Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Sanctum posted:

I should post more about the terrible company I worked with until covid. This being a company where I once turned the regional VP red in the face at a union protest by calling him out when he said "we care about your safety" by bringing up a vehicle that has no working headlights and faulty brakes that had been impounded by Airfield Safety 3x over the past year and still hasn't been fixed. That vehicle would later cause $1.3M in damage. I have plenty more Told-You-So moments. I was promoted to maintenance perhaps partly because I played this 'game' back when I was a supervisor: I would follow company policy regarding unsafe equipment and not have my staff use it. This made me unpopular with operations management at the time.

It's always amazed me how aviation is generally pretty good about safety when Boeing isn't making GBS threads the bed for shareholders, but anything that doesn't actually fly is too expensive to fix because brakes aren't important on a fuel truck and there's no need to be safe on the ground. I landed my first job in aviation because the guy before me got lit on fire by a fuel truck and had to stay home for almost half a year, one of his two coworkers got fired for fueling aircraft in a hangar while the FSDO was walking through, and his last coworker got tired of 84 hour weeks from being the only person manning the FBO and threatened to quit if they didn't hire someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think the funniest thing is that actual companies using inches and feet using decimal versions anyway. So you don’t get 11 and 3/4 inch, you get 11.75 inch. This is particularly funny for parts smaller than one inch since then it’s all “0.00453 +- 0.0004” which is just SO EASY TO READ MAN I JUST LOVE AN EXTRA LEVEL OF SIGNIFIGANR FIGURES JUST BECAUSE I WANTED TO USE IMPERIAL WOO YEAH.

The United States uses US Customary units, not Imperial. :spergin: :911:

Having grown up and worked back and forth between the USA and Canada my whole life I switch freely between US and metric units, and I just now have started to consider that it might be confusing to my students when I start out describing a part's dimensions in millimeters, then give the build area of the 3D printer in inches and its resolution in microns, then talk about undersizing holes by 3 thous to get a press-fit around the shaft that is 3/8 of an inch. Hmmmm

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dirk the Average posted:

Fair enough. I'm in R&D and we mostly do prototyping and one-off builds, so confusion on the part of the shop is much less of an issue when I always talk to the machine shop before the build.

Thing is I'm okay doing it for some things, but if the part, say, can't be bigger than an inch, it's easier for me to call out 1" +0 -0.1 than figuring out a standard tolerance, the min max, and calculating the average value. Yes, 0.95" +/-0.05 is technically the same, but doesn't convey what is actually important.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Our company has industrial ovens from 400 to 10,000 cubic feet with circulating fans as large as 75 hp. I’m the controls guy. I sometimes have to explain to our engineering staff why it’s folly to have our temperature controllers display oven temperatures in tenths or sometimes even hundredths of a degree. I always seem to win the conversation but it never sticks for very long.

My car displays the temp on the HVAC system in tenths of a degree, but I cannot set it to anything other than a whole number. Maybe it's a holdover from converting it from Celsius.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

then talk about undersizing holes by 3 thous to get a press-fit around the shaft that is 3/8 of an inch. Hmmmm

oh hullo old friend

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

It's always amazed me how aviation is generally pretty good about safety when Boeing isn't making GBS threads the bed for shareholders, but anything that doesn't actually fly is too expensive to fix because brakes aren't important on a fuel truck and there's no need to be safe on the ground. I landed my first job in aviation because the guy before me got lit on fire by a fuel truck and had to stay home for almost half a year, one of his two coworkers got fired for fueling aircraft in a hangar while the FSDO was walking through, and his last coworker got tired of 84 hour weeks from being the only person manning the FBO and threatened to quit if they didn't hire someone.
Oh yeah I've had my fill of that.

That tanker also had air brakes leaking so badly that you'd have to stop periodically to build back up pressure when driving. As a safety you can't get into gear if the brake pressure is too low to prevent this, but this leak was so bad that using the brakes caused the pressure to drop to the point they would stop working when the engine is running.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 20, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

J'ai pas le temps? Sure hope you have l'argent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uthor posted:

Thing is I'm okay doing it for some things, but if the part, say, can't be bigger than an inch, it's easier for me to call out 1" +0 -0.1 than figuring out a standard tolerance, the min max, and calculating the average value. Yes, 0.95" +/-0.05 is technically the same, but doesn't convey what is actually important.

Right, and specifying it as 0.95 ± 0.05 also implies that the target value is 0.95, when it isn't. Perhaps the part is ideally as close to 1 inch as possible, and just can't be any bigger. Specifying 1.0 +0 -0.1 will indicate to the machinist that 0.99 is better than 0.91, even though both are in tolerance, and both are equidistant from 0.95.

Example: when you get a pilot's license you have to demonstrate your ability to perform a short field landing, which means putting the wheels on the ground within 200 feet of a specified mark on the runway. The standard is not ±100' of your point, but +200' -0'. This is because it's simulating a landing right at the runway threshold, giving you the maximum distance to roll out and stop. You want to get as close to the threshold as possible, but landing 1 foot before it means landing in the dirt. ±100 is thus conceptually very different from +200 -0.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Actually there's a video I'll try to find (looks like it was never public) of another tanker I worked with that we shipped to another base. The lift deck collapses during operation, nearly crushes a guy, and breaks the leg of the guy on the deck. After that happened the shop boss asked me to go around and check all the lift decks, what a strange conversation that was. I told him I'm not qualified to inspect lift decks and asked what the point of my inspecting them was. He really just wanted to be able to say "I had a mechanic inspect all our lift decks" so off I went to uhhh, make sure all the bolts are in place?

Anyways enough of the small-fry stories about incompetent bosses and co-workers, you could hear those anywhere. I should go into all the illegal and negligent stuff my company was doing from upper management. Maybe all this won't be as graphic in terms of material destruction, but these are blatant OSHA and EPA violations. Back in 2016 my company had a meeting with EPA and the fire marshal regarding new laws in California. They had to meet Tier4 emission standards by 2018, which meant our entire fueling fleet would need to be replaced by 2018. Our GM at the time left this meeting and treated it as though the date was 2020, which it was not. So the company was already out of compliance in 2018 when they just started replacing their fleet. Which was a loving disaster for the stupidest reasons.

New regulations meant fueling trucks could not longer go under the wings of 737's, which meant a number of fuelers on our United operation were going to have to do slightly more work pulling the hose out and getting a ladder. Our company did not provide any ladders. Eventually we got lovely plastic folding A-frame ladders and welded some frames onto fueling hydrants so they could hang the ladder. All this time I am trying to impress upon our new director and new GM that these folding ladders are a temporary solution and we need to get stairs with siderails on every gate. New management continued to maintain that these folding ladders were OSHA-compliant as long as they don't have to climb more than 4 feet. No the gently caress they were not. You need to make 3 points of contact when climbing a ladder, how can a fueler do that while carrying a heavy hose and fueling nozzle up the ladder? This wasn't just technically unsafe, this was plainly unsafe and it was costing us. How the hell did they expect these fuelers to disconnect a nozzle when standing on a ladder? Even if they can disconnect the nozzle with 1 hand, which isn't procedure anyways, what are they supposed to do now that they are up on a ladder with no rails and holding a heavy nozzle in one hand? Imagine it's cold and dark and raining, you're on a wobbly ladder and holding a heavy nozzle and hose in hand and now you have to climb down. Well, turns out most fuelers will loving drop the nozzle instead because they don't give a poo poo. And so they kept dropping them.

Now as maintenance I would yell at the United fuelers for dropping these nozzles and breaking them constantly, but I always understood why they did it. This BRAND NEW fleet we put on our United fueling operation had over 150 nozzle rebuilds in the first year of operation. For reference, our United Express had 2 nozzle rebuilds, American Airlines had 3 rebuilds, Delta had 0 rebuilds, Southwest had 0 rebuilds, all of international and cargo had 1 rebuild. And none of those other operations had brand new equipment. And by god, it wasn't the new nozzles breaking easily. When possible we'd put our sturdiest older nozzles on United but they would gently caress those up as quickly as the new ones. So our United operation would constantly be bitching about maintenance and leaking nozzles because they kept breaking them, and management only listened to operations who of course complained about maintenance not fixing what they were breaking on a daily basis. One of the first things I did when I moved to maintenance was to fix all pressure release valves, which was the most common cause of fuel spills. It's like I stopped fuel spills from happening but my company was just determined to continue having them one way or another. I should go into stories about individual spills because some of them were amazing.

e: Here's a fueler with no ladder using the hose and nozzle as a ladder. Improvising~ This plane is an EMB, 737's are a fair bit larger

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 20, 2020

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Sanctum posted:

I should go into stories about individual spills because some of them were amazing.

Uh, yeah, you 100% should, :justpost:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Powershift posted:

It even has a cool name, dozenic finger counting.

And who said you never see em fing

That's funny because I do this going left to right in rows rather than up and down

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/5V7qAYK.gifv

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
This fueler is way up on a lift deck fueling a 787 and there is a huge pool of jet fuel surrounding his entire vehicle that he somehow does not notice. I see this and I'm running towards him shouting stop fueling but of course he looks at me, somehow not noticing the pool of liquid and ask "why?" I had to wade through a giant puddle of jet fuel to hit the e-stop. As I would learn, fuelers will never stop fueling when you tell them to stop so don't ask. This guy had some real audacity though. A bunch of fuelers come over to help with the spill, I hitched an emergency spill kit cart to my truck and brought it over for them. I was even nice enough to help them get the stuff out. I fixed the valve that he had jammed open which caused the spill, meanwhile the fuelers were working on cleaning up the mess. The fueler that hadn't noticed the spill went back to fueling and it didn't take long for one of the other fuelers to rightly cuss him out and demand he start cleaning his spill. Aside from terrible manners, do you think it's wise to continue fueling when your truck is parked in a pool of jet fuel? At that point I turned the engine back off and was yelling at him too. loving idiot that one.

Another time a truck started spewing highly pressurized fuel out of a joint on the surge tank. Leaking is bad, but anytime I see misting fuel coming out of a joint that is cause for some serious concern because it tells me pressure is building up in a dangerous way. Once again I had to run to hit the e-stop because as I was learning, the fuelers never stop fueling. This time however, the fueler actually started to argue with me because he wanted to finish his flight. This lil dude actually called his supervisor on me. I always try to tell the fuelers not to worry about a delay, just notify your supervisor and whatever happens isn't your problem. But this guy really was more worried about finishing his flight on time, even if it meant risking a pressure vessel explosion.

Okay last one for now. I get a text from our United gates fueling supervisor about a hydrant truck leaking when fueling. I give them the boiler plate okay stage it safely and I'll come look at it. I'm on the other side of the airport working on some other breakdowns, but this supervisor keeps sending me increasingly urgent texts about this spill. I ignore them and finish my current task because I hate our United fuelers who tend to drag nozzles, rip deadman cords, and generally gently caress everything up. Texts turn into calls and then the real ace, an urgent call from the GM, what an idiot. If it's leaking, stop fueling and get another truck. Close the isolation valves and clean up the spill. The problem here is I may have, on occasion, been the hero who fixes things on the spot, even replacing entire nozzles. Somehow this United supervisor got it in his head that was how things worked.

So I slink my way over to United and I see the supervisor is the one fueling. There's a spill, he's used up all of his spill kit absorbant, and oh yeah he's STILL loving FUELING. He had a knick in a line that regulates pressure, so it wasn't the big hose, but he was still leaking a small but steady amount of fuel. I was so mad at this doofus, a goddamn supervisor and he acts like this. First thing I did, after fixing the ruptured line and cleaning up his goddamn mess that is, was go over to our United fueling office and take a picture of the 10 unused hydrant trucks. 10 trucks he could have swapped for, but instead this supervisor kept fueling with a leaking line while also blowing up my phone about the spill he was causing. And the GM calling me to tell me to go fix it on the spot like, "because we know you can, so go do it." gently caress I get angry just thinking about these people.

edit: I stopped to take a picture of a spill as it was happening one time. Fueler overfilled the wing tanks.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 20, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sanctum posted:

Quality Content

Thanks for the great stuff man. One dumb question from a layman: how much of a spark/flare-up hazard are those spills? I always thought that jet fuel was rather volatile stuff, but that's a pretty blasé attitude to loose fuel sitting underneath a fuel tank.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Serephina posted:

Thanks for the great stuff man. One dumb question from a layman: how much of a spark/flare-up hazard are those spills? I always thought that jet fuel was rather volatile stuff, but that's a pretty blasé attitude to loose fuel sitting underneath a fuel tank.

I’m looking forward to Sanctum’s answer on the practical realities, but jet fuel is basically kerosene. If you’ve lit a kerosene lamp or used it to start charcoal, you have some idea of how it behaves.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Serephina posted:

Not very flammable. You could throw a match on it and nothing would happen. Very dangerous when it is burning, fuel tanks on planes can bleve and explode. Sparks aren't an issue because jet fuel doesn't vaporize until it's 100 F so fumes aren't a concern in open spaces.

You can use jet fuel in diesel trucks. Sometimes fuelers would ask me for a bucket so they could put jet fuel in their truck when they were low on diesel. I wouldn't give it to them but the frequency that they asked me tells me my co-workers must have. Definitely an EPA emissions violation, but it's not as bad as something like AvGas in a gasoline engine which will gently caress up your catalytic converter and you'll never pass a smog test again.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Platystemon posted:

I’m looking forward to Sanctum’s answer on the practical realities, but jet fuel is basically kerosene. If you’ve lit a kerosene lamp or used it to start charcoal, you have some idea of how it behaves.

Follow up; could it melt steel beams?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Serephina posted:

Jet engines are loving hungry and can burn drat near anything, so the main concern with jet is that it's cheap, but doesn't have enough tar, rocks, waxes, or other poo poo to clog up the fuel pump system. Basically the exact opposite of the popular conception of jet fuel as a high performance super flammable fuel.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

jetz0r posted:

Jet engines are loving hungry and can burn drat near anything, so the main concern with jet is that it's cheap, but doesn't have enough tar, rocks, waxes, or other poo poo to clog up the fuel pump system. Basically the exact opposite of the popular conception of jet fuel as a high performance super flammable fuel.

So what you're saying is that jets can't pelt pooled naphthenes?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
PPE question: is it normal for 3M 7093 filters to have a strong smell out of the box? I didn't notice anything similar with the pancake or gas+P100 filters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lazyhound posted:

PPE question: is it normal for 3M 7093 filters to have a strong smell out of the box? I didn't notice anything similar with the pancake or gas+P100 filters.

I would say they have a distinct smell, but it’s not stronger than “new car smell”.

Check that they aren’t obvious counterfeits.

Platystemon posted:

Genuine right

Note the keyed bayonet mounting openings, with one wing smaller.

Genuine top

If you pop the housing open, which can be done nondestructively with hæmostats or fine tweezers to release the tabs on the back, the difference there by be overwhelming.

I believe that the ugly looking one would fail a negative pressure check, where you press the filter housings into the mask and attempt to inhale. That snotty silicone wouldn’t make a seal.

Particular details may vary. The point is to be aware that fakes are out there. Buy from a reputable outlet if you can and give them a close look if you cannot.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like that the lot number is molded into the housing on the fake one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jamal posted:

I like that the lot number is molded into the housing on the fake one.

It's not the worst, it at least looks like it is an insert in the mold so they could change it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Lazyhound posted:

Where did you order them from? Amazon is very sketchy on things like that now. If you ordered them from an industry supply site like Digikey, mcmaster-carr, etc, then it should be a legit 3M product.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I've had ones with a strong piss smell, that was weird. Not joking, idk what was going on there. Can those have ammonia outgassing or something?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 20, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

aphid_licker posted:

I've had ones with a strong piss smell, that was weird. Not joking, idk what was going on there. Can those have ammonia outgassing or something?

Some formulations of silicone release ammonia as they cure.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sagebrush posted:

The United States uses US Customary units, not Imperial. :spergin: :911:

Yeah but calling them Imperial units pokes fun at American exceptionalism in multiple ways.

quote:

Having grown up and worked back and forth between the USA and Canada my whole life I switch freely between US and metric units, and I just now have started to consider that it might be confusing to my students when I start out describing a part's dimensions in millimeters, then give the build area of the 3D printer in inches and its resolution in microns, then talk about undersizing holes by 3 thous to get a press-fit around the shaft that is 3/8 of an inch. Hmmmm

I feel like anyone working in the sciences or engineering in the US really needs to know both and be comfortable interconverting in their heads. You're doing them a favour.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
some people, you give an inch and they take a kilometer

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

jetz0r posted:

Where did you order them from? Amazon is very sketchy on things like that now. If you ordered them from an industry supply site like Digikey, mcmaster-carr, etc, then it should be a legit 3M product.

poo poo, what are the odds that this product is legit? Got it for covid protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088CQ2F1F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_4d8TFbXPA1PTP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mozi posted:

some people, you give an inch and they take a kilometer

Some people take 1.6km.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I feel like anyone working in the sciences or engineering in the US really needs to know both and be comfortable interconverting in their heads. You're doing them a favour.

1.6 km/mi, 2.54 cm/in, 2.2 lb/kg are the only numbers you really need to know. For machining, 1 thou/mil is 25 microns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Fibonacci’s sequence is the universe’s gift for converting between miles and kilometres.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

0.03937 is the important one in machining but whatever, it's just the reciprocal

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

shame on an IGA posted:

0.03937 is the important one in machining but whatever, it's just the reciprocal

The most important reciprocal is <3

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Leon Sumbitches posted:

poo poo, what are the odds that this product is legit? Got it for covid protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088CQ2F1F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_4d8TFbXPA1PTP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's "legit" in the sense that it's openly chinese and makes no claims of efficacy

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Amazon is solidly in the Harbor Freight category for me. Don't buy anything from Amazon that would be bad if you got a cheap knockoff.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Oh wait, on desktop now I can see the thing says "Made in USA" and "NIOSH P100" :lol:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless your mask has a filtered exhaust, please don't wear that for covid protection. Containing water droplets from your mouth is just as important as blocking droplets from other people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1329819239721611268?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ok, but what about this one.

https://twitter.com/bitchim999/status/1329820374217867264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

glad he flew out of his seat towards the working airbag not the steering column where his wheel used to be.