Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Tabletop Simulator using Pokerstars physics/environments seems like an app that's RIGHT THERE.

Make the tabletop free with some basic stuff and sell packs of models for various games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I really don't get the appeal of these ILMxLAB releases. I mean, they're fine when the whole experience is 15-20 minutes and it's part of an on-site attraction, but at $25 and a bit over two hours hours they're too short and empty to feel worth the money, but too long and involved to have the quick-fix appeal of a theme park ride.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you buy a cross-buy game on the Quest, can you do multiplayer vs someone using a Rift at the same time? Thinking about getting Walkabout Mini Golf but only if I can do multiplayer that way.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sethsez posted:

I really don't get the appeal of these ILMxLAB releases. I mean, they're fine when the whole experience is 15-20 minutes and it's part of an on-site attraction, but at $25 and a bit over two hours hours they're too short and empty to feel worth the money, but too long and involved to have the quick-fix appeal of a theme park ride.

At least they are evolving the formula, in two more games it should be a real game :P

And yeah, also too expensive for me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

iron buns posted:

From discord:

hahaha outside of "gently caress Facebook" for giving a voice to idiots like this, how in any way is this a "marxist" removal? It's hyper-captitalism my guy, you should be cheering!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Communist Thoughts posted:

tabletop sim really doesn't work well in VR

its so sad because when i turned around and saw all my warhammer armies on the table in front of me i was so goddamn excited, but its REALLY badly implemented
i actually thought theyd just never bothered to try but apparently there was a VR patch in 2019 so this is what it's like AFTER improvement

it's jank and terrible and since you lack any sense of detailed control its impossible to engage with it in any meaningful way

but it's great to boot up with some flat screeners and dick around for 45 min. you can turn yourself into the size of an atom and puke when you get 5 million marbles dumped on you in a slideshow

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

iron buns posted:

From discord:

lmao

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

iron buns posted:

From discord:

until we know for certain what the process is behind the velvet curtain, I am choosing to believe this crazy man from the internet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Penpal posted:

until we know for certain what the process is behind the velvet curtain, I am choosing to believe this crazy man from the internet.

I’m gonna use my personal discretion and decline to escalate this person’s specific case, I think.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Would there be any sort of USB-A to C adapter that I would want to use for Link activities? I got a beefy cable from my Oculus guy but damned if my PC does C to C.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Warbird posted:

Would there be any sort of USB-A to C adapter that I would want to use for Link activities? I got a beefy cable from my Oculus guy but damned if my PC does C to C.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085ZYJWDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is what i used, and its not had any issues.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Heading out tonight to grab a link cable and Quest 2! Sorry for the basic questions, but I've got one more - should I be grabbing more graphically intensive games on the Oculus PC store or SteamVR? i've got a fairly beefy PC, for what its worth.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Heading out tonight to grab a link cable and Quest 2! Sorry for the basic questions, but I've got one more - should I be grabbing more graphically intensive games on the Oculus PC store or SteamVR? i've got a fairly beefy PC, for what its worth.

No difference, as far I can tell. From time to time I see someone saying the Oculus SDK is better so they prefer to buy it in the Oculus store but I think it's a mix of fanboyism and placebo effect.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Personally I just grab them on whichever storefront has the lower price. If being able to access the games on a non-Oculus headset in the future is super important to you, then probably best to buy on Steam. Presently you can play Oculus games on non-Oculus hardware with an app called ReVive, but that might not always be the case. Personally I don't care about that, because I can't imagine any of these early VR games being worth playing in a future where VR hasn't failed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Oculus SDK is absolutely more performant than SteamVR. It can make a big issue when you don't have a 1080 Ti or higher.

I usually buy my games on the Oculus store because I had a GTX 970 back when VR first came out and SteamVR was just unplayable for me. Because of that most of my library is on the Oculus store so I don't feel the need to split my library between Steam and Oculus. Plus, now that I have a Quest, I take advantage of cross-buy.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Nalin posted:

The Oculus SDK is absolutely more performant than SteamVR. It can make a big issue when you don't have a 1080 Ti or higher.

