Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Any house near Main St south of Broadway in Vancouver was going like 400k over ask minimum. Crazy. Gotta do your inspection before offer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

CocoaNuts posted:

The train may not be steaming ahead at a steady pace but it's still in motion:

Home sales slowed in October but average price up 15% in past year, CREA says

The average price of a Canadian resale home has risen by more than 15 per cent in the year up to October, the Canadian Real Estate Association said Monday.

The group that represents more than 130,000 real estate agents across Canada said that last month was the busiest October ever for home sales, continuing a trend that started in May after COVID-19 lockdowns in March and April put the market into a deep freeze.

While sales plummeted in the early days of the pandemic, they have been on fire ever since. Some 56,186 homes changed hands during the month, bringing the total tally of 2020 as a whole to 461,818. That's the second-busiest 10-month stretch ever.

Sales continued to boom compared to normal levels, and prices seem to be doing the same thing.

The average price of a resale home sold on CREA's MLS system went for $607,250. That's up by 15.2 per cent compared to last October. Six provinces saw double digit gains and one — Manitoba — missed it by a hair, at 9.6 per cent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/home-sales-october-1.5803344

Nothing to see here, folks. Keep on pickling yourself in debt. Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1327318821703704577?s=20

As we head into a second/third/whatever wave of COVID-19 that we are completely botching up, continued rise in house prices are just fine. Maybe government will stop backstopping everything eventually after all?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/OwenInVan/status/1328811093104357377?s=20

bubu I was told the only thing holding back moar housing was zoning?!?!?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

You know what TD, you're right. I'm too hard on the older generations for completely loving over my generation. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/DJDynamicNC/status/1328879791064363009

Time to rise and grind let's go boss boys and boss girls - get that money and deposit it into the TD™ Ultra High Interest Mega Savers Account™ (0.005% Interest with minimum balance of $1,000,000)

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Slotducks posted:

You know what TD, you're right. I'm too hard on the older generations for completely loving over my generation. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/DJDynamicNC/status/1328879791064363009

Time to rise and grind let's go boss boys and boss girls - get that money and deposit it into the TD™ Ultra High Interest Mega Savers Account™ (0.005% Interest with minimum balance of $1,000,000)

These people can get bent. ‘Don’t challenge the bullshit, just accept that your elders collectively hosed you over and will leave you with the bill.’

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"There's no point in trying anything, you're hosed, just accept it and move on"

Thanks, TD!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You're less class mobile than you think!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

So I'm trying to buy a house in the hamilton/brantford area and apparently I've picked the worst time for it possible - but I picked through all the listing data and have gone back to see what things sold for and this game we're playing is really loving stupid.
Bear in mind this is all anecdotal evidence and sample sizes are really small
From the listings we've been offered and shown:

Asking price ranges: 400k - 550k

Hamilton
23 Listings
Average Price increase from Ask to Sold: 71k
Median Price increase from Ask to Sold: 70k
Max Asking Price difference: 155k
Min Asking Price difference: $2k

Brantford
15 Listings
Average Price increase from Ask to Sold: 38k
Median Price increase from Ask to Sold: 35k
Max Asking Price difference: 95k
Min Asking Price difference: -$14.9k

Thoughts:
1. gently caress realtors for trying to keep their data private - took me about 2 hours to manually pull all this data through and had to use multiple websites due to either a) missing information or b) conflicting numbers
2. gently caress our government for not having any rule in place to keep asking prices to be anywhere sensible
3. It's a complete crapshoot. Looking at comparables mean nothing at all right now.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oh no! :ohdear:

quote:

For many employers, remote work is quickly leading to both reduced control and productivity. This trend is rising as employees are becoming accustomed to working remotely and realize how little the employer is monitoring their activities.

Family members and pets tug at the attention of an employee ostensibly “at work.” There are the possible interruptions of a knock at the door or a call on the landline. But beyond those innocent distractions, generally understood to be acceptable because it is unavoidable, there is a more insidious attention fiend: time theft.

That occurs when an employee is not working despite being paid for their time. Sometimes they are doing nothing at all. In other cases, the employee engages in personal activities but does not inform their employer or, worse, intentionally misleads their employer about their activities and whereabouts.

