Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
TooMuchAbstraction's tip about not getting sniped above chasms so you don't fall down and aggro a million enemies on your way is super important. I wouldn't exactly say Noita is a stealth game but you do want to be really conscious of where enemies are, what they're capable of, at what range or angles they're dangerous to you, etc. Being able to initiate encounters and choose the terms of them is crucial -- even with a fairly weak wand kit, most enemies through the end of Hisii Base aren't too bad to fight fair, when you're able to dodge and take cover and time your shots and stuff. It's when they roll in offscreen while you're already in another encounter, or the floor is electrified, or you're on fire and panicking, or whatever that you really consistently get hosed. Move slowly and think about how you want to approach enemies or if you even need to approach them at all -- most enemies, once aggroed, will chase you really loving far if they're able to, so be very conscious about the mobs you pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

:stonk:

What the gently caress is that?

e:

Have you ever seen a witch so grossly incandescent?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 20, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:staredog:

E: not a mod, this is an actual bug on the beta branch right now.

every 181 frames it gets another always-cast explosion on drunk enemies

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 20, 2020

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

So what happens when you shoot drunk enemies? You have to test it for witch science.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

:staredog:

E: not a mod, this is an actual bug on the beta branch right now.

every 181 frames it gets another always-cast explosion on drunk enemies

Seems like this item is another reference.

This here is a vihta.

You use it in the sauna to whip yourself and others (to help blood circulation). So it's kind of fitting that it comes with explosion on drunken enemies.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Hey Noita dev dude, maybe acid shouldn't have exactly the same color as toxic sludge? Tired of getting killed by small pools of it that are indistinguishable from sludge when mixed with blood and oil and poo poo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Greenplastic posted:

Hey Noita dev dude, maybe acid shouldn't have exactly the same color as toxic sludge? Tired of getting killed by small pools of it that are indistinguishable from sludge when mixed with blood and oil and poo poo

Acid is a brighter green, but I recognize that could be hard to differentiate for some folks. It'd be nice if the game had a higher-contrast-liquids mode or something. Though there's so many liquids that I feel like there's always gonna be something that's easy to confuse.

The other thing to realize though is that acid almost never just happens on its own. Basically the only sources are enemies that bleed acid (requiring them to die, which requires either you to kill them or infighting), a specific wand trap in the mines, rare acid flasks, and some lategame vats that have to get cracked open. For it to be sitting around, stable, it has to be pooled on top of another liquid that it doesn't react with, or contained by glass. That circumstance is extraordinarily rare.

Protip: do not try to get the money back from those acid gasbag enemies. It's not happening. I know the thing dropped like 6 bits of gold! It's so tempting! But the gold will have timed out by the time the acid's done eating the terrain and dispersing, and trying to grab it earlier risks taking way more damage than it's worth.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Acid can sometimes just sit around in a pool for a while before reacting all of a sudden. If you pour another liquid on top of it that's often enough to disturb it and get it to go.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

We've adjusted the colours a bunch to make them more different, but there are a bunch of limitations to the colouring that make it harder to make them fully distinguishable; the game has a very high variance to the contrasts between different materials & materials and the background, so things can't be too dark or light, and the existence of various other magical liquids make it easy to make two liquids look more different and then accidentally ending up having the same issue with another pair of materials.

That said, I haven't heard that specific complaint in a long time, so I wasn't aware that it was still an issue. Thanks for reporting that, and sorry about it. For more info, are they literally indistinguishable for you, or are you talking more about a difficulty in distinguishing them when there's a lot of other stuff around them or there're only a couple pixels of either?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
simply explode the acid or push it away with the wind gust wand, then you can get the sweet sweet gold

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I tried shooting a few enemies with that wand and it was extremely underwhelming. It basically did a single weak explosion.

TeaJay posted:

Seems like this item is another reference.

This here is a vihta.

You use it in the sauna to whip yourself and others (to help blood circulation). So it's kind of fitting that it comes with explosion on drunken enemies.

There's a "vasta" too that can spawn in the same spot, so what's that a reference to? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've only gotten one "exploding homing death cloud" wand recently, and my impression is that they've nerfed it a fair amount, like each cloud can only explode once per target or something like that? It used to be that the cloud would spam explosions pretty frequently. They're still good wands, just not nearly as OP as they used to be.

It also wouldn't surprise me if a given projectile can only have one copy of each "explodes on X-stained enemies" modifier on it. Which is a shame.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Hempuli posted:

We've adjusted the colours a bunch to make them more different, but there are a bunch of limitations to the colouring that make it harder to make them fully distinguishable; the game has a very high variance to the contrasts between different materials & materials and the background, so things can't be too dark or light, and the existence of various other magical liquids make it easy to make two liquids look more different and then accidentally ending up having the same issue with another pair of materials.

That said, I haven't heard that specific complaint in a long time, so I wasn't aware that it was still an issue. Thanks for reporting that, and sorry about it. For more info, are they literally indistinguishable for you, or are you talking more about a difficulty in distinguishing them when there's a lot of other stuff around them or there're only a couple pixels of either?

At least for me (with deuteranomaly colorblindness) on my current LCD LED monitor they're not completely indistinguishable but it's hard to identify which one I'm looking at unless there's a lot of it AND some other contrasting color nearby for comparison.

It is impossible to make a single solution that works 100% of the time for everyone, but there's the option of making a configurable filter that replaces colors (maybe a hotkey to swap between presets and toggle the filter, also maybe a set of default presets on the workshop) so users can define what they think is important? Like in combat if stuff is on fire and exploding and spraying lasers everywhere I don't really need to care about the difference between copper and silver, or terrain except for hardness, but the more visual noise there is the easier it is to die to something stupid and then have to look at the replay to see what killed me.

#1 color issue is still "blackened terrain being near-invisible against a dark background" which renders a ton of spells useless/risky, unless I luck into really good wands+modifiers and/or explosion+fire immunity, or just cheat.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've only gotten one "exploding homing death cloud" wand recently, and my impression is that they've nerfed it a fair amount, like each cloud can only explode once per target or something like that? It used to be that the cloud would spam explosions pretty frequently. They're still good wands, just not nearly as OP as they used to be.

It also wouldn't surprise me if a given projectile can only have one copy of each "explodes on X-stained enemies" modifier on it. Which is a shame.
Last I tried (a couple of days ago in beta) Damage Plus on a cloud still hits every ~third(?) frame.

edit: unrelated fun beta bug - a new perk that gives you a permanent plasmabeam? Cool. Dying if you point it in the wrong direction, because the beam hits your own hitbox? Funny.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 20, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Half of my deaths are due to single pixels I can't see either causing me to get hung up trying to move, or causing a spell to blow up in my face.

There's probably nothing that can be done about it in this engine, it's just a thing better players than me account for.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Eric the Mauve posted:

Half of my deaths are due to single pixels I can't see either causing me to get hung up trying to move, or causing a spell to blow up in my face.

There's probably nothing that can be done about it in this engine, it's just a thing better players than me account for.

A 'highlight solids' option might be good, but difficult to implement.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i just died because a frozen gas canister was in a frozen state in a pile of snow, which makes it almost the same color as snow. not complaining but yeah that was a stupid death

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/yw46kRv.mp4

Today I learned that those harpoon robots are completely immune to explosions.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

There's a "vasta" too that can spawn in the same spot, so what's that a reference to? :v:

Vihta and vasta are basically synonyms, with Eastern Finns using word vasta and Western Finns using word Vihta.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shibawanko posted:

i just died because a frozen gas canister was in a frozen state in a pile of snow, which makes it almost the same color as snow. not complaining but yeah that was a stupid death

Not sure the canisters need to be in a frozen state, I think they're just considered denser than snow by the game so they sink into it and become hidden. I've died many, many times to this feature.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

I tried shooting a few enemies with that wand and it was extremely underwhelming. It basically did a single weak explosion.

The eternal battle between the half of Finland who calls it a vihta and the other ones that call it a vasta.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
New sawblade spell

Go on, just cast it. You know you want to

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm imagining a giga sawblade with 8 regular sawblades orbiting it, and whenever any one of them touches the terrain it rebounds back towards you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The giant blades are actually really devastating on trigger wands with homing, but you have to be super careful to always shoot from behind cover or you will die.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
my recent slime cloud always cast explode on slimey enemies wand seemed to go off more than once per enemy with homing, but then my explosion on drunk enemy cloud of spirits wand did not

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dyzzy posted:

New sawblade spell

Go on, just cast it. You know you want to

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I just found an amazing wand in the temple after jungle, 0.2 in both cooldowns, 700+ mana recharge, 300+ mana and always cast increased critical chance, 14 slots. After some meh runs this looked great! Finally a base to build a great wand from, just gotta find some good spells in the vault, and I have loads of black holes and drills to dig up with(And repell projectiles for the black holes!)
Also, ambrosia check!
Pheromones for healing check!

