Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oscar Wild posted:

If I just buy 1 picross game now, which one should it be?

S3. It's the cheapest one that includes both colour and mega puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mega64 posted:

There's plenty of hints and helpful features to assist you, though the S series do have No Assist puzzles to challenge you occasionally.

As for where to start, any of them are fine, though as they release they add more stuff.

S1 - 150 Regular and 150 Mega (combines the clues of two rows, but re-uses the puzzles from Regular).
S2 - 150 Regular, 150 Mega, and 5 Clip (a bunch of various-sized puzzles that combine to form one massive image).
S3 - 150 Regular, 150 Mega, 5 Clip, and 30 Color (there are multiple colors to fill in)
S4 - 150 Regular, 150 Mega, 5 Clip, 30 Color, 5 Extra (super-large puzzles, three of which require owning one each of S1/S2/S3 to unlock)

Sound like I should just get the whole diggity-dang collection

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

minya posted:

all right I'm definitely too dumb for Picross. well, at least I know
Don't sell yourself short.

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1309009011568672770

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oscar Wild posted:

If I just buy 1 picross game now, which one should it be?

Picross DS

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The best picross is picross 3d: round 2, on 3ds

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Anything less than 9/10 or 10/10 isn't worth my Gamer Time :reject:

This is true because reviewers score systems are trash

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Morter posted:

Sound like I should just get the whole diggity-dang collection

Worked out well for me!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is true because reviewers score systems are trash

Incorrect, time and worth are meaningless concepts and all that matters is your enjoyment.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

okay THIS is my speed

(lol, this did actually help me understand the concept a little bit more)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't like Mega. It just doesn't click for me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Walla posted:

I don’t do the mega puzzles because they’re the same puzzles but with a few lines combined. I get why they do it, because 99% of the people who play these games take months to finish, not like a week, so the puzzles aren’t fresh in their minds

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Your Computer posted:

it's me, the zelda lover, excited for musou flavor

:same:

Never played a musou but the demo was a blast and I’ll always take more BOTW lore

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Martman posted:

Seems like a significant majority of Age of Calamity reviews are right around the 80-90% range, I don't see the problem even if you do care about dumb scores.

I'm dumb and I posted when only a handful of outlets had reviewed including a 6/10. I ended up pre ordering it. That keychain is now a stocking stuffer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Walla posted:

He's a really good poster :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

:same:

Never played a musou but the demo was a blast and I’ll always take more BOTW lore

The only other Warriors game I've played is HyWar and I loved the poo poo out of it. So hype for BotWarriors!

I tried FEW as well but didn't like it, even though I love me some Fire Emblem.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

I don’t do the mega puzzles because they’re the same puzzles but with a few lines combined. I get why they do it, because 99% of the people who play these games take months to finish, not like a week, so the puzzles aren’t fresh in their minds

If they're carbon copies of the regular puzzles then that's even worse. For some reason I can't grasp the logic behind the Mega puzzles. Like I don't get how they're supposed to work despite doing several tutorials on them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Heh.

Also even though I only had them on the 3DS--which might explain biases, I didn't care for Hyrule Warriors even though I beat it, and I love love loved Fire Emblem Warriors, and i'm no major fan of either IP, I just like Musou games. I was very close to re-getting Fire Emblem Warriors on switch just so I can see it on a big screen and have many more dudes on screen even portable, but that might be overkill, considering I'd have to rebuy the DLC too

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wonder how Ring Fit I'll get. Played for about an hour and a half and worked up quite a sweat. I'm fairly sedentary. Less than 10k steps a day.

Seems fun though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Poque posted:

He's a really good poster :(

I disagree

As for Mega Picross, it really depends. A lot of people don't like it, and that's fair and you're not really missing out since they're the same puzzles as regular, but some like the extra challenge.

I like Mega but I've also fully completed all four Picross games so far with No Assists so I'm more on the fanatic end.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 19, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also I finally got some more Phoenotopia: Awakening in and I'm really charmed by the story and presentation. I really feel so far that this is the spiritual successor to Cave Story, with the same kind of bittersweet tone (though slightly less dark in tone than CS was) and with the same kind of humor and earnestness. And a lot more gameplay systems, of course.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Walla posted:

If they're carbon copies of the regular puzzles then that's even worse. For some reason I can't grasp the logic behind the Mega puzzles. Like I don't get how they're supposed to work despite doing several tutorials on them.

Yeah I was the same way. They have specific rules you have to learn, once it clicks though it makes sense. So if you're inclined I'd recommend to keep trying

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I respect the urge to play age of calamity just for more botw lore but lucky for me I'm still playing through it for the first time and living in a world of wonder and aerial bombing heavy duty environmental vandalism

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Any advice on Bowser throws in Mario 64 is appreciated (specifically Bowser in the Sky, final fight)
I have no trouble getting him the first two times when I can get Bowser very close to the bombs but the third time when I have to both aim and long throw him has been really messing me up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Any advice on Bowser throws in Mario 64 is appreciated (specifically Bowser in the Sky, final fight)
I have no trouble getting him the first two times when I can get Bowser very close to the bombs but the third time when I have to both aim and long throw him has been really messing me up

Don't anticipate momentum, the throw is an immediate straight direction

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

The Bloop posted:

Don't anticipate momentum, the throw is an immediate straight direction

Like my camera view dictates where bowser's going to go when hes spinning very fast?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Like my camera view dictates where bowser's going to go when hes spinning very fast?

no it's based on where Mario is facing when you press the button, I would just press the button a fraction of a second before you think you're supposed to, that helped me out a lot

e: in other words I would try to hit the button to throw bowser when I thought mario was facing 90 degrees away from where I was supposed to throw him, not because there's momentum but because by the time I actually physically pressed the button mario would have spun another 90 degrees. he spins real fast

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 19, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wonder how Ring Fit I'll get. Played for about an hour and a half and worked up quite a sweat. I'm fairly sedentary. Less than 10k steps a day.

Seems fun though.

I’ve been using it for about a month now and it’s really good. I think it’s more difficult when you’re just starting off because you do more running in it but as it goes on the exercises switch to more leg and arm based workouts.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm practically at the start of BotW and while I don't wanna spoil anything, I"m not a big Zelda fan so I don't mind too terribly. The experience i'm looking for is open world shenanigans/survival and so far I'm having a blast.

It's also way too anxiety/stress inducing than I expected :ohdear:

Still, there's some levity.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I believe you get a rumble when bowser is in line with a bomb, you may find it helpful to time the throw to that

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Anyone know when Age of Calamity is gonna unlock?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm sort of approaching the end game of botw and I only just bothered to interact with the horse mechanic BC I have the typical goon seething hatred of horses both irl living in spelling country and as a gameplay feature. It's actually not super obnoxious and I wish I'd used it for hunting earlier because horse archery feels really good with motion controls

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Teratrain posted:

I woke up and it was available local time Friday 8 am so presumably if it isn't unlocked in your region already that's a good bet I reckon

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Teratrain posted:

By my research, it'd apparently unlock 12 AM/midnight EST, thus in 5 hours and 15 minutes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I have the typical goon seething hatred of horses both irl living in spelling country and as a gameplay feature.

I think you might be overestimating a consensus opinion on horses

Also, lol, this is the second incredibly weird take on BotW in as many days, after some guy in GBS was complaining about the climbing mechanic making the gameworld too effortless to navigate

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think you might be overestimating a consensus opinion on horses

Women with more than one horse picture in their dating profile? :hmmno:

Riding horses in BotW? :hmmyes:

Nuance!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I hope the horse in BotW2 can go up walls.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also, lol, this is the second incredibly weird take on BotW in as many days, after some guy in GBS was complaining about the climbing mechanic making the gameworld too effortless to navigate

I don't understand why my take is weird since I liked it in botw and horses are literally elves irl or how this other dude managed to avoid rainfall the second he tried to scale literally anything

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I woke up and it was available local time Friday 8 am so presumably if it isn't unlocked in your region already that's a good bet I reckon

Morter posted:

By my research, it'd apparently unlock 12 AM/midnight EST, thus in 5 hours and 15 minutes.

Thanks guys.

Just checked out of curiosity and looks like it popped at midnight UK time. Looks like it's time for some pre-bed musou!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm sort of approaching the end game of botw and I only just bothered to interact with the horse mechanic BC I have the typical goon seething hatred of horses both irl living in spelling country and as a gameplay feature. It's actually not super obnoxious and I wish I'd used it for hunting earlier because horse archery feels really good with motion controls

oh man the motion control aiming is so good. between that and i think Splatoon 2 it's really hosed me up for any shooting mechanic that doesn't use the gyroscole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lmao goddammit my game store got my copy of AoC today and told me I could swing by tonight for it if I wanted, and I have to work until well after they’re closed :eng99:

Muscle Tracer posted:

oh man the motion control aiming is so good. between that and i think Splatoon 2 it's really hosed me up for any shooting mechanic that doesn't use the gyroscole.

Same, I can’t shoot for poo poo using a joystick anymore :downs: