Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
OMG I CAN'T EVEN.

I CANNOT EVEN.

I AM UNABLE TO CAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

T-man posted:

imagine caring about cops lol

prisons are full of people who didn't care enough about the cops to evade them

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just got to the part in Back to the Future where Marty wipes out all life in the universe on accident. I'm shaking and crying.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i think they get the point but :moments:

(sad to see the "let's run this poo poo into the ground" emote is gone)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The best part is during the scene, Deep heard nothing but "oh god.. my fins... what's going on. DEEP?! I CAN'T SEE YOU. HELP ME. OH GOD HELP ME"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Deep basically killed the whale as soon as he beached it. Who was going to push it back into the water? Homelander?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Maeve is also super-strong, but what about the logistics of a human trying to shove a whale into water? If a super-strong person like Homelander or Maeve tried it, wouldn't their hands just pierce the skin anyway, and the whale is screwed regardless? It seems like there'd be a gross scene either way.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You could possibly rig up some sort of harness to pull it back in safely bit we all know ain’t no supe going through that much effort for literally anything.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the deep is a few pisces short of a fishstick

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rappaport posted:

Maeve is also super-strong, but what about the logistics of a human trying to shove a whale into water? If a super-strong person like Homelander or Maeve tried it, wouldn't their hands just pierce the skin anyway, and the whale is screwed regardless? It seems like there'd be a gross scene either way.

https://i.imgur.com/5wEGQ.mp4

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, but in a The Boys setting, that'd just be Maeve pulling the tail off of the whale, and having to drink afterwards.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Actually it wasn't funny at all because even though the whale was fake it was still supposed to be an animal suffering in agony before death and I actually missed most of the scene because all I could think about is "someone please put the suffering animal out of its misery holy poo poo this is hosed up".

Lmfao

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

my face when seeing a whale get hurt

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys are stupid, The Deep could just summon a bunch of crabs to pick the whale up and bring it back to the water. Seriously he is wasted on you clowns.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I know deep is just meant to be talking to the fish but he definitely seems to impart some degree of control and/or enhanced sentience to them. I don't think he could talk a whale into beached suicide when the whale has no stake in the conflict

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think he has “Mahti from Capt. planet” powers where it’s not mind control per se’, he can just force animals to love him, which would cause them to do all kinds of dangerous or suicidal things a simple mind control couldn’t

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

I know deep is just meant to be talking to the fish but he definitely seems to impart some degree of control and/or enhanced sentience to them. I don't think he could talk a whale into beached suicide when the whale has no stake in the conflict

Whales, like all fish, are incredibly dumb. It's easy to talk dumb things into doing dumb things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would simply yeet the whale back into the ocean

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I liked someones take from earlier in the thread that the deeps power isnt actually talking to fish, its giving them sentience to begin with. So they're all exactly as dumb as him.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoIdZ1osBc&t=24s

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

massive spider posted:

I liked someones take from earlier in the thread that the deeps power isnt actually talking to fish, its giving them sentience to begin with. So they're all exactly as dumb as him.

Trying to force sapience into the brain of a fish, even a fish as big as a whale, is like trying to get a gallon of ricotta cheese into a quart bag, it's just gonna go badly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Trying to force sapience into the brain of a fish, even a fish as big as a whale, is like trying to get a gallon of ricotta cheese into a quart bag, it's just gonna go badly.

Again, it's the Deep

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even if he gives them sentience to human levels, it's still his level and he's pretty much a moron.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
y'all i just realized something.

The Deep is really shallow!!!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh? No, he's The Deep.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Even if he gives them sentience to human levels, it's still his level and he's pretty much a moron.
I like to think it's some kind of "oh I get your vibe" thing going on but it's a two-way street and he taints them with his bro-ness.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe it was the other way around? Dolphins are absolute bros, after all.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Male Dolphins and Orcas absolutely are. Don'y know much about the females though, they are usually hiding from the rape-pods.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

massive spider posted:

This is my favorite interpretation too when taken a step further where the sea creatures don't actually get any increased mental capacity; It's all just happening inside the Deep's head and he's exerting some kind of subconscious mental control that makes them behave according to how he imagines they'd act.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like Show Deep, but I kind of miss Comic Deep, who was intentionally an extreme noncharacter beyond "is black, aquaman".

No dark blackmail secret, he just complains about not being paid enough.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Part of me wants to see origin stories for everyone but owe basically have a picture of that from Starlight and how it likely applied to everyone but Homelander.

After being injected with compound v as a kid, he started hearing all water animals wherever he went. Probably grew up in Florida focusing entirely on being a superhero and literally loving dolphins.

How can he not be a moron?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

massive spider posted:

Slashrat posted:

This is my favorite interpretation too when taken a step further where the sea creatures don't actually get any increased mental capacity; It's all just happening inside the Deep's head and he's exerting some kind of subconscious mental control that makes them behave according to how he imagines they'd act.

This is exactly how I think his power works and it's great writing. There's no way that whale would have beached itself to try to stop the Boys' boat. It was just doing what The Deep envisioned would look cool and heroic.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

T-man posted:

comics, by their standards every human alive today is an A cup.

...I don't think you know how bras work, unless that's a typo :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Collateral posted:

Male Dolphins and Orcas absolutely are. Don'y know much about the females though, they are usually hiding from the rape-pods.

One of my favorite animal moments caught on film is when some scientists found a small pod of 3 adolescent male dolphins and a puffer fish.

One dolphin would bite the pufferfish, just under the tail by the belly, and only a little bit. The puffer would poof up and the dolphin would get a small dose of nerve toxin, go limp, and start floating up to the surface.

IMMEDIATELY, one of the dolphins would swim up and body block the poisoned dolphin from surfacing while the other dolphin would bite down on the puffer fish’s tail to keep it from escaping. After a few moments the poisoned dolphin would kinda shake it off and then they would trade off positions. They were observed doing this for about 23 minutes and then they just let the terrified puffer fish go...

They were passing around a puffer fish to get stoned off its nerve toxin, and they were also spotting each other to make sure they were safe! It’s enough to make an old pothead cry!!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

Part of me wants to see origin stories for everyone but owe basically have a picture of that from Starlight and how it likely applied to everyone but Homelander.

After being injected with compound v as a kid, he started hearing all water animals wherever he went. Probably grew up in Florida focusing entirely on being a superhero and literally loving dolphins.

How can he not be a moron?

That talk he had with the therapist where he mentioned when his powers kicked in and all he heard was the goldfish in the pet shop screaming was kinda horrifying though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Slashrat posted:

this imo

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the B tier hero who can talk to poultry joined an ecoterrorism cell after a visit to a factory farm

i wish Clucklefuck all the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Simone Magus posted:

...I don't think you know how bras work, unless that's a typo :v:

the joke is that any real pair of boobs would be consitered an A cup because for superheros anything smaller than a triple HHH cup would be seen as very small

i buy my own bras tyvm