Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

klosterdev posted:

Bob (wear your mask) don't you work for a hospital or mental health facility or something? And they're saving its impossible their employees in a Healthcare facility couldn't catch it at work?

Like, it's extremely dumb and will cause outbreaks from people coming to work sick but that's like, especially dumb.

quote:

Will we get the COVID-19 vaccine? If so, will WORKPLACE require staff across the facility to be vaccinated? If we’ve already been positively diagnosed with COVID, do we need to be vaccinated? Once vaccinated, do we still need to wear masks?

MDHHS did say we will get the vaccine in phase 1-2 (Dec-Jan likely) and they will not mandate an Emergency use only vaccine. WORKPLACE will follow the federal and state requirements for staff vaccination when vaccine is available. Answers for the questions, if you were positive do you need vaccination and wear a mask will hopefully be answered then but it is anticipated that social distancing and masking will still be required.

Why are we keeping COVID positive patients/residents now when we were not before?

With the increase in the number of COVID positive cases in the community the HUBs for LTC residents are full and not accepting additional residents at this time. The last few COVID positive LTC residents had to go to Detroit area HUBs. The hospitals will not accept asymptomatic COVID positive or mildly symptomatic COVID positive patients.

Why isn’t housekeeping cleaning like they were initially?

As with many departments housekeeping has experienced staffing issues throughout the pandemic. We are continuing to work to find ways to provide a safer, cleaner environment including using new technologies such as electrostatic cleaners which can provide much quicker sanitization of an area from a single staff member. We also have worked with housekeeping management to review cleaning guidelines. Overall, we’ve also seen excellent ATP scores, an ATP device looks for living organisms on a surface and provides a score based on how well a high-touch surface was cleaned. This can also be credited to unit staff which have been tremendously helpful throughout the pandemic and have stepped up to help keep our patients and residents safe. If you have any housekeeping concerns please bring them to the directory of housekeeping.

Why do some staff who test positive and are asymptomatic get retested and some don’t?

When we first started using Honu labs, we received a large number of asymptomatic positive staff and were having them retest to verify their results. WORKPLACE was also working with MDHHS BOL to retest original samples during this time. After changing over to NxGen labs, we found that they had accurate results and stopped the retesting of staff. Now people who are positive should not get retested for three months.

Do I have to use PTO time for my COVID absence days?

If a staff member’s exposure is defined as occurring at WORKPLACE, WORKPLACE will pay normal scheduled hours for the first week and will then make up the difference in the amount received from workers compensation for the quarantine timeframe (typically a total of 14 days). Because WORKPLACE is classified as a low risk facility for employee exposure, it is more likely that an employee’s exposure occurred outside of WORKPLACE. Therefore, staff will be required to use PTO to cover their absence days related to COVID.

Also, re: mandatory PTO becuase of business being down

quote:

When will the mandatory time off end? Are holidays counted as days in this mandatory time?

We are unable to provide a definite time when employees will no longer have to take mandatory time off. This is dependent on if census increases in the future. The mandatory PTO/UTO time is in addition to holidays – holidays may not be used as the mandatory time off requirement.

As a manager, if we need people to staff, do we exempt the mandatory time off requirement?

Mandatory time off requirement can be adjusted based on staffing needs, with approval to do so, on a case by case basis.

Can we consider changing the PTO required time off so that if senior people with more PTO want to take extra days, then a Junior person’s PTO is not depleted as much?

In this scenario, a department would be responsible for a certain number of PTO hours each month and could take volunteers rather than mandating.
At this time, we will continue to ask all salaried staff and full-time hourly staff not involved in direct patient care to continue the mandatory time off. Beginning with the time period 11/8/2020, employees will only be required to take 8 hours of PTO/UTO every 4 weeks. Mandatory PTO/UTO will be re-evaluated on 1/02/2021.

If I am off work for COVID related reasons, can I use that time off as part of my mandatory PTO/UTO days each month?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If they're going to pull that horseshit they can at least do what my workplace is doing and letting all employees go to negative two weeks of sick time with no consequences. (unless they quit before getting back to zero, in which the difference will be deducted from the last paycheck)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

Something similar happened to me and I had the same fears, so I’ll say to you what someone said to me.

There is nothing you can do about it now, so don’t beat yourself up worrying about it. You didn’t know you had anything to worry about at the time, and you have acted ethically and responsibly since the moment you’ve found out. These things happen, and most likely everyone’s going to be just fine. You acted correctly from start to finish, so please don’t worry about things that are not your fault. You are human like the rest of us, and you can only act on information if you know about it in the first place.
Be calm, self isolate, and get your test result. It’s a scary thing, and your feelings of fear and concern are absolutely valid. With luck you’ll all be OK and it’s just a scare. No matter what happens, you are not at fault for any of it.

I'm taking the Bene Gesserit approach - recognizing and admitting my fear, letting it pass, and seizing the kalm afterward.

Test scheduled for Sunday. 1-3 days after that for results. Stay at home for two weeks post-contact regardless of test results.

Gotta find someone to pass off my in-person poo poo to.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

klosterdev posted:

If they're going to pull that horseshit they can at least do what my workplace is doing and letting all employees go to negative two weeks of sick time with no consequences. (unless they quit before getting back to zero, in which the difference will be deducted from the last paycheck)

Bob Morales posted:

Also, re: mandatory PTO becuase of business being down

This is evil, by the way. Just pure recklessness and malice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe IT workers in the US can finally unionize...?

Naaaah, who are kidding?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Considering how easy it is for companies to skirt around the union busting laws and get away with firing anyone that so much as thinks the word 'union,' even if workers did organize it's never gonna happen.

Sure, you can take them to court over it. But the only entity able to pay for the lawyers would be another corporation.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

dragonshardz posted:

I'm taking the Bene Gesserit approach - recognizing and admitting my fear, letting it pass, and seizing the kalm afterward.

Test scheduled for Sunday. 1-3 days after that for results. Stay at home for two weeks post-contact regardless of test results.

Gotta find someone to pass off my in-person poo poo to.
Testing centers are getting slammed by people planning to get together with their families over Thanksgiving. loving assholes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

"gently caress you, got mine" is alive and well, eh?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

Considering how easy it is for companies to skirt around the union busting laws and get away with firing anyone that so much as thinks the word 'union,' even if workers did organize it's never gonna happen.

Sure, you can take them to court over it. But the only entity able to pay for the lawyers would be another corporation.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, but I mean... unions exist, don't they? How did they do it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Iron Rose posted:

This is evil, by the way. Just pure recklessness and malice.
It was either that or lay 10% of the staff off.

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe IT workers in the US can finally unionize...?

Naaaah, who are kidding?

Our union employees don't fall under this because they are understaffed right now, they're actually mandated to be working overtime right now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, but I mean... unions exist, don't they? How did they do it?

The vast majority of them did it before the U.S. became the capitalist hellscape it is now.

Not to say it wasn't a capitalist hellscape in the early-mid-late 1900s, just less of one, that was a lot more permissive of unions. The Dubya administration destroyed a lot of that.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Because WORKPLACE is classified as a low risk facility for employee exposure

hahahahhahahahha

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Sales people can pull the trump card of THIS SALE

Worst, to least worst, but still terrible:
Doctors -> Lawyers -> Sales -> Marketing

I don't think Sales and Marketing people are that bad, it's just they have much stronger personalities than say, the peons in accounting, so they are harder to work with.

A lot of it comes to how those departments are managed. A sales manager who only fixates on this quarter's revenue is going to produce a sales team of rampaging assholes. Better sales managers can produce an environment where sales people realize the rest of the company are also on the same team, and you get sales people who are less assholish. Same for marketing. Sales in particular get lots of sales managers whose qualifications were big numbers but no management skill what so ever.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The big impediment to tech unions is that for a lot of people the “temporarily embarrassed millionaire” stereotype is, sometimes, rather close to being true. There’ll be a lot of pushback from highly paid devs and engineers who have made the system work for them, and are now making oodles of money on the backs of poorly paid gig workers.

Obviously it’s worth the cost if it means people like Bob wear a mask, or so folks can actually take sick leave when they’re sick instead of working while infected harming others. The sheer human cost outweighs basically any salary arguments... but the FYGM in tech is very real and I worry it would be a death knell for unionization when the demand for talent is so strong you have people earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

Or again, this can all go back to the IT vs engineering split. When salaries are so so high... I question whether there are enough class allies to make a difference.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 19, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Iron Rose posted:

Or again, this can all go back to the IT vs engineering split. When salaries are so so high... I question whether there are enough class allies to make a difference.

If they refuse to look us in the eyes, then you cut them off at the knees, so they have no other choice.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I work in telecom, so their are unions for some things, but most computer work is defined as management. In a previous job there were different tiers, and the lower tiers were union since even though they were doing remote troubleshooting, they were following processes and such and really it was an outgrowth of central office work. At some point stuff changed from electronics to software and more and more of the job became knowledge work that wasn't just process.

This lead to lower tiers being union, but higher tiers were A band management. It was a very interesting dynamic. You could get promoted out of the union tier to management, and you might get a raise, but you were salary and missed out on that sweet overtime. But it worked for a while.

It started working less as the economy faltered and they stopped hiring lower tiers, promoted all they could into management, and then started hiring folks off the street for management level jobs. In this case management level meant software expert, good computer and troubleshooting skills. So the company was getting rid of union folks by attrition and job re-definition. And as there were less lower tiers, more work fell on the upper tiers.

So there was a push to unionize the upper tiers. Over half the folks there started as union, so there were people open to it. On one hand we all had meetings with HR who wanted to know what our concerns were and tell us all about how awful unions were and how badly they would treat us. On the other hand, upper management started referring to their US employee base as 'resources in high cost geographies, with a pretty clear message that the outsourcing was coming.

In the end, nothing happened. 2008 hit, a bunch of people left or got laid off, and they outsourced so much it damaged their brand. Fun times.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

There was a lot of violence over many decades.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So far 50 emails have come in on a reply-all storm from a mailing list that apparently includes hundreds to possibly thousands of employees/contractors' personal email addresses on it. Best part is that said mailing list absolutely should not allow replies from random people, but here we are regardless.

So that's a great thing to have spamming the poo poo out of my personal email address on a Thursday evening.

Edit: ten more came in while typing this, and there's also a separate "REMOVE FROM LIST" email chain going on concurrently so that's cool and good.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 20, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

So far 50 emails have come in on a reply-all storm from a mailing list that apparently includes hundreds to possibly thousands of employees/contractors' personal email addresses on it. Best part is that said mailing list absolutely should not allow replies from random people, but here we are regardless.

So that's a great thing to have spamming the poo poo out of my personal email address on a Thursday evening.

Edit: ten more came in while typing this, and there's also a separate "REMOVE FROM LIST" email chain going on concurrently so that's cool and good.

Set an auto-reply-all to all emails that come in with that subject line, then set a rule that automatically deletes all emails with that subject line that come in. Bask in the chaos.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I moved for a new job this past July. Found a reasonable house in a nice neighborhood and got moved in by the end of August.

Quiet street, friendly neighbors, lots of people out walking dogs.

There's a friendly old guy that walks his dog (I've never seen him, I work nights) who has advanced from waving at my kids as he passes by, to stopping and talking to them at street side, to coming right up to our fence to let them interact with his dog, and then today which finally set off Mrs Bastard's spider senses, he walked around the house and let himself into the back yard where the girls were playing.

Checked the registry...he's a loving level 3 sex offender.

Argh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tactlessbastard posted:

I moved for a new job this past July. Found a reasonable house in a nice neighborhood and got moved in by the end of August.

There's a friendly old guy that walks his dog (I've never seen him, I work nights) who has advanced from waving at my kids as he passes by, to stopping and talking to them at street side, to coming right up to our fence to let them interact with his dog, and then today which finally set off Mrs Bastard's spider senses, he walked around the house and let himself into the back yard where the girls were playing.

Argh

Isn't that like an automatic "Get reported, go straight to prison" thing?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't that like an automatic "Get reported, go straight to prison" thing?

We're going to find out!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tactlessbastard posted:

Argh

On the one hand...

...actually, nope. No hands. Straight to :murder:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

0_0

Time for a camera system at home and a restraining order.

Good luck.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo pissing me off: a warehouse employee - Dunning Kruger personified and a major source of gently caress-ups in our ERP about which he lies afterwards - mailing me (with the owner in CC) to request the status of the implementation of our new web shop and to be kept in the loop on any progress. My first three replies were "gently caress you" but I deleted those unsent. I'm just ignoring it for now.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

My thing is I get bored quickly. I’ve worked for companies who probably could have gotten away with just using an MSP.

Doing everything is fun, but you do a phone system every ten years, buy all new switches every ten years, update servers every three years if you’re lucky, upgrade exchange every five years...maybe you’ll be dragged into a facilities project like alarm systems, security cameras, or door access.

You have to hope for side projects that you can drag out for months. ERP systems, implementing things like HR or CRM software, that kind of poo poo.

But you almost always get stuck in a rut. A lot of companies don’t want to move to the cloud. So you’re stuck with on-prem systems. That AS/400 sticks around. Your skills start to deterioate.

You get flack for having a new job every three years but what else can you do?

I'm in this situation at my current job, I do everything. I've also been there for 10 years and it's really hampering my job search, I feel.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

We're going to find out!

Tell him, in no uncertain terms, to never come near your family again.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I love it when people manage to get IT systems into the workplace without telling me and then expect me to run around supporting them.

That'll be a big fat nope.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Pissing me off: C suite politics

I've gotten lucky enough in my career to do advisory work at that level pretty frequently for SME companies. And the one thing that always blows me away is how it is how often the dynamics are just as sophomoric (or way, way more) as any other group in an organization. I'd say I need to move on and get into really big dog enterprises to see how it's really done but I also sort of doubt it would make any difference.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The months long $250,000 AV project that I was not involved in is slowly coming to an end. I've been asking for documentation for two months, and what I just received is amateurish, sloppy, and written by someone who is obviously not fluent in English. It is a cornucopia of bad grammar, spelling mistakes, and bizarre formatting. (Ex: "Windows" is spelled "windos" over and over again.) I am not looking forward to having to teach people how to use this cumbersome, stupid beast of a system.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Our wonderful little company has no cert server for internal poo poo. It's not like it's THAT hard to set up. Boss finally agreed we need one after a bunch of software changes. It still hasn't even been started on as far as I know. :sigh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have two iPads at my desk that the maintenance department is going to end up using at some point to run WorxHub

Someone walks in our office, asks if we have any iPhone chargers. Boss comes over and grabs one of the iPad charger off my desk and gives it to her.

:rolleyes:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
And since you don't wear your mask at your desk :jerkbag:, you could have spread the virus onto the charger, and now your boss and colleague are at risk!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Well actually his boss already had coronavirus and probably gave it to Bob in the first place

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

I have two iPads at my desk that the maintenance department is going to end up using at some point to run WorxHub

Someone walks in our office, asks if we have any iPhone chargers. Boss comes over and grabs one of the iPad charger off my desk and gives it to her.

:rolleyes:

Taking bets on if the boss announced he was coming over and gave Bob the chance to mask up before coming into close physical proximity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Let's dial it back a notch. We've got the thread title and Bob has his nice new shiny red text. Bringing it up every time he posts in the thread isn't going to make for an enjoyable thread. Unless he wants to do something stupid and become a punching bag again, of course.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

My boss sent an email with our schedule for next week, with me at HQ.

Uh...yeah, don't think that's gonna work.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm so sick of AnyConnect and ASAs. God drat. Always stop working when it's least convenient.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

angry armadillo posted:

I'm between a rock and a hard place. In theory if people can work from home, they should. In practice, our place of work doesn't have a WFH culture at all so when genuine examples of people who could go home appear, management don't back it for fear of all the people that just accept the culture and sit there going "ner ner ner why did ~team member~ get a laptop" etc.
It's flabbergasting the amount of places I hear about that are still against the whole home working thing, while we had a major update that management were terribly sorry to say that we'll remain 100% WFH until July 2021.

As far as I'm aware everyone is totally on ball with getting on their work and taking things seriously, at most I've had to deal with one time waster who is already notorious for constantly loving around with his equipment anyway. And yet I had a LinkedIn head hunter talk to me about some Perforce admin job which was out of my commute comfort zone, and when I said it would pretty much have to be 100% remote with the odd visit because of the distance and commitments with my kids, it was met with "Yeah they want someone in the office at least 3 days a week" :hmmno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Earlier this week, our CFO volunteered to have the accounting department take calls for the most COVID-stricken wing of the building. Basically people calling to check in on their elderly family members or whatever.

So this involves taking the front desk in that area, all the outside calls, and forward those to a newly created ring group with a couple people from accounting in it. Internal calls still ring their front desk. Setup ringing limits, destinations for the calls to go to or ring back if nobody picks up. And then put this on a schedule from 8:30-4:30

Kind of a pain in the rear end to do, but not a huge deal, since we aren't in the phone system all that often.

Anyway, I get it all working, and then maybe 1 hour later I get the call. 'Undo it.'

I could have told you by the tone of voice on the accounting peoples voices when I made my test calls, that this wouldn't work.

I don't know how many calls came in but this kept them from being able to get any work done.