Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Still in awe of how badly Starmer's been loving everything up. For the Labour party to move on and start being a coherent opposition: having positions on Brexit, preparing for the next election etc, there are 2 prerequisites: the antisemitism thing needs to be put to bed, so the party can move past it and the toxic atmosphere of mistrust that's developed in the party needs to be resolved. At every step, Starmer seems to be taking the worst possible option and ensuring that they become irresolvable, it's amazing really.

Hey, new page: no need to do a snipe, 'cos my original post was pretty much perfect anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

let's not mention the type 45 destroyers and the "can't operate in warm water" fiasco (which still isn't fixed)

Hey it's fixed for half of them! No we're not going to fix the other half, after all what are the chances we're going to be going to war somewhere warm?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soricidus posted:

The lords sucks as an institution but do you really want boris to be the one to reform it?
I mean if we went by the implication that Boris reformed it by waddling in there wearing a suicide belt then that would be something that one would need to have parliamentary privilege before I'd feel comfortable suggesting one way or the other. :nyoron:

e: ^^ In the grim climate of the near future there is only warm.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hey, new page: no need to do a snipe, 'cos my original post was pretty much perfect anyway.

* Other post critics have called this differently

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I loving hate jlm

https://twitter.com/HowUpsetting/status/1329716845704863751?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently Angela Rayner/labour have put out a trans positive statement and half of twitter is just going "lol rosie duffield" at her/the party.

Which is entirely deserved.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

I loving hate jlm
JLM sounds like a poor Romanization of JRM. Not just the initialism but half the things they say.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Was having a chat with the ol’ mother this morning and it got a touch political.

Now bearing in mind i’ve managed to successfully convince her that Brexit was not a good idea, and that Boris was fun on Have I Got News For You but is actually a pretty awful person and a poo poo politician and bad for the country, my latest challenge is that she thinks Corbyn is a nasty person who shouldn’t have been let back into Labour.

She almost exclusively watches BBC news with a smattering of Sky, and I’m very out of touch with Corbyn / Labour / anti-semitism, so what are the key points I need to bear in mind? My vague knowledge from reading here is that Corbyn became leader, saw their was problematic behaviour in the party, tried to deal with it, got sort of blocked for a couple of years but made some progress, but not enough for that report and his “failure” to reduce anti semitic behaviour to 0 was used to smear him all over the walls.

Basically looking for a brief / concise fact check as I’ve pretty much no faith in any news media these days.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently Angela Rayner/labour have put out a trans positive statement and half of twitter is just going "lol rosie duffield" at her/the party.

Which is entirely deserved.

As usual it's Rayner not Keith who has put out a statement about minorities too

Only comment on that islamophobia report was her replying to someone's tweet about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broadly correct yes, with a bit of trying to keep a unified front to win elections while the party apparatus was full of people just wrecking in all possible directions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

As usual it's Rayner not Keith who has put out a statement about minorities too

Only comment on that islamophobia report was her replying to someone's tweet about it

I wonder if it's cos he doesn't care or if it's because he wants someone else to catch the flak from the gammons.

Or rather, I wonder which is the principal motivator as I am sure it is both.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if it's cos he doesn't care or if it's because he wants someone else to catch the flak from the gammons.

Or rather, I wonder which is the principal motivator as I am sure it is both.

his team is entirely white men so i don't think it registers except for antisemitism since the victims are usually white

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jfc

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1329486913561120768?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hey it's fixed for half of them! No we're not going to fix the other half, after all what are the chances we're going to be going to war somewhere warm?

well only one is in Birkenhead getting the extra generator fitted, two are still laid up in Portsmouth as they have been since they gave me an all access pass to the base

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

andyf posted:

Was having a chat with the ol’ mother this morning and it got a touch political.

Now bearing in mind i’ve managed to successfully convince her that Brexit was not a good idea, and that Boris was fun on Have I Got News For You but is actually a pretty awful person and a poo poo politician and bad for the country, my latest challenge is that she thinks Corbyn is a nasty person who shouldn’t have been let back into Labour.

She almost exclusively watches BBC news with a smattering of Sky, and I’m very out of touch with Corbyn / Labour / anti-semitism, so what are the key points I need to bear in mind? My vague knowledge from reading here is that Corbyn became leader, saw their was problematic behaviour in the party, tried to deal with it, got sort of blocked for a couple of years but made some progress, but not enough for that report and his “failure” to reduce anti semitic behaviour to 0 was used to smear him all over the walls.

Basically looking for a brief / concise fact check as I’ve pretty much no faith in any news media these days.

Didn't the EHRC report basically exonerate Corbyn personally?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Britannia will rule the waves again, and to ensure this we have commissioned the mighty battleship HMS Canute

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Yeah that got a big yikes from me too.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

His Divine Shadow posted:

While the report lacked evidence regarding Corbyn's obvious guilt, it also did not specifically exonerate him from colluding with Russia.

signed, a Guardian columnist

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

His Divine Shadow posted:

Think you'll find his grandson Adolf Hitler did the Holocaust and he made Margaret Hodge try to build a block of flats on a Jewish cemetery when she was a councillor.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

I loving hate jlm

Without the caps I thought you were just being mean to someone called jim and I couldn' work out who it was...

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

thespaceinvader posted:

Without the caps I thought you were just being mean to someone called jim and I couldn' work out who it was...

Jim Pickard is a oval office if that helps.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I keep reading JLM as Jewish Lives Matter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They don't think that tho.

thespaceinvader posted:

Turns out that the only thing he fixed was the investigation. :pedo:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

All this internal wrangling is all well and good but there are external factors that have to be addressed.

Namely, the BoD and the Jewish community at large have named JC an anti-Semite, and until that stain is removed we aren't going anywhere.

It could be said that the BoD is a Tory front, but when you also have the CAA, the JLM and the major Jewish newspapers all saying the same thing it looks like non-Jews telling Jews what is and isn't anti-Semitic. Would it be acceptable to do the same to the Muslim community or Black community?

How on earth do we bring the Jewish community round to our PoV? Pointing at the EHRC report and saying "see, exonerated" feels very Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings.

There are allies out there in Jewdas and JVL but they are sidelined as not being mainstream, so I just don't know how we on the left start to rebuild our relationship with the Jewish Community.

And we really have to, without a clean bill of health, the left will always be tarnished with this brush.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Yeah that got a big yikes from me too.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/861305939600736256?s=20

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is JLM even a part of the Jewish Community as you don't have to be in Labour or indeed a Jew to be a member?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

notaspy posted:

There are allies out there in Jewdas and JVL but they are sidelined as not being mainstream, so I just don't know how we on the left start to rebuild our relationship with the Jewish Community.

And we really have to, without a clean bill of health, the left will always be tarnished with this brush.
That's exactly why it was started, because it hit straight at a weakness in the left, that you can't tell a marginalized group how to feel about things. (Which is not actually a weakness applied sincerely.)

What they've unleashed through this is potentially dangerous to them and others though, a class driven left that doesn't give a poo poo about that.

(fwiw, 'the Jewish community' that consists of Jews in Islington, Israeli brickies in Manchester, the Chabad movement, etc. mostly know what's going on with this and how malicious it is.)

To defeat the hard right you must become etc etc

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

andyf posted:

Basically Rachel Riley got called some names on twitter because she didn't like the realisation that she was actually a nasty tory and Jeremy Corbyn is to blame.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Speaking of anti-semitism, I did manage to get an article on the BBC History website taken down today

Crashbee posted:

I'm annoyed by the content of the article '10 things you might not know about Simon de Montfort' https://www.historyextra.com/period/medieval/facts-simon-de-montfort-history-death-famous-parliament/

This article justifies de Montfort as not being anti-Semitic:

'Not any more than other Christians of that era. Apart from remembering that it was a time of crusades and religious fervour, medieval people lived by a completely different value system to our own. Judging them in terms of modern political correctness is therefore presumptuous and misconceived.'

Firstly, even if he wasn't any more anti-Semitic than anyone else, that's still pretty anti-Semitic. It's like saying someone isn't a murderer because they didn't kill more than any other murderers.

Secondly, it doesn't even make sense. I guess we also can't judge Hitler as an anti-Semite because he lived by a different value system and judging him in terms of modern political correctness is therefore presumptuous.

Thirdly, the article says he's not an anti-Semite because he only expelled Jews from the parts of Leicester he controlled and not from territory he didn't control: 'In Montfort’s case, he expelled the Jews that were living in Leicester following his arrival in 1232. Actually it was only half of Leicester.' How does that make it better?

Fourthly, the article says he's not an anti-Semite because he didn't steal from Jews himself, he only confiscated their belongings from other people then refused to give them back to the original owners: 'Simon forced the perpetrators to turn over their loot, but then condemned himself in the eyes of posterity by using it for his cause.' How does this prove he isn't an anti-Semite?

This article is just justifying racism and you need to take it down.

BBC posted:

Thanks a lot for your message which has come through to me via our legal team. I have read the piece and I completely agree with you that the section on anti-Semitism is problematic for many reasons. I’ve asked our web editor to get the piece taken down and I believe it is now gone from the site.

I’m not sure how this section of the article survived the editing process but we’ll take care not to allow this to happen again. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 20, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

To defeat the hard right you must become etc etc

"You gotta fight fire with fire"

- firefighter, killed in the line of duty

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Basically Rachel Riley got called some names on twitter because she didn't like the realisation that she was actually a nasty tory and Jeremy Corbyn is to blame.

See also David Baddiel and blackface.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is the other part of it too. Twitter is a sewer, and this happened around the ascendancy of the alt-right, so I can absolutely believe anyone got called a bunch of antisemitic slurs by accounts with pepe frog avatars just for existing.

That's wrong and gently caress the people that did it, but the attempts to tie it to Corbyn and 'his trolls' are either mistaken or malicious. "Call the Jewish person vile names ostensibly for criticizing Corbyn but actually because you're a channer and get off on calling Jewish people vile names" is absolutely a *chan MO.

Crashbee posted:

Speaking of anti-semitism, I did manage to get a piece of the BBC History website taken down today
"He only expelled the Jews he was capable of expelling and not those that he wasn't, therefore not antisemitic" is sure a take.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

she was interviewed recently and asked who she'd vote for if an election happened and said tory and when asked about the lib dems stmbled becuase the thought hadn't occurred to her before stating that they can't win

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i know she's a massive racist but loving hell

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1329740758665080832?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

she was interviewed recently and asked who she'd vote for if an election happened and said tory and when asked about the lib dems stmbled becuase the thought hadn't occurred to her before stating that they can't win

She also said the Greens were 'just as bad as Labour' without elaborating. Implying either that the Greens also have a Corbyn-esque literally Hitler villain, or that it was never actually about Corbyn and AS at all. :iiam:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I don't reckon Starmer is going anywhere for the time being. He is going to pull a Theresa May, piss everyone off, not do anything and not leave

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

That's a hell of a take: anyone who isn't jewish is prone to savagery, sadism and dehumanisation, so it's perfectly moral to war crime them into extinction.
[edit]
Also: jewish people can't possibly be expected to have to adapt to other cultures

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

ronya posted:

Apropos of nothing, I stumbled across this essay on London's explosive growth in the 17th century by a RSA historian; I figure it will interest some ITT.

Thanks ronya. Interesting to see the trend of academics outside of academia starting to take off. I mean if a guy making videos about left history via city skyline can making a living from Patreon subscription why not historians? At least in the social sciences the cost of research isn’t much higher than a salary.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hello I'm just going to pretend that the concept of 'human rights' didn't originate in western countries enslaving Africans and then those Africans asking if they too could perhaps engage in law and instead pretend it was based on a 6th century BCE book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted: