Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1328751358950989824?s=19

That is utterly dumb to 1. Call it 1st Fleet when I always assumed that was waiting for USCG to get chopped from DHS 2. More staff positions that do nothing (as a former all career staff guy it makes no sense) 3. Where's it gonna be out of, PI? Singapore?

The story I always heard about there not being a 1st FLT was that it was supposed to be reserved to refer to the revolutionary fleet. :psyduck:

This is beyond dumb. It isn't as if regular rotations into 5thFLT are going to stop, and the only reason to station a fleet in India is to maintain eyes on the burgeoning Chinese forces operating out of Djibouti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
1st Fleet was basically the Cold War's version of today's 3rd Fleet.

I suspect the idea here is to work more with India, and improve regional deterrence against China. I don't think this is necessary to do that though, just like how Space Force is completely unnecessary to do what a revived USSPACECOM could've done easily and with far less bloat. But that's probably the reason for both.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

In more important kinda-navy news we got oxtail for dinner tonight.

Also one of our sister ships came down with a bunch of covid. Yuck.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

In more important kinda-navy news we got oxtail for dinner tonight.

Also one of our sister ships came down with a bunch of covid. Yuck.

I know how good oxtail can be and I am suspect a CS or CIVMAR CS could do it justice. Bummer about plague ship

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

It's been my experience that the quality of the food on a ship is inversely proportional to the tonnage of said ship.

Best food I ever ate on a Navy vessel was inside a landing craft with a 9 person crew. Worst food is consistently on big decks(for the enlisted anyways). Officers have it pretty good across all the platforms I've sailed on so far.

I've never done submarines though so I can't speak to that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I know how good oxtail can be and I am suspect a CS or CIVMAR CS could do it justice. Bummer about plague ship

Our civmar CS is a Filipino food wizard and one of our reservist CS2 is a sous chef at an upscale place.

Our food is so much better than it has any right to be.

Also a picture of a bowl of oxtails isn’t worth posting. It’s not very photogenic.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Lots of brown I'm assuming. I've only been able to find oxtail ashore once. It needs to be more popular

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lou Takki posted:

It's been my experience that the quality of the food on a ship is inversely proportional to the tonnage of said ship.

Best food I ever ate on a Navy vessel was inside a landing craft with a 9 person crew. Worst food is consistently on big decks(for the enlisted anyways). Officers have it pretty good across all the platforms I've sailed on so far.

On smallboys the officers eat the exact same thing that enlisted people do. They walk food up from the galley to the wardroom galley. The CSes up there will sometimes plate things a bit different, but it's the same food.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Sounds like the Mess has been eating your chow

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Goodpancakes posted:

Sounds like the Mess has been eating your chow

A CMC did keep around $100 I won in a poker game in the mess because he rotated off and I never got to chip to chip my money back. When he was doing his handshakes and poo poo for departure, he leaned into me and whispered "I still got your money" and then kept on truckin.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

A CMC did keep around $100 I won in a poker game in the mess because he rotated off and I never got to chip to chip my money back. When he was doing his handshakes and poo poo for departure, he leaned into me and whispered "I still got your money" and then kept on truckin.

Thanks for supporting single mothers in Guam!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Big dick energy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Godholio posted:

Big dick energy.

on the ACTUAL paychart only Chiefs have access to they're actually above JOs so this tracks

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Welp. I made it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

Congrats, chief.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Lou Takki posted:

We got sent food rejected by the department of corrections. Literally. I mean, the surface ships probably did as well, but since food loads on a sub are all hands, we got to see the stamps on the boxes coming down.

The potential for the food to be decent is there. Unless you have lovely leadership in CS div and CS div as a whole doesn't care. We once had a meal with zero flavor. There was mac and cheese in that meal. No flavor. Just texture. I honestly have no idea how he managed it, and in retrospect, I'm actually impressed. But it was also the only time a significant portion of the crew didn't bother finishing what was on their plate. Because bad flavor is better than no flavor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you don't correct us everytime we say that to "chief select" I'll report you to your treefort.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

Congratulations!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

Congratulations, Chief!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Where's Chief Dustynuts at?

Laranzu needs to make a shadowbox that McNally can give him as a gangtag.

Will you be selling breakfast burritos or pizza on the pier?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

No car washes ?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

They are laying out their big plans for the modified reindeer games on Friday.

I'm fully expecting to opt out for pandemic reasons as soon as the extent of dumb is clear.

I wasn't even going to do it in a normal year.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Based on that statement I have 100% confidence you will be a fantastic CPO

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Remember, the correct plural is "chiefs select," it's like "postmasters general" or "courts-martial" or "cheesy gorditas crunch."

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5qi3IooOVI

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

I'm fully expecting to opt out for pandemic reasons as soon as the extent of dumb is clear.

More of this.

Congrats!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Laranzu posted:

Nahhhh, do it!

Congrats dude. I made it last year. PM me with questions if you have any.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

From the XO/CO perspective there has been absolutely zero guidance from MCPON or the "leadership mess" on how to run the season during the pandemic. Luckily in our case the CO, CMC, and I are on the exact same page and so this season is going to be extremely low key. It's just extremely disappointing. This MCPON sucks.

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling that the usual suspects of shitheads in the fleet are going to grumble about "not real chiefs" while dipping into their goat skull mugs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'm going to pitch that anyone selected who made it through 2020 without a full on breakdown has already been tried, tested, and found able.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We're taking precautions and cut a lot of things out this year. I'm at a large command though, we have lots of open space to conduct events. I am still expecting it all to get turned off by the CNO in roughly 2-3 weeks once a group of selects comes up positive for the virus. At the minimum there will be positives that come up that'll cause a bunch of people to ROM and miss pinning, etc.

I was in the camp of people that wanted all of this year's selects to participate in the FY-22 season.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

Congrats!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

On smallboys the officers eat the exact same thing that enlisted people do. They walk food up from the galley to the wardroom galley. The CSes up there will sometimes plate things a bit different, but it's the same food.

The food is always the same on big ships too but in the wardroom the officers get to serve themselves as much of whatever they want every meal which is a pretty nice perk. I have never been onboard a minesweep though, hopefully I get to poke around in one some day. How big is the WR on those things?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

Congrats, I thought my season of only 3 weeks was the dumbest. Best of luck and good luck at the meet and greet (if they do that)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Lou Takki posted:

I have never been onboard a minesweep though, hopefully I get to poke around in one some day. How big is the WR on those things?

Small as hell. Even smaller than the fast attack wardrooms I've been in.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was a cook in the National Guard in a Midwestern state. The leadership were all old grumpy rear end Germans that would sit on the board that drafted the meal sheets. Meat and potatoes every time. We caused a ruckus when we pushed through an alternative meal to serve the absolutely most Midwestern tacos you could imagine. I've never had so many comments on a meal service

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lou Takki posted:

The food is always the same on big ships too but in the wardroom the officers get to serve themselves as much of whatever they want every meal which is a pretty nice perk. I have never been onboard a minesweep though, hopefully I get to poke around in one some day. How big is the WR on those things?

My current OIC was a commanding officer on a minesweeper during his active duty days. Had some hilarious stories of the sailors keeping it real.

Time to get in line for the omelet station. Bye!

Fresh baked pastry and pork tocino!

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 19, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

My current OIC was a commanding officer on a minesweeper during his active duty days. Had some hilarious stories of the sailors keeping it real.

Time to get in line for the omelet station. Bye!

Fresh baked pastry and pork tocino!

jelly as hell right now

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Welp. I made it.

Hell yeah! Congratulations!

Guess I’ll out myself as picking up as SELRES this cycle. We’ve been waiting on AD results to come out to pretty much determine what happens next.

I wouldn’t have been upset if we pushed it to the summer especially on the reserve side where in person drills HAVEN’T HAD ROM REQUIREMENTS or even the need to show up with a negative test. When you have a unit with members in basically every major eastern city, that’s just asking for a super spreader event at worst and a front page navy times article at best. Cool cool cool