Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Benefits of homebrew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I really wish there was a way to rebind buttons in mariokart, I know having triggers as acceleration/braking doesn't mean poo poo without analogue triggers but it's been way too long since I played a racing game that didn't use that control method and I'm struggling to get back into it

You can rebind buttons on the Switch. I think you can even set up a few different control schemes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Hammer Bro. posted:

By turning down the difficulty you'll beat the game soooner and have lessss fuuuun!

Almost regretted my choice to start with Hell Mode but eventually found my groove. Wife played it on God Mode and also found her groove.

Anecdotally correlating across some internet posts, everyone makes their first escape around run 30 regardless of difficulty settings.

Inarguable scientific conclusion: Hades Good.

Run 16 with shield for me. Took until Run 23 to win with another weapon.

Shield is easy mode.

Hades good. Kill ur dad.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just noticed the web version of the eshop got a bit of an improvement today. Which is impressive compared to what Sony just did to theirs. :rip: my ps3/4 wishlist

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Morter posted:

Alright, since the DIY fix is being pushed can someone recommend a video to follow along? I have a bit of tech savviness but I'm not very confident in my own hands so the more I know/am reassured, the better.
You can follow along with this video but I have some comments on it. You don't need to tape the electrical contacts as shown at 3:10--this was an earlier fix that people tried but it didn't solve the problem completely. I've found that putting tape on the pivot alone is sufficient, but I suppose if you still have problems with that you might want to tape the contacts after.

Since you don't need to tape the contacts you don't actually need to remove the controller board completely. It's been a couple of years since I did this, but I don't think I even removed the ribbon cables. You just have to open it up enough to be able to remove the d-pad piece, tape it, and put it back in.

The only tool you should need for all of this is a #0 Phillips screwdriver. However, if you don't already have one I highly recommend the iFixit Essential Electronics Toolkit for doing this kind of stuff as it not only has a good screwdriver and a decent set of bits, but it also has all the useful plastic tools that are helpful for manipulating electronics without scratching the poo poo out of them.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Phillby posted:

Hades has Godmode? Oh noooo my precious ~intended experience~ lol

I am sure you are joking but for anyone confused, “Godmode” in Hades is a mode that starts you off at 20% damage reduction and bumps it 2% every time you fail a run. I don’t know what it caps at, but it’s not outright invincibility. It’s called Godmode because the game is about a bunch of Gods.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Walla posted:

You can rebind buttons on the Switch. I think you can even set up a few different control schemes.

I think I know what you mean tbh, someone mentioned the feature to me when I was talking to them about how the button layout is foreign to me as an xbox dude, presumably its somewhere in the controller or system menus of the switch and you're not referring to ingame button mapping, right?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think I know what you mean tbh, someone mentioned the feature to me when I was talking to them about how the button layout is foreign to me as an xbox dude, presumably its somewhere in the controller or system menus of the switch and you're not referring to ingame button mapping, right?

It's a system level thing. I think if you go to Settings > Controller you'll find it somewhere in there. I used it to fix Xenoblade Chronicle's extraordinarily broken button/d-pad mapping

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

No one needs God Mode in Hades

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

minya posted:

It's a system level thing. I think if you go to Settings > Controller you'll find it somewhere in there. I used it to fix Xenoblade Chronicle's extraordinarily broken button/d-pad mapping

Yes this. Go to System Settings> Controllers and Sensors> Change Button Mapping

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Alan_Shore posted:

No one needs God Mode in Hades

There's no purity of the experience to lose in Hades. God Mode is a distilled version of the game's core loop: as you play, Zagreus gets stronger and stronger until you become capable of winning. The only difference is that when players win on God Mode, Supergiant can't hope they confuse their success with mastery of the game.

I don't really believe this; or rather there's a kernel of truth here but also a bunch of smug bullshit. Please read as tongue-in-cheek.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For sure idk about purity of experience but objectively for me it is much more fun when I am in control vs auto aim/aim assist/whatever. Obviously it has to feel good with this setting off and thankfully Hades plays perfectly fine and is possible to master with auto aim entirely off.

I also like classic monster hunter games for these reasons. The "clunk" becomes an additional wrinkle or problem that you have to solve in the heat of the moment. Granted, your guy flexing for seconds after taking a potion will always be bullshit but I like everything else that makes combat "annoying'," you better plan for that poo poo and be ready to adapt on the fly.

I understand not everybody likes to play video games that feel like actual labor and am open to the idea that something is deeply wrong with me

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Mario Sunshine now has full GCN controller support, and toggleable camera controls! :toot:
...but I played enough of it with the new camera that now my muscle memory for aiming in first person is slightly confused and the roller coaster balloons mission is now extra awful :v:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Man... I want to get Age of Calamity, but my backlog is too big with the PS5 games I now have. Damnit.

Amazon Price Tracks says that Hyrule Warriors got as low as $42 on the Switch and Wii U. Maybe I should wait it out

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

To, er, veer back on topic -

I love hard 2d platformers (although not really into Metroidvanias, TBH) and still occasionally boot up Meatboy.

I bought Celeste ages ago and I've played a few hours and bounced off it multiple times. Its immaculately done, I love the dash mechanic and appreciate the level design and the accessibility for other folks is excellent too. But I just can't seem to get into a groove, and I'm not sure why

FWIW, I was similar in that I had played a ton of hard platformers (I think I 100%ed SMB, or at least close to it) and thought Celeste was very overrated at first. It wasn't until I got into the B and C sides, and especially the second half of the game, that I really appreciated it. Every time I go back to it now, I'm blown away by how good it is.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I’m on run 50 something and still haven’t escaped, wrap it up hadeliures :smug:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
More like zagreusailures amirite

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild are $45 right now at Best Buy, I don’t think they’re gonna get much lower than that unless you’re getting MK8 as a pack-in

lol as if there’s anyone in this thread who doesn’t have those three games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I do but two are on the Wii U

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of https://twitter.com/nintendeal/status/1329128337122369537?s=21

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

That is a ridiculous amount of dust and I just want to watch someone wipe it in one slow swipe.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Is there anything good to know before starting on Xcom?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Be prepared for your soldiers to die. They are but tears in the rain. Also, abuse every advantage you have: overwatch and grenades when possible, also concealment for optimum positioning. Don't worry too much if u get caught by surprise by mechanics and enemy abilities. There's no Shane in save spamming especially while you're still getting the hang of how to play optimally. Have fun!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Be prepared for your soldiers to die. They are but tears in the rain. Also, abuse every advantage you have: overwatch and grenades when possible, also concealment for optimum positioning. Don't worry too much if u get caught by surprise by mechanics and enemy abilities. There's no Shane in save spamming especially while you're still getting the hang of how to play optimally. Have fun!

Be careful with Overwatch! It can be a real noob trap as it causes the enemy to be less likely to move, and more likely to shoot. In a lot of cases that makes you more likely to die. Use it when an enemy is very likely to move (eg. They're melee, out of cover, or can't see you).

Also, 80% to hit means a 1 in 5 chance to miss. A lot of new players mentally round up any hit chance of 80 or higher to 100% and get angry and reload if they miss. Don't do that! It wrecks the game and you get laughed at by veterans. Get used to mitigating risk, have a plan for what to do if you miss your shots and do not gamble a soldier's life on even reasonable odds.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Quick question about Picross S. If there any particular standout in the series, or am I good to just start working my way through the game from 1?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bug Squash posted:

Quick question about Picross S. If there any particular standout in the series, or am I good to just start working my way through the game from 1?
1 and 2 don't have color picross or mega-picross, if those are things you like.

On the flipside, I think 3 and 4 have fewer regular picross puzzles because they have the other game modes. I might be wrong about that, though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Austen Tassletine posted:

Is there anything good to know before starting on Xcom?

Complaining about RNG on the internet actually doesn't work

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tuo posted:

Complaining about RNG on the internet actually doesn't work

Tell that to every post I've made in the "things dragging games down" where immediately after bitching on the internet I beat the boss/encounter/get the drop

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I used God Mode in Hades because I am bad at that kind of game but really enjoyed it when I had a little bit of extra leeway. Only issue I had was as I got better at the game, I wanted to reduce the damage reduction I had racked up without totally getting rid of it, but there's no way to reset it. But that was mitigated by the heat system, so it wasn't too big a deal for me.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

If you're new, there's more picross in Picross S1 than you'll probably ever need

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Bingo Cop Metis posted:

I used God Mode in Hades because I am bad at that kind of game but really enjoyed it when I had a little bit of extra leeway. Only issue I had was as I got better at the game, I wanted to reduce the damage reduction I had racked up without totally getting rid of it, but there's no way to reset it. But that was mitigated by the heat system, so it wasn't too big a deal for me.
I really didn't feel like it made the game too much easier, but I also only flipped it on a couple times in my first 10-15 hours to get used to getting through Styx. I've seen other people mention it, but it would be cool if you lost 2% for completing a run with god mode enabled.

Also regarding the auto-aim, it's not like the projectiles you shoot are curving in toward the enemy like in an FPS, I think it's kind of just locking you onto the nearest one. I'd say it feels more convenient than cheap.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I asked the Supergiant Twitter once about being able to reduce or reset the God Mode %, and they told me to just use the +damage modifier and treat it like free heat.

In the course of playing I ran my God Mode up to like 66% or something, and found my sweet spot to be the 2nd tier of damage increase, so I've just settled in at around 20%-25% I guess.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Be careful with Overwatch! It can be a real noob trap as it causes the enemy to be less likely to move, and more likely to shoot. In a lot of cases that makes you more likely to die. Use it when an enemy is very likely to move (eg. They're melee, out of cover, or can't see you).

Also, 80% to hit means a 1 in 5 chance to miss. A lot of new players mentally round up any hit chance of 80 or higher to 100% and get angry and reload if they miss. Don't do that! It wrecks the game and you get laughed at by veterans. Get used to mitigating risk, have a plan for what to do if you miss your shots and do not gamble a soldier's life on even reasonable odds.

Excellent points! Mitigating risk is the main thing. Play the percentages, always expect that you might miss an easy shot or that the energy might crit an unlikely one. I neglected to say that overwatch abuse has to synergize with enemy movement, thanks. I usually have most of my squad back out of range, and draw the monsters into their death using a runner (backed up with remote heals and aid protocols)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have now had three successful Hades runs, each with a different weapon.

No god mode, but it's a pretty challenging game and I can see how that wouldn't be for everyone.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

DC Murderverse posted:

Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild are $45 right now at Best Buy, I don’t think they’re gonna get much lower than that unless you’re getting MK8 as a pack-in

lol as if there’s anyone in this thread who doesn’t have those three games

I've been waiting for a sale on Odyssey and BOTW and neither of them are on sale in Canada :mad:

It appears to be all the first party titles that I either already have or don't really want.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

these picross games look fantastic.

any reason to believe they'll go on sale soon? i don't see them on any pages listing black friday deals.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Excellent points! Mitigating risk is the main thing. Play the percentages, always expect that you might miss an easy shot or that the energy might crit an unlikely one. I neglected to say that overwatch abuse has to synergize with enemy movement, thanks. I usually have most of my squad back out of range, and draw the monsters into their death using a runner (backed up with remote heals and aid protocols)

All of my stored XCOM knowledge is starting to flow back like a Nam flashback reading this!

If you activate multiple pods of enemies, pull your soldier's back! That many baddies shooting at you will inevitably cause a fatality or even a wipe. Run to a defensive position and let them come to you while you have Overwatch up.

The mantra for Veteran difficulty and above is: full cover is half cover, half cover is no cover, no cover is death. Try to always be in full cover as you can get critted in half cover. (You can't always be in full cover but :xcom:)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I have now had three successful Hades runs, each with a different weapon.

No god mode, but it's a pretty challenging game and I can see how that wouldn't be for everyone.

It gets much much easier as you go along, because you keep unlocking stuff that makes you gradually stronger.

Like your first run through the game you have 50 HP. If you have fully unlocked everything you can have 250 HP (Including revives). You have to make the game harder and harder to keep unlocking stuff, but there is a point in time where you are getting stronger faster than the game is getting harder.

You get more HP, stats, damage buffs, your weapons get new aspects that can be upgraded, you unlock new keepsakes and can upgrade those keepsakes. I went back and played a new file the other day and as someone who had a 30 win streak on my main file I died remarkably early on

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

All of my stored XCOM knowledge is starting to flow back like a Nam flashback reading this!

:xcom:

Teenage memories of XCOM: Terror From the Deep haunt me still. Reluctantly clicking on a terror mission knowing that half my squad won't make it back. The screams of the civilians, the humming of Deep Ones. The nighttime.

Hyrule warriors is kinda fun because it feels like I have a whole BotW playset and I'm just smashing Link into bokoblins and laughing like a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It gets much much easier as you go along, because you keep unlocking stuff that makes you gradually stronger.

Like your first run through the game you have 50 HP. If you have fully unlocked everything you can have 250 HP (Including revives). You have to make the game harder and harder to keep unlocking stuff, but there is a point in time where you are getting stronger faster than the game is getting harder.

You get more HP, stats, damage buffs, your weapons get new aspects that can be upgraded, you unlock new keepsakes and can upgrade those keepsakes. I went back and played a new file the other day and as someone who had a 30 win streak on my main file I died remarkably early on

I mean obviously I know all that by the time I hit 3 wins, but there are a LOT of permutations in weapon build varieties, boons and mirror upgrades to use, not even getting into the heat system

Two runs that start with identical settings can leave you with WILDLY different power levels at the end, depending on what options you get during. I think it's still pretty challenging even with all the weapons unlocked and the mirror maxed out, if you are trying to fulfill all the minor prophecies etc