Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm not sure which I enjoy more, the opening or the headbanging in front of the wardrobe in the spare room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If there's one thing I like, it's a Danelectro with flatwounds. I tried making a clip for you guys to hear but I guess my webcam mic is not so great :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByILPKdsx-w

I usually use LaBellas but the store was out so I tried Thomastiks. They're nice but very bright and they don't seem to have the funky thump that LaBellas do.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

That's pretty sweet - which one is the lipstick humbucker?

Have you tried nylon Tapewounds?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The bridge has dual lipsticks, which I've never seen on a Dan before; and the neck has a humbucker which is also weird for a Danelectro, not to mention the long scale (34). So it's a bit weird but it sounds good and plays nice so it's all pretty nice. I put a very basic foam mute at the bridge too, for a bit of added thump.

I've never tried nylon tapewounds, but I've heard good things about them so I might try them out at some point - I hear the Fender ones are particularly good, is this true?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I need to step up my practice game. I’m a number of weeks into this B2B course and I’m still only practicing by plucking out the stuff I’ve learned so far. I’m hoping at some point we start practicing scales and other stuff like that. I may be the only person on earth excited to practice scales.

Mainly I need something that consistently exercises my pinky and ring, and gets me moving around the fretboard. The stuff I’ve learned so far does that in little chunks but .. I’m always aiming higher!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I read this exercise somewhere and started warming up with it, and it's done a lot for me.

Start on C on your A string and run your major scale. Then staying on your A string, go around the circle of 4ths (c, f, b flat, e flat, etc).

Then move to your e string and find C, then do the same thing except on the low string and with your minor scale.

Then repeat those patterns, but with your arpeggios. I found it helped me stretch more for one finger per fret, but also helped me recognize where on the neck that became uncomfortable and I learned muscle memory for moving my hands around more.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

The bridge has dual lipsticks, which I've never seen on a Dan before; and the neck has a humbucker which is also weird for a Danelectro, not to mention the long scale (34). So it's a bit weird but it sounds good and plays nice so it's all pretty nice. I put a very basic foam mute at the bridge too, for a bit of added thump.

I've never tried nylon tapewounds, but I've heard good things about them so I might try them out at some point - I hear the Fender ones are particularly good, is this true?

Sorry, I meant which part of the video was the bridge pickup tone? I was guessing it was the last bit, but just wanted to check!

I have no idea about Fender, but I have the La Bella black ones on my bass and they've got a nice, warm tone. Easy on the fingers, too.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I feel like I need to step up my practice game. I’m a number of weeks into this B2B course and I’m still only practicing by plucking out the stuff I’ve learned so far. I’m hoping at some point we start practicing scales and other stuff like that. I may be the only person on earth excited to practice scales.

Mainly I need something that consistently exercises my pinky and ring, and gets me moving around the fretboard. The stuff I’ve learned so far does that in little chunks but .. I’m always aiming higher!

Here ya go. You can do this one without knowing any theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPBUnLIkyIw

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

Sorry, I meant which part of the video was the bridge pickup tone? I was guessing it was the last bit, but just wanted to check!

I have no idea about Fender, but I have the La Bella black ones on my bass and they've got a nice, warm tone. Easy on the fingers, too.

Yeah the bridge pickup was the last (third) part.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Seventh Arrow posted:

If you use any tapes besides La Bella, you're doing it wrong :colbert:

I've got golds on my fretless and Bubby Lewis NAMM whites on my SB-2 (same as regular whites but with *flair*)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Man, I wish they made those in double ball.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the practice suggestions. Going to work these into my routine. Also picked up this:

So I’m probably good for stuff to work on for the immediate future. Hope it pans out and I don’t hate life :cool:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oooh, I've flicked through the guitar version of this. It looked very promising.

Leotard not included, I guess.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Just wanted to say this is a great thread. I found a GSR200 used for 100 cash which is within my budget for something I'm not sure I'll stick with (along with 100 other hobbies). Pictures show it to be in pretty good shape. I appreciate the recommendation.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Not sure if I ever posted my basses before. The black one is a Cort, my friend sold it to me to play in a Reggae band. He found it under a bed, spiders were living inside the cavity. He had it refretted and made playable. I paid $175 for it to him. It is a Lawsuit Fender as seen by the headstock. It is very, very heavy and I believe made in Indonesia sometime in the early 70s.

