Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SugarAddict posted:

I have a few melee pawns borged to the gills, armed with beta poly weapons, and space tech armor, will occasionally one shot centipedes if they decide to hit an important part. The issue at this part of the game is I decided to build my colony next to a river, which makes for easy power but drastically decreases the defendablility of my base.

Yeah if you include mods melee is extremely viable because its frankly really easy to get something that is, at bare minimum, going to lop off a limb at each hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I just watched some videos from a dude called Roll 1d2 and Christ on the Cross the modding scene is absolutely buckwild these days. Might well be on the cusp of getting back into RimWorld.

I've been watching Rhadamant's stuff and he's pretty insane modding wise. He (and his team) actually make their own mods tailored specifically to his run and his system, and he does a lot of integrated twitch stuff. Like, his viewers earn points and get to spend those to influence his game. Call in raids, drop supplies, change the weather, etc. Subscribers can get a pawn assigned to them and they can use their points to change that pawn, give/remove traits, change the gender, buy skill upgrades, etc.

It's really loving insane how much work he puts into it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Kestral posted:

Is there any way to edit the climate of an area once you've started the game? I'm a year and a half in with a map and pawns I adore, but I've just realized that this boreal forest is too warm to get snow, which is the entire reason I wanted to play in boreal anyway. I had no idea this could even happen, but there it is.

You could spawn a temperature drop site and never clear it. Though I don’t know how to specifically spawn that one.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've never had any performance issues with this game, but last night I had the biggest raid I've ever seen and 50+ raiders all funneling into my killbox at once really slowed the game to a crawl. Is this the point where turning off wealth-based raids would help?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't feel like I'm bad at this game, but the problems that come up feel a little ridiculous sometimes. The game will hit me with a sudden plague in the first year that puts everyone into a doom spiral and they ultimately end up dying of untended infections because they're all so busy digging up corpses to put on the dining room table

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Autosaving...

HEY FIVE OF YOUR GUYS GOT MALARIA!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I've never had any performance issues with this game, but last night I had the biggest raid I've ever seen and 50+ raiders all funneling into my killbox at once really slowed the game to a crawl. Is this the point where turning off wealth-based raids would help?

For raids, sure, but then you're also going to be dealing with raids that aren't going to be challenging or interesting to deal with.

But you haven't lived until you've managed to drop an orbital bombardment right on top of a 100+ raid.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

For raids, sure, but then you're also going to be dealing with raids that aren't going to be challenging or interesting to deal with.

But you haven't lived until you've managed to drop an orbital bombardment high-yield nuclear warhead right on top of a 100+ raid.

Right on your own map, let the reinforced uranium walls do their job and breathe in the beautiful radioactive orange for years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody have a favorite instructional Rimworld channel? I'm looking for something like Francis John does for ONI.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Anyone got any killbox advice? I’ve read some stuff and looked up some screenshots, but I still feel kind of lost.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I've been doing a mostly vanilla run to get back into the game and I did quite well but I've reached the point where the storyteller is actively trying to murder us, last night I had a pack of like 20 manhunter rabbits appear and Monty Python my whole colony. I'm scared to reload that auto save because about 60 seconds after I do it's going to be spicy

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
What happens if I capture an enemy faction leader and shove them in a cryptosleep casket?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

I've been doing a mostly vanilla run to get back into the game and I did quite well but I've reached the point where the storyteller is actively trying to murder us, last night I had a pack of like 20 manhunter rabbits appear and Monty Python my whole colony. I'm scared to reload that auto save because about 60 seconds after I do it's going to be spicy

Reload, before you unpause open the storyteller settings and adjust them down.

I thought I was ready to switch to Randy but then he immediately sent a mech raid followed shortly by a human raid when my defenses were still wrecked so I reloaded and switched back.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dragonrah, I was waiting for somebody knowledgeable to show up, but apparently you're stuck with me.

My standard killbox, which has been working okay, is a serpentine with a two-tile running space, studded with spike traps on alternating sides, and leading to an open gap in the base.

I have been googling and seen a couple of older posts with variations I want to try. It is claimed that if you dump rocks in the safe areas in the path, dupes preferentially run on the rocks because safer, while invaders preferentially run through the traps because faster (you fools!). I found one post that claimed that your killbox can actually be a straight four-tile-wide line extending out from the base, with one of the interior tiles a straight line of sandbags and the other a straight line of traps. I've also seen it suggested that you put an exit door next to the killbox; pawns prefer doors, invaders prefer open (they think) walkways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't feel like I'm bad at this game, but the problems that come up feel a little ridiculous sometimes. The game will hit me with a sudden plague in the first year that puts everyone into a doom spiral and they ultimately end up dying of untended infections because they're all so busy digging up corpses to put on the dining room table

Feel free to edit the scenario so you start with things to help you out if you want. I like the tribal dirt farmer stage, but if you don't there's nothing wrong with dropping in with a vanometric power cell and hydroponics tech.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dragonrah, I was waiting for somebody knowledgeable to show up, but apparently you're stuck with me.

My standard killbox, which has been working okay, is a serpentine with a two-tile running space, studded with spike traps on alternating sides, and leading to an open gap in the base.

I have been googling and seen a couple of older posts with variations I want to try. It is claimed that if you dump rocks in the safe areas in the path, dupes preferentially run on the rocks because safer, while invaders preferentially run through the traps because faster (you fools!). I found one post that claimed that your killbox can actually be a straight four-tile-wide line extending out from the base, with one of the interior tiles a straight line of sandbags and the other a straight line of traps. I've also seen it suggested that you put an exit door next to the killbox; pawns prefer doors, invaders prefer open (they think) walkways.

Note that door placement in a killbox or trap hallway is important because depending on location, it could get beat on whenever the enemy decides to flee. I've had some weird situations where the fleeing enemy force bashes down the door that would actually lead to my colony, and then they book it across the entire colony (that they were trying and failing to invade).

Your hallway sounds much like mine - I don't do chunks next to traps though.

The idea of a killbox is to funnel the enemy into an area that you've made ideal for your pawns, but as perilous for the enemy as possible. Think about the aspects of combat in this game:

1) Cover. Your pawns need it. The enemy must be given none (or crappy stuff like stools) to cover behind. The best cover is shooting from behind a wall. Sandbags are next. Make an L or U shape area for your colonists to line up behind such that they all have a wall to stand behind and sandbags to fire over and if the enemy takes cover at an oddly convenient line of stools, at least 1 colonist firing line is shooting their flank.

2) Range. But where do you build those fortifications for colonist survival? Think about the weapons you're aiming for or, if they're so extremely different than what you have, build for what you have and remodel later. Aim to build at the optimal range for your best DPS weapons, the things doing the most work vs. raids. Chain shotguns, heavy SMGs, and LMGs are great weapons. The two former though have short range... but that's exactly why you have your fortifications set such that as soon as Joe Pirate comes around the corner in his Go-Juice haze, it doesn't matter he's got a sniper rifle or a doomsday rocket launcher, he's in range of a trio of heavy SMGs and chain shotguns that rip him up before he can fire his slow warmup weapon with high range.

3) Numbers. The enemy is going to have more, sometimes far more, pawns than you, and it does not care if they die. Whenever possible, you need to limit the numbers of enemies that you're engaging at once - 10 colonists can beat 50 pirates if the pirates come in 1 at a time. That's why people talk about trap corridors - you have a 1 wide or 2 wide hallway that does a few switchbacks before opening into your killbox. Your colonists can use doors to bypass or enter the hallway at different spots, raiders have to take the long way. A bunched up group of 50 pirates will nicely go into a single file line and squeeze their way in, but you're dealing with fewer pirates at a time than engaging on open ground. Where your hallway exits into your killbox, ideally it's a 90 degree turn and you've littered the entrance and a little into the hallway with chunks, as pawns can't stop on chunks to fight, so they won't find cover on the killbox wall.

Or you can completely upend all that and design a thing where 1 enemy at a time can engage vs. 3 melee with 6 ranged backup (using a sandbag lined 1 tile hallway to force them to keep moving), completely eschewing the fortifications and using a pawn's ability to engage in melee in a 3 tile arc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can you explain how sandbags work if you're standing behind a wall?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When colonists lean out from around a wall, if there are sandbags next to it, they get cover from both.

So you have an arrangement like

XXXooo
___@___

Where X is walls, o is sandbags and @ is a pawn, as they peek out around the wall to fire upwards, they will use the sandbags as cover too.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Note that door placement in a killbox or trap hallway is important because depending on location, it could get beat on whenever the enemy decides to flee. I've had some weird situations where the fleeing enemy force bashes down the door that would actually lead to my colony, and then they book it across the entire colony (that they were trying and failing to invade).

That's because panicking enemies use the pathfinding-through-obstacles routine (like sappers) so they don't just stand still when trapped. And they seek to escape the map which means their destination is gonna be approximately the nearest map-edge. (There seems to be some randomization in the exact path)

If you want them not to break your doors, you generally just need to build your setup further off to one side instead of in the middle of the map; that way, from the perspective of any given position the raiders might be in, the shortest escape route always goes out the correct door.

Or do the other thing and [Hold Open] the doors, so you let fleeing enemies retreat through your base without breaking your poo poo.

