more baffling how they're still open. If I hadn't needed that potentiometer right away, I probably could have gotten 2 or 3 from Amazon on my doorstep two days later for the same price. It doesn't help that it's in a lovely location and the drab, depressing interior is definitely not a draw.

If only I had a time machine so I could return to about 1995 when that building was Incredible Universe and had dedicated rooms to each of the consoles available at that time with demo machines running. 3DO, Phillips CDi, NeoGeo, Jaguar, Saturn, PSX, etc. It was always decorated and welcoming inside compared to the dystopian interior of Frys where it looks like THX1138 inside with shelves that were restocked by some doofus yelling "Kobe" as they toss electronics from 15ft away.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stevewm posted:

I can't even imagine cramming into that place right now

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sir Not Appearing posted:

If only I had a time machine so I could return to about 1995 when that building was Incredible Universe and had dedicated rooms to each of the consoles available at that time with demo machines running. 3DO, Phillips CDi, NeoGeo, Jaguar, Saturn, PSX, etc. It was always decorated and welcoming inside compared to the dystopian interior of Frys where it looks like THX1138 inside with shelves that were restocked by some doofus yelling "Kobe" as they toss electronics from 15ft away.

Wow. It was something before Fry's?! I knew about Fry's, but only found out the Indianapolis store existed around 2006 or so. It was well stocked then, but has only went down hill since.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Peggy doesn't open a bookstore she buys one from some miserable woman who was just using it as a tax dodge for her wealthy spouse. You can't just c/p from a wikipedia article. Also they're not in to reading they're in to drinking but they think of Peggy as low class.

So literally the only thing I got wrong was that she takes over the store rather than start one from scratch. Probably should have read the whole wiki rather than just skim the part about the book/gun sales to make sure I remembered it right. :shrug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There are only like, 20 retail Microcenter stores, which helps some things

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

stevewm posted:

Wow. It was something before Fry's?! I knew about Fry's, but only found out the Indianapolis store existed around 2006 or so. It was well stocked then, but has only went down hill since.

Yeah, I'm not sure that this is the Indy store, but you can tell it's the same style building as the 96th Street Fry's.

Incredible Universe was literally "bigger is better" sculpted into a store with its own restaurant that is in the center of the first floor that has been partially enclosed at the Indy store. They also had an area to ditch your kids like Ikea, but my brother and I were teens at the time so the video game areas were where we hung out while our parents looked at computers and appliances. I can't find any pics of the old indoor layout online, but there were smaller rooms that had systems grouped together like CDi, Jaguar, 3DO and NeoGeo in one room, Nintendo I think had its own room as well as Sega and Sony.

At least at night, it was dark inside with each of the shopping areas lit up separately with what looked like street lights as I remember. It sounds dumb, but it was warm, inviting and probably helped promote browsing whereas, Fry's is depressing and I go in for exactly what I went in for and never feel like browsing their disorganized shelves or checking out their broken display items.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We had an Incredible Universe near the airport in Miami for a few years. It was absolutely enormous. I don't think I even got to see the whole thing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure that this is the Indy store, but you can tell it's the same style building as the 96th Street Fry's.

Incredible Universe was literally "bigger is better" sculpted into a store with its own restaurant that is in the center of the first floor that has been partially enclosed at the Indy store. They also had an area to ditch your kids like Ikea, but my brother and I were teens at the time so the video game areas were where we hung out while our parents looked at computers and appliances. I can't find any pics of the old indoor layout online, but there were smaller rooms that had systems grouped together like CDi, Jaguar, 3DO and NeoGeo in one room, Nintendo I think had its own room as well as Sega and Sony.

At least at night, it was dark inside with each of the shopping areas lit up separately with what looked like street lights as I remember. It sounds dumb, but it was warm, inviting and probably helped promote browsing whereas, Fry's is depressing and I go in for exactly what I went in for and never feel like browsing their disorganized shelves or checking out their broken display items.
The first Sacramento Fry's was also in an old Incredible Universe, I think Fry's bought out a lot of their leases. It makes sense since they sold a lot of the same stuff, but it made it so Fry's had tons of floorspace to fill that was clearly a stretch even in their best times. There were always just big empty areas in the Fry's where they'd pile up boxes of whatever was on special that week with no real organization.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I can't recall if it was mentioned previously in this thread, but RIP boy scouts:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1328368506316976128?s=21

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

there wolf posted:

So literally the only thing I got wrong was that she takes over the store rather than start one from scratch. Probably should have read the whole wiki rather than just skim the part about the book/gun sales to make sure I remembered it right. :shrug:

Peggy in her defense got sold a losing business. She is not a great business woman.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
The Fry's/Microcenter comparison is always so spot on.
I can't imagine what brain dead idiot picked the location for the Chicago area Fry's - it's in an area dead of traffic and like 15 minutes from the Westmont Microcenter, which has actual well paid, knowledgeable employees and a poo poo ton of brand loyalty. It's a little cramped, but there's little reason to go anywhere else.
The only thing I miss about Fry's (because it's been dead as poo poo for like 2 years) is that they tended to stock some professional computer toucher/electronics person needed poo poo. Microcenter sadly doesn't have me covered when I run out of rack bolts or need replacement rails or something :(

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't recall if it was mentioned previously in this thread, but RIP boy scouts:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1328368506316976128?s=21

They've transferred as many of their assets to regional councils as possible to avoid paying for the crimes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It was all downhill once the Mormons bought it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ofecks posted:

I don't know for sure, but it seems that guitar-based music just isn't as popular as it once was, and maybe has been trending that way for at least a decade? If less are listening to it, less are inspired to learn to play it.

It's extremely on the rise again. Guitar popularity is skyrocketing so quickly that there are Amazon Basics guitar effects pedals now that sell for $25 each.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

stevewm posted:

The place is ridiculously busy, even in COVID times.

The last time I went to Microcenter I literally had to wait in line outside because it was too packed. It's the only store I've been to during COVID that was over capacity. It's honestly a bit mind-blowing how busy they are compared to every other retail building.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Volcott posted:

They've transferred as many of their assets to regional councils as possible to avoid paying for the crimes.

I mean really how does it matter? The only justice would be aggressive criminal cases against everyone involved. Eviscerating a legal entity hurts no one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean really how does it matter? The only justice would be aggressive criminal cases against everyone involved. Eviscerating a legal entity hurts no one.

Well, it reduces the compensation available to the victims, which is unfortunate.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

Weird. You would think more people decided "THIS is the year I learn the guitar!" thanks to COVID.

Writing has been in the wall for months now. For those not familiar: Guitar Center sells guitars that are basically on consignment. Small guitar companies have been getting shafted on payment for quite a while now. GC doesn't pay until the instrument had sold (and sometimes just doesn't pay, at all). GC can't afford to lose Gibson as a brand so they've been paying Gibson with the profits from smaller companies to keep the giant at bay.

The thing is, especially during corona, is that the $3,000+ "doctors and lawyers only" Gibson guitar sales are down. They've got the quality control of a $200 Chinese guitar. It's like buying a British made car.

Guitars have never sold as well as they are right now, but people aren't buying the "doctors and lawyers" models, they're ordering completely serviceable guitars off of eBay and Amazon that are far cheaper than young-me used to drool over at pawn shops. You can buy a brand new Glarry electric guitar for $76-120.

A lot of small guitar manufacturers are going to get turbo hosed by this bankruptcy. They sent stock to GC expecting to be paid, but they're small creditors that will never see a dime of the bankruptcy money as GC tries to hold on to their big contracts.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The bookstore wasn't a tax dodge, it was a bored rich wife project. When Peggy asks the previous owner how she was paying all the bills, she says her husband just wrote a cheque - "the interest from some or other account." Massive due diligence failure by Peggy in any case.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
While in school, I used to live in a pretty rich city where in the high rent district there were a lot of local cutesy retail shops which were empty most of the time. Almost certainly they all were hobbies for bored rich wives/stay-at-home husbands or wealthy retirees.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Nov 17, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're typically either that or fronts for organised crime/police, possibly both.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Well, it reduces the compensation available to the victims, which is unfortunate.

It's good and bad. As part of the bankruptcy they're guaranteeing X number of dollars for being allowed the privilege of not being shut the gently caress down. So at least 90k victims will get compensation and legal recognition that they were victims.

I was a little surprised to see how little the BSA is worth (about a billion in total assets). It feels like I sold at least a million dollars worth of those loving Entertainer coupon books.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’d think their real estate would be worth more than that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Platystemon posted:

You’d think their real estate would be worth more than that.

They're hiding the real estate asserts in local councils to minimize damage.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yep one of my wife's extremely right wing, covid denying, Trump loving, welfare hating aunts has a quaint little craft store that makes no profit and is completely paid for by her oil industry husband

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mentioned this earlier in the thread when the news first hit a few months ago, but they're selling the really valuable land to companies that blow up mountains in order to pay for all of the lawsuits. They already sold off Philmont in New Mexico even though they didn't have the legal right to do so. They've created a situation where we're losing millions of acres of natural land in order to compensate child sex abuse survivors.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I mentioned this earlier in the thread when the news first hit a few months ago, but they're selling the really valuable land to companies that blow up mountains in order to pay for all of the lawsuits. They already sold off Philmont in New Mexico even though they didn't have the legal right to do so. They've created a situation where we're losing millions of acres of natural land in order to compensate child sex abuse survivors.

:smith:

Edit: Google says they mortgaged Philmont as collateral but that they have no plans to sell. The oversight committee in charge of Philmont says they had no right to do that, and that they actually weren't even told about it into after the paperwork was signed. Jesus

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Nov 17, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In a just world, BSA would go insolvent, the state would take their real estate, keep it as as public lands, compensate the victims out of public funds, then prosecute any agents of the Scouts who were involved in abuse or coverups. Throw them in prison; seize their personal assets.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:smith:

Edit: Google says they mortgaged Philmont as collateral but that they have no plans to sell. The oversight committee in charge of Philmont says they had no right to do that, and that they actually weren't even told about it into after the paperwork was signed. Jesus

Yeah, I was simplifying it, but still terrible. And there is no loving way they don't unload Philmont, it may be the most valuable piece of property they own, which is why they completely circumvented the oversight committee.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Platystemon posted:

In a just world, BSA would go insolvent, the state would take their real estate, keep it as as public lands, compensate the victims out of public funds, then prosecute any agents of the Scouts who were involved in abuse or coverups. Throw them in prison; seize their personal assets.

That's all well and good but how would that affect The Blessed Number(pbuh)?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
$3k isn't much for a hobby, are there a lot of extra guitar peripherals or something?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weatherman posted:

That's all well and good but how would that affect The Blessed Number(pbuh)?

I just described a scenario where we throw a bunch of people in jail and take their stuff.

Historically, that’s well‐received by Number.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That really amplifies the disgust I feel about what will actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Platystemon posted:

I just described a scenario where we throw a bunch of people in jail and take their stuff.

Historically, that’s well‐received by Number.

Only when it's people who don't deserve it though.