Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The right side will be fine that’s for sure.

Also that part to the left of the bolt, that’s not carrying a camshaft is it? It appears to have a punch mark in it. Unless that’s the area that carries the half moon gasket, then nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My buddy has a Husky 401, and his third oil change came out looking like someone threw a handful of glitter in the oil.

He's debating selling it off to the next schmuck or riding it until it grenades and gets something without a KTM mill.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The right side will be fine that’s for sure.

Also that part to the left of the bolt, that’s not carrying a camshaft is it? It appears to have a punch mark in it. Unless that’s the area that carries the half moon gasket, then nevermind.

It's a cam journal but that's a drop of oil not a mark.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
60Nm? Isn't that like an M8?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's an m8 yeah. Cylinder head bolt x4.

E: it honestly might be an m10 I can't remember and was despair-laughing too hard to pay attention

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If it's an M10 60 Nm isn't a problem for a 12.9.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Considering they can't get the hole in the middle I kind of doubt it's actually 12.9 tbh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are you accusing KTM AG of dubious parts sourcing, such as ByBre brakes?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Don't be absurd. As an owner of a product from said company, I can assure you that they would never do such things.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 17, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Holy gently caress it's cold. Wearing nitrile gloves underneath the leather ones doesn't help as much as I remembered.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get heated grips and heated gloves. Life changing.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Get heated grips and heated gloves. Life changing.

Heated grips are amazing. Also I'm absolutely floored at how good Harley Davidson gloves are. They make a pair of wind-blocking winter gloves that work great down to the mid 20's (F). I'm sure Tourmaster makes some kind of crazy winter glove that goes halfway up your arm, but I've never had success with gauntlets.

Also I can't recommend First Gear enough. Their heated base layer stuff can be cranked up to unbearably hot, and they make glove liners too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I went full goldilocks on heated gloves a couple years back and it's shocking how absolutely worthless most of them are. Gerbing? Can't even tell they are on.

The Tourmasters were the only ones that worked, and holy cow do they work. Even the tips of your fingers get full heat on the coldest of mornings. Best part is they are thin as summer gloves, so you don't lose dexterity. Tourmaster stuff is usually the nuclear option for warm gear, probably because they make snowmobile gear for Midwesterners and Canadians.

I have the non leather ones, but I bet these are even warmer.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-12v-synergy-20-heated-leather-gloves

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Can't beat heated grips for convenience. Not having to muck about with wires is great.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Already reported to the hague.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Wow, that’s something you don’t see every day.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Can you levitate a whiffle ball on it like those science museum exhibits?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Holy gently caress it's cold. Wearing nitrile gloves underneath the leather ones doesn't help as much as I remembered.

The bucket of sweat in those nitriles is just acting like a cold water bath now :cool:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Put a flapper on that and it might come back around to cool

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Is that a poorly-finished Chinesium open-exhaust trumpet modeled after an SC Project design with a fake Akra logo anodized into it? Or did someone actually take a loving sawzall to a 4-figure Akra pipe?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Where is the rest of it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ought ten posted:

Can you levitate a whiffle ball on it like those science museum exhibits?

This made me chuckle.

Jazzzzz posted:

Is that a poorly-finished Chinesium open-exhaust trumpet modeled after an SC Project design with a fake Akra logo anodized into it? Or did someone actually take a loving sawzall to a 4-figure Akra pipe?

Look in your heart. I believe it was a hacksaw.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

All right, own up, which one of you did I see tonight

https://i.imgur.com/thZQYAl.mp4

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Cycle Asylum? Purple underglow? You should know better - Razzled lives in Georgia

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That reminds me. I need to install downward facing red rock lights to the back of the hawk triggered by the brake circuit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

All right, own up, which one of you did I see tonight

https://i.imgur.com/thZQYAl.mp4

Lmao rad. I saw a person on a really nice Orange SV1K on the way home last night and just got really jealous

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A man gets me to pick up his tricity because he decided to diy a CVT belt, hosed it up somehow and now the bike makes funny noises and hesitates badly. I didn't want to do this job, I don't normally wipe people's bums for them, but it was a favour for a mate so whatever.

Took off the cvt cover, everything inside is tickety boo. At this point I want to emphasize that it's possible to service the entire cvt area by just removing this cover, nothing else on the bike needs to be disturbed.

Checked the rest of the bike, turns out the rear caliper bolts are finger tight, rear shock bolt had backed out completely and was only trapped in the bike by the muffler. Put all that right, went to test ride and it misfires to the point of being unrideable - pulled off the engine cover toward the front of the bike and found the ignition lead sort of hanging somewhat near the plug. Fixed that and it rides ok.

Text the guy all this and he tells me it's fine, send the bill. So I did. Then he comes back asking me what the torque specs are for the loving shock bolt on a glorified scooter and also he's certain he did all that stuff up and it's so unlikely and dahdahdah and now my blood is boiling. All I did was fix your gently caress ups (at a very reasonable price) and all you can think to do is ask me, the professional, idiotic time wasting questions because you're so in denial about being an amateur massively out of his depth. Let me Google that for you, fuckface.

