Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another factor is that they've also been stretched thin with how many products they're being told to churn out these days

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Klowner posted:

another factor is that they've also been stretched thin with how many products they're being told to churn out these days

i think they're still doing a decent job of making interesting cards, but i imagine it just limits how long they can spend on a given product.

to me the biggest problem is that when they do catch a card or synergy that's too powerful and bring it down they then have to go through and reevaluate all the other cards they're putting out to see if something else gets to be way too much of a problem in its vacuum. at some point they have to go 'okay this is as much as we can do before we have to send these to the printers and we've done as much as we can playing whack-a-mole to what (we think) is a good spot'

a lot of their work is completely opaque to the playerbase since their fixes and changes are, yknow, happening before the cards get printed, but you can see it in a smaller form by looking at how the metas changed around any of the bans from the last few years & exactly how much of a difference a card being suddenly less effective can make.

(also now imagine having to predict those large changes while being physically unable to play anywhere near the number of games that get played on day one of a set release. fixes certainly become 'obvious' now that you've got like several thousand people's brews bouncing off each other all at once + they're only dealing with one static version of each card)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
and ON TOP OF THAT they're working through the years between the sets designed after they decided that it'd be a good idea to make cards more powerful in general to make the game less boring and whacking the outliers and the sets they're designing now after realizing that doing that is exhausting the playerbase

i cannot imagine how frustrating it is to deal with complaints that you know internally have been dealt with and lessons have been learned, except you can't say anything concretely because those results are in a set coming out in a year and a half + the next set is one you built while still hearing from the playerbase how weak of a color green was these days

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Huxley posted:

When you Bloodbraid into Bonecrusher, can you cast the stomp side?

I cant think of a reason why you couldn't.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bugsy posted:

I cant think of a reason why you couldn't.

It looks like yes, but it goes off the creatures cmc for cascadeability since it doesn't have the characteristics of the spell until it's on the stack.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jotun Grunt is kind of a maybe. Like they wouldn't just throw that in a core set, there would probably be some kind of self mill mechanic or something that would make that upkeep payable for a couple turns at least. Or, it could be good in the sideboard against mill in our current standard. Like, they turn 1 Ruin Crab, you play that turn 2. Its a 4/4 that shuts off mill and probably won't be counter-able, and unless they deal with it immediately, it shuts off their lords and drown in the loch, as well as that draw 4 card

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Has anyone ever done an SA Trad Games Magic Tournament? I imagine with direct matches on Arena it'd be possible, assuming everyone agreed on a format, people managed to schedule their matches and actually play them, etc.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Klowner posted:

What I'm really interested in seeing is the rejected ideas for titans of the other color pairs. Maro literally said they could only think of two good ones so those are the ones they printed lol

I just gotta know if the UR Titan was Faithless Looting and Snapcaster Mage on a 6/6 body for equivalent Kroxa CMC

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Leperflesh posted:

Has anyone ever done an SA Trad Games Magic Tournament? I imagine with direct matches on Arena it'd be possible, assuming everyone agreed on a format, people managed to schedule their matches and actually play them, etc.

There were some MTGO thunderdomes for pauper and I think legacy? Back in the day, I played in a few of the pauper ones and they were good fun.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Leperflesh posted:

There's were MTGoon leagues many many years ago, I think the last one I participated in was Time Spiral sealed league using simulated pools and a bizarre trade in process.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Multiple! There even was a Modern one to speculate on some banned cards (most of which are now unbanned!)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm still waiting for my opponent to connect on Apprentice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmmmm. I'm doing TG secret santa through December but maybe an SA tournament would be a fun project for January.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
We should absolutely arrange a goon tournament on arena for prizes

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sit on my Facebook posted:

We should absolutely arrange a goon tournament on arena for prizes

IK powers in the mtg thread?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

flatluigi posted:

it's worth remembering that they go through dozens of iterations of these cards over months and months and there's a relatively tiny handful of cards that get created and go all the way to the printer without getting at least one tweak. oko itself went through quite a few changes (from more official dev talk elsewhere) and joking about how they were all too drunk to see the Obvious Issues is a pretty lovely way to talk about the game

When you're right, you're right. i started writing the post to express my views about fantasy card patching, but trailed off into a stupid joke. in reality it's probably a bunch of factors like management and workload in play. plus i pay 30 bucks a month and eventually get all the cards on arena so it's not a big deal.

plus, i actually love playing Uro gtfo with your stupid aggro decks

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the designers have a tough job but that doesn't mean I'm going to forgive them for *gestures towards omnath, uro, lucky clover, and the entirety of the rogue deck*

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Julius Seizure posted:

plus, i actually love playing Uro gtfo with your stupid aggro decks

Actually my aggro deck loves it when you tap out on turn 3 to do nothing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Huxley posted:

When you Bloodbraid into Bonecrusher, can you cast the stomp side?

You can.
When you cascade you're looking for a spell with a CMC less than the CMC of the spell you cast (so in this case, less than four).
Bone crusher giant meets those requirements so you get permission to cast the card. (rule 715.4)
Then as you cast a spell with adventure you get to choose which side to cast (rule 715.3)
So: You cast BBE, you flip the Giant, and as you cast the giant you choose to cast the adventure.

Fun fact: Because BBE is only looking at the non-adventure side you could cast an adventure with a CMC greater than 4, because it doesn't have the higher CMC until you go to cast it. (Flaxen intruder, for example)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

aggro decks are for the proletariat only the bourgeoisie can afford to sit on their hands for three turns we do work with 1/1s

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

that's great cause i love doing that too

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Leperflesh posted:

I'd be down to organize. Sounds like fun.

Some Goon posted:

IK powers in the mtg thread?

"Second prize is MTG thread IK. First prize is you're banned. Third prize is this lovely set of utility knives"

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's a historic best of 3 tournament, starts on 12/1, one round per week unless it's finished faster, honor system

https://battlefy.com/sa-goons-tournaments/historic-bo3/5fb57b96698db1048d26fe82/info

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Leperflesh posted:

I'd be down to organize. Sounds like fun.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Hmmmm. I'm doing TG secret santa through December but maybe an SA tournament would be a fun project for January.

I did a survey for peoples interest based on this a while back to see what people thought about a potential goon tournament after Theros release, but I never followed through with it. Here are some of the interesting results from that survey:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Boo goon arena tournament.
Yay goon mtgo tournament.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Supposed to play a cockatrice legacy tournament on friday. I'm considering adding some lands into manaless dredge and playing the deck below as a test before getting the bits I need to play it in paper.

Does anyone have sideboard/deck advice? I don't have any duals, force of wills or LEDs. Was thinking the split of breakthrough/careful study/cabal therapy might be somethign to change. Flame kin is there as a dread return target so I'm not waiting a turn to attack if I manage to flip things. Would more dread return be useful?
or street wraiths in the main as a way to draw without getting countered?

4 Golgari Grave-Troll
4 Golgari Thug
3 Ichorid
3 Narcomoeba
4 Putrid Imp
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Tireless Tribe
2 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
1 Flame-Kin Zealot
4 Bridge from Below
4 Cephalid Coliseum
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Mana Confluence
3 Breakthrough
3 Cabal Therapy
4 Careful Study
2 Dread Return

3 Leyline of the Void
3 Firestorm
3 Chain of Vapor
2 Serenity
3 faerie macabre
1 ashen rider

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 18, 2020

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Goon fake format tournaments are the best. I fondly remember the "everything from supplemental releases" tournament where I absolutely should have played Goblin Welder but instead played what can only be described as Lotleth Troll Midrange Reanimator.

The "build your own standard" tournaments were great too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Goon fake format tournaments are the best. I fondly remember the "everything from supplemental releases" tournament where I absolutely should have played Goblin Welder but instead played what can only be described as Lotleth Troll Midrange Reanimator.

The "build your own standard" tournaments were great too.

Homelands/Dark/Fallen Empires constructed was a wild ride. People were playing random protection from black idiots main deck since no other colour was playable.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i ran goblins in the pauper challenge back in 2016 or so and won a semifinal match against reality acid by drawing a lethal threat for 9 turns in a row while he finally ran out of removal on the 9th

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The Klowner posted:

the designers have a tough job but that doesn't mean I'm going to forgive them for *gestures towards omnath, uro, lucky clover, and the entirety of the rogue deck*

The Rogue deck is easily forgivable because it was probably completely unplayable in the standard they were testing because we had to ban so many cards to get to where we are now :lol:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ha, wait what happened with MTGO?

https://twitter.com/NumotTheNummy/status/1329192144888762368

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Homelands/Dark/Fallen Empires constructed was a wild ride. People were playing random protection from black idiots main deck since no other colour was playable.

A discord I'm in did a custom format thats Homelands/Dark/FE, the three Portal sets, Kamigawa Block, and Ice Age block including Cold Snap. It is way more fun than I ever expected it to be.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

It loads so fast now tho

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Lone Goat posted:

this sounds cool tbh

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Wezlar posted:

The Rogue deck is easily forgivable because it was probably completely unplayable in the standard they were testing because we had to ban so many cards to get to where we are now :lol:

Just loving imagine hitting your opponent with incidental mill in a format where the best card is Uro.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Just loving imagine hitting your opponent with incidental mill in a format where the best card is Uro.

:shepicide:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/DesertBus/status/1329303018265735172

this is kind of ridiculous

edit: giveaway's over now, they made something like $50k for charity during that

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 19, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
IDGI