Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Pick posted:

$3k isn't much for a hobby, are there a lot of extra guitar peripherals or something?

Dropping $3k on a single item is a big purchase for 99.9% of people, pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I don't think I own a single thing worth $3k $2k.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

blunt posted:

I don't think I own a single thing worth $3k $2k.

Car? Your kidneys?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Car? Your kidneys?

Car was ~$1200 five years ago.

I have to confess I don't know the market rate for organs.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you can't own organs, man

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hawowanlawow posted:

you can't own organs, man

Not with that attitude!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

blunt posted:

Car was ~$1200 five years ago.

I have to confess I don't know the market rate for organs.

Three or four thousand, last I checked.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Moon Monster posted:

One of the Fry's in Houston had an enormous, I think almost full size, model of the International Space Station hanging from the ceiling. An astronaut I know said it was the best ISS mock-up he'd ever seen.

From a couple pages back, but I lived in the area when it was being built. It was the last themed Frys. It's off I45 in Webster, which is a small suburb of Houston, and right near NASA. Fun fact, it's on Kobayashi road, which always reminds me of Star Trek. I used to drive over and make a lap of the computer cases just to the right of the entryway and start my loop there. I miss that old Fry's, all I have near me is the lovely one they built at 59 and BW8. The Microcenter here moved from an easily accessed location near the Galleria to a real pain in the rear end to get to location. The old one was so cool, it had logos from all the original computer companies like DEC and neXt. They demolished it for a lovely high rise.

Pics here

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I went to the San Diego Fry's today and man was it sad. The back third of the building was walled off, there were areas with absolutely nothing (not even racks), and there was a little mini adult section separated by a single velvet rope next to a giant, rusty, steel box.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

McPhearson posted:

I went to the San Diego Fry's today and man was it sad. The back third of the building was walled off, there were areas with absolutely nothing (not even racks), and there was a little mini adult section separated by a single velvet rope next to a giant, rusty, steel box.

Man that is sad.

How are they able to make rent every month with the obvious lack of sales?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BloodBag posted:

From a couple pages back, but I lived in the area when it was being built. It was the last themed Frys. It's off I45 in Webster, which is a small suburb of Houston, and right near NASA. Fun fact, it's on Kobayashi road, which always reminds me of Star Trek. I used to drive over and make a lap of the computer cases just to the right of the entryway and start my loop there. I miss that old Fry's, all I have near me is the lovely one they built at 59 and BW8. The Microcenter here moved from an easily accessed location near the Galleria to a real pain in the rear end to get to location. The old one was so cool, it had logos from all the original computer companies like DEC and neXt. They demolished it for a lovely high rise.

Pics here

I forgot there was also a Soyuz and some notional future US spacecraft in there too, pretty neat!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jesus that's like Dashcon Ballpit levels of sad.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

McPhearson posted:

It's like Fallout 76 got a graphical upgrade.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zil posted:

Man that is sad.

How are they able to make rent every month with the obvious lack of sales?

Not being an expert, I think the way this works is that they just borrow until they either recover, or can't get any more loans and then go into chapter 11 to shed the debt.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That looks like something out of the Abandoned series by Bright Sun Films.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is the rusty sex cage for sale too?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I don't know, but if you end up breaking it you should probably run.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I worked retail at a successful store and it was mind crushingly depressing every day I can't imagine manning something like that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redgubbinz posted:

I feel like I should get a tetanus booster just from looking at it :stonk:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

redgubbinz posted:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I worked retail at a successful store and it was mind crushingly depressing every day I can't imagine manning something like that.

I dunno, customers were usually the worst part about working retail.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I dunno, customers were usually the worst part about working retail.

I worked in the stockroom so for most of my retail career I avoided that.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Yesterday on Twitter Naturalizer announced they were going to close all but two of their stores. I started working there around this time last year when my other store, Dressbarn, was going out. Due to Corona, I've only got like 4 months worth of work in.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
^drat, my hardiest pair of work shoes was from there. worn every day for six months straight, sometimes 12+ hour days. I probably could have kept them longer but after I quit that job I got rid of all the clothes I wore there because I couldn't take the association.

sorry about your unemployment :smith:

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

sweeperbravo posted:

^drat, my hardiest pair of work shoes was from there. worn every day for six months straight, sometimes 12+ hour days. I probably could have kept them longer but after I quit that job I got rid of all the clothes I wore there because I couldn't take the association.

sorry about your unemployment :smith:

Thank you.

I was told that if I wait it out Famous Footwear might take me in at my current pay. Both stores are owned by the same company and they're in the same complex. Thankfully I haven't burned through all my unemployment from the summer so I should be ok.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
^That's too bad. They've made some of the best-fitting and most comfortable dress shoes I've ever owned. :frown:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

DreadUnknown posted:

That looks like something out of the Abandoned series by Bright Sun Films.

wwwwwWWASSUP guys this is JAKE welcome to ABEEAAANDONED!

It's a great channel, along with Dan Bell's Dead Mall series. I find all those dead/dying malls utterly fascinating and depressing. Amazon and their ilk did all this, the internet was a mistake.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Im prettu sure Dan Bell is going to end up being found dead and stuffed in a closet in one of those loving super sketchy abandoned apartments he keeps exploring.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

DreadUnknown posted:

Im prettu sure Dan Bell is going to end up being found dead and stuffed in a closet in one of those loving super sketchy abandoned apartments he keeps exploring.

Another Dirty Room is my favorite youtube show

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/22/investing/guitar-center-bankruptcy/index.html

Guitar Center is filing chapter 11

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Whooping Crabs posted:

Another Dirty Room

Please don't vlog how I live

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whooping Crabs posted:

Another Dirty Room is my favorite youtube show

:same:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Retail Archeology is similar to Dan Bell's show but if it was mostly in Arizona with the occasional side trip to Vegas and Southern CA. He started checking on Frys like 4 years ago so you can really watch it sloooooooooowly circle the drain.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
drat, Naturalizer does good comfortable work shoes.

A lot of shoe stores in particular seem to be taking it on the chin, which is weird to me because I will never buy shoes without trying them on??

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
it's probably more that people don't need shoes when they're not tearing them up or showing them off at work.

No one cares if you're wearing slippers on a Zoom call.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Plus not really that wild about trying shoes on in a store during a pandemic

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a whole rack of dress shoes that I haven't worn once since March 15th.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Goober Peas posted:

I have a whole rack of dress shoes that I haven't worn once since March 15th.

Button-down shirts for me. I think a lot of business clothing stores are in trouble.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultrafilter posted:

Button-down shirts for me. I think a lot of business clothing stores are in trouble.

I’ve started wearing button-downs over T-shirts to a) stay a bit warmer especially when working in the basement and b) give my dry cleaner some work without just re-laundering unworn shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 summer dresses and a ton of fun happy skirts I usually live in from the first warm day of the spring until the fall chill forces me back into pants. This year there were some I never even wore once :smith:

some days i'd put on a dress just for fun to feel good about myself but day in and day out, when you're doing nothing but like, cleaning up and yardwork or just lying there waiting for the day to be over, it's difficult to justify wearing anything other than 15-20 year old t shirts and threadbare shorts

...man, i can't wait til my job goes back to normal and i can put on clothes that make me happy and not just comfy.