Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

enforce what? it does literally nothing. who cares?

I care. More and more county leaders and sheriff departments are outright defying sensible health orders and increasing public danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol yea I remember seeing a news article about how scientists saw absolutely no benefit to curfews and were totally baffled why they kept getting enacted nationwide

but it's this, this is why
I literally forgot there was a 5pm curfew in March for a hot minute.

This one might be aimed towards TikTock teens and college parties. But yeah, we know what we need to do. The Federal Government is just happy pretending everything is OK while people die.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

GodDamnArtist posted:

Cool. Cool.

So, uh, who's going to enforce it? Because it sure as hell ain't the police or sheriffs in a lot of the Sac area.

quote:

But even before Newsom issued the order, local law enforcement vowed to defy it. Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said in a statement Thursday afternoon that he would not enforce "any health or emergency orders related to curfews, staying at home, Thanksgiving or other social gatherings inside or outside the home, maximum occupancy, or mask mandates."

lmao

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I literally forgot there was a 5pm curfew in March for a hot minute.

This one might be aimed towards TikTock teens and college parties. But yeah, we know what we need to do. The Federal Government is just happy pretending everything is OK while people die.

This is it, this is the whole thing. We need to shutter businesses and freeze mortgage/rent payments and pay people to stay home. The fed could absolutely afford it, look at the interest rates on T-bills right now. But not local government or even state government has the authority or resources to do that. So you end up with these incoherent half rear end measures as local leaders try and limit the absolute worst activities (people in nighclusbs, etc) with what extremely limited authority they do have, while still desperately letting enough economic activity occur to keep solvent. It’s incredibly infuriating because now the end is in sight! Just a couple months would be necessary.

I normally think Calexit stuff is just masturbatory political science fiction, but if we were sovereign state with ability to deficit spend, I would be a lot less worried about my parents dying horribly right now.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Still Dismal posted:

This is it, this is the whole thing. We need to shutter businesses and freeze mortgage/rent payments and pay people to stay home. The fed could absolutely afford it, look at the interest rates on T-bills right now. But not local government or even state government has the authority or resources to do that. So you end up with these incoherent half rear end measures as local leaders try and limit the absolute worst activities (people in nighclusbs, etc) with what extremely limited authority they do have, while still desperately letting enough economic activity occur to keep solvent. It’s incredibly infuriating because now the end is in sight! Just a couple months would be necessary.

I normally think Calexit stuff is just masturbatory political science fiction, but if we were sovereign state with ability to deficit spend, I would be a lot less worried about my parents dying horribly right now.

If the Democratic Party was still in charge after a Calexit, you’d see the exact same anemic measures. They refuse to enact them because paying the popes to stay home makes their rich donors mad, so instead we get security theater.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Who should be on the California-issued currency? And what should it be called? We could probably get LA on board with Calexit by promising to put Kobe on the $8 bill. Emperor Norton on the $3, Huell Howser on the $1 coin.

And what's our TLD going to be? Steal .ca from Canada or .cr from Costa Rosa?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

CPColin posted:

Who should be on the California-issued currency? And what should it be called? We could probably get LA on board with Calexit by promising to put Kobe on the $8 bill. Emperor Norton on the $3, Huell Howser on the $1 coin.

Calbux and .cal, respectively

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

enforce what? it does literally nothing

...to white people :haw:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CPColin posted:

.frisco

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FCKGW posted:

.frisco

For a moment I thought you wrote .fresno, who I figured would join the new State of Jefferson if California ever tried to leave the US.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Oil Wells, Gold Nuggets, and Graves on the bills

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Emperor Norton belongs on the hundred

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

John Muir on the 20, Frank Chu on the 12

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Every freeway gets its own denomination. “Hey how much does this sandwich cost?” “The five dollars”

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Jerry Brown with the moon behind him on the 50.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nixon on the penny, which is worth 0¢

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1329656067517685762

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I've noticed every loving restaraunt is setting up fully enclosed tents with heaters inside and small top openes for ventilation...

do these fucks realize its loving AIRBORNE

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I've noticed every loving restaraunt is setting up fully enclosed tents with heaters inside and small top openes for ventilation...

Yeah it owns, just hypernormilization personified

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah but brunch cold it's like 65 some mornings brrrrr ⛄

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not indoors, can’t get mad.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

they're staying the mandatory 6' apart from each other what's the problem :downs:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oneiros posted:

they're staying the mandatory 6' apart from each other what's the problem :downs:

I have an even better idea, we cut one wall out put a tent siding on it and then we jack hammer the floor so its dirt

its outside guys???

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Centrist Committee posted:

...to white people :haw:

It does literally nothing worthwhile to stop or slow COVID*

GodDamnArtist posted:

I care. More and more county leaders and sheriff departments are outright defying sensible health orders and increasing public danger.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but this isn't a sensible health order. It's barely a health order. I can't stress enough how little this does to address the problem. It is a completely, utterly meaningless performative gesture that only highlights Newsom's lack of spine and the fact that our leadership has abandoned us.

So who the gently caress cares if it's enforced? He clearly only gave it in the first place to make himself look better to his side in the horse race. And now any pigs that refuse to enforce it are also just making performative gestures to signal their fascist ingroup. It's all theater. You are wasting your time being upset about it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
curfews are a worthless half-measure

quote:

The trendiness of curfews has perplexed public-health officials, who say they’re just a weaker form of more effective stay-at-home orders from leaders resistant to completely shutting down cities. According to experts at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, who today shared a road map to reverse the country’s alarming coronavirus trends, the best way to halt the exponential progress of COVID-19’s march — as it always has been — is “closing high-risk activities where the epidemic is worsening and reinstituting stay-at-home orders where healthcare systems are in crisis.” Curfews are found nowhere on their list of recommendations — and may even make the situation worse.

An elected leader threatening to impose a “10 p.m. curfew” does not convey the same urgency as a stay-at-home order; in fact, a curfew almost reinforces the idea that continuing regular activities in public is safe as long as they’re conducted before a certain time. Mostly, all a curfew does is suggest that people run errands or get dinner earlier — when everything is more crowded.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
california tld should be the surfing guy emoji

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

It sure makes Newsom look like he's doing a thing though! I can guarantee you "I was one of only two governors who had the resolve to enforce a curfew during the COVID-19 pandemic to help reduce the spread" will come up at some point during the 2028 primary debates.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It does literally nothing worthwhile to stop or slow COVID*

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but this isn't a sensible health order. It's barely a health order. I can't stress enough how little this does to address the problem. It is a completely, utterly meaningless performative gesture that only highlights Newsom's lack of spine and the fact that our leadership has abandoned us.

So who the gently caress cares if it's enforced? He clearly only gave it in the first place to make himself look better to his side in the horse race. And now any pigs that refuse to enforce it are also just making performative gestures to signal their fascist ingroup. It's all theater. You are wasting your time being upset about it.

My gf is an overnight stocker at a grocery store. The store has been closing at her start time for months and was about to start staying open till 2am, this order kills that idea. So I don't have to worry about her being directly exposed to the public.

Other than that niche, completely loving useless.

Worthless half-measures, empty platitudes, and performative bullshit is the entirety of the neoliberal playbook.

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

CPColin posted:

And on the penny... on the penny, my friend... that fuckin avocado eatin' dog.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Smythe posted:

california tld should be the surfing guy emoji

the national anthem should be California Love

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Greg12 posted:

California Uber Alles though

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If nixon is on the penny where do we put Reagan?

It also needs to be felony for anyone caught not defacing the penny.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

eSporks posted:

In the garbage.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

eSporks posted:

On urinal cakes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

eSporks posted:

Printed with a photo of his mouth open on the bottom of every holding tank at every treatment plant until the heat death of the universe

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

jetz0r posted:

On urinal cakes.

Yes. This is the perfect way to honor trickle down economics.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeah gently caress curfews. I don't work 9am - 5pm; I work late hours (and later hours since I'm on overtime this whole month and early december). Last time the curfews caused businesses to constrain their hours iirc; I was pretty happy when WinCo went back to being 24/7 a month or so ago.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gavin's clearly broken and decided on the gently caress-containment plan; push more people together during the day and get that herd immunity counter going up up up. Anything else might displease number.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Greg12 posted:

sorry, that spooks the suburban voters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXuYZtqO6Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

California Uber Alles though

Jerry Brown will be Governor thrice when Newsom ascends to the Presidency to usher in Eco Facist Cali