Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I expect they will do some manner of Hickman X-Men omni that covers the most important parts of this era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I expect they will do some manner of Hickman X-Men omni that covers the most important parts of this era.

tell us if you sell that planetary set

those are actually sexier then i was picturing, i prefer the wildstorm book design to what dc did with the omni/absolute coming up

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought about keeping those and selling the omnibus. If I get no bites I might still try that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i liked your presentation...

years of selling books in action haha

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I use that same backdrop for toy sales, seems to work well!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I use that same backdrop for toy sales, seems to work well!

Yeah I dig it, it stands out.

I got a bug in my rear end and redid my shelving plan. It was by author and enough people convinced me that it should be by size for structural reasons that I changed it all up. Now it's tpbs and softcovers, then standards, then oversized, then omnis and absolute sizes on the bottom shelves.. Way less interesting grouping wise but so much better! Should have done this sooner

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine is all over the place. I have a bookcase that everything but the top shelf is TPBs and regular sized HCs organized by title. Except, for example, I have BPRD under H for Hellboy and Fourth World/OMAC under K for Kirby. I also have a horizontal two tier shelf, the top of which is Marvel TPBs and oversized HCs and the bottom shelf is other misc oversized books and Absolutes. And then stuffed wherever I have room is all the small format stuff like manga and random odd sized indie books.

It's mostly so I don't have, say, Scott Pilgrim next to Absolute Sandman. I would lose so many small books under the big ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine are currently in "I had to unbox these so who cares about organization but also the shelves are various sizes so I have to put larger things on specific shelves" and I don't really see that changing any time soon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I added a 6 tier rack so that kinda also spurred the redo. Going from 3 shelves (technically two when one is paperback size) to 9 was a big help. Also did a loft style shelf over the doorway for all the heavy stuff like the akira box and the Beatles yellow sub box. I will lol when it collapses over my head and kills me :negative:

e: won the complete luther strode today..the other bidders were lame..drove it up to 20 more then i wanted to pay, and basically entirely on the first day which is how i won easily..

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The library/office part of the basement is currently dominated by my sales setup but I'll get that cleared up and get some nice pics of the new layout.

Here's something dumb, in all the moving nonsense I didn't even notice these four boxes were missing until my wife found them today

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I organize by character for super books, title for everything else. And I've got a glass case for omnibuses.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been adding TPBs to my collection like crazy -- almost 30 books since August, which is more than I've bought in the last few years combined -- although they were all excellent deals (Ollie's and used bookstore finds, comic shop BOGOs, eBay and InStockTrades discounts, and a really good trade). You all inspired me to take some "shelfies":

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Amazon wish list has over 300 books on it from the last time I took an inventory of what I was missing and what existing stuff I wanted.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shout out to having Rex Libris!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

Shout out to having Rex Libris!

I'm a librarian, I felt obligated. It was fun! I even considered buying the statue several years ago, but talked myself out of it.

Rhyno posted:

My Amazon wish list has over 300 books on it from the last time I took an inventory of what I was missing and what existing stuff I wanted.

I'm down to a single-digit book want list now. I am so close to that state of "collection equilibrium," where I have everything I want, like everything I have, and have gotten rid of everything I'm not in love with. There are still some books on these shelves I'd really like to sell or trade, plus my whole collection of Suicide Squad single issues and about a shortbox full of random other singles. I'm hoping to sell the Suicide Squads to someone as a Christmas gift, or maybe I'll have better luck closer to Gunn's movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm down to a single-digit book want list now. I am so close to that state of "collection equilibrium," where I have everything I want, like everything I have, and have gotten rid of everything I'm not in love with. There are still some books on these shelves I'd really like to sell or trade, plus my whole collection of Suicide Squad single issues and about a shortbox full of random other singles. I'm hoping to sell the Suicide Squads to someone as a Christmas gift, or maybe I'll have better luck closer to Gunn's movie.

I have a lot of out of print books that will likely never be reprinted or recollected. I have 10 volumes of the series Birthright that I will probably never buy, but there's no harm leaving them on there.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I have a lot of out of print books that will likely never be reprinted or recollected. I have 10 volumes of the series Birthright that I will probably never buy, but there's no harm leaving them on there.

Normally I'd say yes but I had these on my wishlist
Akira box set (since 2017), sin city big drat version (since 2015).. Both got stealth restocked and I got them under cover instead of triple the price.. This year is full of curveballs

E: sin city in theory, I have this massive backlog order at CGN that's coming up on a month and a half and I keep adding books.. So hopefully they don't Charlie brown football me

Zombie Trotsky
Sep 18, 2003
Don't call it a comeback
College Slice
What are the odds of a Hickman Secret Wars Omnibus collecting all of the Battleworld / side books?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zombie Trotsky posted:

What are the odds of a Hickman Secret Wars Omnibus collecting all of the Battleworld / side books?

It would be a foot thick.

Maybe two volumes

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

As someone who only reads trades, I'm pretty excited to finish East of West and Papergirls; it's been a long time since I read either of those is there a resource that does an issue by issue synopsis so I can refresh my mind?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Looks like Dark Horse is resuming EC Archives stuff after Covid, kind of odd they're doing Shock Illustrated volumes already. I can't really figure out their release strategy for these things, they've been fluctuating between Pre-Trend/New-Trend/New-Direction volumes lately. I wish they'd just go ahead and collect the rest of Frontline Combat so that all the New Trend stuff would be complete before the line sputters out.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

obi_ant posted:

As someone who only reads trades, I'm pretty excited to finish East of West and Papergirls; it's been a long time since I read either of those is there a resource that does an issue by issue synopsis so I can refresh my mind?

Big same on east of west, I think I get my year 3 in the morning usps willin'

I haven't started paper girls, was going to give that a look next now that all three volumes are out and pick them up if I enjoy it. I like most of bkv (the last part of y is probably my least favorite of his stuff, ex machina my fav) so I figure odds are good I'll dig it..
Luther strode is as insane as I remember and I don't even mind the markup I paid to finally get the collected.

E: now that I think about it ex machina did feel kinda rushed at the end, bkv just not great at bringing it home for me, gotta read more of his stuff

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 21, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

Big same on east of west, I think I get my year 3 in the morning usps willin'

I haven't started paper girls, was going to give that a look next now that all three volumes are out and pick them up if I enjoy it. I like most of bkv (the last part of y is probably my least favorite of his stuff, ex machina my fav) so I figure odds are good I'll dig it..
Luther strode is as insane as I remember and I don't even mind the markup I paid to finally get the collected.

E: now that I think about it ex machina did feel kinda rushed at the end, bkv just not great at bringing it home for me, gotta read more of his stuff

Papergirls gives a really good 80s vibe, much like Stranger Things (which I also enjoyed). I like the all-female cast, the story is very straight forward and the art is up my alley too. I haven't read Ex Machina, but I enjoyed Saga, Pride of Baghdad, Y: The Last Man, so I kinda like BKV's style.

If you liked any of those, Papergirls should be very enjoyable as well.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

obi_ant posted:

Papergirls gives a really good 80s vibe, much like Stranger Things (which I also enjoyed). I like the all-female cast, the story is very straight forward and the art is up my alley too. I haven't read Ex Machina, but I enjoyed Saga, Pride of Baghdad, Y: The Last Man, so I kinda like BKV's style.

If you liked any of those, Papergirls should be very enjoyable as well.

i know this is lame, book by its cover and all, but the design of those 3 volumes caught my attention. going to try and give the first few issues a read this week and see if i end up buying the set from IST..discount wise its like 60ish pre tax for an entire series which is..tempting alone.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Paper Girls is drat delightful. If you like Stranger Things, you'll love it. If you don't like Stranger Things, you'll still probably love it.

I'm so psyched that Christopher Cantwell, current Iron Man comic writer who was one of the co-showrunners for the brilliant Halt and Catch Fire, will be the Paper Girls showrunner.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Paper Girls is drat delightful. If you like Stranger Things, you'll love it. If you don't like Stranger Things, you'll still probably love it.

I'm so psyched that Christopher Cantwell, current Iron Man comic writer who was one of the co-showrunners for the brilliant Halt and Catch Fire, will be the Paper Girls showrunner.

Halt and catch fire was excellent. Ok ok, everyone convinced me lol

(I watched three terrible MacKenzie movies just because of h&cf.. That terminator thing, izzy goes across town and I blanked on the third title. She's talented but her choice of scripts is questionable)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 21, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Im meh about Stranger Things and BKV can be hit or miss with me, but I enjoyed the hell out of Paper Girls. A large part of that is being a sucker for time travel nonsense. But the characters were delightful, too.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Somehow my timing worked out where I caught a copy of kill or be killed for cover price... Between that reckless and the criminal reprints I'm finally going to have the Brubaker set I've been attempting...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

Somehow my timing worked out where I caught a copy of kill or be killed for cover price... Between that reckless and the criminal reprints I'm finally going to have the Brubaker set I've been attempting...

I blindly pick up anything by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. That duo hasn't really let me down yet, although Scene of the Crime of was pretty big letdown for me.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

obi_ant posted:

I blindly pick up anything by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. That duo hasn't really let me down yet, although Scene of the Crime of was pretty big letdown for me.

