Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
im sure you're doing this already but you should def be putting the cv out there with the stuff on it about being able to hit aggressive ops targets, manage the team, turn around one of our local problem employees and build a good working relationship with the local team. the civil service will be more than happy to employ you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Breath Ray posted:

im sure you're doing this already but you should def be putting the cv out there with the stuff on it about being able to hit aggressive ops targets, manage the team, turn around one of our local problem employees and build a good working relationship with the local team. the civil service will be more than happy to employ you

I mean I always thought there ought to be a box to tick for being a mediocre but safe employee for your own level, whatever that might be, because there’s a lot of actual disasters out there.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
i already mentioned the civil service!

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I've been offered a software dev position that I think I'd be pretty happy with in terms of the type of work, pay, benefits, etc. The only thing I'm a little wary of is that it's a contract-to-hire position, which I've never dealt with before. The downsides are obvious, but I haven't worked in almost a year, and I'm getting a bit desperate :(. Anything I need to watch out for as I navigate this minefield?

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

mekyabetsu posted:

I've been offered a software dev position that I think I'd be pretty happy with in terms of the type of work, pay, benefits, etc. The only thing I'm a little wary of is that it's a contract-to-hire position, which I've never dealt with before. The downsides are obvious, but I haven't worked in almost a year, and I'm getting a bit desperate :(. Anything I need to watch out for as I navigate this minefield?

It sounds like its better than not working for a while. Even if it does not translate to a real position you still made money. You can also always leave.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If your alternative is nothing then go for it.

You'll probably get a feel for how often they convert people and the culture pretty quickly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Xguard86 posted:

This. Don't worry about the downsides compared to some hypothetical alternative. Instead, compare your options against the other options that you actually have.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Xguard86 posted:

I hear ya, and that’s almost certainly what I’ll be doing. I guess I’m just so used to getting screwed this year that I assume it’ll happen to me with this, too. I’m trying to figure out what the pitfalls are with this kind of employment arrangement so I can try to avoid them if possible.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well:

some places dangle the conversion carrot in front of contractor's faces but never really do it. Same with threatening to fire them.

You won't get fte benefits including petty stuff like happy hours. There was a lawsuit* with MS that cost them a ton of $. So companies are very careful not to blur those lines.

A really great place to work will find ways to avoid legal trouble and still include contractors in social stuff or swag but it's not the norm. TBH many businesses don't know the risks and so don't make distinctions too.

You'd be contract to hire so less of a concern but; also due to labor law, usually contractors have a mandatory end date. If they extend too long it risks lawsuit. I've seen this get people who are really good but due to the vagueries of corp life they cannot secure an FTE spot.

A good contract to hire is an extended interview and a bad one is stringing someone along.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permatemp

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We used to hire a good chunk contract-to-hire, less so the last couple years. Most of the time people were brought on by about a year, usually less. Some big places (Medtronic) hire almost exclusively contract to start.

It doesn't have to be a bad thing, and you can always quit if it sucks. One of the nice things is if you're hourly you get to peace out if they expect long hours or crunches or anything.

While it's not ideal I don't think its a reason to stay unemployed.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Unsatisfied with career. What do I do?

~10 years working in banking, 5 of those being in compliance/anti-money laundering.

I'm in the North Bay Area, used to make $90k as a contractor, currenting $65k as a full time employee with benefits, full time work from home job (even without Covid). Wife makes about the same, but she has to drive to the office daily. We have no problem paying the bills/mortgage/saving.

I am just completely unmotivated at my job. Boss is a good guy, work is pretty boring. I do 1-2 hours of real work per day, which is just enough to get by. My department doesn't make the company money, so there is no investment in technology. My current spot involves a lot of copy&paste information from one system into Word to type a report, and then copy&paste into Excel to track trends.

I spend my days watching youtube videos of ranchers/farmers/homesteaders, dreaming of an outdoors life. I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis, I'm in my upper 30's. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I could go back to an office job after working from home for so long. I should be grateful to my job, they are above average from the banks I have worked at before. I feel like I'm just wasting away with no goals. I'm basically living Office Space, except with a happy marriage.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I spend my days watching youtube videos of ranchers/farmers/homesteaders, dreaming of an outdoors life. I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis, I'm in my upper 30's. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I could go back to an office job after working from home for so long. I should be grateful to my job, they are above average from the banks I have worked at before. I feel like I'm just wasting away with no goals. I'm basically living Office Space, except with a happy marriage.

Can't comment on career changes but just wanna suggest that you try to cut the youtube videos of that sort of stuff out of your life for a bit.

Just like any social media stuff it can really impact your day to day if you get into a weird space. Maybe try and schedule some outdoor time (within Covid regulations) and try to get out and about a bit.

That said, maybe you can try figuring out how to automate your job with python? What sort of things are you interested in? Are there other jobs at your bank you're interested in? If you had to go back to school for something, what would it be?

E: also you don't have to go 100% at something right away. Maybe you can start composting or something or growing herbs to scratch the itch.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 17, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Do you want more money? A career path? More intellectual challenge?

Figure out what you're looking for first and then figure out how to get there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya I would say stop watching those videos and use the extra time to improve skills or just stuff you might enjoy like a garden or some potted herbs.

If it's at all feasible go camping or volunteer in a community garden on weekends. Whatever outside activities you can find.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

It’s grindingly miserable to keep going at work when you’re basically checked out; that said, these are pretty uncertain times and a continuing pay check has a lot of value right now.

A way you could think of it is that your employer is subsidising you to build up a plan about what to do next, and you have a duty to your family to take as much of your employer’s money as possible while you figure it out.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Farming is great until you realize you have to do it every day or hire someone to take care of everything for you, or your goats and chickens and corn and whatever will die. No breaks, early rising, it sucks when you HAVE to do it.

How close are you to early retirement? If your wife is willing to move, you could probably save a lot more money living in not the bay area and get some land you could work on for fun on weekends. What do you do on weekends now? Because if it's not gardening things then you probably don't really want to farm, you just want something different.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

~10 years working in banking, 5 of those being in compliance/anti-money laundering.

I'm in the North Bay Area, used to make $90k as a contractor, currenting $65k as a full time employee with benefits, full time work from home job (even without Covid). Wife makes about the same, but she has to drive to the office daily. We have no problem paying the bills/mortgage/saving.

I am just completely unmotivated at my job. Boss is a good guy, work is pretty boring. I do 1-2 hours of real work per day, which is just enough to get by. My department doesn't make the company money, so there is no investment in technology. My current spot involves a lot of copy&paste information from one system into Word to type a report, and then copy&paste into Excel to track trends.

I'm in a similar situation, late 30s and spent 10+ years in a cost center in a financial firm. I'm in a new department now (marketing) but tbh it's not a huge difference given I still do a ton of copy&paste/data janitor kind of work.

In my case I've fully checked out. I've committed to doing the bare minimum to not get canned, and I have no aspirations for management or promotion of any kind. In fact I would be opposed to it, since it would come with a lot more responsibility yet the pay bump wouldn't be enough.

Like you, I do perhaps 1-2 hours of actual work per day. But I've found a slightly better way to spend the rest of the time: rather than just consuming content, I create it. Obviously it's not for everyone, but to me it's very satisfying to be on that side of the fence. I'm contributing the conversation and have a (small) voice in a small niche I'm passionate about.

Of course I've entertained thoughts of doing that full-time, but frankly it's not about the tiny income it generates on the side. And realistically it probably won't ever overtake my full-time job's salary. But I'm completely fine with that. It exposes me to new people and things in a different industry.

So I've found a bit of peace by having a passion project. There's a ton of stuff you can do entirely online. Learn something, write something, start a gimmick Twitter, make Doom maps, whatever. If you do go into content creation, know that it's usually thankless and any misconceptions you may have about becoming a social media influencer or whatever will quickly be dispelled.

Even if not online, it's great to have something to call your own. Surely there's some way you can start something related to farming or homesteading etc during your downtime at work or home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there's a reason that the number one goal of almost every farmer's kid is to get the gently caress off the farm. its because farming sucks mega rear end, seriously, it blows. work like a dog year round to not pay yourself. the cows dont take any days off. if you avoid livestock i guess you can at least reduce the pain to most of the year rather than 24/7/365.

a buddy of mine works in my small ag home state, and works with aspiring farmers on their business plan as part of a state agency. he has spoken very admiringly about one farm that had a decent business plan where "they were even taking salary by year three" so if you go in to farming expect to make negative money for a significant amount of time and also expect to get a divorce

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A good friend of mine had a similar romantic ideal about farming, having grown up as a city kid and working office jobs. Despite his supposed love of farming, he never did any gardening, landscaping, caring for animals, or anything of the sort. Just read a few books about "sustainable agriculture" and got really into the idea of being a farmer.

He actually ended up doing it. He moved across the country to a rural farm with some people that were trying to turn-around an old, unproductive family farm with all these new sustainable techniques.

Long story short, the romance died in short order and he didn't last even 6 months at it. Now he works at Google

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Am I a bad team player? In 10 years, I have tended to get along well with managers because I do very well on the work I own, and less well with supervisors/leads because I’m less enthusiastic about getting loaded down with work they get the credit for anyway. Basically when someone locks down my whole week I feel lousy, and when I have nothing on my schedule I work on what I think is most valuable and feel great.

I’m looking to change jobs and I’m wondering what I do with that. I’ve been looking for lead roles/reporting to a director, partly hoping to avoid thankless busywork by having less people delegating to me. But since it seems like the core issue is just ownership would it make more sense to look for individual contributor roles with high autonomy? Also I’ve had mostly inexperienced leads/supervisors and it’s possible I’ve gotten a bad sample. Maybe I just needed to negotiate boundaries and ownership better with leads.

Honestly not sure I have a real question here, I overthink everything and sometimes am just wondering if I’m making sense.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teardrop posted:

Am I a bad team player? In 10 years, I have tended to get along well with managers because I do very well on the work I own, and less well with supervisors/leads because I’m less enthusiastic about getting loaded down with work they get the credit for anyway. Basically when someone locks down my whole week I feel lousy, and when I have nothing on my schedule I work on what I think is most valuable and feel great.

I’m looking to change jobs and I’m wondering what I do with that. I’ve been looking for lead roles/reporting to a director, partly hoping to avoid thankless busywork by having less people delegating to me. But since it seems like the core issue is just ownership would it make more sense to look for individual contributor roles with high autonomy? Also I’ve had mostly inexperienced leads/supervisors and it’s possible I’ve gotten a bad sample. Maybe I just needed to negotiate boundaries and ownership better with leads.

Honestly not sure I have a real question here, I overthink everything and sometimes am just wondering if I’m making sense.
Nobody's going to be able to give you a straight answer because it's completely different from place to place. Just apply to everything and screen them out at the interview stage based on what you've said here. You're not asking for anything unreasonable.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

zmcnulty posted:

Of course I've entertained thoughts of doing that full-time, but frankly it's not about the tiny income it generates on the side. And realistically it probably won't ever overtake my full-time job's salary. But I'm completely fine with that. It exposes me to new people and things in a different industry.

So I've found a bit of peace by having a passion project. There's a ton of stuff you can do entirely online. Learn something, write something, start a gimmick Twitter, make Doom maps, whatever. If you do go into content creation, know that it's usually thankless and any misconceptions you may have about becoming a social media influencer or whatever will quickly be dispelled.

Even if not online, it's great to have something to call your own. Surely there's some way you can start something related to farming or homesteading etc during your downtime at work or home.

That's a good idea. I have some Python videos that I was planning on learning. Its just so much easier to turn my brain off and watch YouTube.

I've been gardening and raising egg laying chickens and planting fruit trees. But that only takes a few hours a week to upkeep. I used to create low-quality monthly garden videos.

I guess I have a list of things to do now.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They just keep giving me raises and bonuses. To what extent does me getting a higher salary entail a commitment on my part to keep working super hard and doing ridiculous hours? I got 3 raises this year. All this money is great, but I also feel kinda pressured into working way more than I should.

Sorry if this is a dumb concern, but I’m genuinely concerned.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it is basically impossible for us to give you an answer unless you tell us what industry you are in and what the role is

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Data science manager, second-tier company.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Has your company been having retention problems? The only case where I've seen multiple raises per year was where the company was paying way below market rates and having a lot of trouble holding on to people.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

Has your company been having retention problems? The only case where I've seen multiple raises per year was where the company was paying way below market rates and having a lot of trouble holding on to people.
I’m not sure. We had a few high profile people quitting and we have a problem with burnout around me, but I do not have enough experience or perspective to answer yes or no.

I think salary wise I started at approximately market rate for an early/mid level IC and now I’m above market for a freshly minted manager.

Company justification was I’ve consistently impressed both my peers and (c-suite) leadership btw.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Keep doing what your doing. Raises don't mean "You need to do more". Not even promotions mean that, really.

Data Science is still pretty hot and finding people with IC and management skills is real tough. It is really expensive to replace people like that and it's a smart thing for companies to pay to retain talent.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

Keep doing what your doing. Raises don't mean "You need to do more". Not even promotions mean that, really.

Data Science is still pretty hot and finding people with IC and management skills is real tough. It is really expensive to replace people like that and it's a smart thing for companies to pay to retain talent.
Thank you. That’s reassuring.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Thank you. That’s reassuring.

Imposter syndrome is a helluva thing. But you saying "I manage a team of Data Science folks and also do/can do IC work in that and I've managed to make C-Suite folks not think I'm just pissing money away" means I think your assessment of "I am probably above market pay wise" is probably WAYYY off.

The "I didn't do a good job of convincing upper management my expensive team was worth it" was how I got my DS team dissolved, that is MUCH harder to do that I think you think it is.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

Imposter syndrome is a helluva thing. But you saying "I manage a team of Data Science folks and also do/can do IC work in that and I've managed to make C-Suite folks not think I'm just pissing money away" means I think your assessment of "I am probably above market pay wise" is probably WAYYY off.
Ha, I meant slightly above market for my job title and definitely for my experience. Not necessarily for the value I bring. I'm at around ~140k TC right now, in Germany.

I come fairly freshly from academia, where everyone has imposter syndrome. And I never had it there. I'm smart, but my school grades were just ok, my PhD was just ok, my publication record was not good enough to make tenure. So I left. And suddenly everything is moving very fast. It's just ... a lot.

And everyone really likes me (this most recent raise apparently came about because I was nominated by the team at large for MVP), and tells me I'm so good at communicating. Which again is weird, everyone on this board hates me and thinks I'm amazingly bad at communicating?

So I'm not saying I think I'm overpaid or whatever. It's just a lot to deal with right now. I used to feel like an underachiever, and suddenly I feel like I'm an overachiever.

Sorry for ranting. I think I just need to process this.

Lockback posted:

The "I didn't do a good job of convincing upper management my expensive team was worth it" was how I got my DS team dissolved, that is MUCH harder to do that I think you think it is.
I've been pretty lucky in that I got a few raises for my direct reports pushed through this year. My honeymoon period for management so far is I've never had to fire anyone for being useless, or even really cuss out someone. I've had a lot of amazing people it's been an honour to handle and to ensure they get their slice of the big IPO cake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this is getting in to humblebrag territory, just chill out and don't overthink it

also do not do an insane amount of work. you're a manager. delegate that poo poo.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is getting in to humblebrag territory, just chill out and don't overthink it

also do not do an insane amount of work. you're a manager. delegate that poo poo.
Yeah sorry. I guess I just needed to vent and I didn’t want to humble brag to my IRL friends. You don’t talk salary in Germany. I’ll shut up and enjoy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't mean about the salary, friend! you got three raises, got promoted, got nominated by your own team for an award, and everyone is telling you you're loving crushing it. just uh, accept that. you are good at your job.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:smug:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I kinda wish my company gave a poo poo about me. I put in my two weeks notice and was told I wouldn't be able to walk it back. I'm the third highest producer with experience in almost every section and they aren't even lifting a finger to try and retain me. Hell they're pushing me out the door and locking it behind me. I'm hoping the career change is worth it though, I don't want to be stuck calibrating items my whole life

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

VP for one of our regions decided they liked me and suddenly I’m persona grata again. This place would be great without the whiplash.

Conclusion so far is that even when your ostensible targets are something easily measurable like P&L, your actual outcomes are governed by someone’s perception of what you can do for them in the future, of which “how good am I at my job right now?” is only an element and not necessarily the most important one. Corollary that it’s very very important to know at all times who that someone is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

I kinda wish my company gave a poo poo about me. I put in my two weeks notice and was told I wouldn't be able to walk it back. I'm the third highest producer with experience in almost every section and they aren't even lifting a finger to try and retain me. Hell they're pushing me out the door and locking it behind me. I'm hoping the career change is worth it though, I don't want to be stuck calibrating items my whole life

While I think sometimes you can have a positive negotiation after putting in notice, it's pretty rare. Don't ever put in notice expecting to get something out of your employer. Make the clean break and enjoy the new job.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
hello it's me, the career breaker. is pluralsight any good for keeping my eye in with training and stuff? or should i do something with coursera or whatnot. im going to be exporting fmcg to my home country so dont necessarily need a qualification but some theory would be good around product design and packaging etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

It depends on what you’re using it for. If you just want to understand stuff, my wife did a coursera on logistics and got a lot out of it and I did the same with edX in coding so I’d say yeah the content can be good. As a signal to third parties that you’ve got a skillset I don’t think the world has moved that far yet (and needless to say it’s useless as a prestige marker which is half of the real value of a good university degree).