Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Achievement unlocked: Got the cops called on me for leaving the kid in the car while I grabbed a free box from the front display at the post office. (Less than one minute, 50 degrees out)

Maybe I'm in the wrong IDK. Help me parenting thread. Cops did not care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bananaquiter posted:

Achievement unlocked: Got the cops called on me for leaving the kid in the car while I grabbed a free box from the front display at the post office. (Less than one minute, 50 degrees out)

This is a situation where I can both see myself doing what you did and I can see myself not being pissed if the cops were called. The person doing it just had the kids best interest in mind. I'd rather lots of false alarms get called than one single kid die... so I wouldn't take it personally.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

like everything else in parenting, it depends on the kid, but you're fine.

as long as they didn't get child protective services involved... i get that their work is extremely important when is needed, but I've worked with enough cps workers to see that many of them just look for reasons to make your life shittier.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I’m on your side with this one. If the person really cared about the kid’s welfare then there’s no harm in waiting 5 minutes to see if the parent is going to come back out. Calling immediately seems to be more in the vein of ‘teaching you a lesson’. And considering the highly subjective and racialized nature of police and CPS encounters (~50% of black children will have an encounter with CPS), calling them in frivolously isn’t guaranteed to be a benign experience.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Koivunen posted:

Very much this. I kept a one-line-a-day journal since my daughter was born, and I legit do not remember the nights where I wrote “up every 45 minutes again last night” or “cried for four hours.” In my memory, she hardly ever cried, and losing sleep wasn’t that bad. She’s only 18 months, so memory erasure happens pretty quick lol.
Are you sure it was about your daughter crying?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

I love noon naptime though. We've had it forever (now 1.5 years old) and for the longest time he would only sleep on the boppie pillow on my lap, for well over the first year, which was such an obligation for me to just sit there for an hour+ playing on my phone in the blacked out room with the brightness down low enough it wouldn't distract him if he opened an eye and caught my face lit up. He just kept getting bigger and bigger until finally I said gently caress this and put him in the crib which was a disaster but eventually he started going right down and I got an actual lunch break. I think that was the single biggest quality of life improvement for me in this whole process.

lol this was us too up until about 11-12 months. She did her afternoon naps on top of us and I would play Switch or read or whatever. God help you if you had to pee. Eventually she was just too big for it and had a similar transition to the crib for naps.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

He's a butthead about sleep, but there is a trade off. I don't get up in the morning to get her cause she can say mama but doesn't. She normally wakes up around 6:30-6:45, but sometimes it's as early as 5 AM saying dada. I wake him up cause she's calling for him. :smug: So I have the ability sleep in as I don't have to be at work until 9:30 AM.

I did get her to say mama last night in the bathtub. She whispered it like it was a bad word. She's so weird.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

1up posted:

parents of older boys, when you started potty training did you jump right in to teaching them to pee standing or did you potty train and then introduce stand and pee?

my 2 year old is showing a lot of readyness and we are planning on going for it next week with all the time off for thxgiving but we are torn on how to tackle sit vs stand.

we taught him to sit but the first time he used to potty by himself he ran over and did a wee standing up. hands free! we haven't had time to keep up the training though so he's back in nappies again :(

edit he's 2 and 1 monh

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Bananaquiter posted:

My mum used to leave me in the car alone for what felt like hours at a time while she did the grocery shopping or gambled. I wish someone had called the cops on her.

That being said, I don't think you're in the wrong. Getting the kid out of the car for a minute while you come in and out of a store probably puts them at far greater unnecessary risk than leaving them in the car briefly on a cool day does.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bananaquiter posted:

That’s pretty impressive you got the cops out to you for being away for less than a minute. Did they flag you down afterwards or something?

I see both sides. The person calling may not have known where you went.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

nwin posted:

That’s pretty impressive you got the cops out to you for being away for less than a minute. Did they flag you down afterwards or something?

I see both sides. The person calling may not have known where you went.

Nah she saw me leave my car and go in. And followed my car when I left until the cops flagged me, about three minutes later.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bananaquiter posted:

Nah she saw me leave my car and go in. And followed my car when I left until the cops flagged me, about three minutes later.

wait

so this person saw you walk in, and walk out a minute later, then tailed you while she called the cops?

what a loving nut.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Bananaquiter posted:

Clearly the caller does not have a child or has the perfect child that is cool with being freed from a car seat then returning to it 30 seconds later on a nice autumn day.

If I take my kid out of the car seat it is not an option to put her back in for at least a 20 min cool down. She has super human toddler strength right now and you cannot force her to sit.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Did she also get out of the car to proudly tell the cops the horrendous activity she witnessed? What a loon.

That's why I have tinted windows on our vehicles. No one can see what's going on in the back seats.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: cops. That lady is completely in the wrong. What a nut, and what a huge waste of police time. With covid, I don’t want to bring my kid anywhere, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. I have left my kid in the car briefly a couple times for errands that I absolutely have to run, like picking up medication from the pharmacy or going inside to pay for gas. I’m not going to expose my kid, who can’t wear a mask, for an errand that takes two seconds.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Isn't frivolously calling the cops a misdemeanor or something?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mistaken Identity posted:

Isn't frivolously calling the cops a misdemeanor or something?

Only in California! Recently passed the CAREN act (not making this up) to stop this poo poo

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bananaquiter posted:

drat. Yeah I don’t think you’re in the wrong.

I could easily see someone overreacting and instead of asking you if you know your kid is in the car, just calling the cops. But for them to see you come out a minute later...and then follow your car until the cops come? I mean, maybe at that point they should have called the cops back and said “my bad. He was gone for a minute and he’s back with the kid.”

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

My 4 yr old shows little to zero interest in advancing his potty training. He can go pee but occasionally gets needy about it where he wants us to do everything but pee for him. When he's at home, he's still having multiple accidents a day and never tells us anything. His daycare\pre-k (same building) has 0 accidents with him. All they do is take him every hour or so. We do that too, even offer treats as rewards but nope. :sigh: I don't know what to say\do that will get him interested. When we smell poop and ask him, he lies to us and says he doesn't. The only negative is just a pleading sigh to tell us so we can help his booty from getting sore.

The only actual times he's told us he has to pee in advance is at Target.

I know boys learn slower and it takes some kids a while but I feel like there's some kind of disconnect going on. I can't wrap my head around it being as simple as every hour when we've tried that and he still has multiple accidents a day.

We’ve been going through something similar with our 2.5yo. He will pee in the potty all day but pooping is another matter. A couple weeks ago he waited until my wife was on the phone with a friend before having four poop accidents within a 45min time span. He consistently tells us he’s gone poop in his toddler potty and hasn’t, and when we prompt him to use the potty he will comply 50% of the time with no complaint but go over there, sit down, then immediately say he’s all done.

As to boys learning slower I’m not sure there’s evidence to support this, as girls and boys in the younger years around this time should definitely be at the same cognitive and intellectual level.

Any difficulty potty training doesn’t have to be an intellectual difficulty, lots of times it’s us and our reactions that are the problem and I for one have a tough time dealing with accidents when I know he can poop in the potty (because I’ve seen him do it twice in a row without prompting so he’s demonstrated he knows what to do and what the feeling is like). When you’re trying to make yourself a meal and you have to constantly stop to clean up his poo poo it is like a nightmare.

For ours, he pooped successfully in the potty yesterday, a day after we had to introduce a small consequence. We tried a reward but this didn’t work. He also seems to have a preference between his big potty insert in his bathroom or his toddler potty (definitely the big potty because he can run in there and go in privacy without pressure).

In my not-expert opinion, your kid is 4, so definitely knows what pushes your buttons and that he doesn’t necessarily have to do what he’s told. I don’t envy training a kid who is older than 3, hard enough training a 2-2.5yo. I don’t know what the answers are, that’s tough—I’m just saying he’s definitely smart enough to understand what’s expected here so you might wanna consider that he’s resisting

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
When my daughter turned 4, she had a big potty training regression because of her new brother, to the point when she started school the following year, she was still having accidents. We bought this potty watch and set it to go off every 2 hours. We chose the vibration option instead of the sound alarm, but it worked WONDERFULLY. Instead of being obstinate every time we reminded her to use the toilet, she would run when the watch told her and try. She really liked that it looks like a normal watch vs other brands of potty watches, so wearing it everyday wasn't an issue. We only had to use it for 2 months before she stopped withholding on purpose or ignoring the need to pee until the last possible second and having an accident.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

My kids are late with things but I'm really curious if there are any books that can help with boy's potty training. Also, was searching for a book we saw in our virtual learning class today and geezus, a new copy costs upwards of $50. What the heck, yo.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Has anyone had an infant with positional plagiocephaly?

Our 9 month old boy has a "mild to moderate" (according the pediatrician) flat spot on the back right side of his head and we are considering getting him an orthotic helmet to help encourage his skull to grow in a more symmetrical manner. The pediatrician basically said it's up to us if we want to do it and there is really no downside (other than cost and annoyance) and did mention it should improve naturally on its own if we chose not to do the helmet, but she also mentioned that the helmet should speed things up and could lead to a more "complete" improvement. There has already been some natural improvement since his 4 month checkup, but it's still not symmetrical.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had an infant with plagiocephaly, whether you did the orthotic helmet, and how the head shape improved over time (with or without the helmet). Thanks!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Mind_Taker posted:

Has anyone had an infant with positional plagiocephaly?

Our 9 month old boy has a "mild to moderate" (according the pediatrician) flat spot on the back right side of his head and we are considering getting him an orthotic helmet to help encourage his skull to grow in a more symmetrical manner. The pediatrician basically said it's up to us if we want to do it and there is really no downside (other than cost and annoyance) and did mention it should improve naturally on its own if we chose not to do the helmet, but she also mentioned that the helmet should speed things up and could lead to a more "complete" improvement. There has already been some natural improvement since his 4 month checkup, but it's still not symmetrical.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had an infant with plagiocephaly, whether you did the orthotic helmet, and how the head shape improved over time (with or without the helmet). Thanks!

We did with my daughter and we did not start until 10 months old with Cranial Technologies. I highly recommend them. We were given the referral at 6 months and I waited, hoping her head would round out on its own. It did NOT get better on its own. Starting at 10 months made the process very long, but it was worth it. She went from a severe to a mild case after 2 bands (8 months total). There's a very helpful facebook group you can join called DOC Band Parent Community. Tons of support and love in that group.

The entire process was very difficult for me, personally. I carried a lot of guilt that I did something wrong. It took a long time to realize I didn't do anything wrong, it's very common in premature babies, and she was also diagnosed with torticollis and had to do some physical therapy. But I spent a lot of time crying over it. People will stare in public. Some will ask questions. Some of them will be rude because they don't know any better. It was hard not to get emotional and snap at people. I would do my best to educate them so they would know what it is and why she's wearing it.

The advice that I give to a lot of other parents in the facebook group is not to wait. There's no time machine to go back in time. You can't fix it later. If you think you will regret not getting it later on when it's too late, then get it. A lot of parents also say something like: "Well, I think we are not going to go with it because her hair will hide it anyway. You have no idea how your child of whatever sex/gender will choose to wear their hair when they are grown and make their own choices. I know plenty of people from all walks of life with short hair.

The next piece of advice if you go forward: be strict about it. 23 hours a day means 23 hours a day. Sure, there are exceptions. Like picture day. We didn't get professional pictures done in them (although a lot of people do! There's a very cute calendar here: https://www.cranialtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2021-Calendar-digital.pdf ) And during her 1st birthday party she didn't wear it. Other than rare special occasions, it was on. She went to daycare with it on and we never had any issue.

I had a lot of fun decorating her bands. I bought cheap vinyl wrap and learned how to apply it with the hour a day break she had wearing it. I changed it up frequently and for holidays. In the end, the band was just another accessory for my kid. Changing it up helped me cope in a way. Band 1 was finished right before Christmas 2019, and now it lives on a teddy bear.

If you have any questions you don't want to ask here, feel free to PM me. Definitely check out the facebook group, it is very active. It truly is a helpful and supportive group.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sarah posted:

We did with my daughter and we did not start until 10 months old with Cranial Technologies. I highly recommend them. We were given the referral at 6 months and I waited, hoping her head would round out on its own. It did NOT get better on its own. Starting at 10 months made the process very long, but it was worth it. She went from a severe to a mild case after 2 bands (8 months total). There's a very helpful facebook group you can join called DOC Band Parent Community. Tons of support and love in that group.

The entire process was very difficult for me, personally. I carried a lot of guilt that I did something wrong. It took a long time to realize I didn't do anything wrong, it's very common in premature babies, and she was also diagnosed with torticollis and had to do some physical therapy. But I spent a lot of time crying over it. People will stare in public. Some will ask questions. Some of them will be rude because they don't know any better. It was hard not to get emotional and snap at people. I would do my best to educate them so they would know what it is and why she's wearing it.

The advice that I give to a lot of other parents in the facebook group is not to wait. There's no time machine to go back in time. You can't fix it later. If you think you will regret not getting it later on when it's too late, then get it. A lot of parents also say something like: "Well, I think we are not going to go with it because her hair will hide it anyway. You have no idea how your child of whatever sex/gender will choose to wear their hair when they are grown and make their own choices. I know plenty of people from all walks of life with short hair.

The next piece of advice if you go forward: be strict about it. 23 hours a day means 23 hours a day. Sure, there are exceptions. Like picture day. We didn't get professional pictures done in them (although a lot of people do! There's a very cute calendar here: https://www.cranialtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2021-Calendar-digital.pdf ) And during her 1st birthday party she didn't wear it. Other than rare special occasions, it was on. She went to daycare with it on and we never had any issue.

I had a lot of fun decorating her bands. I bought cheap vinyl wrap and learned how to apply it with the hour a day break she had wearing it. I changed it up frequently and for holidays. In the end, the band was just another accessory for my kid. Changing it up helped me cope in a way. Band 1 was finished right before Christmas 2019, and now it lives on a teddy bear.

If you have any questions you don't want to ask here, feel free to PM me. Definitely check out the facebook group, it is very active. It truly is a helpful and supportive group.

Thank you for this incredibly informative and thoughtful post.

We went through and are still kind of going through some of the same feelings of guilt you had. Our boy is a twin and we were told that twins are especially susceptible to plagiocephaly due to decreased space in the womb, but that didn't really help make us feel better at first. We kept thinking that maybe had we held him more or didn't have him in his bouncer quite as much when he was a newborn it would have turned out differently, but our doctor was adamant that it wasn't our fault.

We first noticed it at 4 months and started conservative treatment then. We had a referral at 6 months to the Hanger Clinic but due to COVID it took until now for them to get back to us (at least that was their reasoning). Had we known what we know now we would have been adamant in getting him seen earlier since helmet-therapy is so age-sensitive, but there's nothing we can change now. As I mentioned it has been getting gradually better and it is difficult to see even with short hair, but it's definitely noticeable if you're looking/feeling for the asymmetry. We're fortunate that there is no effect on the front of the face since I know facial asymmetries can happen in more severe cases. That fact that we feel like it has been getting a little better has helped with our guilt, but we still want to make sure we do absolutely everything we can for him.

Thank you again for the response.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

My kids are late with things but I'm really curious if there are any books that can help with boy's potty training. Also, was searching for a book we saw in our virtual learning class today and geezus, a new copy costs upwards of $50. What the heck, yo.

Oh Crap! is decent. She doesn't really back her poo poo up with science per child developmental psychology or anything, but the concepts are solid; it's been working for us. Our 2.5yo just pooped in the potty on his own twice without even needing prompting (and without telling us beforehand) and we did the whole method from front to back described in the book. Just took him a bit of time to stop having like 2-4 poop accidents a day, he started out pretty good with peeing.

So yeah. That's the only one we've read--it was my wife's purchase and I didn't have better ideas. But it's a solid how-to.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
What is the worst book and why is it The Pokey Little Puppy?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wizzardstaff posted:

What is the worst book and why is it The Pokey Little Puppy?

Excuse me may I introduce you to "Love You Forever" featuring breaking and entering and commando crawling by a mother unable to let her adult child sleep in his own house?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shifty Pony posted:

Excuse me may I introduce you to "Love You Forever" featuring breaking and entering and commando crawling by a mother unable to let her adult child sleep in his own house?

I know it's weird as hell but the book still breaks me and I can't read it to my kids without getting choked up.

Speaking of the season 2 finale of Bluey (Baby Races) was so, so good. Man that show nails it!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

priznat posted:

I know it's weird as hell but the book still breaks me and I can't read it to my kids without getting choked up.

Speaking of the season 2 finale of Bluey (Baby Races) was so, so good. Man that show nails it!

That episode had me in pieces. Amazing stuff.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

marchantia posted:

It's hard to explain until you're in it. Congrats! Newborn age can be very difficult but you will make it through! It's all about survival mode for that first month or so. Give yourself and your partner as much grace as possible!

Thanks!

Yeah we're lucky in that we can both take parental leave together for the first three months. (Then I have to go back to work...)

But yeah we've got a good rhythm going where I take the night shift from 9pm - 4am, only waking her for feedings. This got a but rough two nights ago, since our kid's been getting a lot of reflux, mainly during my shift. So last night we got the Tesseract Labyrinth K'tan wrap sorted out, and I just wore him basically all night. I'm pretty sure sleeping vertically helps his reflux, since he's waking up less. He also soothes much quicker when he does. And it makes the night go quicker for me, since I have my hands free. I was doing tai chi with him sleeping on me at one point.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sitting and waiting for updates from my SO about Daniel. He took a fall in preschool and hurt his left elbow, in a lot of pain and it didn't pass, so we're worried he broke something.

He's not happy at all. As if we didn't have enough on our plate with his right hand being in a support after surgery a month ago, now his left arm too... :(

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Oh man, that sucks. He looks so defeated.

It is hard to tell from the picture but it does not look like there is a lot of swelling, so hopefully nothing is actually broken.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Fortunately it doesn't look like anything is broken.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I think my son might finally be done potty training at the ripe old age of 4. He's pooped in the potty the last three poops so I'm pretty hopeful. He's been pee trained for a while but he was super late with that too, I think only one other kid in his preschool class was in diapers with him as well. I'm also not sure what I did, maybe I pushed too hard to poop? He definitely had pooping anxiety, it wasn't a control issue. He'd just hold it until he got his nighttime diaper then poo poo it 5 minutes later. After that, night was just his pooping time and I was ready to 'adjust" it with copious amounts of prune and apple juice plus some miralax but then he held it too long and had to go in the middle of the day.

On the bright side, potty training so late meant he's barely had any accidents but I don't think the hundreds of extra diapers I had to change makes up for it.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

I think my son might finally be done potty training at the ripe old age of 4. He's pooped in the potty the last three poops so I'm pretty hopeful. He's been pee trained for a while but he was super late with that too, I think only one other kid in his preschool class was in diapers with him as well. I'm also not sure what I did, maybe I pushed too hard to poop? He definitely had pooping anxiety, it wasn't a control issue. He'd just hold it until he got his nighttime diaper then poo poo it 5 minutes later. After that, night was just his pooping time and I was ready to 'adjust" it with copious amounts of prune and apple juice plus some miralax but then he held it too long and had to go in the middle of the day.

On the bright side, potty training so late meant he's barely had any accidents but I don't think the hundreds of extra diapers I had to change makes up for it.

I don't know how common it is, but if it makes you feel better my kid was the same way. She was independent with peeing, but would literally go get a diaper, put it on, and poop in it up until she was 4 and we eventually convinced her to go in the potty.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I really hope so. My son is 3.4 and refuses to use the potty or have anything to do with it. I feel like it's never going to happen.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
My experience so far with potty training, is I find it super weird and time consuming....but we started potty training super early with our first two, around 6-8 months, when they started to crawl, just having the potty sitting around and making it normal seeming.
Then we just started sitting them on it at the time(s) of day they normally went for a "massive one", reading a story and making stupid noises, nothing to stress them out, and it just kind of went on from there.
They both (sisters) got half dry/daytime at 1.5 and fully at 2.
Now we are trying it with our 8mo son, and whilst we think it might take longer (at least everyone says boys need more time), it is going pretty much like before.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son is super stoked right now because this time of the morning is coming up on my dinner time, since I work third shift. I really didn't feel like breakfast food for 'dinner' today again, so breakfast for him is mac and cheese, and hot dogs. His mind is blown.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone have resources for teaching babby to spoon-feed himself?

If I hand him a full spoon he can get it to his mouth easy and eat everything on it.

He then gets confused and won't let go of the spoon to do a new scoop out of the bowl....

Also on a related issue the doctor said he needs to eat a full container of prunes (or as much of one as possible) as a single meal to help with his pooping issues and he really loving hates prunes so how can I get him more used to them so he'll stop being so constipated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What about prune juice or prune juice mixed with something else? If none of that works, maybe ask the pediatrician about stool softeners or laxatives.