A chainsaw, a luminous beam, charged and bubbly bounce modifiers into tripple into 3 bouncing bolts should spew little bouncy things until then!

Oh I accidently threw out a spell I want to save into the water pool oh well let's just get it quickly*Dies horribly due to no electric immunity* :v:

Don't Noita when tired!

Laughed for like 2 minutes, I love this dumb game so much :allears:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If I didn't have iframes from goki's mod I'd be super loving dead here and I gave myself like 10k hp for testing purposes

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

It auto boomerang homing's on you. That's amazing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

It auto boomerang homing's on you. That's amazing.

It also homes, pierces and digs extremely dense rock like it isn't even there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

silentsnack posted:

At least for me (with deuteranomaly colorblindness) on my current LCD LED monitor they're not completely indistinguishable but it's hard to identify which one I'm looking at unless there's a lot of it AND some other contrasting color nearby for comparison.

It is impossible to make a single solution that works 100% of the time for everyone, but there's the option of making a configurable filter that replaces colors (maybe a hotkey to swap between presets and toggle the filter, also maybe a set of default presets on the workshop) so users can define what they think is important? Like in combat if stuff is on fire and exploding and spraying lasers everywhere I don't really need to care about the difference between copper and silver, or terrain except for hardness, but the more visual noise there is the easier it is to die to something stupid and then have to look at the replay to see what killed me.

#1 color issue is still "blackened terrain being near-invisible against a dark background" which renders a ton of spells useless/risky, unless I luck into really good wands+modifiers and/or explosion+fire immunity, or just cheat.

Being able to manually set the colors for each liquid would be nice, so players can set something that works for them.

Alternatively, have an option to add the various "coated in liquid" icons over liquid. If a pool contains multiple liquids, have multiple icons over it. Then you know for certain what liquids are where without needing to worry about colors, or missing single pixels.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Could also think about putting in one or two more liquid ambient sound effects. Right now you have a bubbling roil for lava (which you only hear when there are large amounts of lava) and a glass cymbal-y sound for every magic liquid (any amount, they all share the same sound).

Having more than a handful would probably get confusing.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 21, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

resistentialism posted:

Could also think about putting in one or two more liquid ambient sound effects. Right now you have a bubbling roil for lava (which you only hear when there are large amounts of lava) and a glass cymbal-y sound for every magic liquid (any amount, they all share the same sound).

Having more than a handful would probably get confusing.

Could put in some for particularly dangerous liquids. Have a unique sound effect for polymorph, bubbling for acid, etc

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

jsoh posted:

my recent slime cloud always cast explode on slimey enemies wand seemed to go off more than once per enemy with homing, but then my explosion on drunk enemy cloud of spirits wand did not

probably the spirits just evaporated, speeded up by the explosion, the cloud of spirits doesn't last nearly as long as the other mists.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

probably the spirits just evaporated, speeded up by the explosion, the cloud of spirits doesn't last nearly as long as the other mists.

If it's boozefog yeah. When the cloud gets ignited the projectile is destroyed, as far as I can tell. And explosions do that instantly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would personally suggest acid would benefit from a fuming effect like some of the potions have because I also cannot see the colour difference.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just a whole poo poo-ton of nukes?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i kind of wish the loose vein gold wasnt really there in the early game, or maybe just a few spots. once i get a wand that can drill i feel compelled to start mining and mining is boring

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i kind of wish the loose vein gold wasnt really there in the early game, or maybe just a few spots. once i get a wand that can drill i feel compelled to start mining and mining is boring

It makes me wish for a "reverse explosion" that forcefully rips gold out of weaker materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just a whole poo poo-ton of nukes?

a way to cheese out infinite spells to nukes and a wand that farts out a zillion bouncing bursts.