Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The same chemical that gets your lining out the door can also leak into your bowels and urinary system, hence we piss and poo poo a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also when your pelvic muscles contract, everything in that location gets pushed on. And urine/feces knocking on your sphincters is the cue for your brain to give you the urge to urinate/defecate.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's the waking up thirsty I can't stand, it's kicking my rear end this time. I feel absolutely drained, like all my insides are coming out and I'm gonna just deflate onto the floor in a sad little puddle. Bleeeurgghh.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://twitter.com/Ciaraioch/status/1327700388833882118

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/tryptofantastic/status/1214639486723862531

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Just got off the phone with my doctor, he's recommending a mirena coil. Anyone got experience dealing with those?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I know it's because I grew up with someone who is STILL menstruating (occasionally), but I still find it strange that there are preteen/teenage uterus-havers out there who didn't know that periods are monthly. I mean, poo poo -- "monthlies" is a slang term for them.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Well until you experience it, you also don't realise what a loving pain it is, especially since there's often a lot of flowery language around the day you finally "become a woman". There's much less about the bloody details you're going to be dealing with for the next several decades, unless you have very good sex education

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Yeah, there's knowing something intellectually and internalizing it as something that is happening to you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pyrotoad posted:

Just got off the phone with my doctor, he's recommending a mirena coil. Anyone got experience dealing with those?

I'm on my second Mirena and I love it!

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Pyrotoad posted:

Copper IUD to Mirena convert reporting in, my period is all but non-existent bloodspill-wise, my pms rage has been significantly tempered

still get the back aches and the Schroedinger's poops but not having to worry about carrying tampons etc is super nice

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Pyrotoad posted:

Also loved my Mirena, had it for just short of 5 years. Never had a period on it which was GREAT. Never tried a copper one.

It did cause some cysts for me, but they went away on their own and never required medical attention. To me that pain was worth no periods.

Only went off it cause now we're trying to get preggo.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'd only recommend the copper one if you're specifically looking to avoid hormones. That's why I chose it and it worked for my needs but it did make my periods heavier and crampier. If I'd had difficult periods to begin with, it wouldn't have been worth it to me.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Excellent all around then, I'll not bother asking about the copper version at all since the whole point is to reduce my periods as much as possible. Thanks for the reports!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I was on mirena for around 15 months and I bled like crazy for the first 3 weeks, then settled into regular periods after that. My body does not skip periods though.

Back when I was a teenager and on the pill I tried to skip the sugar pills so I would skip my period, and no dice. My period came back 3 months postpartum with my first kid and 6 weeks postpartum with my second, breastfeeding both times.

My uterus just wants to shed.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

General Bullshit > menstruation megathread: My uterus just wants to shed

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Enfys posted:

This needs to be the thread title

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Enfys posted:

Well until you experience it, you also don't realise what a loving pain it is, especially since there's often a lot of flowery language around the day you finally "become a woman". There's much less about the bloody details you're going to be dealing with for the next several decades, unless you have very good sex education

I was ready to explain menstruation to my nieces as pretty much it's like you're pissing blood, but you don't feel it. You will feel the sensations of someone kicking you in the lower stomach in short spurts, you might feel the wetness when the pad shifts or the cup isn't in fully, you will feel like you ate an entire turkey with all the Thanksgiving day trimmings, and yes, someone is still kicking you in the lower stomach. Also, your breasts will probably be super tender, and you might get horrible fits of anxiety, paranoia, and think everyone can smell it on you.

And if you ever get snippy or irritated about anything, regardless of when your cycle is, people will snark you have PMS.

Any vacation or fun time you have planned will likely trigger your body to start bleeding.

It is not fun, it is not "becoming a woman," it's the price we women pay for genetic certainty.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
My partner loses 500mls of blood every period and is thinking about getting a Mirena. It seems some in this thread have had some success.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

And if you ever get snippy or irritated about anything, regardless of when your cycle is, people will snark you have PMS.

And if you end up having endometriosis or another issue where you periods cause horrible pain, people will dismiss your suffering, so either way you lose

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

YeahTubaMike posted:

I know it's because I grew up with someone who is STILL menstruating (occasionally), but I still find it strange that there are preteen/teenage uterus-havers out there who didn't know that periods are monthly. I mean, poo poo -- "monthlies" is a slang term for them.

My mom had a hysterectomy when I was a baby so I very much felt kind of on my own, since she never really talked about what hers were like.

ALSO THANKS FOR COMING TWO DAYS EARLY AND RUINING MY PLANS WITH MY BOYFRIEND.

It’s literally never early and most of the times it’s a few days late, what the fuuuuck

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Enfys posted:

Wake up in the middle of the night
I can tell from my guts something just isn't right
There it is, a big red stain in the bed
My uterus just wants to she-ed
My uterus just wants to shed

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Who's super horny cause she's ovulating? This broad right here.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I just glanced at my wife's birth control packet and it's a week and a half away. This is usually when she starts to get emotional and mood swing-ey.

Time to hang out in the basement and play darts while she reads and anger-cleans for a couple days.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Enfys posted:

I got 100% of my sex ed from my mom, who thankfully isn't reticent about anything like that.

Emily Spinach posted:

Yeah, there's knowing something intellectually and internalizing it as something that is happening to you.

I don't know, I think it's because I saw my mom napping on the couch & taking aspirins every month that I just sort of expected that life for myself. It wasn't something I really thought to lament.

CherryCola posted:

My mom had a hysterectomy when I was a baby so I very much felt kind of on my own, since she never really talked about what hers were like.

My grandmother had a hysterectomy when she was 47, my occasionally menstruating mom is now 54 and doesn't really know what to expect, and I'm 33 just sort of sitting back & watching/waiting.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Enfys posted:

And if you end up having endometriosis or another issue where you periods cause horrible pain, people will dismiss your suffering, so either way you lose

I have endo, and once had a female doctor ask me if I had tried ibuprofen. Shes dead now.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

I have endo, and once had a female doctor ask me if I had tried ibuprofen. Shes dead now.

from endo, I hope

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

YeahTubaMike posted:

My grandmother had a hysterectomy when she was 47, my occasionally menstruating mom is now 54 and doesn't really know what to expect, and I'm 33 just sort of sitting back & watching/waiting.

Oh yeah, so my mom, both my aunts and now one of my cousins have all had fibroid tumors resulting in hysterectomies. So I am HYPER vigilant about any weirdness going on with my cycle. Getting doctors to actually give a poo poo is another thing...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CherryCola posted:

Oh yeah, so my mom, both my aunts and now one of my cousins have all had fibroid tumors resulting in hysterectomies. So I am HYPER vigilant about any weirdness going on with my cycle. Getting doctors to actually give a poo poo is another thing...

My grandmother, great-aunt, all of my great-aunt's daughters, my mom, and I all have fibroids. My grandmother had to have a hysterectomy because apparently one of her fibroids was the size of a six-month fetus. I have four large fibroids that I'm like, 80% sure I can actually feel -- the place I tried to make an appointment tried to call me back exactly one time, which I didn't know because they didn't leave a message. :shrug:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I got a mirena ius inserted 5 years ago. So little bleeding, so few period! My womb was not being dragged out of me on a monthly basis! Bliss.
Unforch, period cravings and acne continue unabated.

Putting it in was harsh, my then-BF had to hold me down while the doctor cranked me open and shot a bolt up my business. Yes I made him get involved, he was getting the 'feel good' benefits.

My sister had one put in after her first child and had a fuckin nightmare with it trying to eject so it's not guaranteed good times.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 17, 2020

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
In addition to the early period, I also have some of the worst cramps I’ve had in a LONG time. Like moaning-in-bed-boyfriend-is-concerned godawfulness. I don’t even have any unhealthy snacks because I’m trying to change my diet. gently caress

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Why are sitcoms making me cry right now

*Glances at calendar*

Oh.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I feel like my experience of periods is fundamentally different to my mother's, because I'm pretty sure she had the really polite kind that you just dealt with with a couple of dinky little tampons and otherwise ignored, whereas I have the kind where it's quiet for days 1 and 2, then hold on to your fuckin hats, you need mega tampons plus pads and you'll be changing those tampons every two hours for about 18 hours.

And she is not super good with experiences that do not exactly mirror her own. :(

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pookah posted:

I feel like my experience of periods is fundamentally different to my mother's, because I'm pretty sure she had the really polite kind that you just dealt with with a couple of dinky little tampons and otherwise ignored, whereas I have the kind where it's quiet for days 1 and 2, then hold on to your fuckin hats, you need mega tampons plus pads and you'll be changing those tampons every two hours for about 18 hours.