The 5-string is a cheap but adequate knockoff of an Ernie Ball. Could use some mods.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SPIDER BASS

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not just a knockoff, an OLP, Officially Licensed Product, of Ernie Ball. I've seen the guitars and basses pop up in my pawn shop visits many times, and the guitars were always decent, and the basses seemed a step above the normal import at that price level.

The Cort is most likely Korean. They didn't move anything to Indonesia until the 90s, I think. Also might be early 80s, the truss rod adjustment at the heel seemed to be a thing around 1980-1983 for Samick and Cort. Good thing is those were after both companies had done some consulting with Tokai and Matsumoku to improve their product lines. Huge jump in quality compared to the 70s models.

My latest bass is this terrible piece of poo poo

Harmony H906, possibly the worst instrument I own. Truss rod maxed out and still has too much relief, neck shimmed with a nickel to get it somewhat playable, and the electronics work about 10% of the time. Which is a shame, because it's a dirty sounding thing. I should really just pull the pickups and toss the rest into the trash.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Well the dude selling the bass I was looking at was about 1:30 hour drive so I decided to buy new and got a Yamaha RBX Series RBX170. My friend who's been playing guitar for decades has always had Yamaha and I figured if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me who's never held a bass for longer than 10 seconds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Bass Aerobics book seems legit. I’m not sure how much it’ll help but I love the first week’s exercise. It’s a real struggle for me to play along because I’m still garbage at sightreading, even sightreading along to tabs, but I’m having fun at a reduced speed.

My arm naturally falls into the crook of my J-bass though and I tend to play way up by the fretboard when I’m aiming to play between pickups. Often I’ll look down and my thumb is resting on the back of the fretboard which I’m trying to fix. Not because anyone told me it’s wrong, but because I want to break myself of relying on resting my hand where it just naturally rests so I don’t have to struggle later on to play near the bridge to get more twang out of the guitar. Or maybe my thinking is all messed up on this, who knows.

Part of me wants to set up the GoPro and do a year long progression video. Should be a hoot to look back at in a year if I can keep up daily practice. I’d say I’ve made some pretty decent progress in the month I’ve been posting in here since I picked up a bass first.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Short of trying to get a particular tone, I'd say play however you feel comfortable. I tend to pluck on the fretboard too, partly because I'm tall, have long monkey arms and wear my bass high and partly because I like the mellower tone I get up there.

If this is when you're sitting down with the bass on your lap, try sitting the butt of the bass between your legs like its a classical guitar. It'll move the space you're aiming to pluck in a better position.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh you know I never really thought about it, but it DOES happen most when I'm sitting. When I'm standing I tend to pickup rest as intended. I try to stand when I practice 90% of the time because it keeps me alert but every now and then you gotta take a load off :haw:

I'll see what I can adjust thanks!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I'll second the crotch-rest instead of resting the bass on the right thigh (for righties). I switched to that position when sitting, and my plucking wrist is much happier for it. The left hand has to reach a little more, but it's negligible compared to the right hand improvement.

I initially tried doing this vid with the bass on my right leg, but those upper register chords are hell in that position.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz3CGqmveCo

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Cheese Thief posted:

Not sure if I ever posted my basses before. The black one is a Cort, my friend sold it to me to play in a Reggae band. He found it under a bed, spiders were living inside the cavity. He had it refretted and made playable. I paid $175 for it to him. It is a Lawsuit Fender as seen by the headstock. It is very, very heavy and I believe made in Indonesia sometime in the early 70s.

The 5-string is a cheap but adequate knockoff of an Ernie Ball. Could use some mods.

What's up lawsuit buddy?

Mine is a '78 Ibanez Silver Series p-bass

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I always meant to ask, what’s up with the covers? Do they serve any functional purpose or just bling? Seems like if they were over the pickups maybe shielding, but..

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Martytoof posted:

I always meant to ask, what’s up with the covers? Do they serve any functional purpose or just bling? Seems like if they were over the pickups maybe shielding, but..

Depends on the bass and how it's routed. The control cavity on that bass is top-routed, so yeah it provides shielding. Not so much for the pickups.

On basses that are routed in the back, the cover plate provides the shielding, and any pickguard on top is merely for esthetics.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Pretty much all the Fenders had bridge covers originally. On the guitars they were for looks, but on the basses they also held a mute to deaden the sound - either a foam strip pressing against all the strings, or individual string clamps on early Jazzes.
The pickup cover on the original '51 Precision was supposedly for shielding, since it was still a single coil pickup at that point, but it probably didn't do a lot.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Scarf posted:

What's up lawsuit buddy?

Mine is a '78 Ibanez Silver Series p-bass

Oh hell yea. I have screws in mine where pickup covers once were. Pretty neat, I'd leave the bridge cover on too if I had it.
Quality instruments, probably even better than 70s Fender, which was considered I think to be a hit or miss decade for them.

Also that wood grain looks very striking

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might be biased because my first is one, but I am in love with natural wood.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Natural finish = best finish.
That's a fact.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Unless it's a Danelectro.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Pretty much all the Fenders had bridge covers originally. On the guitars they were for looks, but on the basses they also held a mute to deaden the sound - either a foam strip pressing against all the strings, or individual string clamps on early Jazzes.
The pickup cover on the original '51 Precision was supposedly for shielding, since it was still a single coil pickup at that point, but it probably didn't do a lot.

Ohhh I for some reason I thought we were talking about pickguards...

Yeah, Leo Fender hated the look of exposed hardware, including the pickups. And yeah, the pickup cover didn't do poo poo.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Thoughts on this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHpzoGSshYQ

Here are the 17 items that make this guy say you're intermediate. I actually have most of these. The only ones I'm not really there scales and jamming (as defined in the video). I don't know if I'd consider this "intermediate" or just outside of the very newb stages. But as the dude says, it's very much a subjective term. But hey, getting close to this, maybe I'm not quite as lost as I thought.

1 Tuning Your Bass in 15 seconds or less
2 - Fretboard Memorizing (natural notes, first 5 frets)
3 - Four Finger Fretting
4 - Alternating Plucking 8th notes at 120bpm
5- Playing With Metronome
6 - Playing Legato
7 - Muting
8 - Basic Scales (Major, Minor, Major and Minor Pentatonic)
9 - Basic Rhythms
10 - Knowing Your Gear (decent tone)
11 - Reading Some Kind of Notation (including tab)
12 - Playing With Drummers
13 - Jamming
14 - Listening
15 - 12 Bar Blues
16 - Creating Bass Lines (very basic)
17 - Playing Full Songs

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean keep in mind that this is the guy who runs the Beginner 2 Badass course — I don’t think anyone would argue that at the end of these 16 weeks I’m going to be an actual “badass” at bass guitar, so take that with a grain of salt :)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sure, I think it's an inflated definition of intermediate. But I'm glad to see that I'm 90% of the way towards at least this definition.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I agree with that except for #6, 15-17 . Those four things is what goes from intermediate to good then building upon those last three is how to get to advanced.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

This kind of thing makes me wonder about Jeff Berlin's take on using musical content for as much as possible. In other words, if you want to work on string skipping, transcribe a song that uses string skipping. If you want to work on odd time signatures, learn a song with odd time signatures, etc.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Thoughts on this video?

Unwatchable

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I started out playing bass because someone needed it for a band, so my definition of something more than a beginner is alot more simple.

If youre keeping time and not messing up, you're alright.

If you're adding something to the songs, either that wasnt in the songwriter's oroginal idea or the cover song's original playing, you're getting good.

If you're just focusing on your own parts, you're bored. Go join or start a new band.

The other stuff is just different ways of saying you didn't gently caress up or aesthetics. Tho it is pretty cool how you suddenly level up like you're in a Final Fantasy game when you start being able to do things like detecting relative pitch or notes by ear.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Tho it is pretty cool how you suddenly level up like you're in a Final Fantasy game when you start being able to do things like detecting relative pitch or notes by ear.

Scott Pilgrim except he just focuses on playing the bass instead of chasing around Ramona Flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
didn't know ulillillia played bass