Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Awhile back I was supposed to learn this gojira cover to perform, and I could never really get down the bass part at 40 seconds. It sounds real easy but the timing is weird and even with practice I could never get closer than almost right. Of course they said they wanted to do it like a week before a gig so I only had limited time to try to learn it. Rest of the song is pretty easy. Eventually just did 2 down covers instead cause I just couldn't nail it. I think I need to practice with weird times more and/or something that is capable of doing a different beat than just 4/4. They also wanted me to learn the gojira song remembrance which if you've ever heard the end of that song, LOL. I just said no on that one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=757SiXkPlH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I can always just try it out later, but does anyone use an amp sim pedal into their audio interface? I have a scarlet solo. I bought it for recording, although I haven't recorded anything yet. I also have a zoom multi-effects pedal that includes amp simulation. I was thinking I could run the pedal into the interface and that way with direct monitoriing I'm not getting a completely dry signal. Right now I'm just using the interface for practice, and it's fine, but you know it's always fun to play with your sound. I could also use amplitube and have it processed by the computer, but there's significant latency that way when playing along with other audio.

I'll try it out later unless there's some specific computer music reason that doesn't work that I'm not thinking of.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I don't see why it would be an issue, should work absolutely fine.

You should also be able to configure your ASIO settings and DAW settings to minimize plugin latency - I think I have around 7ms of latency when using Helix Native through Reaper with a Roland interface, which is very usable. I can go a bit lower but it sometimes crackles if I push below 5-ish.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

bees everywhere posted:

Does anyone ever alternate between picking and slapping in the middle of a song? There's a part in one of my band's songs that I've had some trouble getting just right and I'm starting to realize it might sound better to slap for a few beats before going back to picking. But then I've got about 1/8th beat to switch back and forth, which is doable but will take a lot of practice to get the muscle memory down, maybe it would be a waste of time? I don't know.

edit for pick chat: Funny thing for me is I played ukulele for 10+ years and rarely used a pick, but when it comes to guitar & bass I'm kinda hopeless without one, my timing turns to poo poo and it sounds too gentle for most songs. I like .71mm- for guitar and 1.20mm for bass.

The video has since disappeared but Jauqo III-X has a slap technique where he holds a pick between his middle and ring fingers while slapping and uses it to sound notes. Kind of a slap&pop&pick.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

I can always just try it out later, but does anyone use an amp sim pedal into their audio interface? I have a scarlet solo. I bought it for recording, although I haven't recorded anything yet. I also have a zoom multi-effects pedal that includes amp simulation. I was thinking I could run the pedal into the interface and that way with direct monitoriing I'm not getting a completely dry signal. Right now I'm just using the interface for practice, and it's fine, but you know it's always fun to play with your sound. I could also use amplitube and have it processed by the computer, but there's significant latency that way when playing along with other audio.

I'll try it out later unless there's some specific computer music reason that doesn't work that I'm not thinking of.

I usually do this, and it's especially good for practicing because if you're going to play with distortion then you'll want to practice the same way, especially if your muting technique isn't 110% solid. Even 7-10ms latency throws me off so I prefer it that way, although like you said there is a tradeoff in that you don't get to play around with the clean signal.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bees everywhere posted:

I usually do this, and it's especially good for practicing because if you're going to play with distortion then you'll want to practice the same way, especially if your muting technique isn't 110% solid. Even 7-10ms latency throws me off so I prefer it that way, although like you said there is a tradeoff in that you don't get to play around with the clean signal.

Awesome, thanks. Good to know this works. I think if I were recording something, I'd probably just do a clean signal and apply effects after the fact so I could tweak the sound more easily. I think amplitube probably sounds better and has more customization than the cheapest zoom pedal. But the latency involved really doesn't work when I'm trying to play with a practice tracks.

I'm not even going to use too much distortion, this is still just, playing along with examples on StudyBass or maybe the practice songs recommended. Seems like 60% of those are Beatles tunes anyways so I don't need heavy fuzz. It's just the 100% dry focusrite signal is very bland.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

After some extensive testing, my old favorite 0.88 green tortex picks sound the best for punk/metal stuff. I have no idea why but that's the sweet spot. I've tried 2mm tortex, 1.5mm gator grips, 1.0mm ultex, 1.14 tortex jazz iiis, the red jazz iiis, and a few others. Still the 0.88 just feel and sound the best.

agreed, .88 just feels good

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm down a rabbit hole of Squier P vs Jazz. Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much as all I'm doing is noodling. I like the idea of a little thinner neck at the nut on the Jazz, but I really like that seafoam green / maple neck / block inlay of the P. I'll never mess with pickup or tone settings. I don't have baby hands, but not huge hands either. I keep kicking myself for missing that Guitar Center sale a month or so ago...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

See if you can find a jazz bass special. It's a p-body with a jazz neck and a p/j pick up set.

Downside they usually only come in white or black, but spray paints cheap.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pick thickness is the darndest thing. I've rarely gone beyond 1mm in all my time, and I've only recently ditched Dunlop nylon for Dunlop tortex 1mm. I'm thinking of trying out that Clayton acetal to see if if a thicker but different material is any different. Ultimately it has to have some edge but still feel a bit flexi for me, too hard causes me pain in my thumb knuckle and muscle so some flex cushions for repeated downstrokes. I do a fair bit of up/down stroking as well, it varies with genre and style.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ACAB but I want to learn me some Police. Are the Hal Leonard bass play-along books legit? I'm sure I could just find the same tabs on the innernets for free but I'm fine doling out twenty-odd bucks on a song book I can throw up on the shelf to look nice.

Specifically thinking of this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Police-Bass-Play-Along-20/dp/1423446526

Pretty sure I won't be able to play most of these on day one but it would be fun to have some aspirational songs.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ewe2 posted:

Pick thickness is the darndest thing. I've rarely gone beyond 1mm in all my time, and I've only recently ditched Dunlop nylon for Dunlop tortex 1mm. I'm thinking of trying out that Clayton acetal to see if if a thicker but different material is any different. Ultimately it has to have some edge but still feel a bit flexi for me, too hard causes me pain in my thumb knuckle and muscle so some flex cushions for repeated downstrokes. I do a fai,r bit of up/down stroking as well, it varies with genre and style.

Have a look at Wedgie rubber picks. I have a 5mm hard one (ehhehheh) that sounds like playing with your thumb (not slap) but with a sharper attack.

They make softer ones, which I presume would have more give, but possibly a warmer sound.

You can get packs on eBay with a range of stiffnesses, they're not cheap, but not super expensive and pretty durable.

Edit: here's a demo, not best quality but only bass one I saw:

https://youtu.be/bQNzTRFOWO4

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 18, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

zoom pedal in front of interface worked. Now I just have to go down the rabbit hole of tweaking the presets until I like how they sound. Some of them are pretty gimmicky. But, yeah, having some kind of tone is nice even if the tone itself is mediocre.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You mean like the "Explosion" preset whose only possible purpose is to make you frantically kick at your effects pedal until it stops making noise?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Which zoom is it? I've heard the Darkglass preamp emulator is pretty close to the actual thing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Which zoom is it? I've heard the Darkglass preamp emulator is pretty close to the actual thing.

Multistomp MS-60B. Literally the cheapest one lol.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd be surprised if they didn't all use the same DSP and algorithms.

I was on YouTube researching the Zooms before I bought my B3n and there was some video about an unlocker where you could load any pedals' effects on any other pedal. Not sure if that also worked to unlock the guitar DSP effects on bass pedals but I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG3KO1EbFd4

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 18, 2020

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Martytoof posted:

ACAB but I want to learn me some Police. Are the Hal Leonard bass play-along books legit? I'm sure I could just find the same tabs on the innernets for free but I'm fine doling out twenty-odd bucks on a song book I can throw up on the shelf to look nice.

Specifically thinking of this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Police-Bass-Play-Along-20/dp/1423446526

Pretty sure I won't be able to play most of these on day one but it would be fun to have some aspirational songs.

Actually, as someone who used to be in a Police cover band, I think a lot of those bass parts are good for a beginner to learn by ear. Melodic but not too complex.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well seeing as how I just did most of Walking on the Moon by ear I will probably agree. I did cheat and peek at a tab for some of the chorus because I'm still babby

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bees everywhere posted:

Does anyone ever alternate between picking and slapping in the middle of a song? There's a part in one of my band's songs that I've had some trouble getting just right and I'm starting to realize it might sound better to slap for a few beats before going back to picking. But then I've got about 1/8th beat to switch back and forth, which is doable but will take a lot of practice to get the muscle memory down, maybe it would be a waste of time? I don't know.

I posted about it before but i got myself a thumb pick that i play on my forefinger, which leaves my thumb free. I could slap if i wanted to, but I rarely do.

Yeah I agree esp for new players play with pick or no pick, just play.

But I was watching a friend of mine who is a guitarist play bass with his band a few months into playin the instrument and I was wincing because he was trying to play funk bass lines in a very guitarish way with his pick.

At a certain point you have to get comfortable playing with your fingers and a real thump, esp when playing funk or anything like that. It just doesnt sound right unless you've really mastered your pick enough to mimic that sound convincingly.

And you just have to build up those muscles in your playing hand too that only comes from playing fingerstyle. Its not about just playing that style, but I think if you wanna get serious its good to learn both styles.

I started out as an exclusively fingerstyle player, and only recently gotten into the awesomeness of pick playing. And there's certain stuff that only pick playing can do too.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Well seeing as how I just did most of Walking on the Moon by ear I will probably agree. I did cheat and peek at a tab for some of the chorus because I'm still babby

Cover Solutions is my favorite youtuber for song covers. No-nonsense, no HEY YOUTUBE intro. He has Roxanne up which is a good beginner tune

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If it has Gowron’s seal of approval I have no choice but to subscribe! I love how accessible learning is now compared to when I tried to pick up guitar fifteen or so years ago.

(I bought the book anyway because I’m impulsive but also love having physical tokens I can look at to remember my learning journey)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I posted about it before but i got myself a thumb pick that i play on my forefinger, which leaves my thumb free. I could slap if i wanted to, but I rarely do.

Yeah I agree esp for new players play with pick or no pick, just play.

But I was watching a friend of mine who is a guitarist play bass with his band a few months into playin the instrument and I was wincing because he was trying to play funk bass lines in a very guitarish way with his pick.

At a certain point you have to get comfortable playing with your fingers and a real thump, esp when playing funk or anything like that. It just doesnt sound right unless you've really mastered your pick enough to mimic that sound convincingly.

And you just have to build up those muscles in your playing hand too that only comes from playing fingerstyle. Its not about just playing that style, but I think if you wanna get serious its good to learn both styles.

I started out as an exclusively fingerstyle player, and only recently gotten into the awesomeness of pick playing. And there's certain stuff that only pick playing can do too.

Of course, there's always Bobby Vega:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPzwuiJCSbs

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Cover Solutions is my favorite youtuber for song covers. No-nonsense, no HEY YOUTUBE intro. He has Roxanne up which is a good beginner tune

Who are some other good bass YouTubers? It seems like there are dozen of guitar ones (Paul Davids seems pretty cool, for example) but not so much for bass.

I already know Scott's Bass Lessons, but I'm really tired of his video style. A little too much click bait.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

This looks like a better collection of songs: https://www.amazon.com/Police-Bass-...05672333&sr=8-2

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/the-best-of-police-bass-sheet-music/2959075

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

2nd for cover solutions. Excellent transcriptions and a huge library.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Solumin posted:

Who are some other good bass YouTubers? It seems like there are dozen of guitar ones (Paul Davids seems pretty cool, for example) but not so much for bass.

I already know Scott's Bass Lessons, but I'm really tired of his video style. A little too much click bait.

There's the Talking Bass dude, who's not too bad, if a bit long winded. Prob different kind of clicky though.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I made a patch that's just noise gate, compressor, and mark bass amp sim, all at default values. It works perfectly fine for practice. I'm not even sure why I have the noise gate and compressor except I think I read somewhere those are good to have.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Speaking of youtube Bass content, I have to admit I like Davie504. It's very "reddit like" humor that also tends to have a lot of bass content. Anyways some of his stuff is fun.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

whats up SLAPPERS

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hellblazer187 posted:

I made a patch that's just noise gate, compressor, and mark bass amp sim, all at default values. It works perfectly fine for practice. I'm not even sure why I have the noise gate and compressor except I think I read somewhere those are good to have.

eh, noise gates on bass aren't all that necessary unless you're using one single coil (IE you messed with the knobs on a j bass). It can mess with some transients and sustain but for practice it's not all that bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Making a mental note to throw a noise gate into my chain to see if it gets my J to shut the heeeeck up if I'm not perfectly symmetrical.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Martytoof posted:

Making a mental note to throw a noise gate into my chain to see if it gets my J to shut the heeeeck up if I'm not perfectly symmetrical.

Yup, it totally will. I usually keep my J bass knobs all at 10, but sometimes dialing down the bridge pickup just a little bit can get this really wide tone that sounds like you're hitting a beach ball rather than a dodgeball.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've appreciated Jim Stinnett's "Real Bass Lessons" on YT. He's a Berklee guy who makes videos that feel a lot like sitting in a room with an old-school teacher, because that's what he is.

No tabs, usually, either. He expects you to play by ear along with him and to know some stuff coming in. Here's " improv walking bass over D minor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTne59KDYc

Or jamming in E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORbW2azh96w

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Watching guitarists pick up a bass and play it like a large guitar is, as the young people say, very cringe. But it also taught me how much the bass is it's own thing (and guitar vice versa). There's so much more difference in how you play than just the longer neck and thicker strings would make you think.

Of course, some bass players are essentially just playing a large guitar with great success, and that's cool too.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Huxley posted:

I've appreciated Jim Stinnett's "Real Bass Lessons" on YT. He's a Berklee guy who makes videos that feel a lot like sitting in a room with an old-school teacher, because that's what he is.

No tabs, usually, either. He expects you to play by ear along with him and to know some stuff coming in. Here's " improv walking bass over D minor"

Or jamming in E.

Looks like good stuff for if/when I'm ever upper intermediate level. Subscribed for future reference.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Huxley posted:

Or jamming in E.

This is incredibly cool, thanks!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol thats why I knew to put the "unless you're really good" subclause because theres so many good players out there and Im just some rear end in a top hat who's been playing for a few years.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I figured that's what you meant, I just like his technique.

In other news, I'm enjoying this guy's enthusiasm for stoner metal riffs:

https://youtu.be/jtW1j6RT1ag

He's super dorky, but just so keen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

I figured that's what you meant, I just like his technique.

In other news, I'm enjoying this guy's enthusiasm for stoner metal riffs:

https://youtu.be/jtW1j6RT1ag

He's super dorky, but just so keen!

This owns