Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

Its been amazingly mismanaged, and the guy in charge of it having meltdowns on Twitter anytime anyone questions what is going on is the only thing I've enjoyed so far.

Like actual meltdowns or just "calm down nerds" annoyance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Its been amazingly mismanaged, and the guy in charge of it having meltdowns on Twitter anytime anyone questions what is going on is the only thing I've enjoyed so far.

I thought James Goss was in charge of it, and he mostly just posts chill pictures of cats?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought James Goss was in charge of it, and he mostly just posts chill pictures of cats?

Yeah, I’ve looked through his Twitter feed including replies and it’s a lot of this.

https://twitter.com/gossjam/status/1326076582755229698

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
On a personal note, I’d like to thank the network currently known as Syfy for showing Rose and the End of the World back to back for the US debut, because if I had seen Rose only on the first week I wouldn’t be posting new Doctor Who threads, because that episode is pretty stupid when you think about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

On a personal note, I’d like to thank the network currently known as Syfy for showing Rose and the End of the World back to back for the US debut, because if I had seen Rose only on the first week I wouldn’t be posting new Doctor Who threads, because that episode is pretty stupid when you think about it.

On a similar note I would like to thank season 1 for having Dalek be the sixth episode, and the fifth that aired on Syfy. I was already along for the ride at that point, but that was the episode that made it clear I needed to know more about the history of the show too

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rose is not good, it definitely needs the second half of the 1-2 punch which End of the World provides. EotW says to the viewer ‘this is what you’re in for!’

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Rose :(

It's fun and has a plastic man smash a table.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I consider myself extremely lucky for my introduction to New Who being my dad tuning into what turned out to be The Parting Of The Ways on the ABC partway through, with neither of us even remembering New Who was a thing at the time. We just saw a space battle on Australia's public broadcaster, and kept watching just to see why the hell that was happening. We only understood once a Dalek turned up.

Even then, we didn't really understand the rest until we hit the regeneration. We decided to watch it from the next season on because of David Tennant. ...or rather because we mistook him for Callum Blue, who we knew from Dead Like Me.

Frankly, it's an absurd streak of luck that I got into Doctor Who at all.

Fun fact: I to this day haven't seen Rose in full, because every time a network here started showing New Who from the beginning we'd only find out partway through the first season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rose leaked pretty early and I was so hype for new Who that I had zero criticisms until like 3 years later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I never saw the leak but if I remember right it was missing a bunch of special effects and people flew into a panic that the show had somehow maintained the exact 1987 budget with no adjustment for inflation?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

I never saw the leak but if I remember right it was missing a bunch of special effects and people flew into a panic that the show had somehow maintained the exact 1987 budget with no adjustment for inflation?

Not to mention Graham Norton's audience showing up for no reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Effects were all in place, the opening theme was from Four. I still have it on a drive somewhere.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I like Rose :(

It's fun and has a plastic man smash a table.

It's got some truly iconic moments and Eccleston smashes it as always but the direction really hurts it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Not to mention Graham Norton's audience showing up for no reason.

That was the night of broadcast, the leak didn’t have them. The leak also didn’t have the new theme, just the original Hartnell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rose is good once you've seen Nine's whole run, because Nine's character shines through, but, and don't kill me, End of the World doesn't help. Nine's entire run has the same problem: the direction wants the show to be a kids' show and Eccleston manages to fight it. It makes Nine seem mean, because he sounds like a serious, angry adult who's screaming at a bunch of kids who don't know any better. Once you know what the show is supposed to be, it works, because the character has just gone through a lot of trauma and needs to learn to enjoy life again, but that's a tough sell if you know nothing about Doctor Who. I didn't like the show much the first time I watched it until I got to Ten.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, Dalek is probably well-written, but the only people acting in it are Christopher Eccleston and Nick Briggs's voice thing. Van Staten is terrible, the camera looks like they smeared vaseline on it, the military gang are like extras from a video game, and much though I like Murray Gold, his soundtrack is too much for what they're going for. It is not a good introduction to the Daleks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I will never forget first watching the 50th Anniversary Special, being unable to tell Ten and Eleven apart, then went back to the first episode of the new series and then a completely different guy opens a door and introduces himself as the Doctor

I was so lost and got hooked trying to figure out what the flip was going on

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Bicyclops posted:

Like, Dalek is probably well-written, but the only people acting in it are Christopher Eccleston and Nick Briggs's voice thing. Van Staten is terrible, the camera looks like they smeared vaseline on it, the military gang are like extras from a video game, and much though I like Murray Gold, his soundtrack is too much for what they're going for. It is not a good introduction to the Daleks.