Oh 100% they crush that whole pulp throwback, like between sin city, everything they do, 100 bullets and that dark horse noir collection out this month I feel like I'm well stocked in the genre

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Ordered paper girls so if I hate it each of you has to buy a volume off me 😂

Also ordered- Marvel hip hop covers 1 & 2, the scud omni sc, how to talk to girls at parties hc

I didn't buy any of the actual hip hop covers so I was down for a collected version but I looked at reviews after and these are the laziest most barebone release possible. You get the cover and prelim sketch.. No text about the cover, no thumbnail of the album art it adapts, nada. Uhh OK.

Scud I found internationally new for half the price everyone is selling used so I'm suspicious but I'll find out soon enough

How to talk to girls at parties, I actually did not enjoy the film overall. Aspects yeah but ehhh. However I love Daytripper and didn't realize they did the art and the thing must be tiny because it's under ten with discounts so.. Even if I hate the source material too I'm sure I'll dig the art

In non comic stuff I had the atlas of brutalist architecture show up yesterday. The first print was huge and went oop, they did a new size printing that is manageable and the thing is fantastic. If you have interest in the style this is basically the book to own, hopefully this version stays in print

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 23, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My family all asked what to get me so I shot my TPB list out to everyone. Hope I get some good poo poo!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

How to talk to girls at parties, I actually did not enjoy the film overall. Aspects yeah but ehhh. However I love Daytripper and didn't realize they did the art and the thing must be tiny because it's under ten with discounts so.. Even if I hate the source material too I'm sure I'll dig the art

The original story they adapted was like 5-10 pages long. I honestly don't know how they made a movie out of it. I'm mildly curious to see it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

The original story they adapted was like 5-10 pages long. I honestly don't know how they made a movie out of it. I'm mildly curious to see it.

I'm going to laugh when the hardcover shows up and is 12 pages. I should really start checking page counts

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

My family all asked what to get me so I shot my TPB list out to everyone. Hope I get some good poo poo!

Honestly I think we're all the easiest people to get gifts for. Here's the exact list of things I'm going to buy for myself eventually, no thinking required

Tell us what you get

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

I'm going to laugh when the hardcover shows up and is 12 pages. I should really start checking page counts

The comic is at least 50-60 pages.

I had some TPB that I paid regular price for that came with three issues of comics and the second half was the same three issues as pencils. Was annoyed at that one.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

The comic is at least 50-60 pages.

I had some TPB that I paid regular price for that came with three issues of comics and the second half was the same three issues as pencils. Was annoyed at that one.

How is the comic? I like everyone involved..thinking maybe the adaptation was just a bad one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I mean, it's beautiful. The story doesn't have a lot of meat on its bones, but it's a fun little sci-fi allegory for puberty. Like I said, it started as like a 10 page short story in a collection of other short stories. I'm not mad that I own it.

You can read it here:
https://www.neilgaiman.com/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties_(Text)?key=Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties_(Text)

You'd probably like Two Brothers if you haven't read it. It comes in a nice hardcover!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

zer0spunk posted:

Scud I found internationally new for half the price everyone is selling used so I'm suspicious but I'll find out soon enough

I wish they would reprint the HC. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uthor posted:

I mean, it's beautiful. The story doesn't have a lot of meat on its bones, but it's a fun little sci-fi allegory for puberty. Like I said, it started as like a 10 page short story in a collection of other short stories. I'm not mad that I own it.

You can read it here:
https://www.neilgaiman.com/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties_(Text)?key=Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties/How_To_Talk_To_Girls_At_Parties_(Text)

You'd probably like Two Brothers if you haven't read it. It comes in a nice hardcover!

on my list for sure, daytripper was my introduction to moon/ba and i def want to go through their work..my backlog is..uh..stupid frankly but i'll get there. i haven't had time to start umbrella academy (the show) and thats about to be on season 3..i'm reading more because of the pandemic and having free time for the first time in decades, but also buying and adding more then i ever have thanks to things i thought i wouldn't get a chance at magically all popping up this year

like a deal for vol 1 of the family tree box sets came up today in that fb group and i went for it thinking i'd never find those haha it's intense..things ive legit had on alerts for years all in the same tiny span of 2020

JordanKai posted:

I wish they would reprint the HC. :(

oh you better believe it kills me knowing they made a limited ed hardcover that i missed by a decade plus..even the tpb collection is out of print like 3 different times and i consider the price i might have found one for a minor miracle..ive read the run before..it gets kinda lovely in the middle but i really love how he ended it and ive never gone for the robot cosa nostra side books things so if those are collected too that's a bonus

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 23, 2020