It’s easier for an employer to discover, and monitor, time theft in a workplace compared to remotely. In industrial establishments, employees taking a longer lunch or loitering near the punch clock are highly visible. In offices, it’s clear when an employee is making their rounds socializing, rather than working at their desk.

By contrast, remote workers are invisible and far more difficult to monitor. Left to their own devices, they are subject to the allure of a trip to the park, a drink on the patio, or a favourite television program. Before COVID-19, if I were to ask whether most workers would happily accept their regular pay in exchange for staying home to bake a loaf of bread or to scroll through social media, the answer would be obvious.

One way to reduce the risk of time theft is to schedule employee breaks and lunches at set hours, to ensure employee’s expected availability at a certain time and to require that employees be readily available when contacted during working hours, with the expectation that they be in their quiet home office then, rather than somewhere where there might be noise in the background.

Employee productivity can also be monitored by comparing the output of their colleagues or their own efficiency when they were at the office. When the results of an employee’s work product are measurable and appear below the output of others, it might be a sign of time theft.

Of course, the easiest way to identify time thieves is through the use of technology. Many digital collaborative tools will indicate whether someone is in a meeting, at their computer or, if away from their computer, how long they have been away.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Slotducks posted:

So I'm trying to buy a house in the hamilton/brantford area and apparently I've picked the worst time for it possible - but I picked through all the listing data and have gone back to see what things sold for and this game we're playing is really loving stupid.
Bear in mind this is all anecdotal evidence and sample sizes are really small
From the listings we've been offered and shown:

Hamilton
23 Listings
Average Price increase from Ask to Sold: 71k
Median Price increase from Ask to Sold: 70k
Max Asking Price difference: 155k
Min Asking Price difference: $2k

Brantford
15 Listings
Average Price increase from Ask to Sold: 38k
Median Price increase from Ask to Sold: 35k
Max Asking Price difference: 95k
Min Asking Price difference: -$14.9k

Thoughts:
1. gently caress realtors for trying to keep their data private - took me about 2 hours to manually pull all this data through and had to use multiple websites due to either a) missing information or b) conflicting numbers
2. gently caress our government for not having any rule in place to keep asking prices to be anywhere sensible
3. It's a complete crapshoot. Looking at comparables mean nothing at all right now.

Not to give them a pass but I'm not sure realtors even know how to price anything right now because the market is even more nuts than usual. Late last month in Mississauga I lost out on a townhouse. The seller had priced it at 50k above a very close comparable from 7 weeks prior. My realtor thought they had priced it too high and assumed it would go for maybe 25k over the comparable and didn't expect competition. It went for 20k over ask (ie 70k over the comparable, or almost 10%) and there were 7 other offers. Insanity.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why yes, when I was in the office I was doing work 100% of the time, no doubt about it.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Why yes, when I was in the office I was doing work 100% of the time, no doubt about it.

Written by an employment lawyer trying to drum up work. Let's not trust anyone and performance manage them if output is not what it's supposed to be, let's just put gizmos on their computer to monitor their eye movement. Someone watched Brazil too many times.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

Not to give them a pass but I'm not sure realtors even know how to price anything right now because the market is even more nuts than usual. Late last month in Mississauga I lost out on a townhouse. The seller had priced it at 50k above a very close comparable from 7 weeks prior. My realtor thought they had priced it too high and assumed it would go for maybe 25k over the comparable and didn't expect competition. It went for 20k over ask (ie 70k over the comparable, or almost 10%) and there were 7 other offers. Insanity.

It's also kind of meaningless. If a house is gonna sell for $500k I could 'ask' 499k, 450k, or even $1 and it wouldn't make much of a difference to the final 500 value but the 'amount above asking' would be all over the place.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Luckily my VPN logs the amount of time I have it running and my screen is blanked because of sensitive data so the only output they can measure is time logged in. Looks like I'll be getting paid overtime since I leave it on during my lunch break!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's also kind of meaningless. If a house is gonna sell for $500k I could 'ask' 499k, 450k, or even $1 and it wouldn't make much of a difference to the final 500 value but the 'amount above asking' would be all over the place.

Agreed, which is why the first thing I do when I'm going to make an offer is ask my realtor for comparables sales and then go from there.

My realtor says he always encourages sellers to just be realistic and price accordingly.

If you price lower than what you actually will accept and then start rejecting above-asking offers you're just wasting everyone's time. Then time passes, you've got 30 days on market in a hot market, and people think your house has mold or foundation issues or something because it's priced low and isn't moving.

On the other hand if you price too high people will just outright filter you out and you'll end up having to relist several times to get a bite. This isn't terrible if you've got time and/or if your house is a weird/unique property that's hard to price.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HookShot posted:

"There's no point in trying anything, you're hosed, just accept it and move on"

Thanks, TD!
Eat at Arby's.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Real estate pricing, outside of P&S agreements, is just marketing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My mortgage broker just called to remind me about renewal in a couple months. Since I bought five years ago value is up a tiny bit, and interest rates are down. Everything went better than expected I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m coming up on the 4 year anniversary of this thread telling me to wait a few months before buying a house so I could save hundreds of thousands of dollars. Any month now, prices will drop precipitously...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

I’m coming up on the 4 year anniversary of this thread telling me to wait a few months before buying a house so I could save hundreds of thousands of dollars. Any month now, prices will drop precipitously...

I'll take it off your hands for.... hmmm... 50%... no 65% of what you paid, if you want to get out now.

I know this is extremely generous but you've always seemed like a good egg to me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, an optimal investment strategy over the last four years would have involved buying loads of bitcoin, Tesla stock, Zoom Technologies (and selling it before the SEC halted trading) and then Zoom Video Communications, and I'm pretty sure nobody predicted much or any of that.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No poo poo it's meaningless but it also leads to places getting 18+ offers on the table at one time. It's bullshit and a massive waste of a huge amount of time.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Subjunctive posted:

I bought 2 years ago and would have bought earlier but cancer kept us from moving. So glad I never listened to this thread. Yeah, housing is going to crash... when the rest of our dumb economy crashes. And we'll all be hosed then anyway. Look at the stock market doing great during an economy-crushing pandemic. Can anyone tell me that any of this makes any sense? That it's linked to reality in any way? It's all based on the delusions of boomers because boomers have all the money. So invest in whatever boomers are into and you'll do well. Until they die in another 20-30 years anyway. They think real estate is safe, so it is. They think the economy can somehow be fine during a pandemic, so it is. The stock market is just wishful thinking made manifest.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Shot:

https://financialpost.com/real-estate/canada-housing-squeeze-buyers-moving-up-handcuffed-by-hard-to-sell-condos-2

quote:

Canada's housing squeeze: Buyers who want to move up are being 'handcuffed' by their hard-to-sell condos
The cracks appearing in the condo market may well become the fault-line in Canada's housing market

Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Nichola Saminather and Julie Gordon
Publishing date:Nov 17, 2020 • Last Updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read

TORONTO/OTTAWA — Eager to move his young family into a house with a backyard amid the pandemic, Dale-Paul Jordan listed his Toronto condo for sale last month and prepared to start bidding on detached homes.

But the condo didn’t sell or get a single viewing. And when another seller in the building slashed their asking price, Jordan and his wife pulled the unit off the market and decided to delay their dream until spring at least.

“One of the things we’re handcuffed to is selling our condo to help with the downpayment,” Jordan said.

The couple are among a growing cohort of would-be buyers in Canada keen to move up the property ladder, but are trapped by a flood of condos in the Toronto and Vancouver markets. The situation is only expected to worsen with a near-record number of new condos under construction.

The COVID-19 pandemic has sped up a flight to the suburbs, with big-city condo dwellers trading up to detached homes with backyards and home offices, mirroring trends seen in cities like New York and London.

Their spending power has also been bolstered by record-low interest rates.

But as more people find themselves in the Jordans’ position, there will be fewer buyers for detached homes, real estate experts said, and that could have a trickle-down effect on the red-hot detached home market.

The cracks appearing in the condo market may well become the fault-line in Canada’s housing market. The average home price in Canada has climbed 17 per cent since October 2019.

“Many buyers of single-family homes are move-up buyers who are relying on the sale of their condo in order to climb the property ladder,” said Vancouver agent and analyst Steve Saretsky in a note.

The average sale price of a detached home in the Toronto area is nearly 15 per cent higher than a year ago, while condos have gained less than 1 per cent. The widening gap is putting pressure on condo sellers trying to upgrade.

Indeed some agents say they have had clients on the brink of reneging on detached home offers, because of worries they won’t be able to sell their condo.

“We came very close a few times but we got the deal done,” said Thomas Mirkovich, a Toronto-based broker. “I had to have a lot of ‘come to Jesus’ moment conversations.”

Add in other pressures – Canada’s still-high unemployment rate, a sharp drop in immigration, and the winding down of mortgage deferral programs and emergency pandemic benefits – and conditions could be ripe for a reckoning.

“Now people can’t sell their condos downtown. Nobody wants to buy a condo,” Hilliard MacBeth, a portfolio manager and author of ‘When the Bubble Bursts,’ said in an interview.

“The government support means the real start of the recession has just been delayed.”

Today's cut rate may be tomorrow's good price

Detached home sales in Toronto’s suburbs surged from a year ago, while active listings are at their lowest since 2016. But in the city center, a cliff is looming, with listings doubling as sales slide, and 22,434 new units set for completion in the Toronto area in 2021.

The surge in condos for sale is partly driven by investors facing a dearth of renters amid lower immigration, job losses and the evaporation of short-term rental demand due to pandemic-linked travel restrictions.

Condos for rent in the Toronto area doubled in the third quarter from a year ago and rents have plunged.

Prices are still up on the year, but falling by the month.

Toronto real estate agent Scott Ingram said he recently helped a couple who had bought a house outside the city sell their downtown condo.

When they first started talking, comparable units were selling for around $700,000. By the time they listed six weeks later, they had to settle for $641,000.

Moody’s Analytics forecasts that Canadian home prices will drop 7 per cent in 2021, with both detached and condos falling. It sees Toronto area prices slipping to early 2017 levels and not fully recovering until mid-2023.

Ingram expects condo prices to continue to tumble as inventory piles up, and sellers who hold off may regret doing so.

“Today’s cut rate may be tomorrow’s good price,” he said.

© Thomson Reuters 2020

Chaser, from a reddit discussion about this:

:negative:

Someone post the Toronto personal finance chad/virgin picture again here please.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Slotducks posted:

So I'm trying to buy a house in the hamilton/brantford area...

I feel your pain. I bought a home last year. I was really frustrated by the whole process.

I lost several offers by being outbid $20k+ when I already placed a bid well over asking. 8 offers on a home was normal. many were sold within 24 hours. People went to see them immediately when they went up on the realtor's site but before they even had an open house or made it online on realtor.ca or zolo.ca

The list prices are all bullshit, just focus on what you want and bid what you think is a fair offer. Bid below asking on properties which aren't moving. Go see something which is listed for $600 and bid $550K if that's your max. If it's been sitting on the market it's not necessarily a defect with the house, it can just be because they priced it too high and people didn't rush to go and see it.

If you can save yourself the monthly cost of a car by spending more to live in burlington vs hamilton/brantford then I think that's worth it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Philman posted:

If you can save yourself the monthly cost of a car by spending more to live in burlington vs hamilton/brantford then I think that's worth it.

Reiterating that commuting from Hamilton to my workplace on western edge of Oakville broke my brain and I don't recommend it. There are not a lot of alternates when traffic is heavy.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
One of my neighbours has had their place listed for about two months now and they're around 25-50k too high. They're very patiently waiting to get their price rather than going for a lower list and bidding war, which is how other good comparables have sold at/above their price. This is actually pretty annoying vs a quick auction because they're close enough to market that it's still getting a LOT of traffic and viewings on an otherwise very quiet dead end and I'm a bit concerned someone might smoke our kids on the way out as a healthy portion of the "drive by" traffic take it pretty fast after they've turned around.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Philman posted:

I feel your pain. I bought a home last year. I was really frustrated by the whole process.