And she is not super good with experiences that do not exactly mirror her own. :(

It’s me I’m your mom now, let’s bond over period tsunamis and idk, you like weed, kid?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Extremely bad brain fog day. Accidentally bought dog food instead of cat food. Can't focus on anything.

Can antibiotics make periods worse? I just finished up a round after dental surgery and I'm wondering if that's why my body is going loving crazy.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Pookah posted:

ElHuevoGrande posted:

This. My first obygyny when I was a preteen didn’t want to put me on the “slut pill” since I was eleven even though my periods were out of control hemorrhaging and came every two weeks with cramps so bad I couldn’t walk.

He told my mom it was nbd and wrote a scrip for 400mg ibuprofen to give the school nurse so I could “take care of it myself “

gently caress literally everyone. And gently caress every cis white dude who goes into gynecology. Also, gently caress all the parents, especially the moms, who like mine believed other people over their own children’s suffering with poo poo like this.

I used to skip out of high school on afternoons when my cramps were too bad and walk home slowly -pep talking myself that if I just made it home I could get Advil and a hot pad and lay really still so it would be bearable. That was my reward to myself- being still and curled up tight so I could at least breathe through the pain and be alone without having to put on a brave face for anyone.

Edit: this also led to me not handling it for more than a decade until I wound up hemorrhaging blood all over an ER in unimaginable pain. Everyone around me for my entire life acted like it was no big and I needed to just tough it out, so why would I ever think to do anything else?

Zoesdare fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 19, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When a boy in my high school science class once complained about girls and PMS, the lady teacher asked him if he'd ever been kicked in the groin. Of course the class laughed, but the dude got a bit angry and said yeah, it happens in sports. Great, said the teacher, now imagine someone is kicking you there, but no one else can see it, and it happens all throughout the day and night for a week.

Every month.

For the next 40-50 years.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Zoesdare posted:

This. My first obygyny when I was a preteen didn’t want to put me on the “slut pill” since I was eleven even though my periods were out of control hemorrhaging and came every two weeks with cramps so bad I couldn’t walk.

He told my mom it was nbd and wrote a scrip for 400mg ibuprofen to give the school nurse so I could “take care of it myself “

gently caress literally everyone. And gently caress every cis white dude who goes into gynecology. Also, gently caress all the parents, especially the moms, who like mine believed other people over their own children’s suffering with poo poo like this.

I used to skip out of high school on afternoons when my cramps were too bad and walk home slowly -pep talking myself that if I just made it home I could get Advil and a hot pad and lay really still so it would be bearable. That was my reward to myself- being still and curled up tight so I could at least breathe through the pain and be alone without having to put on a brave face for anyone.

My parents would not take me having endo seriously until I changed out my pad and tampon before leaving the house, changed the tampon at the restaurant, and still flooded over it, my pad, and my pants before we left and my mom had to make me a skirt out of napkins to leave (and made me sit on an old windbreaker in the car) in like, 8th grade. I was sobbing, it was humiliating and everything hurt. I did get to go on birth control shortly after though, and was lucky enough that BC controlled it. Depo owned so loving hard for like 15 years and then all the sudden the side effects showed up like a goddamn freight train and I've had Mirenas on semi-short schedule replacements since.

Really, really wish I could get a partial hysterectomy and get the uterus yanked tf out but I don't trust current gynecological solutions to post-op prevention of vaginal prolapse (spoilered for the squeamish) so riding out the 4-year Mirena rotations until my 50s I guess.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It really would be great if people didn't care that birth control didn't mean you were gonna gently caress everything within miles.

But since we can't change the culture of loving men, in the short term, can medical companies start a new brand campaign that makes birth control pills called something like Monthly Relief, and market them as for your period instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

It really would be great if people didn't care that birth control didn't mean you were gonna gently caress everything within miles.

But since we can't change the culture of loving men, in the short term, can medical companies start a new brand campaign that makes birth control pills called something like Monthly Relief, and market them as for your period instead?

Fun fact: this was how they were initially sold due to the laws against advertising birth control! :eng101:

...However, you had to be married to get the pill.

We should bring that marketing back. Minus it being for married women only to prevent SLUTS from getting their dirty paws on it.