Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

nwin posted:

How hard would it be to set up an emu server on my laptop so I could just create a toon with crazy stats and go through all the old zones? I always get nostalgic with this game but with a toddler and another one on the way, I have zero time to gently caress with classic poo poo.

http://www.ulftek.com/eqscout/

This might be useful for you. It doesn't have mobs but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nwin posted:

How hard would it be to set up an emu server on my laptop so I could just create a toon with crazy stats and go through all the old zones? I always get nostalgic with this game but with a toddler and another one on the way, I have zero time to gently caress with classic poo poo.

I've done it before, its not hard at all but you'll need to set up a local database so that can be a little tricky if you've never done it before. Also not sure if they distribute binaries or if you'll need to compile yourself.

You won't even need crazy stats, on a private server you can turn yourself GM mode and all NPCs will ignore you

There also used to be a cool EQ map viewer program but I have no idea where it is and doubtless its not been maintained

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

nwin posted:

It is relatively trivial. They even have a "self-installer:"
https://eqemu.gitbook.io/server/categories/installation/server-installation-windows

The major issue you'll run into with the generic install is I believe nektulos, lavastorm, and highhold will all be the "new" zones on the default installation. If you're not longing for those particular zones you're good.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

nwin posted:

I did this last year. If you look through my posts in this thread, I think I had some links to this software.

I had a solid 2 to 3 weeks of fun with it.

Edit. Here's the info.

moolchaba posted:

I finally did it. I wanted my own EQ server so I could just alter items and power myself through stuff and visit zones I've never been in. Just to mess around till I grow bored with it.

There's a pretty easy setup for ProjectEQ for doing a basic self server, and then there are some other extra steps if you want to be able to easily edit zones/items/spells/etc with their database editor website.

This is for the server part: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki/Windows-Server

This is for the game files and setup for those: http://www.projecteq.net/forums/index.php?threads/setup-guide-how-to-play.15184/

This is the website to remotely access your server database and easily edit items/spells/etc: http://eoc.akkadius.com/EOC2/index.php

I simply edited the basic staff to have some crazy stats and included a proc for complete heal for my gnome shadownight. He's level 9 and owning things. it's sorta goofy fun. I'm sure it will grow boring, but it's a blast for a few weeks at least.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 9, 2020

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
TAKP also has a development server that you could level 60ify yourself on and give yourself uber gear and trawl around some zones. Some expacks are disabled though . licking maybe? To prevent people from using it for practicing raid targets. Also just play TAKP because it's cool and good and im lonely :colbert:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

is there a good way to get actually usable third-person camera on TAKP? modern MMO camera handling has ruined the old eq clients for me

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

blatman posted:

is there a good way to get actually usable third-person camera on TAKP? modern MMO camera handling has ruined the old eq clients for me

It’s a meme when you first log in to the server to be disappointed when you ask about using mouse wheel to zoom the 3rd person camera. P99 is such an abomination of hacked eqemu + titanium client it’s really broken most of our concept of what the game was actually like 2 decades ago.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cmdrk posted:

TAKP also has a development server that you could level 60ify yourself on and give yourself uber gear and trawl around some zones. Some expacks are disabled though . licking maybe? To prevent people from using it for practicing raid targets. Also just play TAKP because it's cool and good and im lonely :colbert:

Thanks-I used to use TAKP for a while...I first was on EQMac which I think turned into TAKP? I tried TAKP but I was never interested in boxing...this was before kids when I had time to grind out this stupid game.

Auto level 60 sounds fun and most of the heavy lifting is done, but I’ll still have people coming after me. Could just do a necro so I have FD ready.

Moolchaba’s idea sounds great. Just give myself a short sword of Uberness and kill everything.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

blatman posted:

Sadly no. Only the F9 camera is supported by the titanium client. Rogean and his cronies don't know the meaning of true classic!

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
I'm attempting moolchaba's server as well. Just wanna explore the maps and bonk some gnolls

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

oof, I guess second question - I don't care if the camera swivels around my dude but I never found a way to both shoot it way far back or make mouselook faster when using the f9 behind-the-head 3rd person, is there a solution to this?

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

blatman posted:

oof, I guess second question - I don't care if the camera swivels around my dude but I never found a way to both shoot it way far back or make mouselook faster when using the f9 behind-the-head 3rd person, is there a solution to this?

Play exclusively in 1st-person like the good lord intended

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

cmdrk posted:

Just spent all night messing around on the TAKP dev server. It's pretty great. Only negative is that you can't do #kill mobs or keep yourself permanently full health, although you might be able to effectively do that by just summoning the right clickies over and over.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
also I have no idea why my phone corrected Luclin to "licking", but it's staying that way.

BTW- if anyone wanted to get started on TAKP for real, ping me in the thread or Meatza in game for a newb infusion to make the first 10 levels not absolute hell. also prob have some cash for people playing on P1999 blue because I don't play there anymore.

some guilds like Azure Guard box P1999 and TAKP simultaneously I believe. level up your neckbearditude!

