Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Devils Affricate posted:

No, but in Japanese "husband" and "master" are somewhat interchangeable!

I wouldn't say the Japanese colloquial terms for wife are that much better 奥さん, lit. at-the-back (of the house), or 家内, lit. in-the-house, or just the classic うち, lit. house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Devils Affricate posted:

No, but in Japanese "husband" and "master" are somewhat interchangeable!

i've never heard goshujinsama applied to a husband before only anata

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i've never heard goshujinsama applied to a husband before only anata

I specifically remember getting marked down on a test for translating goshujin (without the sama) as "master". That teacher was kinda weird, though. She didn't just mark it as wrong, she wrote "NO! HUSBAND!!" next to it in red ink. I was kind of bitter about it but it also made me lol.

And for the record it was just the word on its own, without the context of a sentence. Buncha bullshit!

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 19, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1302379942764834816

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Irl, our generation says 旦那さん danna-san for husband. It also means patron. Wife is usually 嫁 yome.

ご主人 goshujin is too formal, used in speeches.
夫 oto is too formal, used on paperwork (but technically most accurate)
旦那さん danna-san patron and provider.

A tv show recently explained the different words for wife.
奥さん okusan used by servants to describe a noble wife.
家内 kanai used by outsiders to describe a noble wife.
嫁 yomei used by in-laws to describe son's bride.
妻 tsuma all-purpose most accurate wife description.

ok have a nice day

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
anu garg, who does a 'word-a-day' mailing list, likes to always talk about english's poverty of random-rear end words for increasingly distant relations as the anglophone nuclear family got smaller. but of course this transition is happening right now and not centuries ago for East Asian peeps

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

夫 oto is too formal, used on paperwork (but technically most accurate)

夫 otto is for talking about in-group hubbies tho, innit? Not formal. i'm otto when the wife is talking about me with others.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

So, what, the coffee throws itself out of your hand? The muffins scream before you even get near them? What the hell is an e-sports theme?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WarpedNaba posted:

So, what, the coffee throws itself out of your hand? The muffins scream before you even get near them? What the hell is an e-sports theme?

think denny's second breakfast, it'll be that but named things like "idra ragequit"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
everything flavored like dew and doritos

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A Tim Horton's that smells even more like BO and stale farts.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget to add enough Caffeine to kill a horse.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

WarpedNaba posted:

After it fails the last Timmies in China levitates itself to the edge of the map and refuses to give up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

yaffle posted:

After it fails the last Timmies in China levitates itself to the edge of the map and refuses to give up.

Sounds more like M.U.G.E.N to me.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

You have to enter your order on a tablet at a minimum of 200 Actions per Minute or the staff begin screaming insults and racial slurs.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
gamer tim hortons where everything has rgb, even the coffee but its probably gutter oil

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The entire chain shits itself when someone says Hong Kong/Taiwan.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Does it? Or does the coffee normally taste like monkey piss

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What does monkey piss taste like, other than tim hortons finest?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Putting the Canadian maple leaf on a building? Very brave.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Collateral posted:

What does monkey piss taste like, other than tim hortons finest?

I am uneducated as to the precise flavours of the excreta of lesser apes, up to and including Steven Seagal. I would look elsewhere.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
china now has actual leverage over canada, imagine what they could do with tim hortons!!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

夫 otto is for talking about in-group hubbies tho, innit? Not formal. i'm otto when the wife is talking about me with others.

Maybe I'm just inaka trash lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Joke's on them - Tim's is owned by the same Brazilian parent as Burger King.

Still better than Luckin unless that's whose coffee they'll actually sell under the 51% rule.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Booty Pageant posted:

but its probably gutter oil

they’re serving Tim’s coffee, yes

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/RadiiChina/status/1330038977051697152?s=20

Edit: now that i listen to it with sound I think maybe it's fake, someone's definitely added some sound effects in. However this article does have footage of a real match where a "tai chi master" gets knocked TF out by an amateur boxer, skip ahead to around 2:00 in the video.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 21, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Porfiriato posted:

https://twitter.com/RadiiChina/status/1330038977051697152?s=20

Edit: now that i listen to it with sound I think maybe it's fake, someone's definitely added some sound effects in. However this article does have footage of a real match where a "tai chi master" gets knocked TF out by an amateur boxer, skip ahead to around 2:00 in the video.

My wife thinks that it's fake. Something about the way they are all acting. She thinks everyone is in on it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Tai Chi is fake.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So long as it gets grandma/pa out and exercising, it suits its purpose.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

So long as it gets grandma/pa out and exercising, it suits its purpose.

Yeah this is like watching a Tae Bo master get ko'd.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kharnifex posted:

Tai Chi is fake.

most of life is fake, and we enjoy those parts most

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I enjoy watching MMA dudes owning Tai chi oil salesmen

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I hope this Thai chi master gets owned trend keeps going until we get “Thai chi master wrecked by passive aggressive busker”

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

To defend Tai Chi:

I think it's a cool and good thing for old people to do. It gets them outside, exercising and stretching in a non-harsh, non-impact way. It can be calming and soothing and a relaxing thing to do to relieve stress and minor aches. All of which is better and healthier than doing nothing.

However, as an actual practical martial art, or indeed a Chinese propaganda "We are so mystical and great and better than you!" propaganda tool, it can get hosed.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Totes dog. Just think we should find one with a good sense of humour and run this poo poo into the ground

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I think it’s cool as heck when woomeisters get actually beat up honestly.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus H Christ. Dad thinks t**** is good. Thinks Antifa (Ignoring why and their function) setting fire to some stuff and BLM more damaging to the US than last 4 years of t****. Yet thinks the HK protest is good(including setting fires) as they fight a system that has completely lost the trust of the people by trashing elections. Thinks Democrats "Stole the election" with zero evidence and every court having thrown out every case with some judges giving the legal version of "gently caress off". Doesn't understand t**** and republicans are doing their utmost to undermine the election thus democracy which is super bad. Can't trust mainstream media because they aren't "Centralist or fair". I could go on, like holy gently caress poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 28, 2021

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving hell finally t**** has functionally acknowledged Biden's win by getting out of the way of the transition. Obviously he isn't going to concede being a piece of poo poo baby still saying he will continue to fight. While not important as far as getting things done it's not good for democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

It won't help you but my relatives in china are sad Trump is no longer president because he was so loving easy to roll by the Chinese government.

:lol: That's something to have a laugh about which I gladly welcome, cheers!