Working on the bikes is fun and easy even when they're orange or ancient or terrible choppers. Dealing with the humans is 95% agonizing torture and if I knew something else I could do for money that doesn't involve human interaction I would. Why are people so dumb and terrible? I realise the answer is I can't change the world so I need to change myself so it doesn't drive me crazy and shave years off my life and give me grey hair, but I don't know how to reprogram the basic nature of my brain.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
As I read that I was thinking "oh wow bet thats gonna be cheaper than fixing a transmission fuckup that might be bent valves or whatever" but was waiting for the inevitable. Can you add a fee for them being a dick or something. You just saved them money NOW by fixing the problem cheaply, and money later by fixing the bike that was gonna fall apart and brick itself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Working on the bikes is fun and easy even when they're orange
Whoa whoa hold on

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that's to emphasize how frustrating and stressful humans are for me, they make ktm feel like Suzuki.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been screwed on my time off this year - had a trip to England planned in March for four days of raving / lunacy at the wonderful Pontins in Southport, I skipped it at the last minute due to covid concerns (20 people from my group went and no one got sick). Had three weeks of paternity leave scheduled for July, only ended up with one and I worked some in that week anyway. Now a coworker is leaving at the end of the month and a lot of his duties will fall onto me until I can find a replacement. I wanted to do the Aprilia RS 660 demo track day in two weeks but it's on a Monday and I wasn't sure what would pop up at work. Yesterday I realized I was really enjoying having a long weekend, and that I've barely taken vacation in the past two years, so I said gently caress it and impulse booked it. I figure a 20 min track session is going to be a lot more fun than trying to get a test ride from a dealer, especially if they're selling like hot cakes when they arrive.

Now the problem is I realize my leather pants are uncomfortably tight, thanks covid. Guess it's time for a two week crash diet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have seen the light and finally realised that soldering sucks rear end and belongs nowhere near motorbikes (ICs excepted because they're basically black box).

I realised this because a) I suck at soldering and clearly don't really know what I'm doing, and b) the job I had to do this afternoon would have taken a quarter of the time if I'd used butt crimps instead.

I really need to buy a box of crimps :/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I have seen the light and finally realised that soldering sucks rear end and belongs nowhere near motorbikes (ICs excepted because they're basically black box).

I realised this because a) I suck at soldering and clearly don't really know what I'm doing, and b) the job I had to do this afternoon would have taken a quarter of the time if I'd used butt crimps instead.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/learn-more-about-posi-locks-connectors-taps/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. No no no.

I would backhand the owner of a bike with these on it. If you don't want to solder two wires together (quite often the absolute best solution btw) you get some brass crimp lugs and a $20 set of crimpers like a grown up, don't run micky mouse fisher price bullshit. All those will do is just create another electrical fault in a couple of years time, plus they look incredibly cludgy and amateurish. If you want to connect and disconnect things you get crimped bullet terminals that also work with the aforementioned crimpers, they look totally factory and are ideal for the application.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

:catstare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soldering is real and good and strong and my friend but it has to be done correctly and used in appropriate places. It is totally appropriate to make a soldered splice in a place where the wires carry a reasonable amount of current, do not need to flex at the joint, and do not need to be disassembled. A lineman's splice is strong, permanent, and no larger than the wires themselves.

However, you wouldn't do something like solder a new lamp directly into your wiring harness, or use those vampire connectors, because you're not an rear end in a top hat. You would of course splice in a pigtail with crimped bullet connectors (or similar) on the ends, and use that to connect the new device.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

No. No no no.

I would backhand the owner of a bike with these on it. If you don't want to solder two wires together (quite often the absolute best solution btw) you get some brass crimp lugs and a $20 set of crimpers like a grown up, don't run micky mouse fisher price bullshit. All those will do is just create another electrical fault in a couple of years time, plus they look incredibly cludgy and amateurish. If you want to connect and disconnect things you get crimped bullet terminals that also work with the aforementioned crimpers, they look totally factory and are ideal for the application.

Hate to break it to you Slavvy, but those aren't fisher price bullshit. They work loving great for low voltage accessory wiring, which is what they're targeted for, and they're simple enough to use that people who couldn't make a decent crimp to save their rear end in hell can make a good connection with them.

I'd rather see a Posi-Lock in the middle of a wiring harness than a poo poo solder job or loose butt crimp because they're incredibly easy to un-gently caress if the installer had an IQ low enough to gently caress them up in the first place. Posi-Taps are also WAY loving better than a standard vampire tap as far as solid connections, and they also mean a PO doesn't have to cut/splice/split the factory harness to run whatever abomination they've decided to wire up, so I again can easily un-gently caress whatever they might have done.

If someone knows what they're doing, then absolutely, they should use decent crimp connections/bullet connectors/etc. as appropriate. I'm sure you're all too well aware, there are vanishingly few people who know their rear end from their elbows when it comes to wiring. Look at this poo poo the guy who made my sidecar sent me as an example of how to tap the turn/brake signal wiring on my bike (this is from a German!).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

No. No no no.

Lets make an entire harness using as many of those as possible.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

idgi soldering is easy and the little shrinkydinks make everything look real tidy when its done whats not to love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Who was the insane rear end in a top hat in this forum who used a bunch of wiring with the same color insulation to do a big chunk of the loom?