Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Flame in the Flood: is there anything else to this game besides crafting and surviving? I know some people love that but the whole endless survive until you can't kind of games don't really do it for me.

2064 ROM: Seems like a modern adventure game in the style of old point and click ones. Full VA work for the partner character does a lot to keep me engaged but the whole look/talk/use dynamic of adventure games is not something I relish going back to after 20 years of modern game developments.

Part of me almost feels bad, because its not like they look like bad or even mediocre games, just something I don't have the time or patience for anymore in my life. Oh well, devs still got my money from whenever I bought it, got another couple hundred games I've never tried to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pentyne posted:

The Flame in the Flood: is there anything else to this game besides crafting and surviving? I know some people love that but the whole endless survive until you can't kind of games don't really do it for me.
No, that's basically all there is to it. The lack of any real substance is more or less the most criticized thing about the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nordichammer posted:

Tldr; what is a rogue like that has fun Meta progression, allows every run to be productive even if it sucks, doesn't make healing and upgrading cost remotely the same, always provides an option to attack, and isn't too punishing?

Prey: Mooncrash

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

pentyne posted:

The Flame in the Flood: is there anything else to this game besides crafting and surviving?

Yes, the music.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

nordichammer posted:

What do you think some of the best rogue likes are?

Tldr; what is a rogue like that has fun Meta progression, allows every run to be productive even if it sucks, doesn't make healing and upgrading cost remotely the same, always provides an option to attack, and isn't too punishing?

Dead Cells would be an obvious recommendation following Hades I think. Basic gameplay is just super good though there are some weird design decisions if you’re trying to go super deep into its higher difficulty levels. The meta progression is rewarding, especially early when it lets you unlock new areas (tho once you get into the aforementioned very high difficulty it starts to drag). I’d still definitely recommend it on the strength of its basic gameplay- its a master class on how to make combat and movement feel incredibly rewarding and fluid.

These two are maybe not full recommendations, but at least worth checking out I think:
Undermine is solid but sort of unremarkable imo. Top down, go from arena to arena as you explore a mine. Hits all the marks you’d expect from a roguelite. Meta progression is sort of fun?

Atomicrops is a fun mix of a top down bullet hell where you explore and loot during the day, and then go defend your money making crops during the night. It’s meta progression is super minimal though imo- I don’t think that’s a strong point for it.

(Also an aside but Slay the Spire is not really RNG dependent until you’re at higher ascensions!- I felt this way at first also, but once you get the hang of it the game starts feeling much more controllable. I’d maybe try coming back to it after awhile and giving it another shot. I put it down for like a year and then came back & asked questions in the thread and it really clicked for me after that)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Flame and the Flood's soundtrack is on Spotify and it's amazing.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

nordichammer posted:

What do you think some of the best rogue likes are?

Thanks for the nice summary of roguelikes, I’m always looking for another one to try and appreciate hearing other people’s thoughts.

I like nuclear throne a lot. It’s on the punishing side with ammo but as your aim improves and you get comfortable with swapping weapons out, it becomes less of a problem. As a person who is bad at video games, I’ve made it to the throne before but never beaten it. I think the difficulty of this game makes it one of the more rewarding ones to play

If you like the core gameplay of Risk of Rain 2, you may want to look up some of their artifacts. There’s one that gives a lot more agency to your build, and another that changes how you get upgrades. One or both of those can change the style of the game enough to potentially breathe a lot of new life into it.

As for things not in your list, I got Nova Drift on sale the other day and am really enjoying it. It’s like Asteroids on steroids with lots of character, a ton of ship building choices, and enough enemy diversity to be a fun, just one more try kind of game.

Comedy option is Barony. It’s Nethack in first person and real-time. Brutally hard, at least for my friends and I, but you can play it with up to 4 people

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Children of Morta is also a fun roguelike. Nice art and all experience and unlocks carry over. Plays sort of like a less punishing Binding of Isaac.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fruits of the sea posted:

Children of Morta is also a fun roguelike. Nice art and all experience and unlocks carry over. Plays sort of like a less punishing Binding of Isaac.

Children of Morta is good, but I feel it reminded me more of classic Diablo than anything else, somehow.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Synthetik.

Play Synthetik.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZearothK posted:

Children of Morta is good, but I feel it reminded me more of classic Diablo than anything else, somehow.
I wonder why. Children of Morta has a lot of great atmosphere, but Diablo is more or less the last thing I'd say I personally got from it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thehoodie posted:

You want streets of rogue, my friend

Seconding this, streets of rogue is fantastic.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-11-18-ubisoft-removes-skull-and-bones-studio-managing-director-named-in-sexual-misconduct-allegations

Another big Ubisoft executive got fired. The purge continues.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Streets of Rogue is ugly as gently caress, but I’ve heard enough praises of it from enough sources by now that I have to play it. I think it just came to Gamepass, also.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anonymous Robot posted:

Streets of Rogue is ugly as gently caress, but I’ve heard enough praises of it from enough sources by now that I have to play it. I think it just came to Gamepass, also.

It’s a huge game made by three people. The art is kinda bleh but the way such a small team got all those moving parts to come together is amazing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
IO Interactive's next project reveal starting soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAhuh21ii8

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kennel posted:

IT'S A JAMES BOND GAME

e: I am thrilled because Hitman 2016 is the most James Bond-esque game I've ever played, it's perfect.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

Sell me the DLC that lets me play as every Bond from the franchise, goddamnit. I want my Sean Connery bond, my Roger Moore bond, my Timothy Dalton bond, and eh hey throw in Pierce Brosnan for a laugh I guess

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't think it's any uglier than other games of its scale that I've seen, but I suppose that's something one could argue about. The functional art is very good at supporting the sheer destructability of the environment, so there's that.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Fanatical had a bundle with Streets of Rogue last week. Not sure if it's still there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: Actually, nevermind.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
An IOI Bond game could be amazing I just hope they're free to use all the various aspects of the franchise as they see fit and aren't tied to any particular Bond/movie/era etc

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

MMF Freeway posted:

An IOI Bond game could be amazing I just hope they're free to use all the various aspects of the franchise as they see fit and aren't tied to any particular Bond/movie/era etc

Apparently it’s an original Bond and an origin story of sorts. So sounds like they have some leeway to be creative.

Please let Bond be somehow related to 47. Like an older cousin or something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Anno posted:

Please let Bond be somehow related to 47. Like an older cousin or something.

"Hello, 47. Your next mission is to infiltrate MI6 as a junior agent..."

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

nordichammer posted:

what is a rogue like that has fun Meta progression, allows every run to be productive even if it sucks, doesn't make healing and upgrading cost remotely the same, always provides an option to attack, and isn't too punishing?

Immortal Redneck. You get upgrades every run and the combat's great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

'removed' feels more like 'demoted' to me because they would've just said fired or terminated if he was actually let go

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Taintrunner posted:

eh hey throw in Pierce Brosnan for a laugh

what the gently caress

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pierce Brosnan was a good Bond in a lot of mediocre movies. Goldeneye is a genuine all-timer though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Pierce Brosnan was a good Bond in a lot of mediocre movies. Goldeneye is a genuine all-timer though.

:same:

He was an excellent bond, he just got done dirty by being in movies that no actor could have saved

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

exquisite tea posted:

This. I'm a big fan of Tomorrow Never Dies too

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StrixNebulosa posted:

IT'S A JAMES BOND GAME

e: I am thrilled because Hitman 2016 is the most James Bond-esque game I've ever played, it's perfect.

Reuse Mastery level. Each unlock gives you an ever more complicated death machine that Bond starts the level strapped to.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Played some more of Prodeus. Don't think I'll come back to it until it's out of Early Access. It really is just fuckin' Doom with a more modern coat of paint. Same weapons (mostly) and same enemies (mostly). Pretty disappointing, honestly. Great soundtrack, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MMF Freeway posted:

This. I'm a big fan of Tomorrow Never Dies too

Brosnan is the best Bond in the worst films. Dalton is the best Bond in the most mediocre films. Those two are the best Bonds, hands down.

Bond by IO doesn’t inspire me with that much confidence though. I’m sure it’ll be good, but I wouldn’t expect Hitman. They’re not exactly the best devs when it comes to anything other than Hitman, and I wager they’re going to do a lot more spectacle. Really hope they nail it though!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever do anything that was not Hitman? I would love to see a good Bond game but happen to be pretty skeptical about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought the idea of Streets of Rogue was better than the execution. Not sure why but that game just didn't land with me as much as I liked the concept of it. I last played it on switch a year or more ago, maybe I'll try the gamepass version on PC to see if my mind's changed since then.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hwurmp posted:

Prey: Mooncrash

+1, all of the +1s

Mooncrash is criminally slept on

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anilEhilated posted:

Did they ever do anything that was not Hitman? I would love to see a good Bond game but happen to be pretty skeptical about it.

Kane & Lynch was criminally underrated.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Game review/impression time! I've been playing a bunch of weird ones lately!

Football, Tactics and Glory. Or, as I like to think of it, Footy, Tatty, and Glory. This is currently my favorite "one more game!" game, as it brilliantly distills football matches into 5-10 affairs where you move your players around the field and take shots and it's like...think Into the Breach. They have footy-related skills they can execute, they level up in their positions and there's the tactical question of: how do I get the ball into the net? Players have skills such as accuracy, passing and control and every contested move is weighted between the corresponding skills with just enough RNG to make it exciting - your accuracy 20 forward is probably going to get past the Goalie's 15 defense, but there's a slim chance it won't. Fortunately it's not to XCOM levels of gently caress you - instead it's more of a surprise when it happens.

Toss in robust Football Management stuff like managing your team - sell your dudes, buy more dudes, try to work up from the garbage-tier league - and it's really good! I suck at this game, which means that successes feel amazing and I'm slowly impressing my sponsor and developing my younger players into competent football men.

Note: I have the base game and DLC and imho the DLC is a requirement. The base game is on sale for 12.49 right now for another day, and the DLC is a flat 15$ so 28$ for the whole game. Worth it, imho, but if you're on the fence there's a demo and the base game is worth trying.

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission - this one ain't a glowing rec, but more of a tentative one. My boyfriend convinced me to stick through the (awful) twenty or so minute FPS section at the beginning to get to the actual game: tanks! 90% of this game is spent in a weird tank/hovercraft/RTS mash-up where you send around your 4 tanks and 4 hovercraft to an island map to hack the command building so you can own it. I adore the tank controls and adore having three tanks follow me as I charge into a base and blow up all the enemies, and send in my hovercraft to help pick off stragglers. I love going "ah, there's anti-air so I need to bring that down for the hovercraft" and "hmm, there's a back entrance to the base here" and "oh gently caress a laser walrus KILL IT KILL IT"

It's weird and fun and its flaws are....interesting. There's downtime as you wait for your tanks to drive into position and/or dock on your carrier between missions. The plot is complete garbage (we must capture this one planet from space China because it's the only source of water in the universe) and there are rare mandatory FPS sections that suck. I've never played a game with such bad FPS shooting, there's zero gunfeel. But the flaws aren't enough: the game's AI has actually decent pathfinding, it's fun puzzling out how to take islands, and it's just fun. I enjoy it! If this sounds appealing to you, either get this game and be patient about its flaws, or get Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising which is apparently the same type of game but better. I'll get to it when I'm done with this one.

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk - this is a dungeon crawler! There are some neat twists but I can tell you right now: if you're not interested in Wizardry-style exploring giant grid-based dungeons with a party of jrpg classes, you're not interested. This game isn't going to convert you to the genre, but instead is just good. I enjoy the ability to make essentially four parties in one - different "covens" can shove up to four characters into a single slot so you can do ridiculous combos and skills. This is a NIS game so it then offers all kinds of ways to make numbers go up, and I'm having a great time exploring it.

There's a story too, but it's fairly light - a witch and her tag-along kid arrive at a weird city and send a magic book down the central well to explore the labyrinth inside. The labyrinth is...it's mostly standard but I love the horrifying touches, like how the gnome kingdom has giant caged soldiers who were lobotomized. Or how you can find that the trolls in another section dismember and kill everyone they find. They're light but fascinating.

Alright, that's all! I'm also playing Horizon Zero Dawn, but I'm waaay too close to the beginning to give it a proper review.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Kennel posted:

Good evening 007. THAT... is Pussy Galore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

anilEhilated posted:

Kane & Lynch (2 games) Mini Ninjas, Freedom Fighters.

It’s a developer with a lot of turnover in the past two decades AND this is a project being worked on by a second studio (IOI Malmö) that opened last year. You have every right to be skeptical until there is gameplay footage.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 19, 2020