Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

compshateme85 posted:

It's not a fantasy. Triage is already happening and if I was making those calls, the person who is screaming between coughs that it's a hoax and we're all a bunch of pussies for wearing masks is going to go to the bottom of my list for the next available ventilator.

Sounds like the right call to me. Pretty tragic, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Hopper posted:

Just leave.

I wish. Can't jeopardize this job though because there's little chance of getting anything as decent as this crappy one, and my wife's employer cut her hours, so we're just barely scraping by as-is. And we haven't even paid any utilities in months. Lol.

On the plus side, I work outside for the most part and not with the public. Although nobody I work with gives a gently caress about anything and we frequently pile into trucks and, obviously, offices.

Just know that if I die, I caught this disease while watching a video narrated by a cartoon pirate, warning us of the dangers of email scams. The video broke five minutes in and none of the office workers could figure out how to replay it.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 18, 2020

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Achtane posted:

Currently in the front office at work, waiting for the other crew to show up so we can all watch a training video. Probably been here 25 minutes now. Me and one other person are wearing masks. It's 15 people in a small room.

The other crew just got here in masks and took them off.
gently caress this.

Dang that's bad. Back in March when people were starting to get really nervous our management was still insisting on having daily stand up meetings in a circle that conclude with everyone saying what they are grateful for. Just blind cargo culting of something they saw in a Ted Talk, I knew how much I wanted to get out of there and it was double or tripled for coworkers with health issues or spouses with compromised immune systems.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean I don't doubt for a second that he would launch a coup if anyone would support him.

Remember when Mattis was still around, and allegedly Trump tried to get him alone, asking 'so are you guys with me, you know, if it comes to it, you know, if the chips are down' and got told to gently caress off?

Holy poo poo,how did I miss this news story? Trump was sniffing around with generals trying to see if he could start some kind of military junta? How was this not the biggest story for the past year?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

coronavirus posted:

Holy poo poo,how did I miss this news story? Trump was sniffing around with generals trying to see if he could start some kind of military junta? How was this not the biggest story for the past year?

To you the day that Donald Trump tested the loyalty of his military leaders to test out the possibility of a coup to support a dictatorship was the biggest news event for the past year. For him it was a Tuesday.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

compshateme85 posted:

It's not a fantasy. Triage is already happening and if I was making those calls, the person who is screaming between coughs that it's a hoax and we're all a bunch of pussies for wearing masks is going to go to the bottom of my list for the next available ventilator.
you aren't triaging. you aren't treating patients. you aren't even loving talking to doctors or anyone working in a hospital. you're comfortably sitting on a computer fantasizing about how much you want to kill people

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Won't somebody think of all the red hatted typhoid maries out there

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hospitalizations are absolutely exploding here. Is this all just from people being more lax?? Is this Halloween's doing?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Achtane posted:

I wish. Can't jeopardize this job though because there's little chance of getting anything as decent as this crappy one, and my wife's employer cut her hours, so we're just barely scraping by as-is. And we haven't even paid any utilities in months. Lol.

On the plus side, I work outside for the most part and not with the public. Although nobody I work with gives a gently caress about anything and we frequently pile into trucks and, obviously, offices.

Just know that if I die, I caught this disease while watching a video narrated by a cartoon pirate, warning us of the dangers of email scams. The video broke five minutes in and none of the office workers could figure out how to replay it.

Can you buy a proper respirator? Even if you can't wear one with customers, you can wear it in meetings like this and it should protect you sufficiently when combined with glasses.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hospitalizations are absolutely exploding here. Is this all just from people being more lax?? Is this Halloween's doing?

School and business reopenings with insufficient social distancing, bad ventilation and lax safety measures, Halloween parties, people getting used to relatively safe outside visits thinking it can't be that bad to do the same visit inside and with a couple more people even as rates were already riding higher, in person voting and yeah basically being more lax in just enough little ways that the net result is R > 1.

Like here on Vancouver Island things stayed mostly quiet until school reopenings created a consistent handful of new cases a day, then someone went to a Halloween party on the mainland and really lit it off one of our sub regions. The net result? Where we were down to zero new cases for extended periods of time, we've clicked over to triple digit active cases today. It's more active than it's ever been here, but people don't seem to be taking it as seriously as they did in the spring.