I usually buy my games on the Oculus store because I had a GTX 970 back when VR first came out and SteamVR was just unplayable for me. Because of that most of my library is on the Oculus store so I don't feel the need to split my library between Steam and Oculus. Plus, now that I have a Quest, I take advantage of cross-buy.

SteamVR is as far as I know not going to add additional GPU load in any way. Games control their rendering pipelines, SteamVR provides an API to access to all the data associated with the headset -- positions, timing data, display data, etc. Unless you mean the overlays.

You may still be correct that SteamVR is more performant than Oculus's API though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brownie posted:

SteamVR is as far as I know not going to add additional GPU load in any way.

I haven’t used it in a long time, but I was pretty sure it did image distortion to match the lenses as well as some time warp-alike. Both of those, and how they’re scheduled, can have noticeable performance impact.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Everyone, if you have the chance to play Paper Beast, take it.

I've played quite a bit of VR games but I haven't had anything touch me quite like this game has. If you are compassionate person and want to interact with what are essentially peaceful electronic aliens that somehow found life inside the code-soup of a future rhythm game, then please, check this out.

There is a cave in the first half hour of the game... inside the cave there is a huge, black cavern - so enormous, you cannot see it's edges. Inside is a raging storm. I can describe it better but I dunno, go see for yourself. I was transfixed. Every creature I have encountered has first given me a moment of pause, and then all apprehension fades away when I think of them as creatures.

anyway thank you please play the stealth From Dust sequel Paper Beasts please and thank you (again)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think I might go play Paper Beast.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyoneer posted:

Good news, Elite Dangerous is going to be free to keep starting tomorrow on the Epic Games Store until Nov 26th.

It's live now. Get your free copy of Elite Dangerous

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sethsez posted:

I agree that they're pricey, but they're so well done that I say just keep making them. Vader Immortal was awesome.

canyoneer posted:

It's live now. Get your free copy of Elite Dangerous

Is it only on Epic or Steam too?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

After the initial novelty wore off a bit, I am barely touching my Quest 2. Its a pain in the rear end to go put on my contacts, clear out my space, run through the steps to get virtual desktop working, etc.

Anyone else having their $400 worth of VR gear and games collecting dust already?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

blue squares posted:

After the initial novelty wore off a bit, I am barely touching my Quest 2. Its a pain in the rear end to go put on my contacts, clear out my space, run through the steps to get virtual desktop working, etc.

Anyone else having their $400 worth of VR gear and games collecting dust already?

I don’t think that’s exclusive to the Quest or anything. A crapload of people that buy VR get over it pretty quick and dip their toes in from time to time. I’ve probably spent more time reading this thread than actually wearing a VR headset and I’ve had mine for over a year.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

blue squares posted:

I go in bursts. I'll play VR almost exclusively for a few months, and then it gathers dust for half a year (except when friends want to try out Beat Saber or Richie's Plank). What steps do you have to take to get VD working? Mine always connects automatically.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Turns out it has a USB-C port hiding in the back that I had completely forgotten about, but I’ll probably pick that up anyway as we just got the Mrs. one of those new iPads what had the good ports.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

blue squares posted:

As said above, it's in bursts for me too. I had the initial wave of excitement when I bought my rift last year, and then it got pretty dusty until I started staying home all the time, and now it's heavy use for a few days and then a month or two off.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Penpal posted:

Everyone, if you have the chance to play Paper Beast, take it.

I've played quite a bit of VR games but I haven't had anything touch me quite like this game has. If you are compassionate person and want to interact with what are essentially peaceful electronic aliens that somehow found life inside the code-soup of a future rhythm game, then please, check this out.

There is a cave in the first half hour of the game... inside the cave there is a huge, black cavern - so enormous, you cannot see it's edges. Inside is a raging storm. I can describe it better but I dunno, go see for yourself. I was transfixed. Every creature I have encountered has first given me a moment of pause, and then all apprehension fades away when I think of them as creatures.

anyway thank you please play the stealth From Dust sequel Paper Beasts please and thank you (again)
I went in not really knowing what to expect and yeah it's pretty cool. Some really beautiful visuals too. Didn't realise it was connected to From Dust but that super makes sense given the sand and water mechanics.

Fake edit: oh poo poo Paper Beast and From Dust were from the Another World guy? That also extremely tracks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Fake edit: oh poo poo Paper Beast and From Dust were from the Another World guy? That also extremely tracks.

Oh drat, going to have to check this out now!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just fyi, it looks like you get PB: Folded Edition gratis if you buy PB, I think Folded Edition is just the game re-built for flat, so if you're only gonna be doing it in VR, you don't need to bother with that extra 4GB download. I didn't realize the difference until after it had decided to install Folded first.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

blue squares posted:

Steps to get Virtual Desktop working? I just keep the streamer app on 100% of the time and then it's just a matter of moving my chair and putting on the headset. But yeah, if you've got a lot of friction like moving a bunch of stuff to clear space (or in the past - having a wired setup) it makes VR much less alluring to put on regularly. The Quest 2 is nailing it for me. I play Beat Saber just about every night.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just got my Reverb G2 and god drat the picture quality is amazing, however the performance tanks when I try and run SteamVR through it. Has anyone else had this experience? I started getting flashbacks to this when I had another WMR headset and it made me realize why I didn't stick with WMR.

Honestly the clarity is so good I'd stop using my Index if SteamVR worked without issue.

edit: now I'm getting black screen issues like I was before, WMR just isn't it I guess.

sigher fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 20, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

So uh.. anyone got any feedback?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Leal posted:

So uh.. anyone got any feedback?

Boobs VR 4 is the best in the series, but you have to play the first three to understand the plot

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A new Myst-like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDT493x3FNw

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.oculus.com/blog/were-celebrating-links-birthday-by-giving-away-asgards-wrath-to-new-quest-2-buyers/

And to celebrate Link’s first birthday, we’re giving away a gift to kickstart the experience for new users*. From November 20 through January 31, anyone who activates a new Quest 2 and then uses it with a Link cable will get Asgard’s Wrath, one of our top PC VR titles, for free. Just make sure you have the Oculus PC App installed, use any Link-compatible cable (whether Oculus or third-party) to connect a newly activated Quest 2, and then check your Rift library to download the title at no cost.
*Valid on activation of a new Oculus Quest 2 VR headset (64 GB or 256 GB) (“Qualifying Product”) between 11/20/2020 12:00:00 AM PT and 1/31/2020 11:59:59 PM PT or while supplies last.

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.
Has anyone heard of the Game Development World Championship? They have a handful of VR games this round and apparently I'm repping Canada with Stacksquatch: https://thegdwc.com/

If you feel like supporting your local goon VR dev I would also really appreciate your vote <_< Polls close today! Also, I'm the only solo dev so it's a real underdog story.

And here's a picture of a bunch of cute cryptids to hide that this is thinly veiled self-promotion

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/were-celebrating-links-birthday-by-giving-away-asgards-wrath-to-new-quest-2-buyers/

And to celebrate Link’s first birthday, we’re giving away a gift to kickstart the experience for new users*. From November 20 through January 31, anyone who activates a new Quest 2 and then uses it with a Link cable will get Asgard’s Wrath, one of our top PC VR titles, for free. Just make sure you have the Oculus PC App installed, use any Link-compatible cable (whether Oculus or third-party) to connect a newly activated Quest 2, and then check your Rift library to download the title at no cost.
*Valid on activation of a new Oculus Quest 2 VR headset (64 GB or 256 GB) (“Qualifying Product”) between 11/20/2020 12:00:00 AM PT and 1/31/2020 11:59:59 PM PT or while supplies last.

So because I bought one at launch I get to go gently caress myself? Nice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bigsteve posted:

So because I bought one at launch I get to go gently caress myself? Nice.

Yep. It's... lovely. Maybe if people complains they will change the start date up to the launch date. :/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

L O L
O
L

(I guess the AI thought they were guns?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
You aren't allowed to have a picture with a gun in it? That's so bizarre, I have some at a gun range from highschool, guess I need to go purge those before I lose my account. The state of California and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.