Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the Sumerians spent a good 2000+ years figuring out their numbering system. They definitely got a few things right.

I still have nightmares about a math final I had which involved a word problem about a time-travelling fruit stand serving Sumerian, Mayan (vigesimal), Roman, and android (binary) customers. Every customer used their own numerals as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Cojawfee posted:

Those two numbers have the same significant figures and are equally precise. If you have a digit in front of the decimal, then every digit after the decimal adds to the precision. That's the entire point of scientific notation. If I have the number 2350, how many sigfigs does it have? It could be 3 or 4, there's no way to tell for sure. But 2.350e3 has 4 sigfigs no doubt about it.

Per ASME Y14.5M-2009, all dimensions on drawings are treated as having infinite implied precision

bitch

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I still have nightmares about a math final I had which involved a word problem about a time-travelling fruit stand serving Sumerian, Mayan (vigesimal), Roman, and android (binary) customers. Every customer used their own numerals as well.

When I was in tech school there was a guy who would hang around my little group that got really into octal, for some reason. He seemed to think I didn't understand the concept of a base 8 number system, and thought it was hillarious.

I don't think any of us knew his name, but after I declared him Hans Moleman for obvious reasons, it stuck.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

stratdax posted:

How on earth are fractions easier to work with. Ask nearly anybody add convert and add fractions together and you'll get blank looks. See: burger king 1/3 pounder failed because people thought it was smaller than McDonald's 1/4 pounder. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pikrntjcbyw

As I stated in the post you quoted, I was referring to a world without widespread literacy not one where the vast majority of the population not only can read numbers but also works with decimal cash math on a daily basis.

When you're literally uneducated and thus unable to write a number down much less do long division to get exact decimal measures, you can still do a lot with fractions. Or, probably stated more accurately, the concept of fractions, since the hypothetical ancient people we're referring to here couldn't read a fraction any more than they could read a decimal.

As someone pointed out on the last page, if you have a single reference piece of material, you can literally just use a string to get what a half, quarter, third, or really any fractional measurement of that is, take it over and cut a piece of wood close enough to build an ancient house with.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stratdax posted:

See: burger king 1/3 pounder failed because people thought it was smaller than McDonald's 1/4 pounder.

It basically being called the one turd-pounder didn't help I bet.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjze8wyhJd1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjzd16iOuT1r0uzl6.mp4

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Azathoth posted:

As I stated in the post you quoted, I was referring to a world without widespread literacy not one where the vast majority of the population not only can read numbers but also works with decimal cash math on a daily basis.

When you're literally uneducated and thus unable to write a number down much less do long division to get exact decimal measures, you can still do a lot with fractions. Or, probably stated more accurately, the concept of fractions, since the hypothetical ancient people we're referring to here couldn't read a fraction any more than they could read a decimal.

As someone pointed out on the last page, if you have a single reference piece of material, you can literally just use a string to get what a half, quarter, third, or really any fractional measurement of that is, take it over and cut a piece of wood close enough to build an ancient house with.

Is the house ancient when freshly built too, or do you have to wait for it to settle?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I do a history of math as the first week of all my classes and I had them come up with ways of counting without numbers and a kid figured this out on their own it was cool as poo poo. When I related it back to base 60 ie 60 seconds in a minute etc it really blew the classes mind.

In case you haven't seen it yet, Universal History of Numbers is an amazing book

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

stratdax posted:

How on earth are fractions easier to work with. Ask nearly anybody add convert and add fractions together and you'll get blank looks. See: burger king 1/3 pounder failed because people thought it was smaller than McDonald's 1/4 pounder. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pikrntjcbyw

I really have to wonder about this, all the evidence is anecdotal and its based on one persons word. Its entirely possible this is just a made up excuse for the failure of the product in focus groups. It was A&W also.
https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/28745/did-aw-customers-think-1-3-pound-burger-patties-weigh-less-than-1-4-pound-ones

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That’s what the machinist says when he looks at the drawing and doesn’t see a tolerance called out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I really have to wonder about this, all the evidence is anecdotal and its based on one persons word. Its entirely possible this is just a made up excuse for the failure of the product in focus groups. It was A&W also.
https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/28745/did-aw-customers-think-1-3-pound-burger-patties-weigh-less-than-1-4-pound-ones

A&W canada has a useful family based system for determining burger sizes/types and it rules.

I think the ~1/3lb is the “uncle burger”

Best large burger chain in canada :colbert: love the root beer

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

priznat posted:

A&W canada has a useful family based system for determining burger sizes/types and it rules.

:cheers:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fried apple pies too not like the baked mcdonalds nonsense!!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So this is from a ways back, but can someone who is a woodworking type give me a clue about tip number 5 at 1:05?

Approaching cutting from my kitchen experience: a sharp knife is a safe knife. Does that not hold for sawblades? Or is it more a joke about how there's sawdust all over his saw table and poo poo?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nth Doctor posted:

So this is from a ways back, but can someone who is a woodworking type give me a clue about tip number 5 at 1:05?

Approaching cutting from my kitchen experience: a sharp knife is a safe knife. Does that not hold for sawblades? Or is it more a joke about how there's sawdust all over his saw table and poo poo?

I didn't get that. I think it was just a real tip thrown in amongst all the goofing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nth Doctor posted:

It's the one good tip thrown in with all the joke tips, and he points that out in the episode description.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Elviscat posted:

It's the one good tip thrown in with all the joke tips, and he points that out in the episode description.

You expect me to read on a youtube page?

Thanks!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

let the bears pay the bear tax

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

That’s what the machinist says when he looks at the drawing and doesn’t see a tolerance called out.

Tolerance is not the same as significant digits

owned

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

zedprime posted:

1/4 is one significant digit and 0.25 is two so I'd call them different precision.

You're doing a terrible job of explaining this (and I have no idea where the hell you were going with the base-4 bit), but I think I get what you're going for. In a pure-math sense, no, fractions don't have significant figures. In a measuring-things sense, they definitely do. 1/4 = 1000/4000, nobody's going to argue with that, but if you measure something to one part in four, it's going to be read as less precise than if you measure it to 1000 parts in 4000. This is actually more obvious if the numbers aren't quite equal; a quantity that measures, say, 998/4000 on the second instrument will still measure 1/4 on the first.

With that said, no, 1/4 is not less precise than 0.25, because you can't write 1/4 in decimal with fewer than two significant digits.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

You're doing a terrible job of explaining this (and I have no idea where the hell you were going with the base-4 bit), but I think I get what you're going for. In a pure-math sense, no, fractions don't have significant figures. In a measuring-things sense, they definitely do. 1/4 = 1000/4000, nobody's going to argue with that, but if you measure something to one part in four, it's going to be read as less precise than if you measure it to 1000 parts in 4000. This is actually more obvious if the numbers aren't quite equal; a quantity that measures, say, 998/4000 on the second instrument will still measure 1/4 on the first.

With that said, no, 1/4 is not less precise than 0.25, because you can't write 1/4 in decimal with fewer than two significant digits.

this is psychotic, there are no instruments that work like that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is what you get for doing sig figs instead of actual error propagation calculations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Luneshot posted:

This is from a few pages back and nothing new, but there's a special level of :stonk: to the 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate being stored in the same warehouse as 23 tons of fireworks and five rolls of detcord.

Yeah, it's like those restaurants that do a "deconstructed" dish. Like a cheesecake, that's just all the constituent parts on a plate separate from each other.

But a bomb

(with a side of old tyres)

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

This is what you get for doing sig figs instead of actual error propagation calculations.

One time a customer bitched at us because our paint thickness didn't have enough significant digits

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

ultrafilter posted:

I had horrible calculus teachers in college, but for some reason I was really loving good at calculating error propagation in my physics classes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sagebrush posted:

this isn't perfectly cut at all!! the perfect cut would be 1 frame after it explodes, or perhaps the instant it hits him in the chest

It was cut with fractions not decimals

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BMan posted:

this is psychotic, there are no instruments that work like that

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse or just regular obtuse, but okay, you tell that to the 7/16" measurement that you cut at 1/2". :tipshat:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse or just regular obtuse, but okay, you tell that to the 7/16" measurement that you cut at 1/2". :tipshat:

oh word, your ruler measures in 4000ths?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

priznat posted:

Does A&W Canada refer to their long hotdogs as a "footlong" or are they in metric? Is this a part of the height-of-a-person imperial exception?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They call them Royale with cheese

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yes, I would a like a meterdog please.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, I would a like a meterdog please.

*pushes up glasses* actually, I think you mean a 3 decimeter dog.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Hi honey, yeah I might not come home tonight see I have to deliver a truck full or worthless crap through a road that just might kill me. Here's hoping!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Does A&W Canada refer to their long hotdogs as a "footlong" or are they in metric? Is this a part of the height-of-a-person imperial exception?

I believe they were called “whistle dogs” but they were regular size and not footlongs, and they haven’t been on the menu in a long time.

Man I remember when A&Ws were drive in where you could get a carton (yes, carton, like milk) of root beer to take home. And the trays would attach to your window.

:corsair:

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 19, 2020

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors remake looking tedious

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

From my experience, 99% of the time it's because they don't want to have to go around the blocked area, so mainly laziness. Probably not helped by the fact that our brains unconsciously go "well I don't SEE any danger, should be fine"

My favorite time I observed this was at a waterpark, when the kids wading pool was closed because the employees were walking through with rubber boots fishing a turd out, and then using a chemical shock.

Several people ignored the CLOSED signs and ropes and waded through it, rather than walk the extra 50 feet to go around.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/huIqo80.gifv

Supposedly it’s a die used to trace leakages.

evil_bunnY posted:

Fluorescein. It's hilariously potent.

Dude that stuff rules it looks dark red in the vial and then the second you inject it in the IV and it dilutes and turns neon green. Then I swear within like 30 drat seconds you can see neon green jets shooting out of the ureters into the bladder.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

Dude that stuff rules it looks dark red in the vial and then the second you inject it in the IV and it dilutes and turns neon green. Then I swear within like 30 drat seconds you can see neon green jets shooting out of the ureters into the bladder.

Ah the wonders of 80's mad science horror movies mystery medical goo.
Is there anything it can't do
:allears:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/sport/jetman-dubai-death-scli-intl-spt/index.html

Jetman died today doing what he loved.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rip that dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/fcr9UcY.mp4

"man, I don't want to drive off all the other RVs on the back of this thing, let's just take it off with the forklift"