Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

raid stuff isn't sunset, so not all weapons and armor from the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Kinda been wanting to get back into this lately, is the expansion worth the coin for a primarily PvE person?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Can anyone confirm if stasis is actually healing overload champs unintentionally since it freezes their action cycles?

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

New patch is way better than I was expecting considering how soon it will hit. At least then we'll be able to use whatever in strikes. Still feels really bad about shadowkeep gear but, I just don't expect any big changes until later.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

Kinda been wanting to get back into this lately, is the expansion worth the coin for a primarily PvE person?
If you're stuck in the house it's a bunch more stuff to do. And if you have to do any PVP at all you probably want to use Stasis right now

Roman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 19, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Xenolalia posted:

Still feels really bad about shadowkeep gear but, I just don't expect any big changes until later.
The question is does crafting stuff fit in with what they want sunsetting to be. Like maybe make a way to make stuff that starts its "sunset timer" during the season you craft it in

Or maybe just dump the Lectern armor crafting stuff altogether and let you access the Pyramid some other way. No more making goofy moon armor and guns at all

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I remember this game used to have cool looking guns?
Now they look like cheap bits of pipe awkwardly stuck together?

https://www.light.gg/db/items/4037745684/bonechiller/
https://www.light.gg/db/items/1197486957/high-albedo/
https://www.light.gg/db/items/3512349612/coriolis-force/

This game really is a disappointment-generating engine, isn't it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The new guns have a lot more idle animations which I guess is neat.

Only part of the gun I ever look at is the crosshairs anyways. :shrug:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Roman posted:

If you're stuck in the house it's a bunch more stuff to do. And if you have to do any PVP at all you probably want to use Stasis right now

Yeah I got next to no interest in PvP these days, but it seems this expansion revolves around my two favorite characters so I'm pondering it a bit more than I thought I would.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I got next to no interest in PvP these days, but it seems this expansion revolves around my two favorite characters so I'm pondering it a bit more than I thought I would.
Just keep in mind that it's bigger than Shadowkeep but definitely not as big as Forsaken.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sample_text posted:

They sound phenomenal though. Thermal Erosion and the new Kinetic Pulse are both really, really enjoyable to fire.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sample_text posted:

Hey do not disparage my Tonka Truck rear end video game guns.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eej posted:

Shoulder charges are almost universally better as movement abilities than actual melee attacks.

Yep, died a lot trying to get shoulders off. It's great if you run across an unaware player, like in an ambush around a corner or someone preoccupied by another player, but if they spot you before you get into charging range you're dead.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

T1g4h posted:

They sound phenomenal though. Thermal Erosion and the new Kinetic Pulse are both really, really enjoyable to fire.

Lol its true. Very satisfying

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Stasis PvP is fun, part 2

https://i.imgur.com/uvS3byr.mp4

AAB posted:

Can anyone confirm if stasis is actually healing overload champs unintentionally since it freezes their action cycles?

Yes, Esoterickk (the insane solo challenge guy) had it in a BL tips & tricks video.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using Severence Enclosure lately because I needed a new gimmick. Recalled that on release it was pure garbage, apparently at some point over the past several months the explosion effect now triggers on any powered melee strike. It's okay. Combined with bottom tree sunbreaker its quite fun because you can sun warrior your way into a shorter melee cooldown with half a room on fire.

Kind of the opposite of Synthoceps where you want to punch the big ones first, you now want to punch something smaller to make everything evaporate.

Doesn't replace any of the usual exotic good options for Titan but it's variation at least. Worthless if you're using stasis though, whether by oversight or design.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
I accidentally abandoned a fragment quest thinking I could choose another one instead of doing Gambit, looks like I'm only unlocking 1 fragment this week.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Capn Beeb posted:

As someone who had previously burned out on Destiny and Bungie's seemingly infinite capacity for bad decisions, forever quitting Shadowkeep after a few days, and only bought--or even looked at--Beyond Light because a friend was specifically wanting to pick it up and try Destiny again, I've enjoyed it.

Beyond Light doesn't fix any of the game's myriad problems, and in botching sunsetting and adding new class builds that do heavy CC in PvP Bungie has created new problems. As well of course once you run out of the campaign and mission content it's back to grinding bounties and poo poo, as Destiny ever was, but within the very narrow context of Destiny 2 expansions, it's good.

Forsaken was bigger so far, but Beyond Light is prettier and Europa is the best destination yet imo

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Capn Beeb posted:

Almost all of the content is PvE related. And, I think it's pretty great. I just finished my light level grind in prep for the raid, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, seeing all the datamines and leaks so far, there is a lot more coming for PvE play, so i would say that is worth it if you are treating it as a game you play through the story and consume the post-game content for, but don't dive into grinding.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What was the point of leaving activision other than actively making the game worse but getting all of the money?

Also new gambit is trash. Prime was way better. Apparent Destiny plays can't into anything harder than "shoot".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sample_text posted:

https://twitter.com/apsisprops/status/1328376137190354945?s=21

Also the raid weapons look amazing are you blind

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/apsisprops/status/1328376137190354945?s=21

Also the raid weapons look amazing are you blind

Hmm now I'm really tempted to find a shader that can turn them into Milwaukee tools.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DrNutt posted:

Hmm now I'm really tempted to find a shader that can turn them into Milwaukee tools.

https://twitter.com/ApsisProps/status/1328718092499890178?s=19

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBX posted:

What was the point of leaving activision other than actively making the game worse but getting all of the money?

Activision was just going to put out a garbage tier annual pass (the Y3 seasonal content was pre-planned... and yes, it Worthy would have been Worthy), with no Shadowkeep content as Activision wanted Bungie to stop work on D2, period. Beyond Light would have been Destiny 3, and would have been a full reset of the sandbox like Destiny 2 was.

Basically, it would have been exactly what we got, just worse in every way. Instead of sunsetting, all the stuff would have been deleted.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RocketRaygun posted:

Activision was just going to put out a garbage tier annual pass (the Y3 seasonal content was pre-planned... and yes, it Worthy would have been Worthy), with no Shadowkeep content as Activision wanted Bungie to stop work on D2, period. Beyond Light would have been Destiny 3, and would have been a full reset of the sandbox like Destiny 2 was.

Basically, it would have been exactly what we got, just worse in every way. Instead of sunsetting, all the stuff would have been deleted.

but without sunsetting, the new loot wouldn’t come with a hardcoded expiration date

we might even have more than a couple of machine guns to choose from

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

How is any of that bad.

You guys support sunsetting bit somehow a whole new game with a not lovely engine full of bugs and new armor and weapons and enemies is worse than the same mess with the same reskinned enemies and useless loot?

Our stuff wouldn't be "deleted" it's a new game. I dont understand what's so hard about that. Activision saw they can't reskin poo poo forever on this garbage engine and tried to make them actually make new stuff.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I mean, it would be the same poo poo as before. Reprinted D1 and D2 guns with whatever new perks they come up with.

Personally, I think its just the same thing but explained different. Activision didn't want to do expansions, so it was extremely likely that everything would just expire yearly anyway as they release whatever yearly Destiny game they are up to.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Fly Molo posted:

but without sunsetting, the new loot wouldn’t come with a hardcoded expiration date

we might even have more than a couple of machine guns to choose from

Yearly releases would be the hardcoded expiration. Activision wanted to do to Destiny what they did with Call of Duty. Yearly releases.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RBX posted:

How is any of that bad.

You guys support sunsetting bit somehow a whole new game with a not lovely engine full of bugs and new armor and weapons and enemies is worse than the same mess with the same reskinned enemies and useless loot?

because why do you think any of that would happen

like why do you think it'd be new enemies. why do you think there'd be no bugs.

and a big part of the vaulting is so they can start updating things to their new engine, which apparently has already started paying off

or like, bungie's already struggling making content, how are they gonna do a full game's worth?

ps. sunsetting sucks and is dumb

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Yeah, I'm not defending sunsetting at all. I'm just saying you'd have literally the same thing as sunsetting, except exotics would be included and you have to pay $60 for the pleasure of having everything removed.

Is the current system good? gently caress no. This sucks. Is the current system better than what Activision wanted to? absolutely yes. Yearly Destiny releases (or every other year releases) would have been awful.

Also, Activision didn't abandon this plan. They did exactly what they were going to do, and put VV and High Moon on Call of Duty games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calus Du'uty

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

RBX posted:

How is any of that bad.

You guys support sunsetting

WHO?! I WANT NAMES!

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

sunsetting is soft coded just like the loot pool

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sunsetting is a cool idea but only if they carry through on making the new guns actually desirable. There's some interesting guns this season but there's no felwinter's lie or NF in there.

So that part of sunsetting is pretty lame.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xzzy posted:

Sunsetting is a cool idea but only if they carry through on making the new guns actually desirable. There's some interesting guns this season but there's no felwinter's lie or NF in there.

So that part of sunsetting is pretty lame.

In short: the new guns are worse than the old guns. But now we have to use them! I’m so glad we avoided power creep: aka powerful new guns that feel great and are worth chasing. :v:

There’s no point introducing sunsetting if your new guns feel better than the old guns: it’s redundant. Sunsetting is only useful if the new guns are mediocre, or crappier than the old guns, or if you want to force people to keep grinding for the same old gnawing hunger.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

Yeah, I'm not defending sunsetting at all. I'm just saying you'd have literally the same thing as sunsetting, except exotics would be included and you have to pay $60 for the pleasure of having everything removed.

Is the current system good? gently caress no. This sucks. Is the current system better than what Activision wanted to? absolutely yes. Yearly Destiny releases (or every other year releases) would have been awful.

Also, Activision didn't abandon this plan. They did exactly what they were going to do, and put VV and High Moon on Call of Duty games.

I was under the assumption they'd still have help.

Mazerunner posted:

because why do you think any of that would happen

like why do you think it'd be new enemies. why do you think there'd be no bugs.

and a big part of the vaulting is so they can start updating things to their new engine, which apparently has already started paying off

or like, bungie's already struggling making content, how are they gonna do a full game's worth?

ps. sunsetting sucks and is dumb

I'd assume better of them like any other developer? I see no difference in their engine currently. If they can't do basic things everybody expects like you guys say then whatever. It's a lost cause.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The engine changes are all background stuff to make developing easier for them and you shouldn't be noticing an in game difference.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I definitely haven't noticed them having an easier time developing new content lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Activision wanted Bungie churning out a Forsaken size expansion every fall with a Destiny numbered sequel every 3rd Fall. Annual content would be in line with BA, JW, Opulence.

Bungie said no because they don't do crunch time and wanted to develop the game in house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It definitely got a bit prettier didn't it? Or am I just seeing poo poo since Europa?