Also since enemies can drop into your base regardless of what you do anyway, you might want to have a turret at every major internal hallway-junction, connected to a separate power circuit that is only switched on when it's Time To Paint Everything Red. :sparkles:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you explain how sandbags work if you're standing behind a wall?

the short version is that a wall with a sandbag right next to it protects you substantially better than the wall alone because in addition to beating the high cover of the wall, the bullet must also beat the partial cover of the sandbag.

i won't bore with the math right this moment (partially because i'd have to go look it all up again for the specific numbers) but it's a Thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cover is also directional too so if a position is likely to be flanked you will want to extend the cover along the direction the enemy will progress.

So a firing position to one side of a projected attack route wants sandbags to the side of it between it and the projected route.

Also an important thing with fighting position design is take into account what will happen if you have to fall back from it, you don't want the enemy to be able to use it, so try to design them to minimise the number of firing angles that can be employed back towards your own rear lines once the position falls. Putting plain blank walls as a backstop to your fighting positions is a good idea for this reason, as is minimizing the number of openings for the enemy to use as firing positions.

I use combat mods that generally make the combat less killbox focused, so it's perhaps more relevant for me, but it does apply to normal rimworld combat too. Basically a lot of the principles used in star fort design are applicable to rimworld, though the grid makes them harder to implement.

Another good thing I find is doors and mobility. Especially if you're defending a mountain you can often find it to be helpful to riddle the outer walls with firing positions and use doors and small passages to make them hard for the enemy to navigate while your pawns can just run through them easily. That way you can more easily fight on favourable terms. If the enemy is aproaching you can skirmish them with sniper rifles, if they start to bunch up and fire back, duck back through a door and run to another firing position, being able to pop in and out of total safety like that annoys the enemy AI a bit so it can be quite helpful. Again though that is more important for if you're using something that ups combat lethality a bit. But doors and mobility also applies a lot to insect defence and internal drop pod defence too, being able to move around your base more easily than the enemy is really important.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 19, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've nerfed raids with mods. I got a mod for the original style for traps where they don't break after one use, and you can reset them. So I just build walls around my colony, and build an open ended corridor into my walls lined with traps. I leave a space in between each trap, and have doors between those traps so that colonists can get through without hurting themselves, and reset the traps. The raiders will break down the doors while trying to escape, but at only 25 bricks per door, it's worth it.

I've also turned off zappers and raids by drop pods. I've found that if you don't, then the game gets cheap in the end, and every single raid will be with zappers or drop pods and there's no way to defend yourself essentially.

Even with all of that, raids can still be a bit of a challenge. Maybe I could turn them back on again, I've played a couple years like that, and I know that the game has changed a lot in that time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like open killboxes a lot, here is my last one in a base where things got really stable so I just expanded across 70% of the map, mined out every mountain, had resources to spare, etc. It is an imperfect design but the fundamentals are here: a place that the AI is drawn to path into that puts them in a bad spot.

The ideas that you can use at any wealth level are that I've removed almost all possibilities of enemy cover, given them targets that split their attention and are closer than my colonists and have enough things out in the "open" that they're drawn to the one opening around a sharp corner. You could make it much smaller with the same idea: a sudden turn that leaves them in the open and vulnerable to being shot, not perfectly sealing all your base off to reduce sapper/door busting AI, and denying cover for them while using it for yourself. Roof your cover spot to help prevent weather from affecting accuracy. The enemy could use the corner for cover but there is nothing in range short of maybe sniper rifles and even then it may be too big for that. I was worried turrets might hit each other if they miss so one side is empty. This map had a river so I built around it but rivers make incredible kill box slow downs, I think chest high shallow water is movement speed 30-40%.

Embrasures, machine gun nests, ammo boxes, barbed wire and dummies are modded, dummies seemed to get first aggro every time. Embrasures are pretty cheeky and break melee AI I think, you could use turrets or dummies you're willing to lose in front of walls instead, you just want points of interest that attackers run towards while your colonists open fire on enemies out of cover. I'm not entirely sure but the AI seems to consider some things more "attackable" than others, the geothermal plant was never attacked but I've always had watermills, windmills and solar panels shot at.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

With the 'multiple fallback positions' idea there's also the option of building multiple clusters of sandbags/etc to get enemies to stand in the AOE of a single IED. Bonus points if it also blows up a wooden wall and drops a roof on them, for maximum crunchiness.

Doomykins posted:

removed almost all possibilities of enemy cover

Do enemies still take cover behind offline vanilla turrets, or is that a mod-exclusive comedy gimmick?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume they could as I think turrets do have a cover rating.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Taeke posted:

I've been watching Rhadamant's stuff and he's pretty insane modding wise. He (and his team) actually make their own mods tailored specifically to his run and his system, and he does a lot of integrated twitch stuff. Like, his viewers earn points and get to spend those to influence his game. Call in raids, drop supplies, change the weather, etc. Subscribers can get a pawn assigned to them and they can use their points to change that pawn, give/remove traits, change the gender, buy skill upgrades, etc.

It's really loving insane how much work he puts into it.

I've watched a couple of his vids but I hadn't grasped that he went THIS far with it, drat that's insane and I respect it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hi I'd like to be a pawn who is a depressive pyromaniac with a painful torso scar who hates drugs and implants.

Skills? no thanks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jokes posted:

Hi I'd like to be a pawn who is a depressive pyromaniac with a painful torso scar who hates drugs and implants.

Skills? no thanks

Have we got a place for you!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

OwlFancier posted:

I recommend the hell out of it, Android Tiers, Save Our Ship 2, Rimworld of Magic, all massive mods that add huge elements to the game, and also all intercompatible (also gonna shill Combat Extended again which the compatability expansion really helps make better) also the whole Vanilla Expanded collection does what it says, expands vanilla elements. There's also the Dubs series with Hygiene, rimefeller and rimatomics for just really good systems that are fun to play with.

Is there a fix/patch between SOS2 and CE that makes torpedoes work? For a while they were busted if CE was loaded, so I started playing without CE and it just wasn't the same :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epsilon Plus posted:

Is there a fix/patch between SOS2 and CE that makes torpedoes work? For a while they were busted if CE was loaded, so I started playing without CE and it just wasn't the same :/

Huh, I don't know as I haven't gotten to that point yet, but it does claim to be compatible with SOS2 so I'm not sure if they changed it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just lol if your prison cells aren't close to the freezer

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You've all got me morbidly curious, which is a plus when playing Rimworld. So, if I do want to go into commercial cannibalism, what are the basics?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You've all got me morbidly curious, which is a plus when playing Rimworld. So, if I do want to go into commercial cannibalism, what are the basics?

Get someone who doesn't care about butchering humans (cannibal or sociopath, preferably cannibal) and have them do all the butchering of fallen raiders and liquidated prisoners.

The rest of the colony will get -6 "we butchered humanlike" (nonstacking), but the corpses will be turned into stuff you can gift/sell/etc.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ideally you want a cannibal or psychopath to do the butchering, otherwise the pawn's gonna get super sad.

Note that everyone in the colony's gonna get a bit sad from doing it, however that's nothing some psychite tea and a fine meal won't fix.

Also note that everyone in the colony is going to hate the butcher, so you may need to separate them from the rest of the colony - night shift, private hut with husky delivered meals, that kind of thing.

But otherwise that's basically it. You could make a little sequestered compound for the colonist off the beaten path in your base or you can try to get every pawn with cannibal trait. I think the Cthulu mod allows you to make all your pawns cannibals?

Anyway just kill enemies and drag their corpses to be butchered. Human leather sells well (oddly enough) while the meat is useful for kibble/chemfuel making or feeding to cannibals.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Our colony butchers and eats 15 people a quadrum" factoid actualy just statistical error. average pawn butchers and eats 0 people per quadrum. Cannibal Georg, who lives in hut on other side of base & butchers and eats a person each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
"In completely unrelated news, would you be interested in buying this exquisite cowboy hat made out of pristine human leather? We have a bunch of them lying around for no real reason."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I tried to make an all-Cannibal base once. The population growth was just too slow to keep up with the necessary wealth ramp as I produced, researched, and traded.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RimWorld players tending towards cannibalism (and other atrocities) for fun and profit is like some kind of weird gamer parallel to carcinization.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's like playing Crusader Kings; everyone starts out thinking they're going to be the good guy and make the world better, but then they find themselves in a situation where the only thing between them and their goal is one easily-killable baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I've watched a couple of his vids but I hadn't grasped that he went THIS far with it, drat that's insane and I respect it.

His Rimworld of Magic is pretty wild. Because RoM is so OP, he had already tweaked raids to be full of elementals and necromancers and stuff, but it just wasn't enough even with the viewers loving with him. By the midgame he starts every stream the same way by saying that he had to make the enemies deadlier yet again because the enemies just weren't a threat.

His zombie run is fun too. Viewers loving with him by doing stuff like spawning three hordes simultaneously, again and again. Having to have a permanent burning stockpile for corpses that's literally 20x20 big and it just isn't enough.

"How's the zombie situation outside the walls? Let me check the numbers tab. Oh, only 200ish? Guess it's safe enough to go out!" :v: