Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Yes but if you measure things in 12s, it's much easier to say "you three of you get 4 things each" than it is if you measure by 10s and having to say "you three get three things and a tiny bit more, each" is my point.

This is also the reason behind the sumerian calendar being based heavily in 6, 12 and 60, because it has many factors which make it easier to fractionally divide.

you can also count to 12 on one hand using your thumb on the phalanges of your fingers.

Assuming, of course, you still have all your fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

emf posted:

Counterpoint: 1/2 is exactly as precise as 0.5, 1/4 is exactly as precise as 0.25, 1/3 is infinitely more precise than 0.33333333333

The instrument is the limit, not the numbering system, and precision was not the point Azathoth was making, but rather that different parts of your brain are used when thinking and referring to fractional quantities and math operations than with decimal.
1/4 is one significant digit and 0.25 is two so I'd call them different precision. This loops back into your main point about it coming from how you measure because they are mathematically the same number but if you're going to mention precision in a technical matter I think it's worth quibbling. Besides the point being if you have a basket of flour that you want to split between four people it's going to be more accurate to assemble with precision of 1/4 than 0.25 because you can just divide it equally twice compared to divide it 100 times and put 25 back together.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Very few Americans are truly illiterate, in the sense of being unable to read a sentence and understand its meaning. Less than 4% of the adult population reads at that level, not including people with cognitive disabilities that would prevent them from doing a literacy test in the first place.

A more disturbing fact is just how low the level of literacy is among people who are able to read. More than half the country reads at PIAAC level 2 or below, which roughly corresponds to what used to be called a sixth-grade level. At that stage you can read a paragraph pretty well, but you may not be able to e.g. pick multiple pieces of information from different parts of a text and synthesize them to understand the theme. You can read the instructions on a pill bottle, but you might not be able to get through the full list of side effects. You definitely can't understand all of the content in a voter information guide.

Half the country. Where have we seen that number before

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 18, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

1/4 is one significant digit and 0.25 is two so I'd call them different precision.
This is some smoke and mirrors poo poo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Bloop posted:

This is some smoke and mirrors poo poo
Would you also argue 0.2 and 0.20000 are the same precision because they are mathematically the same number?

Precision is what your result looks like and how many characters are needed to describe it. That's it, don't ascribe more to it, I'm begging all of you
Accuracy is how often you get the same result doing the same thing.
Both these terms are useless mathematically and only mean something in context of doing something to a physical thing compared to alternative methods of doing it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I use a ruler that is divided into sevenths so all my measurements have like ten sig figs once I convert them to decimal. It's one trick for insane precision that engineers don't want you to know.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjp2kdIMBo1w5pr9j.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Well, gently caress that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I use an IEEE 754 ruler, sometimes my pencil skips around a bit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Would you also argue 0.2 and 0.20000 are the same precision because they are mathematically the same number?

Precision is what your result looks like and how many characters are needed to describe it. That's it, don't ascribe more to it, I'm begging all of you
Both these terms are useless mathematically and only mean something in context of doing something to a physical thing compared to alternative methods of doing it.

I am pretty sure that fractions do not have sig figs, like the concept does not apply to them

The concept has always been a bit strange to me anyway, like the official Kg was 1.0000000000 Kg but the measurement would be "more precise" if it was 1.0000000001 Kg - Sig Figs are only really meaningful when you don't know the accuracy of your measurement instruments or who measured them, they aren't magic, it's just a useful rule

Plus, I don't think many chemists are using inches in their calculations so it's probably not super relevant anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it works don't it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This thread has taught me that the film Sorcerer is terribly unrealistic, real truck drivers would just floor it over that bridge.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Someone once told me that the reason that Imperial measurements are fractional instead of decimal is that it's much easier for illiterate people to work with fractions, even if decimals are more precise. Not sure if it's true, but it sure makes a lot of sense.

Also an interesting reminder regardless, that for nearly all of human history, most everything was built by people who couldn't read or likely even do anything but the most basic of math.

How on earth are fractions easier to work with. Ask nearly anybody add convert and add fractions together and you'll get blank looks. See: burger king 1/3 pounder failed because people thought it was smaller than McDonald's 1/4 pounder. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pikrntjcbyw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/PerfectlyShots/status/1328791535022989318?s=20

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

zedprime posted:

fractions don't have significant digits, hth

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

stratdax posted:

How on earth are fractions easier to work with. Ask nearly anybody add convert and add fractions together and you'll get blank looks. See: burger king 1/3 pounder failed because people thought it was smaller than McDonald's 1/4 pounder. Also:

https://youtu.be/pikrntjcbyw

If you're dealing with weights and lengths to measure out grain or metals for barter or for cutting stone or wood for construction, fractions are far easier. Finding the midpoint to cut something in half is simple.

It's only when you're doing something like machining metal to the tolerances to build a steam engine that decimal units get better.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

BMan posted:

fractions don't have significant digits, hth

lol thank you im a math teacher that guy doesnt know what the hell hes talking about

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 18, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stratdax posted:

How on earth are fractions easier to work with. Ask nearly anybody add convert and add fractions together and you'll get blank looks. See: burger king 1/3 pounder failed because people thought it was smaller than McDonald's 1/4 pounder. Also:`

people who have to do approximate math in their head regularly: fractions are better

people who have to do precision math with tools regularly: decimals are better

the vast majority of americans, who are barely numerate and can't figure out a 20% tip without a calculator: blank stare

this isn't perfectly cut at all!! the perfect cut would be 1 frame after it explodes, or perhaps the instant it hits him in the chest

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ok let me use the good math words because I don't know how to make a story clearer than the basket of flour.

I am a merry miller and I loving love base 4. I have a basket of 10 flour. I want to give my 10 friends their flour. So I split it up in all four parts. Part 1 for my first friend, part 2 for my second friend, part 3 for my 3rd friend, and part 10 for my 10th friend. I measure out 1 base 4 each time. 1 is the extent of my precision at this point.

1/4 is homologous to 1 part out of 10 base 4.

Ps.

Ror posted:

I use a ruler that is divided into sevenths so all my measurements have like ten sig figs once I convert them to decimal. It's one trick for insane precision that engineers don't want you to know.
I appreciate you

E.e. final word: I regret using the term significant digits but everything I have said about precision is bullet proof. Measuring flour by hand for four people, 1/4 is low precision high accuracy and measuring by 0.25 is high precision low accuracy. Thank you God bless

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 18, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Ok let me use the good math words because I don't know how to make a story clearer than the basket of flour.

I am a merry miller and I loving love base 4. I have a basket of 10 flour. I want to give my 10 friends their flour. So I split it up in all four parts. Part 1 for my first friend, part 2 for my second friend, part 3 for my 3rd friend, and part 10 for my 10th friend. I measure out 1 base 4 each time. 1 is the extent of my precision at this point.

1/4 is homologous to 1 part out of 10 base 4.

I took 10d4 psychic damage from this post

emf
Aug 1, 2002

zedprime posted:

1/4 is one significant digit and 0.25 is two so I'd call them different precision.
Significant digits are not meaningful for exact or defined quantities like the speed of light (299792458 m/s), the definition of the inch (25.4 mm), the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter in Euclidean space, or the elements of the set of fractional numbers.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/wUTbjeB.mp4

emf
Aug 1, 2002

They ... almost made it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

you can also count to 12 on one hand using your thumb on the phalanges of your fingers.

Assuming, of course, you still have all your fingers.

Whoa.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I thought this would end in power lines. Probably best he never made it airborne.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It even has a cool name, dozenic finger counting.

And who said you never see em fing

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Wow, I didn’t know they made another season of Good Omens.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Powershift posted:

finger binary is where it's at

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

I am pretty sure that fractions do not have sig figs, like the concept does not apply to them

The concept has always been a bit strange to me anyway, like the official Kg was 1.0000000000 Kg but the measurement would be "more precise" if it was 1.0000000001 Kg - Sig Figs are only really meaningful when you don't know the accuracy of your measurement instruments or who measured them, they aren't magic, it's just a useful rule

Plus, I don't think many chemists are using inches in their calculations so it's probably not super relevant anyway

Those two numbers have the same significant figures and are equally precise. If you have a digit in front of the decimal, then every digit after the decimal adds to the precision. That's the entire point of scientific notation. If I have the number 2350, how many sigfigs does it have? It could be 3 or 4, there's no way to tell for sure. But 2.350e3 has 4 sigfigs no doubt about it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Powershift posted:

I do a history of math as the first week of all my classes and I had them come up with ways of counting without numbers and a kid figured this out on their own it was cool as poo poo. When I related it back to base 60 ie 60 seconds in a minute etc it really blew the classes mind.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Powershift posted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Those two numbers have the same significant figures and are equally precise. If you have a digit in front of the decimal, then every digit after the decimal adds to the precision. That's the entire point of scientific notation. If I have the number 2350, how many sigfigs does it have? It could be 3 or 4, there's no way to tell for sure. But 2.350e3 has 4 sigfigs no doubt about it.