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Stunt_enby posted:

you aren't triaging. you aren't treating patients. you aren't even loving talking to doctors or anyone working in a hospital. you're comfortably sitting on a computer fantasizing about how much you want to kill people

Sympathizing with people more or less directly responsible for bringing about and prolonging vast amounts of unnecessary suffering?

gently caress those people. If they desire it, let them burn. Your concern is neither wanted nor appreciated, and should be reserved for the victims of selfishness, not the loving perpetrators.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://twitter.com/billfoxla/status/1328932610169561090?s=21

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

More good followup data from Pfizer--uot to 95% effective with more data, 94% in older adults. We're also past the two month mark for enough patients to have a pretty decent safety readout.
A really good study taking a look at immunity in some covid patients over time gave a look at immunity that seems to indicate it will be very durable for most people.
Both nicely reviewed here https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/18/vaccine-possibilities
Things have gone better than I dared to hoped on this, and I was pretty optimistic about it.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

More good followup data from Pfizer--uot to 95% effective with more data, 94% in older adults. We're also past the two month mark for enough patients to have a pretty decent safety readout.
A really good study taking a look at immunity in some covid patients over time gave a look at immunity that seems to indicate it will be very durable for most people.
Both nicely reviewed here https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/18/vaccine-possibilities
Things have gone better than I dared to hoped on this, and I was pretty optimistic about it.

Didn't they also update that the deployment would be easier?

I don't know if that means the temp requirements are easier to hit or the refrigeration problem was resolved.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Small Gay Planet posted:

Sympathizing with people more or less directly responsible for bringing about and prolonging vast amounts of unnecessary suffering?

gently caress those people. If they desire it, let them burn. Your concern is neither wanted nor appreciated, and should be reserved for the victims of selfishness, not the loving perpetrators.

These people are stupid brain-scrambled sad sacks who have been manipulated into killing their family members and themselves. They deserve sympathy. And it doesn't matter whether one's sympathy is wanted/appreciated, sympathy isn't a transaction.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Small Gay Planet posted:

drat someone is real salty for getting kicked out of the CNA program lmao

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Small Gay Planet posted:

Just out of curiosity have you left the house for anything other than food, medicine, or outdoor exercise since this started?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Much like ICU beds, sympathy isn't limitless. After a certain point, I have to start rationing it. The easy part is determining who gets the last bits of what I can muster each day. gently caress off with this sanctimonious bullshit.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lmao gently caress off with this "lets empathize with chuds because they're victims of propoganda."

I grew up in a conservative area and we covered WW2 and propoganda, guess what? The suburban CHUDS still ate up Fox News because they lived and still live in lilly-white Christian and Catholic neighborhoods. Mommy and daddy payed for their college but they don't think higher education should be affordable or free for anyone else. They get to smoke weed in high-school, black kids who do the same thing are thugs.

This is the suburban CHUDS who own used car lots and poo poo, I do have empathy for the conservatives living in rural blight, they've been ignored and abused for a long time. The ones I grew up with recieved an education and know better. They actively choose to be wretched pieces of poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Lmao gently caress off with this "lets empathize with chuds because they're victims of propoganda."

I grew up in a conservative area and we covered WW2 and propoganda, guess what? The suburban CHUDS still ate up Fox News because they lived and still live in lilly-white Christian and Catholic neighborhoods. Mommy and daddy payed for their college but they don't think higher education should be affordable or free for anyone else. They get to smoke weed in high-school, black kids who do the same thing are thugs.

This is the suburban CHUDS who own used car lots and poo poo, I do have empathy for the conservatives living in rural blight, they've been ignored and abused for a long time. The ones I grew up with recieved an education and know better. They actively choose to be wretched pieces of poo poo.

ACAB works here too

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I feel like the current situation in the US is like watching two rocket propelled, monkey navigated drag racers, one marked "VACCINES" and the other marked "MAH RIGHTS", blasting towards the finish line and whoever wins gets a few hundred thousand lives one way or the other.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Elderbean posted:

I doubt the people you're talking about would agree with you/me that Fox News is propaganda... which means they're victims of propaganda.

So blame their ignorance and insularity, this is what made them more vulnerable to propaganda and now they will reap what they sow. Sure, to the extent that open-mindedness is a willed, voluntary part of one's personality. In my experience it's mostly circumstance. What is it about you that set you apart from them, saved you from becoming a chud?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

indiscriminately posted:

I doubt the people you're talking about would agree with you/me that Fox News is propaganda... which means they're victims of propaganda.

What is it about you that set you apart from them, saved you from becoming a chud?

Being gay, I think. It's pretty evident that conservatism is horseshit when you've never hurt anyone but you're told that you deserve to burn in hell by someone who got their stomach pumped a week ago.

Sorry, but I loving hate these people and that's not going to change. They have so much comfort and more than enough material privilege to educate themselves. They're dogshit people with a dogshit culture and the sooner FYGM suburban Christianity dissapears the better.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 18, 2020

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
I've learned with most repubs it's usually best to turn the other cheek

And fart on em

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

greazeball posted:

Much like ICU beds, sympathy isn't limitless.

Compassion is not, in fact, a limited resource.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Whether you're a don't tread on me flag toting "Patriot" conservative chud cocksucker , or a blue haired "lefty loony", one thing can't be denied that across all groups and races and wage gaps, there is a vast majority of us in America that eat like dog poo poo and don't take care of our own bodies.

Covid is already a horrible wildcard, coming into it with those odds, it's no wonder it's killing so many here.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 18, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

vyst posted:

ACAB works here too

All Republicans Are Bastards

ARAB

Hmm, I don't think that acronym will catch on.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Castaign posted:

"Fucks" on the other hand are pretty much depleted. Back in 2016 we reached "peak fucks" and if you turn your attention to this graph you'll note...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all gop are bastards? agab?

all humans are bastards, ahab

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Castaign posted:

It is if you actually pay attention to what's going on in the world.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

I assume most people here aren't doing large Thanksgivings but are any of you doing small things?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Stunt_enby posted:

I'm not killing anyone, the virus is. The lack of resources to treat the number of infected people right now isn't my fault either. The deniers made a choice. In this hypothetical situation I have to make one too.

I actually am talking to doctors right now, and the ones I've talked to have voiced similar opinions, although it's not that bad here yet (1 ER doc and 2 anesthesiologists).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

All Republicans Are Bastards

ARAB

Hmm, I don't think that acronym will catch on.

There was a cool rock band called KARP - Kill All Redneck Pricks. That one suits me fine.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

all gop are bastards? agab?

all humans are bastards, ahab

We get it, Ishmael.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Castaign posted:

there are very few people enlightened enough to manage infinite compassion, man. some of us have been waking up every day and extending compassion to the people we interact with to the point where we come home and we don't have any left for our families and ourselves. the well is dry over here and I gotta ration some of my goodwill and kindness and make sure the people I love and care about aren't the ones I lose my patience with. some people don't want my sympathy and I got good news for them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Over the last 4 years my compassion has absolutely tanked. Not only do I not care about a lot of people, I actively wish suffering on them.

I'm a changed person now and I really hate it.

I assume most people here aren't doing large Thanksgivings but are any of you doing small things?

My parents invited me over. It'd just be the three of us.

I turned them down. They're old. :(

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 18, 2020

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My parents invited me over. It'd just be the three of us.

I turned them down. They're old. :(

My sister and I are going to my mom's so its a tiny group. I still feel a little off about it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My sister and I are going to my mom's so its a tiny group. I still feel a little off about it.

Yeah the 3 of us would be perfectly fine. I figured it was going to be bigger though with my brother's family but I guess that's not the case. I already bought stuff for a lonely Thanksgiving myself so I just figured I'll stick with my plan. I'm sure my parent's will miss me greatly but hey, it's just one day. I can see them whenever.

The traveling is going to still be crazy this year and I guess it'll just make myself feel better to not be a part of it. Then I can be high and mighty and remain better than other people.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

We just cancelled visiting my parents. You can hand wave a case rate of 1/1000 for two households but we've been 10 times higher than that all month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I work in the pharmacy of a drugstore in Ohio. We just made masks mandatory for everyone...but employees aren't allowed to say anything to customers; management has to.

Then this past week, a woman that works in the customer service desk next to the pharmacy tested positive for Covid AFTER she was already coming in to work sick.

Now today I find out that the live-in boyfriend of our pregnant pharmacy tech tested positive. She's self-quarantining, but corporate said she could work until she got results.

I just finally broke down crying at work because I'm probably going to catch this poo poo because I'm the only one that actually has their mask on (correctly) all day at work here. I'm afraid of getting my Mom, who I live with (lol economy) sick.

I'm just so loving sick of it all, being around assholes and rear end in a top hat-apologists that are actively killing us.