Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kanonvandekempen posted:

According to historians in the British press the Crown has taken more liberties with being an actual representation of things as they happened with each season, so maybe be careful what you're reading into things.

Having said that, abolish all monarchies.

The bar for the royals to take action for libel/slander is very high and the producers of the show know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Just got to this. Also holy hell Gillian Anderson's Thatcher.

She’s slightly overegging the pudding vocally, but I can’t fault her physicality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Torquemada posted:

She’s slightly overegging the pudding vocally, but I can’t fault her physicality.

I can't fault Gillian Anderson's physicality either.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

imabanana posted:

Anyone who loves Nathan Fielder and "Nathan For You" needs to get into "How To With John Wilson" right away. It's 4 out of 6 episodes in and it's been brilliant so far.

Seconding this. I've liked every episode. It's a nice blend of sweet and funny. Also I just really like shows where you meet random real people in little vignettes.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Alex Ryder on Amazon/IMDB is a shockingly proficient teenage James Bond show.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

imabanana posted:

Anyone who loves Nathan Fielder and "Nathan For You" needs to get into "How To With John Wilson" right away. It's 4 out of 6 episodes in and it's been brilliant so far.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night, who knew scaffolding could be so interesting?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't like what I've seen of Nathan Fielder but "How To With John Wilson" still seems decent to me.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

imabanana posted:

I love it.
the tone reminds me a bit of Joe Pera talks with you.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I just binged the new Aunty Donna sketch show on Netflix, and like it quite a lot. Reminded me of the Comedy Bang Bang tv show, but riffing on wacky flatmate sitcoms instead of talk shows.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

phosdex posted:

I watched the first 2 episodes last night, who knew scaffolding could be so interesting?

Really good show, I don't think the person I was watching with particularly wanted to see two guys full of cum tied to scaffolding being jerked off though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Good news is that nobody actually saw that! I will say though, the whole foreskin stretching thing in ep4 was a bit surprising and my wife was glad she went to bed right before that when I told her about it the next day since she started watching with me and assumed it would just be all about furniture coverings.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Good news is that nobody actually saw that! I will say though, the whole foreskin stretching thing in ep4 was a bit surprising and my wife was glad she went to bed right before that when I told her about it the next day since she started watching with me and assumed it would just be all about furniture coverings.

lol, I just watched that episode. Show has the highest dong to episode ratio I've ever seen. I wonder what kind of car his friend has that he was freaking out over the car wash.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

With AHS:1984 on Netflix, I'm trying to watch what I missed before I cancelled FX on my cable network. It's a trip, even at episode 4.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
The Crown is a great show to watch while vacuuming. The cinematography is lovely and the acting is great but the writing and history is just garbage. Like in the latest season all of the turbulent politics of the 70s and 80s are just contextual setup for soap opera nonsense like Margaret Thatcher yelling at her daughter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

phosdex posted:

lol, I just watched that episode. Show has the highest dong to episode ratio I've ever seen. I wonder what kind of car his friend has that he was freaking out over the car wash.

Looked like a VW if I remember correctly.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Been binge watching Person of Interest and wow, I can't believe how this show spun out from a procedural to this multi layered and crazy plot. I'm really enjoying it and really liking the characters.

Although... I'm almost done season 3 for now and honestly, no matter how much the writers try. gently caress Root. I don't care how much people like Amy Acker. Every scene with Root just makes me want to skip ahead. Even after this redemption arc that she's going through in Season 3. I just plain do not like the character.

Sticking around for everyone else though. It's definitely been a wild ride so far.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yea but Amy Acker

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
After watching a few Australian shows we’re getting recs on Netflix for more. We just watched the Code, another 6 ep. hacker thriller. It was ok but I think I enjoyed Secret City more. I’m not sure if I can figure out exactly why but The Code just felt a little more manufactured. Also more explicit violence that didn’t seem necessary. Still it might be up your alley if you like 24 or some like that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Been binge watching Person of Interest and wow, I can't believe how this show spun out from a procedural to this multi layered and crazy plot. I'm really enjoying it and really liking the characters.

Although... I'm almost done season 3 for now and honestly, no matter how much the writers try. gently caress Root. I don't care how much people like Amy Acker. Every scene with Root just makes me want to skip ahead. Even after this redemption arc that she's going through in Season 3. I just plain do not like the character.

Sticking around for everyone else though. It's definitely been a wild ride so far.

So glad you're enjoying PoI. What a fantastic show that got dismissed by too many people (including me, for too long) as a "dad show" -- another generic network procedural.

Not sure if you'll know or care, but the guy who plays Peter Collier in Season 3, Leslie Odom Jr., played Aaron Burr in the original Broadway cast of Hamilton and won the Tony for Best Actor. I always thought it was cool I saw him on Person of Interest first.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

After watching a few Australian shows we’re getting recs on Netflix for more. We just watched the Code, another 6 ep. hacker thriller. It was ok but I think I enjoyed Secret City more. I’m not sure if I can figure out exactly why but The Code just felt a little more manufactured. Also more explicit violence that didn’t seem necessary. Still it might be up your alley if you like 24 or some like that.

Secret City is low key hilarious, in how pretty it makes Canberra look.

