Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bholder posted:

Is Berseria worth getting if you never played Tales games before?

Absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Bholder posted:

Is Berseria worth getting if you never played Tales games before?

It's arguably the best overall tales game so absolutely.

Though, I think some individual games surpass it in specific areas. But they're either not available on modern systems or have a straight up flaw that keeps them from surpassing Berseria

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Berseria playable with M+KB? I don't have any means to play with a gamepad on my computer at the moment.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Berseria is def the best Tales game you can easily play atm. Graces F is the main competition (writing isn't as good combat is way better) but it's stranded on the PS3.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Berseria playable with M+KB? I don't have any means to play with a gamepad on my computer at the moment.

Probably not a good idea.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arzaac posted:

Yakuza 7 combat eventually gets pretty hard (especially if you haven't been doing a bunch of side content) but even at its hardest it's basically some Persona 5 combat of "use buffs hit weakness".

Except there's no way of checking what the weakness is when you're in battle lol

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
How good is Tales of Zestiria?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
good and tales of zestiria do not belong in the same sentence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nosthula posted:

It's incredibly bad. Combat is super unbalanced and has massive camera issues, the plot is incredibly unfinished, and even the parts of it that are finished are pretty poorly written. It has a few decent characters and some decent music but it's not worth playing.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Nosthula posted:

Watch the anime instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

good and tales of zestiria do not belong in the same sentence.

Tales of Zestiria is not good ohhh got you there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there's multiple scenes about how if you have depression you are a burden on society and need to be murdered

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nosthula posted:

Dogshit.

Astoundingly bad. Clearly underbudget, cut to hell, and a technical mess. But also every decision they made seems to have been wrong.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Sounds like a hard pass then. Thank you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

also there's multiple scenes about how if you have depression you are a burden on society and need to be murdered

This is literally the message the game sends out, Endorph is not exaggerating or having a laugh.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Endorph posted:

I'd love to hear the context for this because ha ha o wow

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's actually worse.

The message is that if you have depression and you can't bootstrap yourself out, death is a valid and even correct way to escape pain.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zestiria isn't even underbudget, it had one of the longest dev cycles of any tales game. they just wasted most of it on things that didn't work and had to be cut.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Leraika posted:

Depression and any mental problem/distress literally turns people to monsters that attack people iirc

So the game suggests that them dying is a net good

The game is bad

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Leraika posted:

Basically it takes place in a setting where "negative emotions" that you can't somehow "confront" turn you into monsters and cause natural disasters and poo poo, and you slaughter your way through a bunch of abused women and war-traumatized orphans while your party members tell the main character "there was nothing else you could do" and then at the end he learns that really killing them is a moral imperative because being a mental illness demon is suffering and it's his responsibility to release them from their torment.

Also, it is literally a thing that if the main character ever self-reflects or regrets any decision he's made for a second, the world ends.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the plot of zestiria is enough of a mess that the anime basically retcons literally all of it into something completely different

the x is still kinda awkward and messy but. it doesn't think killing people is good.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Leraika posted:

Negative emotions create monsters and warp reality so if you're depressed (or angry) and can't stop being depressed then the ethical thing to is to kill yourself for the sake of everyone else. Doing otherwise is cowardly and selfish.

That's roughly how it goes from memory.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
However despite the whole game being about how suicidal ideation is valid, at the end of the game a character actually literally begs the party to end her and rather than doing anything one way or the other they just walk away and leave her sobbing on the ground.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite part of zestiria is how one of your party members is an assassin, but she's a morally good assassin because she only kills people that she thinks might be bad. this makes her pure of heart and a good person

the anime rewrites this so that her killing people she thinks are bad, is a bad thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a message that would have really clicked with me before my introduction to cbt

edit: cognitive behavioral therapy, not cock and ball torture. the latter's just for fun.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Basically it's the tattered shreds of a game thrown together into something that is complete nonsense on its face and gets worse the more you think about it.

It's not that great as a game, either, the dungeons are bad and the combat is broken.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zestiria is the hardest you will ever see a series completely reject the entire script of one of its own major entries via its own prequel and adaptation into other media

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think one problem I have with Yakuza 7's combat is I'm not sure what each job is going for. Like it's really just they either do physical or magic damage.

Adachi's detective job for instance I thought could have it's taunt and counter ability for like tanking but status effects seem really iffy on triggering.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My favourite part in Zestiria is the weird way that combat is about the relationship between a man and a woman the human and the...ugh I don't remember the terms, but basically a spirit. So with four party members, you have two humans and two spirits, always. If a human leaves your party but you have two other spirits with you? You're down to two party members in combat, tough poo poo. Go through this dungeon now.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Tales of Zestiria was one of the most aggressively bland RPGs I've played in recent memory. The hero is the definition of boy-scout anime boy and the rest of the cast is boring as well. The combat seemed overwhelming and nonsensical but I just mashed buttons and won most of the time.

I never got close to finishing it.

Also, they used a sound loop for background noise in the cities that was supposed to be generic chatter but I swear there was a very audible "I love their armor" and I couldn't ignore it. There were multiple cutscenes in cities and I keep hearing this doofus say "I love their armor" in the background over and over again.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

My favourite part in Zestiria is the weird way that combat is about the relationship between a man and a woman the human and the...

Legit the only interesting thing about Zestiria is that Sorey was gay with the water spirit guy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zestiria has great party members, in things other than zestiria itself

rose is a fun character when she's in anything that isn't the original script of zestiria, edna is fun when she isn't basically being bent to fit zestiria's plot progression, zaveid is zaveid

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Depression and any mental problem/distress literally turns people to monsters that attack people iirc

So the game suggests that them dying is a net good

The game is bad

A Sometimes Food posted:

Negative emotions create monsters and warp reality so if you're depressed (or angry) and can't stop being depressed then the ethical thing to is to kill yourself for the sake of everyone else. Doing otherwise is cowardly and selfish.

That's roughly how it goes from memory.

Caphi posted:

Basically it takes place in a setting where "negative emotions" that you can't somehow "confront" turn you into monsters and cause natural disasters and poo poo, and you slaughter your way through a bunch of abused women and war-traumatized orphans while your party members tell the main character "there was nothing else you could do" and then at the end he learns that really killing them is a moral imperative because being a mental illness demon is suffering and it's his responsibility to release them from their torment.

Also, it is literally a thing that if the main character ever self-reflects or regrets any decision he's made for a second, the world ends.

wow I'm so glad I never even considered playing this game, christ

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leraika posted:

on the other hand it gave us berseria, whose plot pretty much revolves around rebuking whatever wack-rear end philosophy zestiria presented, with great success

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I am intensely curious as to what Lailah (and some of Edna's) endless pun sprees were in Japanese. Mikleo getting fed up at the butt puns from Edna is one of the more memorable skits.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Even the lore of Zestiria seems unfinished; characters talk about the mythical legend of the last messiah figure like he was around hundreds of years ago and his great deeds are totally lost to time, but then you later learned this poo poo happened 10-20 years ago

Leraika posted:

Another thing to add is that there is a side quest where you encounter a super powerful negative emotion energy dragon and the party is like “hey, maybe we should look for a way to cure this person!”

The entire game goes by, none of this poo poo gets brought up again, and that party never actually even begins to investigate a cure.

You go back to the dragon near the end of the game and is like “welp, i guess we have no choice but to murder this dragon”

All of this goes *profoundly* different in the anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's not just a sidequest, that is the entire resolution to a party member's character arc

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
At least Zesteria had a pretty rad opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75SiQg2Bek

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's one of my favourite Tales openings, shame its attached to Zesteria.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

I think one problem I have with Yakuza 7's combat is I'm not sure what each job is going for. Like it's really just they either do physical or magic damage.

Adachi's detective job for instance I thought could have it's taunt and counter ability for like tanking but status effects seem really iffy on triggering.

Its an endemic thing to the skills where you get better versions of them later that proc more regularly, but the xp curve is such that you won't be getting those better variants until the very endgame.

Like difficulty wise the first ~10 chapters and last 3 are different games because the last three can finally expect your skills to have become reliably useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i only think white light is okay. the song is good but as an opening it doesn't really fit the game

abyss, legendia and innocence have cooler ops