Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

Poise doesn't really exist in DS3 outside of weapon skills and the damage absorption difference between heavy armor and tattered rags is utterly insignificant, it really only matters for shields (ex: Dragon Crest Shield makes Midir very easy to kill, because you can raise your shield and prance through the fire breath and not give a gently caress). The monster that can kill you in 3 hits in rags can still kill you in 3 hits in plate mail. Wear armor that A) keeps you under 70% and B) looks rad as hell. IMO If you're going for a Quality build you really can't afford to be dumping points into anything other than VIG/STR/DEX/END. INT/FTH are better suited to hybrid/caster builds, and LUK is 100% useless unless you're doing a Hollow build.

only caveat, unless it's changed since I haven't played in a while: never leave an armor slot empty. it causes a big increase in damage taken that even tattered rags prevent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not actually a big damage increase but yes, there is an increase to damage taken on top of the lower defenses

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I wish there were more fashionable rags in DS3.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny the loincloth is there twice and one version has boots and one doesn't.

Can you respec? I've been sinking points into vit so I can fast roll wearing fancy armor but I think it may be a waste

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

codo27 posted:

Can you respec? I've been sinking points into vit so I can fast roll wearing fancy armor but I think it may be a waste

Yes. Apply to Rosaria in the Cathedral

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

codo27 posted:

Its funny the loincloth is there twice and one version has boots and one doesn't.

It also allows you to use better weapons. My NG+ murderhobo build ended up beating Gael wearing rags, carrying a Black Knight Greatsword and a Black Knight Shield with fastroll.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been looking at the Cinders patch notes between 1.73 and 1.90 and this little gem in one of the more recent patches caught my eye.

- Added Burning Note: start in the Ringed City.

:chloe: I can't think of almost any reason why you'd want to do that.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

It lets you you grab ringed city equipment without having to deal with Demon Prince. Just go back to firelink and follow the usual path afterwards.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Also not that anyone needs further prompting, but Cinders mod good:

And with 1.9 it has official support (via a patch on the cinders nexus page) for the GUNS mod.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Playing this for first time in awhile since just got in on PC. I want to swing big weapons and am not sure whether I want to also maybe use some spells vs using even bigger weapons. Basically: help me decide between pure STR and STR/Fth.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Both are legit. If you wanna go pure smash, STR. If you wanna smash poo poo with lightning, FTH it up on the side.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Zerilan posted:

Playing this for first time in awhile since just got in on PC. I want to swing big weapons and am not sure whether I want to also maybe use some spells vs using even bigger weapons. Basically: help me decide between pure STR and STR/Fth.

Go STR/FTH, get Morne's Hammer, PROFIT

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Morality_Police posted:

Go STR/FTH, get Morne's Hammer, PROFIT

Is Morne's worth that massive stat req it takes to use?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Yes. There are no bad fuckhuge weapons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there are much better fuckhuge weapons you can use if you're not planning on actually using faith

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Is Morne's worth that massive stat req it takes to use?

If you're going STR/FTH it's a really good choice, although you could do just as well with a pure STR weapon like the dragon tooth, ledo's hammer, or the lothric knight UGS. Like And Tyler Too! said, there aren't really any BAD heavy weapons. If you want to go STR/FTH specifically though, Morne's is p. good. The WA clowns on a lot of stuff by poising straight through hits to nuke the unwary or overconfident. At day's end though, just use whatever giant slamhammer speaks to your soul the most.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I had a lot of fun with Vordt's mace when frost got buffed. The glass shattering sound is very satisfying when frost procs.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What does frost do.

The only thing I remember is that around the time of release, most frost weapons weren't worth it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frostbite procs a big chunk of extra damage, similar to bleed, but also slows stamina regen (dunno if this matters for enemies) and increases damage taken for a bit.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Frost is good for the above reasons and is how you win PvP. Frost is extremely good and doesn't need a lovely hollow build to fire off.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Vordt's frostbite proccing in one hit + immediately "curing" it with a torch poke and then reapplying is the combo of God

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Irithyll rapier is a fun weapon for a quality build, and frostbite pings are very satisfying. Kind of a late game weapon unless you kill the Dancer early.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want to experiment but I also stand by my dragonslayer greataxe. Nothing like walking up to a boss dragon and stunning them after 3 hits

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Heavy Great Club = best weapon. Bonk, bonk, bonk all day long.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sakurazuka posted:

Frostbite procs a big chunk of extra damage, similar to bleed, but also slows stamina regen (dunno if this matters for enemies) and increases damage taken for a bit.

It matters for the enemies in that in very limited circumstances you can proc frost on them and watch them kinda posture around at you until their stamina's back, because even the monstrous enemies fuel their attacks with stamina. It's kinda funny

It's not really something you'll notice unless you specifically fish for it though!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Does anyone have any issue running DS3 on PC? It seems like the game is prone to crashing, especially if there's something going on in the background. Last time I tried to stream it on Twitch, I found that I couldn't have the Stream Preview displayed via the Stream Manager, else the game and Firefox tab would crash. Alt-tabbing also seems to make the game crash.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

Does anyone have any issue running DS3 on PC? It seems like the game is prone to crashing, especially if there's something going on in the background. Last time I tried to stream it on Twitch, I found that I couldn't have the Stream Preview displayed via the Stream Manager, else the game and Firefox tab would crash. Alt-tabbing also seems to make the game crash.

Are you running any mods? The only times I've ever had crashes on PC were in Ringed City on the Demon Prince fight when the DLC first came out, and again pretty recently when I started running Cinders.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

Are you running any mods? The only times I've ever had crashes on PC were in Ringed City on the Demon Prince fight when the DLC first came out, and again pretty recently when I started running Cinders.

No, I'm not running any mods. I turned the graphics down to 'Medium' at one point, but I don't think that affected anything.

It's not that I get bad performance; it's just that it will sometimes crash when alt-tabbing, or when loading a new area. In the latter case, I found that a system restart will fix it (which I attribute to computer needing the memory refreshed).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Check the Xbox bar or service or whatever. It was causing my game to have these annoying 10-15 second freezes lately until I updated it through the Windows store

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

codo27 posted:

Check the Xbox bar or service or whatever. It was causing my game to have these annoying 10-15 second freezes lately until I updated it through the Windows store

I can update it, but would I be better off just terminating it from running?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I just started this game up again today to play co-op with a friend, but I've got to say the experience has been consistently ruined by overpowered invaders. I've been through the game a couple times, so I recognize where their equipment comes from. Right now we've only gone through High Wall and just got to the Undead Settlement, but literally every time we connect, we get invaded by some jackass twink whose build is centered around farming level 5 characters. One time we even got invaded by an obvious hacker who didn't take damage at all (we'd attack him and his life total would go down for a split second, then heal back up to full). The most infuriating thing about it is that these people aren't even good at the game. I would catch them off guard and start wailing on them, only to find that I'm doing 5% max HP per hit because of their superior armor/rings, then they'd heal to full because they have fully upgraded Estus while I have only 3 at +0. At this rate we're both going to run out of Embers and no longer be able to play together. Is there any way to get around this poo poo other disconnecting my ethernet?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

I just started this game up again today to play co-op with a friend, but I've got to say the experience has been consistently ruined by overpowered invaders. I've been through the game a couple times, so I recognize where their equipment comes from. Right now we've only gone through High Wall and just got to the Undead Settlement, but literally every time we connect, we get invaded by some jackass twink whose build is centered around farming level 5 characters. One time we even got invaded by an obvious hacker who didn't take damage at all (we'd attack him and his life total would go down for a split second, then heal back up to full). The most infuriating thing about it is that these people aren't even good at the game. I would catch them off guard and start wailing on them, only to find that I'm doing 5% max HP per hit because of their superior armor/rings, then they'd heal to full because they have fully upgraded Estus while I have only 3 at +0. At this rate we're both going to run out of Embers and no longer be able to play together. Is there any way to get around this poo poo other disconnecting my ethernet?

You only get invaded when you're embered, honestly the simplest solution would be to power through Undead Settlement solo and unembered and link up again in Road of Sacrifices which is outside of the twink hell radius iirc

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
You get like a 30 minute timeout where no one can invade you if you get killed by an invader IIRC.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

multijoe posted:

You only get invaded when you're embered, honestly the simplest solution would be to power through Undead Settlement solo and unembered and link up again in Road of Sacrifices which is outside of the twink hell radius iirc

Well yeah, but the whole point of this play through is that we're trying to do co-op as much as possible. I guess we can just say gently caress it and bee-line to the Road of Sacrifices (or past it, since RoS doesn't allow summoning). That's kind of what we've been doing so far out of necessity, but I feel bad voice chatting with my friend who's kind of a Souls noob, telling him to just get to the next area and it'll probably be better there, when so far that hasn't been the case. I'll take your advice about twink hell mostly stopping after that point, though. When I played through this game solo I was unembered 99% of the time so I have no idea where people typically invade.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 20, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Well yeah, but the whole point of this play through is that we're trying to do co-op as much as possible. I guess we can just say gently caress it and bee-line to the Road of Sacrifices (or past it, since RoS doesn't allow summoning). That's kind of what we've been doing so far out of necessity, but I feel bad voice chatting with my friend, who's kind of a Souls noob, telling him to just get to the next area and it'll probably be better there.

Unless they've changed it since launch you can definitely summon in Road of Sacrifices, I summoned my brother a ton there for PVP gimmick shenanigans

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

multijoe posted:

Unless they've changed it since launch you can definitely summon in Road of Sacrifices, I summoned my brother a ton there for PVP gimmick shenanigans

Oh interesting, I'll check that out then. I think they must have changed it because I remember trying to summon a friend back when the game was new, and throughout that entire area my Soapstone was grayed out. He was trying to do the same thing, and we both tried it multiple times, so I don't think it was some sort of network bullshit. I'll give it another try though, thanks for the tip.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got summoned to a game the other day with like 4 or 5 guys fists only. I cant believe people are still getting off on this stupid gimmick poo poo. Straight up 1v1 pvp or dont waste my time

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

codo27 posted:

I got summoned to a game the other day with like 4 or 5 guys fists only. I cant believe people are still getting off on this stupid gimmick poo poo. Straight up 1v1 pvp or dont waste my time

Get a load of Admiral Killjoy over here.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
everything that makes souls pvp good is that it's not made to be evenly matched 1v1s on a level playing field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

codo27 posted:

:goonsay: