Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know tons of working people who own cabins in Wisconsin or Michigan. They’re union construction workers who get paid well though like $100k a year if they stay employed all year.

It doesn’t take that much to buy a second home, especially if your first house is also cheap, and you’ve been working since you’re 18.

Yeah, when I tried the family trade working on the presses, the top guys on a press could bring home 6 figures, but that was with 7 12 hour shifts a week for months on end. I heard the guys talking about their cabins and their boats, but then also about how they're getting their third divorce and they never see their kids.

The money is there, but you can't actually have a life to enjoy it. Fascinating job though, if it weren't the need to work all that OT to move up, I'd probably still be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo, the mayor of Bloomington is actually doing something.

Normal is making vague noises about it but since Koos is running for reelection, he's being way more coy and cautious about it.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1328844082710540299?s=19

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Normal is making vague noises about it but since Koos is running for reelection, he's being way more coy and cautious about it.

Good, about drat time.

Hope he has good home security or at least a few Ring cameras they like doing potshot drive bys and leaving pipe bombs in mailboxes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

dwarf74 posted:

I guess that's what they get for making their sleepy city Twitter-famous :v:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've been shocked Pritzker didn't drop something like that state-wide. It's laughably easy to juggle ownership of a company around to re-license under a new entity, though.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Deathlove posted:

I've been shocked Pritzker didn't drop something like that state-wide. It's laughably easy to juggle ownership of a company around to re-license under a new entity, though.

Wouldn't that take a few weeks? That's long enough to prevent a lot of super-spreader events before Christmas.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

Wouldn't that take a few weeks? That's long enough to prevent a lot of super-spreader events before Christmas.

Probably, so, yeah, worth it. Even a minimum of oversight to just not relicense at a certain address for a year or whatever would be worth it, but who knows how legal that is.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Deathlove posted:

Probably, so, yeah, worth it. Even a minimum of oversight to just not relicense at a certain address for a year or whatever would be worth it, but who knows how legal that is.

I am 100% certain that the power of state workers to, when necessary for the good of the land, proceed incredibly slowly with something can be harnessed for good this time around.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1329227281080983552

Lol

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Who's "Lawyer A"? Mike Kasper?

Comedy option Ed Burke

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

Who's "Lawyer A"? Mike Kasper?

Comedy option Ed Burke

We wouldn’t be that lucky

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
All the chuds I know hate Pritzker and love to make fun of him for being fat, while thinking Trump is some robust superman.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It's especially funny because Pritzker wears his weight 1000% better than Trump does with his ridiculously fitted suits.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Trump is fat, JB is thick.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If we somehow get rid of Madigan, this will truly be the best timeline.

Jows
May 8, 2002

CaptainJuan posted:

Trump is fat, JB is thick.

Nah, JB is fat, but he owns it and gets his suits tailored properly.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1329451242079330307?s=20

I'm sure Madigan can buy a couple votes but if this sticks he won't be speaker anymore.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It would be great to see Literal Cartoon Corrupt City Machine Boss Madigan gone

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

It would be great to see Literal Cartoon Corrupt City Machine Boss Madigan gone

How many members are going to suddenly resign right before the vote? Or show up with suspicious injuries and a change in how they vote?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Orvin posted:

How many members are going to suddenly resign right before the vote? Or show up with suspicious injuries and a change in how they vote?
Suddenly have mass power outages around their district right after declaring they'll vote against him, and find that no donors will speak to them

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A few more have came out and said that they will not vote for him as speaker.

If he loses the speakership, does he just resign or keep on without the immense power?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ill believe it when i see it. the members know that going up against madigan right before a remap is a great way to lose your seat if you gently caress with him

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
xposted to one of the covid threads.

Worth a horrifying, infuriating read

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1329591376242237440?s=19

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Those students are dumb, but I'm also not a fan of the opening paragraph implicitly shifting blame away from the bars for enabling the behavior.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cattail Prophet posted:

Those students are dumb, but I'm also not a fan of the opening paragraph implicitly shifting blame away from the bars for enabling the behavior.
Well tomorrow is the purported poo poo-kicking day. We'll see what happens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/1329831206830084097

Madigan Probably posted:

WHAT DO I HAVE TO PAY YOU DO TO HELP YOUR CONSTITUENTS TO CHANGE YOUR VOTE,

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

God we can’t get so lucky as to have that fuckwit lose power.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C'mon 2020, give us something here at the end. Just a little something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It wouldn’t be official until the assembly meets again next year right?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
How did everyone like the phone screaming

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lol wow emergency alert system

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m glad of it. You know there have got to be people who aren’t paying attention.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I wasnt a fan of it because of the 15 phones sitting within 3 feet of me that all went off at the same time, but got to get the word out. Doubt it will do any good though :(

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Does he actually need a majority of the house or just more votes than the other candidates? Because there's no way those 18 Democrats and the Republicans can agree on a challenger.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
If they actually put him up and the vote doesn't pass with 60, i believe there would be another vote taken, presumably with a different nominee (unless a couple of Nays can be flipped to Ayes on the second ballot).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah the vote is just Madigan vs. Not Madigan rather than Madigan vs. Some Guys

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Bugsy posted:

I wasnt a fan of it because of the 15 phones sitting within 3 feet of me that all went off at the same time, but got to get the word out. Doubt it will do any good though :(

I saw people complaining on Facebook about how it woke them up from a nap.

Also, Darren Bailey referred to it and the message as Communist. I do not think he knows what that word means.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/NathanIWinston1/status/1330627361969082368?s=19

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So would this be like 15 D and 2 R districts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

this owns but I would love to know how precarious the gerrymander is

like if 4000 people in Lincoln Park flip to R does it become a 17 R - 0 D map