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 9, 2020

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

retpocileh posted:

Just spent all night messing around on the TAKP dev server. It's pretty great. Only negative is that you can't do #kill mobs or keep yourself permanently full health, although you might be able to effectively do that by just summoning the right clickies over and over.

FWIW, from:
http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Dev_Server_Access

You can summon Mithaniel's Defense for a clicky heal:

quote:

#si 9450

- Summons Mithaniel's Defense, an instant cast, usable from inventory healing item.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Fyodorovich posted:

Play exclusively in 1st-person like the good lord brad intended

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fyodorovich posted:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Fyodorovich posted:

I refuse to play in third person and furthermore I will never use the mouse to move or look, only numpad

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

cmdrk posted:

also prob have some cash for people playing on P1999 blue because I don't play there anymore.

I am always cash poor and am not above taking handouts.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cmdrk posted:

Ended up doing this today and it scratches the itch enough.

Kinda sucks I need to summon items each time I login but once I get some macros going it's not too bad. Just gotta figure out zone names, etc.

edit: scratch that. I thought the summons items would be no rent, but they aren't. nice!

Now just to get a zone list...

Edit2: https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/zones.php is the zones

This scratched the itch fine for me. Only other thing I wish is if I had some kinda god mode where I couldn’t get stunned and move about freely. However I could probably just make an ogre character with the GM Uber Sword and that should work well enough.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 10, 2020

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

blatman posted:

Yeah there are two different programs that people use you can find the easier to use one at https://www107.zippyshare.com/v/p5xnQTqR/file.html. One is just a program that runs in the background the other you will need to know how to .dll inject so I only included the application one.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 10, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I actually just messed with eqclient settings and the f9 camera zoomed out works better than I remembered after some settings fuckery, i'm not sure when i'm gonna give this a whirl but i'm definitely giving this a proper whirl

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

cmdrk posted:

also prob have some cash for people playing on P1999 blue because I don't play there anymore

I'm gonna scratch my nostalgia itch over the holidays with blue again and am accepting any and all goonerosity.

Also looking for an invite to Unknown Guild if it's still around. Gonna be in the tunnel all day on Hastos.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
gave ~600p from Haughty to Hexel. I will have to rummage through my accounts and see if i have any other coinage Pratan.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

so slightly more derail regarding that TAKProject server - I tried to get zlizeqmap working with the luclin map pack but even after I jammed the maps into the proper folder it isn't picking up luclin zones, it looks like the problem is that the "ZoneData- The Al'Kabor Project" file doesn't have the luclin listings for anything but shar vahl and shadeweavers, can anyone that has this working just copy/paste the info so I can fix it without having to do it manually?

edit: I found it in the forum post on the takp site, just in case anyone else has this issue here's a link to the thread: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/zlizeqmap-luclin-map-pack.12121/

blatman fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 16, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wish there was a takp thread so I could post this there but this seems inactive enough that it won't annoy anyone - I clawed my way up from the newbie dirt and made it to 19 on a shaman on takp, farming the spiderling ruins in field of bone to afford spells and some garbage gear, this is pretty much perfect for the sort of game I was after but if anyone has a poison wind censer i'll farm spiderling silks for you in exchange. I think if I can nab one of those I can just cruise to 40 farming hill giants along the way to buy one of those clicky nuke bracers then level off of everfrost giants or something (seafuries in oot maybe?) to pay for torpor which will let me farm guardian wurms in skyfire at 60, this kicks rear end and it's going to continue to kick rear end

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

blatman posted:

I wish there was a takp thread so I could post this there but this seems inactive enough that it won't annoy anyone - I clawed my way up from the newbie dirt and made it to 19 on a shaman on takp, farming the spiderling ruins in field of bone to afford spells and some garbage gear, this is pretty much perfect for the sort of game I was after but if anyone has a poison wind censer i'll farm spiderling silks for you in exchange. I think if I can nab one of those I can just cruise to 40 farming hill giants along the way to buy one of those clicky nuke bracers then level off of everfrost giants or something (seafuries in oot maybe?) to pay for torpor which will let me farm guardian wurms in skyfire at 60, this kicks rear end and it's going to continue to kick rear end

Torpor is a level 60 spell, sadly.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Torpor is a level 60 spell, sadly.

yeah but it's expensive as hell so it's gonna take a bunch of levels to get enough plat to buy it, I figure if I specifically gear my route towards that end I can have a copy to scribe the moment I ding 60, then it's off to farm those skyfire gw's since I think they have the whole boss-spell-drop loot table from kunark

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

blatman posted:

Shoot me a PM if you ever get up to the mid 30's I play a trio like a couple hours a week to scratch the itch and never get to group with anyone.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Do most people on TAKP run a three-box setup?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I usually two-box and play with some friends who are also two boxing. Boxing has ruined me and I can never go back to true box lol. I think two box is more common in raids but many people run three in the level grind game.

People are usually super nice and willing to pick up people for their group though. TAKP uses Al'Kabor's broken exp bonus mechanic where you actually get more xp for 4 people than 3 people in a group after dividing the xp, so you're incentivized to invite group members.

Ping meatza/lorien in game on TAKP if you see me and I can get ya some goodies. At minimum a set of banded and enough money to buy spells or a not crap weapon.

Prices are seriously deflated compared to p99. A JBB is only probably 1.5k tops. Ceremonial iksar bp 1k. SCHW 800p, other haste not much more and so on. Decent 0.5 ratio weapons only a couple hundo. Grabbed a lumi staff for 500 a while back

Focus items can be expensive. I picked up a white dragon scale cloak for 10k because it has Improved Damage 3.

I'm one of the only Kael factioned folks as well, happy to help farm stuff like Coldain Military Wrist guard (20% stronger dots with Burning Affliction III)

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 20, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cmdrk posted:

I usually two-box and play with some friends who are also two boxing. Boxing has ruined me and I can never go back to true box lol. I think two box is more common in raids but many people run three in the level grind game.

People are usually super nice and willing to pick up people for their group though. TAKP uses Al'Kabor's broken exp bonus mechanic where you actually get more xp for 4 people than 3 people in a group after dividing the xp, so you're incentivized to invite group members.

Ping meatza/lorien in game on TAKP if you see me and I can get ya some goodies. At minimum a set of banded and enough money to buy spells or a not crap weapon.

Prices are seriously deflated compared to p99. A JBB is only probably 1.5k tops. Ceremonial iksar bp 1k. SCHW 800p, other haste not much more and so on. Decent 0.5 ratio weapons only a couple hundo. Grabbed a lumi staff for 500 a while back

Focus items can be expensive. I picked up a white dragon scale cloak for 10k because it has Improved Damage 3.

I'm one of the only Kael factioned folks as well, happy to help farm stuff like Coldain Military Wrist guard (20% stronger dots with Burning Affliction III)

honestly i'm pretty surprised about the prices, I farmed spiderling silks for a few days and basically decked myself out with plat for spells to spare, I just need to sell a few more stacks and I can get the last of my leveling gear then it's a straight shot to..40 I think? when it's time to snag a JBB and start grinding giants or whatever

i'm probably going to pm you when i'm high enough level to use burning affliction 3 because that's gonna help a ton later on but if you see Fjonk running around feel free to shoot me some pro tips because I don't remember a goddamn thing about eq life in 2002

shirunei posted:

Shoot me a PM if you ever get up to the mid 30's I play a trio like a couple hours a week to scratch the itch and never get to group with anyone.

I'll do that for sure, i'm just playing 1 character though because I always wanted to level a shaman back in these days the old-fashioned way but never got around to it, my playtime is extremely strange though because I work graveyard shift but i'd have no problem with mangling my sleep schedule a bit for some eq groupage, in case you skimmed my post I mentioned earlier i'm ingame as Fjonk which is pronounced "Fjonk", however I am leveling very slowly so our groupage might take some time to get going

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
So I failed at making a private server, and made a little trio on TAKP, only one or two I'll play at higher levels. Not sure if a rogue, shadowknight, and shaman work well together, but I've mostly got the three big roles covered.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

GrayDorian posted:

So I failed at making a private server, and made a little trio on TAKP, only one or two I'll play at higher levels. Not sure if a rogue, shadowknight, and shaman work well together, but I've mostly got the three big roles covered.

There aren't too many rogues on the server due to needing 2 melees so you can position for backstab. Which obviously means you'll be high on the list for goodies during raids :v:

SHD/SHM should be a fine combo though. come poke Lorien if you want a suit of banded and I can get you some ok ratio weapons.

if you guys want I could start a new thread and try to track people's char names and such for TAKP, if we want to split it off from the p99 discussion? this thread is slow anyhow so whatever i guess?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
As far as I'm concerned feel free to chat about any emulated EQ1 stuff in here.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
If you're tracking TAKP folks, I'm Omarcomin, Wherewallaceat, and Gamebethegame as my SK, rogue, and shaman respectively. I added Meatza and Lorien to my friends list, I'll message you when we're both on next

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Decided to roll a char on green. Anyone able to help me with a better starter weapon for my shaman than a cracked staff? My char's name is Menobuff if you happen to see me around.

Would seriously appreciate it, and I've got a couple 60s on Blue so I could return the favor there.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 6, 2020

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
My level 9 monk is up to a full backpack of gnoll teeth, this is excruciating, lol

Hope that Castle 2.0 weirdo gets to celebrate with some turn-ins soon!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Will any guilds on green take a lovely broke-rear end lowbie? I don't know of any lowbie-friendly guilds on green like Kittens and other guilds on blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Fyodorovich posted:

Hope that Castle 2.0 weirdo gets to celebrate with some turn-ins soon!

If he saved as many turn-ins as he supposedly has he deserves his level 60 with 3 defense and no weapon skills. It doesn't really affect me but this no quest exp thing was retarded.

Can anyone recommend some cheap wisdom items for a druid? I'm around level 20 on green, have low-end earrings and rings, looted a Tainted Morningstar from Kithicor and have maybe one or two other pieces. It's hard to figure out what's affordable for me and not while maintaining spell money. I mostly just hate Tunnel bartering.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)