Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At this point it's still possible to consider yourself a high-end gaming enthusiast and not give a poo poo about ray-tracing, as the real showcase examples have a very limited implementation, aren't mega-sellers, and/or are 20 year old games that any old system could run anyway. Maybe that will change with CP2077, but it's quite possible that ray-tracing could be subtle or just straight up suck in that game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Some Goon posted:

Ehh, if you're going to look at fortnites numbers you have to factor in how many fortniters are using DLSS capable hardware. I can't imagine "people with a $500+ gpu" (or even $300, really) comprise a significant portion of the playerbase.

I would be super interested in a Fortnite hardware survey and how it might differ from the Steam hardware survey.

But if the userbases are similar in terms of hardware, there are around 20% of systems that are running a mid-range (1070/2060) or higher card. That's a significant portion of the player base both AMD and Nvidia know will be interested in upgrading at some point, even if it is intermittent.

Assuming the implementation works well, I don't think most gamers actually care about pure raster vs DLSS-boosted performance (or even ray-tracing in general). They just want as many frames per second as possible. I look forward to AMD implementing something similar so we can all benefit from the competition.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

space marine todd posted:

I would be super interested in a Fortnite hardware survey and how it might differ from the Steam hardware survey.

But if the userbases are similar in terms of hardware, there are around 20% of systems that are running a mid-range (1070/2060) or higher card. That's a significant portion of the player base both AMD and Nvidia know will be interested in upgrading at some point, even if it is intermittent.

Assuming the implementation works well, I don't think most gamers actually care about pure raster vs DLSS-boosted performance (or even ray-tracing in general). They just want as many frames per second as possible. I look forward to AMD implementing something similar so we can all benefit from the competition.

Also nvidia has been pushing "reflex" for the new 3xxx cards to try and still get the 300fps on low types to upgrade to the latest and greatest cards.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Also nvidia has been pushing "reflex" for the new 3xxx cards to try and still get the 300fps on low types to upgrade to the latest and greatest cards.

reflex works all the way back to the gtx900 series, nobody is upgrading specifically for that

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I googled 'fortnite demographics' and the one result had 63% of the playerbase between 18 and 24, and everyone under 18 omitted. So it's most likely "whatever a college student can afford" or "their parents pc or whatever their parents are willing to spend on a computer for a kid" which, if the parts picking thread is anything to go off of, is somewhere around $600.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Holy poo poo 3080 tuf oc is loud. I tried some Cold War and in a few mins it maxed the fan speed to 99% (3000RPM) and temps were around 75C.

I have three 18cm case fans, the middle one is 1cm away from the gfx card.

How loving hot these cards run? Based on reviews I didn't realize they'd have to run at 100% fan speed when gaming, and despite the max speed, still so goddamn hot.

Edit: with this airflow the card is barely not burning to crisp:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 18, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Some Goon posted:

I googled 'fortnite demographics' and the one result had 63% of the playerbase between 18 and 24, and everyone under 18 omitted. So it's most likely "whatever a college student can afford" or "their parents pc or whatever their parents are willing to spend on a computer for a kid" which, if the parts picking thread is anything to go off of, is somewhere around $600.

Yep, or a console

which to my mind definitely lends some weight to the idea that a lot of games will be putting more emphasis on limited implementations that AMD cards should be just fine at (especially if they're able to leverage console-related optimizations)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Truga posted:

some years down the line, 100%

right now? extremely does not matter.

i'm on a 980Ti, and firefox performance goes to poo poo while i'm playing some games, just 720p youtube vids stuttering to gently caress with more than 2-3 tabs open, because 6gb is just not enough anymore. i either have to close the game or close a tab, and it's super annoying. if i had 8, that wouldn't be an issue

i imagine 10 vs 16 is gonna see similar poo poo ~5 years down the road :v:

Cygni posted:

You’ve got other issues tbh. That’s not vram, and certainly not 6gb vram problems.

It probably is VRAM, and it probably is Firefox. When I was trying to find out why my idle desktop VRAM usage was so high, Firefox was the main culprit, taking 250-350MB per process and spreading itself out across 3-5 processes.

Task Manager -> Details -> right click heading -> Select Columns -> 'Dedicated GPU Memory'

Disabling Hardware Acceleration in Firefox fixes it. I still have desktop VRAM usage in the 2GB range with NVIDIA Broadcast running. DWM takes a chunk too, so do Electron apps that run with HW acceleration. Modern desktop VRAM usage is creeping upwards. But Firefox's implementation is pretty bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fun how i quit reading this thread for two weeks bc i'm never getting a 3080 anyway and i poke in and it's literally the exact same DLSS will never take off/RT is pointless/how much VRAM do i need arguments as it's always been

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Holy poo poo 3080 tuf oc is loud. I tried some Cold War and in a few mins it maxed the fan speed to 99% (3000RPM) and temps were around 75C.

How loving hot these cards run? Based on reviews I didn't realize they'd have to run at 100% fan speed when gaming, and despite the max speed, still so goddamn hot.

I think something's up, those aren't normal temps or fan speeds for that card.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Im curious about your 180mm fans

How warm is your room?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The tuf has a switch on the board to toggle quiet mode vs max performance.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Im curious about your 180mm fans

They are cpu temp controlled Silverstone AP181 fans: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=258

Speed 600 ; 900 ; 1200 rpm
Airflow 52.4 / 78.68 / 100.27 CFM

I run them around 700rpm at desktop but the fans ramp up with CPU temperature. Maybe I could change the middle fan next to the gpu to adjust speed with GPU temp. But this doesn't feel very normal. What would the card do in warmer climates? Turn into a pile of slag on the bottom of the case?

quote:

How warm is your room?

22C ambient.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I mean the FE doesn't even ramp fans to 100% before hitting the 83C soft cap and reducing power. The only thing that makes it ramp fans to 100% is a power virus like FurMark, or GPU mining, both of which hit the memory controller with a nonstop 100% load, which brings the memory up to near its maximum temps which the fans panic to cool off. You can't see that sensor in software but it's the only way I can reliably make it ramp fans to 100%.

The TUF and TUF OC have much bigger heatsinks and in all the reviews I've seen, lower noise under full gaming load and lower temps than the FE. Assuming the VBIOS still has that same 'fans panic if memory overheats' behaviour as the FE, and the fans are ramping to 100%, I would *first* make sure that no software fan control is running like Afterburner, and then I'd try and figure out if the memory is overheating ... which won't be easy ... Perhaps the cooler didn't make it out of the factory with all the thermal pads.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i miss my ft02, the concept is so good but silverstone just stopped updating that line and it's behind the times now :(

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Ihmemies posted:

I recall reading somewhere on Reddit that having the card mounted vertically interferes with the heat pipes, not sure if it's BS or not. Can you try your case with the card horizontal?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

repiv posted:

i miss my ft02, the concept is so good but silverstone just stopped updating that line and it's behind the times now :(

Same, friend. Best case I ever owned. No stupid RGB, ports up top for easy access, plenty of room for everything. Had to settle on a Fractal Define 7, but to be fair, love this case too.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

exquisite tea posted:

At this point it's still possible to consider yourself a high-end gaming enthusiast and not give a poo poo about ray-tracing, as the real showcase examples have a very limited implementation, aren't mega-sellers, and/or are 20 year old games that any old system could run anyway. Maybe that will change with CP2077, but it's quite possible that ray-tracing could be subtle or just straight up suck in that game, too.

RT is definitely dead at the highest end, which is basically 4K/~120 gaming on large format HDMI 2.1 televisions. Just can't run it in that environment as you need every frame you can get.

No one doing HDMI 2.1 cares about RT and won't for 1-2 generations. Maybe that's different if you're on a 1440p monitor. Or even a 4K/60 one since you'll be capping anyways, may as well turn up RT (though I don't recommend 4K gaming on a monitor).

The whole thing just makes no sense to me honestly, imo frames will always be a superior gaming experience unless you're running low enough resolution that you can have both 100+ FPS and a substantive RT experience alongside each other. Is that even possible at 1440p? Maybe with a 3080/90?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

yeah the card's not really designed for sitting vertically and it looks like your intake is at the bottom with maybe an inch of clearance at best?

uh, what other monstrosities are people in this thread hiding

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My GPU’s water cooling system is a toilet

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mysteryberto posted:

I recall reading somewhere on Reddit that having the card mounted vertically interferes with the heat pipes, not sure if it's BS or not. Can you try your case with the card horizontal?

Like others here, I also have/had this case and, no, it's not possible to mount the card horizontal.

However, if the OP wants to upgrade their FT02/RV02 case...

- AP183 fans (pwm control!): https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=847&bno=55&tb=101&area=en
- new front/top panel /w USB-C: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=868&area=en

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah the card's not really designed for sitting vertically and it looks like your intake is at the bottom with maybe an inch of clearance at best?

It's very slightly more than an inch of clearance between the floor and the fan intake. That case is still among the best CPU air cooling cases ever but has fallen to mid-range or a little above mid-range for GPU air cooling. It still provides more than enough airflow for a 3080.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kibner posted:

Like others here, I also have/had this case and, no, it's not possible to mount the card horizontal.

However, if the OP wants to upgrade their FT02 case...

- AP183 fans (pwm control!): https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=847&bno=55&tb=101&area=en
- new front/top panel /w USB-C: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=868&area=en

they likely wouldn't need to actually *mount* the card horizontally to get it into a horizontal orientation to do a quick benchmark/temperature check

physically manipulating the case to do and see if the card is still running as hot as it has been would at least help narrow down the issue

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you also want to feed your 3080 via 2x pci-e cables rather than the split-cable configuration you have, it'll help performance a bit

Kibner posted:

It's very slightly more than an inch of clearance between the floor and the fan intake. That case is still among the best CPU air cooling cases ever but has fallen to mid-range or a little above mid-range for GPU air cooling. It still provides more than enough airflow for a 3080.
it looks like poo poo in all regards, but i guess you can bruteforce performance with 3x 180mm fans

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Strange how the new AMD cards use so much power to accelerate YouTube videos. I often have one running in the background so this matters to me. Otherwise they look great. Screw RT for now.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-test/4/#abschnitt_leistungsaufnahme_desktop_youtube_und_spiele

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:

Ihmemies posted:

I've got a 3080 FE in the same case, which may be even worse for being vertically rotated with the top/bottom fan setup. With stock settings I didn't have any temp issues idling, but I was hitting 83 degrees when playing HZD.

After undervolting and setting up a custom fan curve in Afterburner I haven't seen the card go go over 75 when gaming. The heat put off by the card is definitely noticeable though.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Taima posted:

The whole thing just makes no sense to me honestly, imo frames will always be a superior gaming experience unless you're running low enough resolution that you can have both 100+ FPS and a substantive RT experience alongside each other. Is that even possible at 1440p? Maybe with a 3080/90?

With DLSS :v: A 2080ti gets like 40 on High/RT on in Control.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it looks like poo poo in all regards, but i guess you can bruteforce performance with 3x 180mm fans

I mean, yeah, that was kinda the point. It still happens to do the brute forcing at lower volume levels than 90% of all other cases. It is also like a 10+ year old design. Once I can build a new system in an O11D-Mini, my FT02 will be turned into a media server to take advantage of all that drive bay space with direct cooling. Probably still the best non-rack case for that specific purpose.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The gpu has maybe 1cm clearance to the case fan. I can't put my finger in between.

I rotated the case (gently caress it's heavy with all the glued on bitumen carpet).

Temps in cod:bocw went from 75+ to around 60C? So around 15C less. Fans now run around 70% instead of 99%.

Power draw from wall socket is 470-480W while playing cod:bocw. I think my cpu has around 90% efficiency so actual power usage is around 430W. Still got some room to go until 500W :v:

I think I need a new case though. Or I need to swap the cooler. That case can't be left like that on my desk.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

mysteryberto posted:

This shouldn't matter; the internal structure of a heatpipe is basically a wick specifically so you can use them regardless of orientation; that's why they work on tower CPU coolers, they don't rely on gravity.