Have a go with Glitch after you're done with The Code's second season (oh, and Lucy Lawless isn't in the second season, so don't get your hopes up). It's got a touch of the supernatural to it, and I'm not keen on the ending, but it's another Aussie thriller that I mostly enjoyed a lot.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

imabanana posted:

this is truly fantastic and completely unlike any other tv show

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Secret City is low key hilarious, in how pretty it makes Canberra look.

Have a go with Glitch after you're done with The Code's second season (oh, and Lucy Lawless isn't in the second season, so don't get your hopes up). It's got a touch of the supernatural to it, and I'm not keen on the ending, but it's another Aussie thriller that I mostly enjoyed a lot.

Netflix seems to only have S1?... Maybe they're spacing out the release or just didn't buy both seasons. Lucy Lawless was not that heavily featured in the first season so I don't think I'd miss her.

Thanks for the recommendation. We watched the first season of Glitch a while ago and liked the premise pretty intense to have your dead wife come back to life when you've now got her best friend pregnant but I can't remember why we didn't keep going. Definitely might go back to it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got waaaaay too high and watched through all of LARPs on Amazon. Do not get high and watch through all of LARPs. When I woke up I finished the last episode and if the rest of the series was that bad then it's a good thing it's all lost in an edible mist. Every single actor in it looked really familiar to me though. No idea why.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I binged Mad Men for the first time back in the Winter and absolutely loved it from start to finish so I was naturally recommended to check out Halt and Catch Fire which I finally am. And I’m halfway through season 2 and I just don’t think I’m into it? Idk why, it feels like a perfectly serviceable show, but it hasn’t hooked me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I binged Mad Men for the first time back in the Winter and absolutely loved it from start to finish so I was naturally recommended to check out Halt and Catch Fire which I finally am. And I’m halfway through season 2 and I just don’t think I’m into it? Idk why, it feels like a perfectly serviceable show, but it hasn’t hooked me.

I don't think Halt and Catch Fire is particularly well written, but I still love watching the main actors - they carry it, imo, so if you aren't as into them then I can imagine it being a fairly average show.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wasn't all that into it either but I know a lot of people love it, so to each their own I guess. I found the characters and their personalities more annoying than interesting.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Halt and Catch Fire is one of those shows people have recommended with the added emphasis that it "gets good in season 2." I couldn't make it through the first season to get to the alleged good stuff. Same thing with 12 Monkeys; people keep saying it "gets good in season 3!" but the first season is unbearably bad and formulaic with a terrible lead. There are only four seasons! That's a lot of bad show to sit through to get to something less bad.

I will no longer be taking recommendations on shows that "get good in season #." There's too much good TV to watch to waste time on shows that don't have their poo poo together.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Parks and Rec is literally the only show I know where the claim of “the first season sucks it gets way better afterwards” is true. And that’s a sitcom not a prestige drama.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ran through all of Beforeigners last weekend. Strong Travelers vibes, but with way more titties and dongs visible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think Halt and Catch Fire is the best show since Mad Men, but if you are not into by now it’s not for you.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Parks and Rec is literally the only show I know where the claim of “the first season sucks it gets way better afterwards” is true. And that’s a sitcom not a prestige drama.

The first season is also only 6 episodes, barely 2 hours of television, and since it's a comedy, it's easily skippable. For some of these dramas, you're talking anywhere from 10 to 20 hours of poo poo you have to sit through to get to something that might be good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Star Trek:TNG as well, and since it's highly episodic you can just skip the bad stuff entirely.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think I'd say the same about Schitt's Creek too. And arguably Buffy, though I think the first season is decent, just not on the same level as the next few seasons.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It really is true of Parks and Rec. I was surprised by the jump in quality. I'd say it's more after the first and second season though. Season 3 to me is where it starts getting good.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Justice for Mark Brendanawicz!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well after Season 1 of Parks and Rec they outright changed the formula of the show because they knew they had the makings of a dud.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Madurai posted:

Ran through all of Beforeigners last weekend. Strong Travelers vibes, but with way more titties and dongs visible.

Norwegian is the most hosed up sounding language I've heard and it genuinely sounds foreign to my Asian American ears. I'm sure I'm missing some of the nuances since they also speak old norse and some other language throughout the show but I really love the show.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

The new Saved by the Bell is fantastic. It's so much funnier than I expected. If you've got Peacock, check it out.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well after Season 1 of Parks and Rec they outright changed the formula of the show because they knew they had the makings of a dud.

It was The Office Part 2 until they realized that wasn't going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think that it applies quite often, at least with comedies.

The Office - has the exact same situation as Parks and Rec where the first season is too dry and depressing, is 6 episodes, and can be skipped.
The Simpsons - awkward, off-putting, bad animation, depressing at times. Improves drastically with season 2 and by season 3 is the show we loved.
Always Sunny - to some extent because Frank isn't there and their personalities and quirks aren't quite developed yet.
BoJack Horseman - it gets good around the 8th episode, but the opener is loving dire and the next few aren't much better.
American Dad - it later became Actually Good but the first season is incredibly forced, dated, and cringy.
Seinfeld - first season is super dull and boring and hardly resembles the show people remember it as.