Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

virinvictus posted:

- Pandemic Legacy Season 0
- Pandemic Legacy Season 2

I would not play season 2 without completing season 1 first.

I don't know if season 0 is OK to play before 1-2. Despite coming chronologically first I assume there are Easter eggs / in jokes that make more sense having finished 1-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Pandemic on the Brink is not compatible with the Legacy versions FYI

I have the original board, as well. Bought the Legacy just for variation.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I would not play season 2 without completing season 1 first.

I don't know if season 0 is OK to play before 1-2. Despite coming chronologically first I assume there are Easter eggs / in jokes that make more sense having finished 1-2.

Store I bought had the those two. I’m still looking for 1.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

Just getting into board games. Me and my partner live in Arctic Canada (Nunavik region of Quebec) and so we’ve begun playing board games to pass the time due to a 100GB bandwidth cap. Thankfully, I found a board game place that delivers to the North for free after $150. We really like Pandemic and Catan, so I’ve purchased:

- Pandemic: On The Brink expansion
- Gloomhaven

Don’t know if these will jive well for us, but are there any suggestions for some fun two to three player games (only know one person on this reserve who also plays and occasionally joins our pandemic sessions)?

We work full days and generally only have an hour or two for gaming time before bed. Partner is not really into science fiction, more fantastical less space.

If that changes any recommendations.

Are you looking for fantasy game recommendations, or just tolerate them? Also, do you have any other interests that might hook you into a game theme? E.g., ancient Rome, games about race cars, 2D fighters, wine making.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

virinvictus posted:

Store I bought had the those two. I’m still looking for 1.

cheers, you're in for a treat. I had a blast with both seasons 1-2 and season 0's Cold War theme is extremely my thing

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are you looking for fantasy game recommendations, or just tolerate them? Also, do you have any other interests that might hook you into a game theme? E.g., ancient Rome, games about race cars, 2D fighters, wine making.

The only thing that’s off the tables for her is space games that are ship combat heavy. So there’s no preferences in many ways. Rome is definitely interesting, same as wine making.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

virinvictus posted:

The only thing that’s off the tables for her is space games that are ship combat heavy. So there’s no preferences in many ways. Rome is definitely interesting, same as wine making.

Now that you say that, the only good Rome themed non-war game i can think of is Concordia.

I think Viticulture Essentials is about as good as any other worker placement game; it is themed on winemaking.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PerniciousKnid posted:

Now that you say that, the only good Rome themed non-war game i can think of is Concordia.

Republic of Rome is a classic, though, good... well..

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
glory to rome is a bit of an iconic game isn't it?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Panzeh posted:

Republic of Rome is a classic, though, good... well..

Sure if they want to play one game for two days straight (did that got the t-shirt :) )

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Also, fittingly, Pandemic: Fall of Rome is probably the best Pandemic variant aside from the legacy games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impermanent posted:

glory to rome is a bit of an iconic game isn't it?

GtR is was more iconic when

a) it was impossible to find
b) the reprint was one of the early KS drama bombs
c) CC hadn't remade it at least once (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128063/uchronia)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

Trajan, Ave Roma, and Praetor are all solid Rome-themed games. The first two do have elements of war, but in both cases it's fully abstracted and doesn't involve direct player conflict.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
No mention of Tribune among Rome-themed games? Shame.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

SUSD just put out a review of Eclipse, so I did what was necessary:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Read Dan’s Babylonia review. I’ve been wrestling with the topic of the nature of euros and their predictable infrastructure/VP arcs. This is a topic I’ve wrestled with for a while and will continue to do so as I search for compelling designs that try to reach the heights of Go.

I think I figured out what makes Y&Y and Babylonia contemporary affairs while T&E belonged to a different school of euro thought. The new games have that milquetoast quality where there are many small conflicts and a continuous income of points while T&E had a slow burn with destructive spikes of VP accumulation. I think my preferences for this contemporary style of game is expressed in subtle timing actions like GP, but it’s a tightrope to walk until it becomes a point salad local maxima accumulation without 2nd order effects.

Course, I’m sure there have been very many milquetoast euros made in the 90s and early 00s that we’ve forgotten by now. Maybe we only remember the interactive ones. But there seems to be an overall design focus on fine tuning the feel good points salad with worker placements with a twist or just another soulless euro. Good designs still come out. TGZ, FCM, Vanuatu, the upcoming splotter game, all recent interactive euros with a high degree of punishment, aggression, and interaction. Heck, Tom’s fields of the cloth of gold sounds like it belongs here but I haven’t tried it yet. Even blending it with newer sensibilities of VPs like what TGZ does with the VP-infrastructure arc.

I suppose in the end it really doesn’t matter, this is navel gazing and I already have plenty of games, but it is a bit of a shame to think the overall design ethos wants to sell the ability to do anything you want on your turn instead of a phone booth with a knife kit. You might argue this would just be JASE except replace soulless with mean/interactive, but those are the designs that are compelling and stick in your mind days afterwards thinking of a better move.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 19, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I've found the game that Isle of Skye wishes it was, and it's Glen More. Me likey.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Also, fittingly, Pandemic: Fall of Rome is probably the best Pandemic variant aside from the legacy games.

I haven't played Fall of Rome, but Pandemic Iberia is very good. Though, to be fair, it is not that much different from the original in that it's still about disease. However, the lack of airplanes and the train tracks are very, very cool.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Anyone else pumped about the Wingspan Oceania expansion? I pre-ordered mine and it ships Dec 22!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

fawning deference posted:

Anyone else pumped about the Wingspan Oceania expansion? I pre-ordered mine and it ships Dec 22!

I’m pumped up because it buys more plays with MY WIFE.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

djfooboo posted:

I’m pumped up because it buys more plays with MY WIFE.

The changes also seem really cool...

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Memnaelar posted:

No mention of Tribune among Rome-themed games? Shame.

See, the thing about Tribune is that it’s a fun game that has [i]something[/ i] fundamentally wrong with it, and I can’t seem to figure out what that is.

It’s NOT the leaders, except maybe the Vestal Virgins leader. It’s NOT the weirdness that is faction control, except maybe the Vestal Virgins. It’s not the convoluted steps needed to get the Tribune victory condition, although the Vestal Virgins help with that...

Ok, l might have found the problem.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Based on the recommendations, I went with Biblios and Stick 'Em. They'll arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some time to get a few games in of each to learn the rules.

Any sort of heavy bluffing or traitor mechanic doesn't mix well with my group, and those two seemed to most fit the type of game I was looking for. Thanks everyone!

Zorro KingOfEngland fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 19, 2020

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the opinion on Res Arcana w/ Lux Tenebre expansion? I remember one poster having extremely good things to say about the expansion. I'm thinking about trading Underwater Cities for both as a package deal.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

The expansion is basically just more Res Arcana, but the expansion rulebook suggests adjusting the amount of Places of Power and Monuments, which leads to a tighter 2p game with more starting variation/replayability. I think it's been said in the thread before, but definitely draft after your first game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Megasabin posted:

What's the opinion on Res Arcana w/ Lux Tenebre expansion? I remember one poster having extremely good things to say about the expansion. I'm thinking about trading Underwater Cities for both as a package deal.

Really like it so far. Expansion feels good and yeah, it is just more of the base game with the possibility to make the game tighter at lower player counts.

At 2 I would recommend the "Play best of 3 with a new draft inbetween the rounds using the same cards". First you do the normal draft and after the first round you place all the cards on the table and draft again, taking 2 cards at once until all are gone. Really enjoyed that variant.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is the game as a whole worth owning? I've never played the original, so I'd be just be trading for original + expansion as one entity. It sort of seems like a game in the same family as Splendor, Spice Road, It's a Wonderful World. Is that correct? Is it that best of that bunch?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It has a lot more depth than any of those but is about the same weight rules wise (well, not Splendor of course). Tom Lehman is like Knizia in that he can do a lot with a simple system.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Is the game as a whole worth owning? I've never played the original, so I'd be just be trading for original + expansion as one entity. It sort of seems like a game in the same family as Splendor, Spice Road, It's a Wonderful World. Is that correct? Is it that best of that bunch?

I very much like Res Arcana, though I haven't played the expansion.

It is supposed to be an extremely quick game, I think with experienced players it shouldn't go beyond 5-6 rounds.

I've played all the ones you listed and I consider Res Arcana to be the best of them.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

ketchup vs catsup posted:

It is supposed to be an extremely quick game, I think with experienced players it shouldn't go beyond 5-6 rounds.

I think all together my last best of three took 14 rounds or so in total.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
It is a pretty unapologetic engine building game where you turn actions and resources into other resources and buy cards/points. It's strength is that it does not obsfucate your goal with additional mechanics or chrome. That allows you get get into the game, build an engine, and finish a game quickly.

I have not played with the draft, but I definitely see the merit in wanting some control over your deck after a few games. For reference, each player get 8 cards at the beginning of the game. Those are the only cards you will see in the entire game to build your engine and compete for public win conditions. Those win conditions may also have helpful effects, but you should consider them auxiliary rather than depending on them for running your engine. The beginning game will hold 3 cards static to make sure they synergize with the player powers, and then 5 cards are dealt at random. So it can be frustrating if you don't have a good synergy in your deck and someone else does.

It and Manhattan Project Energy Empire are my favorite engine building games. Res Arcana is quick, simple, and has great production values. I don't know what your tastes or collection need, but I would suggest it if you are at all interested in it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Alright, I pulled the trigger and traded Underwater Cities for Res Arcana + The Expansion both new in shrink. I can always use more good short games and I doubt Underwater Cities was ever going to get opened. I have enough middle weight euros and I was just not excited about playing it at all.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Another thing that the Res Arcana expansion does is make the game play well with four players. It also adds a fifth player, but I haven't tried it with that many.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I need recommendations for an entry point into the "of the West Kingdom" games. Viscount? Paladins? Architects? Numismatists? I'm primarily a solo player, but I can occasionally convince MY WIFE to play some games if I'm enthusiastic enough about them. Thanks in advance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Agricola or Keyflower

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Agricola or Keyflower

Agricola if you want the quiet divorce, Keyflower if you want to be knifed as you sleep.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

Just getting into board games. Me and my partner live in Arctic Canada (Nunavik region of Quebec) and so we’ve begun playing board games to pass the time due to a 100GB bandwidth cap. Thankfully, I found a board game place that delivers to the North for free after $150. We really like Pandemic and Catan, so I’ve purchased:

- Pandemic: On The Brink expansion
- Gloomhaven

Don’t know if these will jive well for us, but are there any suggestions for some fun two to three player games (only know one person on this reserve who also plays and occasionally joins our pandemic sessions)?

We work full days and generally only have an hour or two for gaming time before bed. Partner is not really into science fiction, more fantastical less space.

If that changes any recommendations.

I had a hard time thinking of games that work well with 2 players but also with 3 players. Maybe give Istanbul a try - that plays in under an hour. For just 2 players I think my favourite is 7 Wonders Duel.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

Just getting into board games...

Istanbul is a good suggestion. Carcassonne also works well at 2 and 3 players. Arboretum as well.

Edit: There are also a million good 2-player card games. Fox in the Forest, Schotten Totten (aka Battle Line), Jaipur, Lost Cities ...

prokaryote fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 21, 2020

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
The decoy cat bed was unsuccessful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Post Your Board Cats