With those fanspeeds and temps, something has to be wrong; the tuf is supposed to be the best of the 3080s for cooling. I don't think most people are seeing anywhere close to 100% fanspeed.

Edit: welp, flipping the case helped. I guess it is me, I am the idiot.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

If I’m looking at this correctly you don’t have any exhaust fans.

I’m pretty sure the top of that case has room for an exhaust fan and if you put one up there you would notice tons of very hot air coming out of it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems the heatpipe orientation matters. I can't figure out any other reason for that poo poo. Now I'm wondering if there is some specific orientation where they work best. What I had originally must be the very worst.

Buying a new case sucks. I don't really want a new case, and I like these 18cm fans.

spunkshui posted:

If I’m looking at this correctly you don’t have any exhaust fans.

I’m pretty sure the top of that case has room for an exhaust fan and if you put one up there you would notice tons of very hot air coming out of it.

Only three intake fans. They push the air through the case, no need for exhaust fans. You can feel the airflow on top of the case with your hand. This way, with positive pressure, the fans force dust out.

Seems the problem is that heatpipe orientation matters. I don't think any more fans help in this situation, when temps get 15C lower by just rotating the case.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 18, 2020

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, there should be a spot in the top right of that picture for a 120mm fan.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kibner posted:

Yeah, there should be a spot in the top right of that picture for a 120mm fan.

I use the 120mm fan hole as an access hole to put my hand inside and feel how warm my PSU's heatsink is.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Hello 90° rotated case comrades!

I refreshed my Ft02 with the USB type c and was planning on using it for a 3080 as well.

The TUF card runs cooler than FE based off what you 2 said.
Silverstone recommends a blower model but I was fine with my 1080.

I'm curious about anything involving this.
I was gonna get FE because it's cool looking and may help with 90° rotated cases, but I'm not sure anymore.

evilfunkyogi posted:

I've got a 3080 FE in the same case,
I also wanted to ask if the FE blowing on your cpu raised it any noticeable amount.

The noctura that we have is fine being oriented differently, not so sure about the gpus.

Not using the 120mm fan up top and having 3 gpu fans blowing towards the dead zone of the case is probably your issue.

1/3 of the case is pretty much wasted because I have a 4tb hotswapable drive there and took all my cd-rom stuff out. I have that area cordoned off with cardboard to hopefully let the air go towards the top hole better.

Move your hard drive to the left too and see if that helps a fuzz?

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 18, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

This shouldn't matter; the internal structure of a heatpipe is basically a wick specifically so you can use them regardless of orientation; that's why they work on tower CPU coolers, they don't rely on gravity.

With those fanspeeds and temps, something has to be wrong; the tuf is supposed to be the best of the 3080s for cooling. I don't think most people are seeing anywhere close to 100% fanspeed.

Edit: welp, flipping the case helped. I guess it is me, I am the idiot.

No, you're right, multiple people (including Steve the venerated tech jesus) have tested the 'cooler orientation' theory w.r.t heatpipes and found no difference for precisely that reason, it's capillary action that moves the fluid and not gravity. They are used in space for that reason!

Certainly if flipping the case helped there is a reason we haven't identified, but it's not heatpipes.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
extremely dumb check but try having the case vertical but with loads of clearance underneath for fans to get air. you might be getting better results just through sheer airflow

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Voxx posted:

extremely dumb check but try having the case vertical but with loads of clearance underneath for fans to get air. you might be getting better results just through sheer airflow

Not dumb. Or the case being sideways means the fans don't have to fight gravity to blow the hot air out of the top of the case. There are lots of variables here besides orientation of the heatpipes.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

...I'm going to attempt to use a 3070 with an eGPU enclosure until such time as I can build a proper desktop machine. Will report back on how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
once I have a 3080 it will not be in any case, simply placed in a shrine dedicated to silicon

including silicon spatulas