I lost several offers by being outbid $20k+ when I already placed a bid well over asking. 8 offers on a home was normal. many were sold within 24 hours. People went to see them immediately when they went up on the realtor's site but before they even had an open house or made it online on realtor.ca or zolo.ca

The list prices are all bullshit, just focus on what you want and bid what you think is a fair offer. Bid below asking on properties which aren't moving. Go see something which is listed for $600 and bid $550K if that's your max. If it's been sitting on the market it's not necessarily a defect with the house, it can just be because they priced it too high and people didn't rush to go and see it.

I appreciate the insight - I was prepared by a lot of friends telling it me it was a horrible soul draining process and it's actually worse than I pictured it in my head. I can't stand this.

Price ranges in Burlington are so egregious that we considered condos here - but the maintenance fees on them are astronomical, a bunch of them still have kitec, and public transit is so bad in Burlington that we would still need cars.

I just can't believe (I totally get why) our government just does nothing about the state of real estate; it's this massive bubble that's bound to pop and they'll do nothing about it until it does; and when it does, they'll likely only bail out those who were extremely overleveraged and irresponsible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slotducks posted:

when it does, they'll likely only bail out those who were extremely overleveraged and irresponsible.

Well, and the banks who loaned to them.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Slotducks posted:

Price ranges in Burlington are so egregious that we considered condos here - but the maintenance fees on them are astronomical, a bunch of them still have kitec, and public transit is so bad in Burlington that we would still need cars.

at one point my realtor told me not to bid more than I think it's worth and I really stopped feeling bad about not getting a place because I wasn't willing to outbid some boomer who was trying to downsize into what I was trying to upsize into.

Burlington specifically:

Looking today the prices have gone up about 10% since last year but it could still be possible to get something in those ranges. I would just advise patience. definitely stay away from the kitec plumbing poo poo. the high $800 fees are a warning sign but the $500 fees are now the norm. also avoid electric baseboard heating.

The transit is actually not as bad as it seems, If you're taking the bus to and from downtown or the Go station there isn't a lot of traffic to impede the bus in the mornings or the evenings. If you're taking it up and down one of the major arteries it's okay. It's not great. it still doesn't have dedicated lanes around the Go station.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cold on a Cob posted:

Shot:

https://financialpost.com/real-estate/canada-housing-squeeze-buyers-moving-up-handcuffed-by-hard-to-sell-condos-2

Chaser, from a reddit discussion about this:

:negative:

Someone post the Toronto personal finance chad/virgin picture again here please.

Lmao. He "lost" money because he didn't get the arbitrary number he wanted, despite him actually making a profit of almost 100% on the original purchase price. gently caress that guy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad I didn't buy back when CI was insulting anyone who even thought about it. Would have been stuck with a hard to sell condo rather than a house.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah I'm glad I resisted buying a condo back when everyone in Calgary was saying it was a great idea. I know at least 4 couples stuck with a condo they can't sell without taking a 70k+ loss, and the fees keep going up.

But the house bubble refuses to die, no matter how bad the overall economic situation looks

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah, specially in BC with all the drama about stratas and insurance. Real nightmare,

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Things must not be going pretty well for Brad and his clients.

https://twitter.com/EmmaMayMMA/status/1329669464246214656

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

crispyseaweed posted:

Things must not be going pretty well for Brad and his clients.

https://twitter.com/EmmaMayMMA/status/1329669464246214656

World Doctor's Alliance...that sounds reliable.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Doesn't that go against Canadian Anti-Spam Laws as it's not really in line with the business reasons for contact?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I along with 36 other people lost out on their bids on a house in Hamilton.

THIRTY SEVEN OFFERS. Whaaaat the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Slotducks posted:

I along with 36 other people lost out on their bids on a house in Hamilton.

THIRTY SEVEN OFFERS. Whaaaat the gently caress

People are going nuts for houses and Hamilton is the one cheap place left in the GTHA so.... yeah.

I sold a house there in 2016, before all the madness really ramped up, and we got four offers the day we listed.

We missed out on a middlin' tier townhouse in Mississauga recently, were up against 7 offers iirc. It sold for 25k over ask, which came to 65k over a comparable that had sold five weeks prior. People losing their minds for a small yard.