Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

I'm not actually mad but it personally robs me of the fun and challenge of getting better. But hey that's why it's a toggle and not mandatory

Yeah there's definitely no challenge to Hades with that on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I didn't say it removed all challenge but yeah it's a massive advantage that lets you work around having to learn the enemy patterns with some weapons, hide n snipe is really effective here. I like learning the enemy patterns otherwise a game just feels like a generic button masher.

Although not going to lie a solid build will essentially turn the game into a button masher

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

KingSlime posted:

Sigh yeah ordering a replacement today, their fragility is keeping me from getting cool custom ones with an atomic purple shell and snes themed colored buttons though

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't have a shitload of awesome pro controller colors. Make it look like the loving N64 again, Nintendo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hades seems obviously built with the auto-aim in mind from an early point. It doesn't feel tacked on, it just feels like a game where the challenge was never meant to lie in "being able to line up a shot" or whatever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The auto aim is barely noticeable and it's the only thing that makes the bow and gun worth putting up with.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't have a shitload of awesome pro controller colors. Make it look like the loving N64 again, Nintendo

Give me translucent purple again

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
To each their own, I think being able to aim while considering positioning and enemy behavior should come with a learning curve. The reward is that you get to hide and snipe, which is a very powerful strategy. If you bungle juggling those priorities you're going to miss/get hit or enemies are going to swarm to your position

Having the lance shoot across the room directly to enemies with zero input on your end other than a button press is far too over tuned for my tastes

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KingSlime posted:

Having the lance shoot across the room directly to enemies with zero input on your end other than a button press is far too over tuned for my tastes

okay thanks for letting us know

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Morter posted:

So I very recently got a TV setup for which to play my Switch, which means time with a Switch Pro Controller, which I have, and like, but I noticed that it's messing me up on games like Project Diva and the Picross games where holding left or right on the D-Pad can be important, or rather: messing up can be pretty bad.

Turns out this was an issue with the switch Pro controller that I was unaware of--holding left or right can randomly throw in up-or-down inputs, even if you're careful. However on frenetic rhythm game songs, this is harder to be careful about. While there are some DIY fixes, I want to at least know if there's a standard-looking (as opposed to gimmicky SNES/Gamecube) controllers that have decent D-pads? Not needing expensive MLG-level quality, just something that works. :shobon:
I have an adapter I paid about $20 for called the Magic-NS that allows you to use a bunch of different controllers between a bunch of different input types. I primarily use it to use my Wii U Pro Controller on my Switch or my PC. My pro controller sees more use than my Wii U nowadays.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Default settings are definitely not the intended experience and you should turn them off and look down on people who play as intended

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

KingSlime posted:

To each their own, I think being able to aim while considering positioning and enemy behavior should come with a learning curve. The reward is that you get to hide and snipe, which is a very powerful strategy. If you bungle juggling those priorities you're going to miss/get hit or enemies are going to swarm to your position

try turning the heat up

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Personally I think it's bullshit that Mario lets me run just by holding a button, part of the challenge should come from me mashing 2 buttons to operate each leg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Martman posted:

Personally I think it's bullshit that Mario lets me run just by holding a button, part of the challenge should come from me mashing 2 buttons to operate each leg

Half press for left leg, full press for right

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Martman posted:

Yeah I agree death stranding was incredible and probably the game of the decade

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Unironically same

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I tried gta 5 one time, and the driving was terrible. There wasn't even a gear shifter, let alone a clutch pedal!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Its really good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

minya posted:

try turning the heat up

You have to be good enough to beat it first

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I know we are all making funny posts about overuse of immersion in games but I would play a GTA game that was essentially gran Turismo for the driving segments but I am aware that game would be a total failure. I also really really like death stranding even though it's loving stupid as hell

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd play a Tomb Raider game where Lara gets breast cancer.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

To, er, veer back on topic -

I love hard 2d platformers (although not really into Metroidvanias, TBH) and still occasionally boot up Meatboy.

I bought Celeste ages ago and I've played a few hours and bounced off it multiple times. Its immaculately done, I love the dash mechanic and appreciate the level design and the accessibility for other folks is excellent too. But I just can't seem to get into a groove, and I'm not sure why

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Mega64 posted:

I'd play a Tomb Raider game where Lara gets breast cancer.

This actually explains a lot about the incongruent physical appearance across the series

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Just got a switch (standard) and having a hard time narrowing down what are the essential accessories. I'm probably not going to be playing on the go alot and planning on playing on TV. Recs?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pro controller if you don't have one already. That's basically it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pro controller end list

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I really wish there was a way to rebind buttons in mariokart, I know having triggers as acceleration/braking doesn't mean poo poo without analogue triggers but it's been way too long since I played a racing game that didn't use that control method and I'm struggling to get back into it

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I know we are all making funny posts about overuse of immersion in games but I would play a GTA game that was essentially gran Turismo for the driving segments but I am aware that game would be a total failure.

You could play the original Mafia with manual controls for shifting and clutch and it was fun. I think there was even a post-game mission that required you to coast in neutral at some points to have enough fuel to complete it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Len posted:

I have that and God mode on and no regrets. I am not cheating myself to have the game be fun

By turning down the difficulty you'll beat the game soooner and have lessss fuuuun!

Almost regretted my choice to start with Hell Mode but eventually found my groove. Wife played it on God Mode and also found her groove.

Anecdotally correlating across some internet posts, everyone makes their first escape around run 30 regardless of difficulty settings.

Inarguable scientific conclusion: Hades Good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cash Monet posted:

Just got a switch (standard) and having a hard time narrowing down what are the essential accessories. I'm probably not going to be playing on the go alot and planning on playing on TV. Recs?

Also a bigass SD card from a reputable brand and legit retailer (so SanDisk or Samsung)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Amazon lightning deal yesterday was 400GB for $40.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Rack posted:

And fwiw, getting the switch pro controller to work in windows is usually a pain, but Hades is the game that gives me the fewest problems with it. No setup issues, even vibrates (I can't usually get this working)!

Are you playing through steam? Steam made setting up my pro controller a breeze and its worked great on every game I've tried it on.

Also gyro controls in FPSs on the PC is the poo poo. Not quite as good but drat close.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hades has Godmode? Oh noooo my precious ~intended experience~ lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Phillby posted:

Hades has Godmode? Oh noooo my precious ~intended experience~ lol

Just you posting about it ruined the game for me and I've already run my switch through a wood chipper

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

To, er, veer back on topic -

I love hard 2d platformers (although not really into Metroidvanias, TBH) and still occasionally boot up Meatboy.

I bought Celeste ages ago and I've played a few hours and bounced off it multiple times. Its immaculately done, I love the dash mechanic and appreciate the level design and the accessibility for other folks is excellent too. But I just can't seem to get into a groove, and I'm not sure why

Hm... Story mode isn't bad especially if you're well-versed in the genre. Maybe power-through? It's not a long game.

If you like the genre I'd also suggest the classic VVVVVV if you haven't tried it yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so I know this might not apply whatsoever to most goons here and until last week, it didn't apply to me either, but I have a Just Dance question... Are songs from previous versions ever available as DLC for the newer versions? My son LOVES the demos of both 2020 and 2021, and my wife and I are trying to decide which one to get.

I'm assuming that 2021 is the better option?

Edit: aaaand I just learned about Just Dance Unlimited. Wow, they've got that figured out. drat.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 19, 2020

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just got the collection. Runs great!

I noticed stutters in sam 1 and 3 has massive pop up problems, even with overclocking

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Muk Dumpster posted:

I noticed stutters in sam 1 and 3 has massive pop up problems, even with overclocking

Over clocking :thunk:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Martman posted:

Literally the worst part of Super Mario RPG.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Numlock posted:

Are you playing through steam? Steam made setting up my pro controller a breeze and its worked great on every game I've tried it on.

I hear it's supposed to be a painless issue, but it's been nothing but problems for me. I blame it on windows, that whole xinput thing that happened a while back, and also the games I play. I bought Nier Automata through steam, great controller support. Tetris Effect, not bought on steam but run in big-picture mode? Nothing. Some games get buttons-only, no sticks, and that works. All told, I'm kinda tired of trying to figure it out anymore.

Hades gets a special nod from me because of how well it works with my controller WITHOUT using steam at all. Maybe I'm a small case, but it left a positive impression on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Violet_Sky posted:

Give me translucent purple again

i would like to not only emptyquote this, but emptyquote it to every hardware manufacturer in the universe.