You're right of course I got a detail wrong, it's been ages since I've used sig figs for anything

point still stands that a measurement of 0.1000 and 0.1001 can be just as accurate and come from the same device, but the solution is basically to fudge it in the first case to note it the second way

The system has important uses but also significant drawbacks

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I do a history of math as the first week of all my classes and I had them come up with ways of counting without numbers and a kid figured this out on their own it was cool as poo poo. When I related it back to base 60 ie 60 seconds in a minute etc it really blew the classes mind.

I wish you were my math teacher because I just figured that poo poo out with the help of the internet a few months ago.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I mean, the Sumerians spent a good 2000+ years figuring out their numbering system. They definitely got a few things right.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stingwing posted:

This guy got a degree and became a teacher even though he was illiterate.

Wait till you see who's the president!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the Sumerians spent a good 2000+ years figuring out their numbering system. They definitely got a few things right.

makes sense, nobody could call themselves a sumerian and not be able to figure a few sums

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The Bloop posted:

You're right of course I got a detail wrong, it's been ages since I've used sig figs for anything

point still stands that a measurement of 0.1000 and 0.1001 can be just as accurate and come from the same device, but the solution is basically to fudge it in the first case to note it the second way

The system has important uses but also significant drawbacks

I feel like what you're getting at is that properly reporting the uncertainty of a measurement is more useful than simply reporting the resolution that measurement was taken from? For example, it's better to state that a dimension was measured as 0.1 inches with an uncertainty of 0.0001 inches, and to properly report the origin of that uncertainty (i.e., trace the calibration of that measurement back to the definition of the meter.)

Technically, I agree with you! But if you expect everyone to follow the Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement for literally everything, that seems... unlikely.
https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_100_2008_E.pdf

"How thick would you like your cheddar cut? Our deli slicer had been calibrated traceable to NIST with an uncertainty of 0.25mm over its entire settings. Here's the calibration certificate."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zedprime posted:

1/4 is one significant digit and 0.25 is two so I'd call them different precision. This loops back into your main point about it coming from how you measure because they are mathematically the same number but if you're going to mention precision in a technical matter I think it's worth quibbling. Besides the point being if you have a basket of flour that you want to split between four people it's going to be more accurate to assemble with precision of 1/4 than 0.25 because you can just divide it equally twice compared to divide it 100 times and put 25 back together.

Working in engineering with fractions was always kinda hosed because the tolerances end up being based on the size of the measurement, not the values of the fractions (ie, 0-12" it's +/- 1/64, 12-36" it's +/- 1/32, and anything over 3 ft is +/- 1/16). We did everything in SAE at my last job, but used decimals on our prints. but that gets funny if you have a, say, a hole pattern with 1/4" spacing, but only need the precision of one decimal point, so you get a bunch of holes 0.3" apart and you're out 1/2" on the tenth hole (which is why you dimension everything to the same reference instead of relative to each other, but that's another matter), so you dimension it to two decimal places and create a custom tolerance of one decimal place.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Uthor posted:

Working in engineering with fractions was always kinda hosed because the tolerances end up being based on the size of the measurement, not the values of the fractions (ie, 0-12" it's +/- 1/64, 12-36" it's +/- 1/32, and anything over 3 ft is +/- 1/16). We did everything in SAE at my last job, but used decimals on our prints. but that gets funny if you have a, say, a hole pattern with 1/4" spacing, but only need the precision of one decimal point, so you get a bunch of holes 0.3" apart and you're out 1/2" on the tenth hole (which is why you dimension everything to the same reference instead of relative to each other, but that's another matter), so you dimension it to two decimal places and create a custom tolerance of one decimal place.

This poo poo is why GD&T exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
One of my go-to pointless rants is that we should convert the world to a base 12 number system.

Just think, it's all the advantages of the SI system and metric units, except you also get all the sweet division options from base 12, you can count on one hand, and you get to keep time units in their current form without their maths being so awful