Rewatching it, it's really obvious how hard the episode was trying to counter every single dig that's ever been made about the Daleks being poo poo. It feels so excessive now. It's to RTD's credit though that he finally managed to completely kill the old "Daleks can't climb stairs" joke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Out of the darkness of 2020, let's bring some light. It's been a couple of years since the last one now, but I feel like everyone could use some holiday happiness!

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2020 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into a hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: https://forms.gle/QWt7rBsQBmroYNv18

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject line, please include the tag [DWSS].

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 25TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£20-25) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you can agree to the possibility of getting an international address.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: https://www.royalmail.com/christmas/last-posting-dates

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/holiday-shipping-dates.htm/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 15th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat Santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hell yeah, it’s finally DWSS season :neckbeard:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks for all the effort you put into this, The Doctor. It's a nice little bit of cheer every year. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

God, Last Christmas was such a good loving episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know some of you are gonna think I've not taste, but Big Finish's Torchwood range is really, really good, and very much worth your time.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I know some of you are gonna think I've not taste, but Big Finish's Torchwood range is really, really good, and very much worth your time.

If they say that, they have to say it about mine too because I agree. I look forward to new Torchwood releases now more than anything else (Especially give me more Norton please and thank you. Bonus if he's paired with Andy).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

If they say that, they have to say it about mine too because I agree. I look forward to new Torchwood releases now more than anything else (Especially give me more Norton please and thank you. Bonus if he's paired with Andy).

Oh sweet! Do you subscribe to the monthly releases? I'd just finished listening to the Into/Rhys one that came out last night when I posted that, it's really really good.

And Norton is fantastic. Parasite was such a good story too. I really wanted to hear more of his coworker, Lisbeth, after that one, but I figure we're probably not going too, for obvious reasons...

McGann
May 19, 2003

Oh sweet! Do you subscribe to the monthly releases? I'd just finished listening to the Into/Rhys one that came out last night when I posted that, it's really really good.

And Norton is fantastic. Parasite was such a good story too. I really wanted to hear more of his coworker, Lisbeth, after that one, but I figure we're probably not going too, for obvious reasons...

Hah yeah, I liked her character but I think you're probably right about that. Unless we get more 50s Torchwood stuff, I'd like some more stuff around the time the "Vicar" was in charge.

I am currently on a break from picking up new releases (except some of the specials coming out) as I catch up on Torchwood's range. I jumped in after they reformed the team, right around when parallel Yvonne showed up . But I'm still staying current with the new Torchwood stuff too, so I'll have to make that my next listen. The cover alone makes it look like a blast, I love when Torchwood does 'weird' concept stuff - like I loved Tropical Beach Sounds and Dead Man's Switch. The last one I listened to was Ex Machina, so I have the Three Monkeys to get through next before this most excellent BBQ.

Anyway long story short, yes I am a big Torchwood range fan, though I may have to take a break for the Abby/Zara 5th doctor as I enjoyed that original trilogy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsS2jMaAYbI

McGann
May 19, 2003

The animation on these is weird and as is the story so far, but I find them strangely compelling (and am also at work so that helps)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

McGann posted:

The animation on these is weird and as is the story so far, but I find them strangely compelling (and am also at work so that helps)

"Weird yet compelling" sums up the Daleks rather well, doesn't it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

"Weird yet compelling" sums up the Daleks rather well, doesn't it?

I mean... really, all of Doctor Who!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The restoriation empire will probably be erased from history by the end ofTime Lord Victorious, since otherwise that's a massive change to the brand, but hopefully the Dalek Prime Strategist sticks around in some form. He's so wonderfully slimy and smug, and you can tell Nicholas Briggs is having fun with it.

Dalek Time Squad is both the silliest and best name for the TLV Daleks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Sontaran Experiment is a weird story in a lot of ways, but it's actually pretty good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Also the robot has wiggly nose hair

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's the best Sontaran story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

57th anniversary! :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

57th anniversary! :toot:

Goddamn, has it really been almost a decade since the 50th? That still feels like only yesterday.

Anyway nevermind that bullshit, time to rewatch Day of the Doctor :hellyeah:

Also The Fiveish Doctors :hfive:

Also Night of the Doctor :woop:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Animated Web of Fear incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsG6QRSpS40

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm so happy!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Web of Fear Effect, now on PlayStation.

(I'd wondered if they would ever go full 3D Fear Effect-style models rather than the 2D Archer-style. Question answered!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well now I wanna see Studio Orange (Beastars, Godzilla: Singular Point) to animate a Doctor Who serial

Or the LucasFilm animators, since that style is very similar to Star Wars: Resistance and Tron: Uprising