Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wrong Thread.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's some potentially NWS stuff in there, just FYI.

But yes, it's incredible.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Comment is was going to make before finding back room in the basement:

Why don't people make their bed and throw away the literal bags of garbage before taking photos of a house they are trying to sell? I see it so often.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just realized this is the wrong thread. Meant to post that in the chat thread. My bad. Ignore. Sorry.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Marvel Unlimited only has the recoloured version of Simonson’s Thor. Is there a general consensus on how acceptable the recolour is? The main example I know of recoloured art is The Incal and the new version of that is hideous.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nemesis_hub posted:

Marvel Unlimited only has the recoloured version of Simonson’s Thor. Is there a general consensus on how acceptable the recolour is? The main example I know of recoloured art is The Incal and the new version of that is hideous.

It's terrible. It's still worth reading though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Uthor posted:

Comment is was going to make before finding back room in the basement:

Why don't people make their bed and throw away the literal bags of garbage before taking photos of a house they are trying to sell? I see it so often.

Those guys apparently got arrested for running a theft/sell on eBay ring so it might not have been in their priorities

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hubbardologist posted:

There's a bunch of Hickman FF for sale on comixology. I've never read any FF, but have heard pretty much only good things about his run.

However, I'm sort of hot and cold on Hickman so far (I found HoX/PoX to have too much worldbuilding and not enough story, enjoyed the first four trade paperbacks of East of West, and bounced off Manhattan Projects after the first trade paperback). Is it worth checking out given that?
Sorry I'm a few days late on this, and I realise you've already been sold on the series, but it's a good choice. I wish they would re-print the omnibuses (spellcheck says omnibii is wrong. hmmmmm), because I would love them in HC, but can't afford what they go for used.
For maximum impact, do as I did:
Read the entire Hickman FF run on the recommendation of this thread as one of the first couple stories you've ever read in comics, well before understanding how (minor comics in general meta conceptual spoiler)death works in comics. Get absolutely floored by the character interactions between Spider-Man and Franklin. Ask yourself: "Why am I crying? I never cry from movies or novels?!" Believe the kayfabe completely without knowing better

Prerequisite conditions include: High levels of credulity, and not reading super hero comics for the first ~3-4 decades or so of life.

Yeah, there's some decent character writing in there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

B33rChiller posted:

Sorry I'm a few days late on this, and I realise you've already been sold on the series, but it's a good choice. I wish they would re-print the omnibuses (spellcheck says omnibii is wrong. hmmmmm), because I would love them in HC, but can't afford what they go for used.
For maximum impact, do as I did:
Read the entire Hickman FF run on the recommendation of this thread as one of the first couple stories you've ever read in comics, well before understanding how (minor comics in general meta conceptual spoiler)death works in comics. Get absolutely floored by the character interactions between Spider-Man and Franklin. Ask yourself: "Why am I crying? I never cry from movies or novels?!" Believe the kayfabe completely without knowing better

Prerequisite conditions include: High levels of credulity, and not reading super hero comics for the first ~3-4 decades or so of life.

Yeah, there's some decent character writing in there.

I already knew he came back when I read it the first time and that issue still floored me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Johnny's death is about where I dropped it because I realised the only bits I liked involved Reed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Johnny's death is about where I dropped it because I realised the only bits I liked involved Reed.

You loving fool

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What the gently caress

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I would never recommend Hickman's run on anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I would never recommend Hickman's run on anything.

We know.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I need some good all ages or at least PG13 horror comics. I wanted to pick something up for my son for Christmas, he's 8. I grabbed a tales from the crypt but I think it's a bit much. I'm debating Hellboy.
Was there ever a Tales from the Crypt Keeper series or anything like that? Or just other books like people can recommend that will only scar him a little

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

I need some good all ages or at least PG13 horror comics. I wanted to pick something up for my son for Christmas, he's 8. I grabbed a tales from the crypt but I think it's a bit much. I'm debating Hellboy.
Was there ever a Tales from the Crypt Keeper series or anything like that? Or just other books like people can recommend that will only scar him a little

The Scary Godmother series by Jill Thompson has been a big hit at bedtime with my 3 yo daughter. It's a sweet story about a little girl going out trick or treating without grownups for the first time, being ditched by her older cousin, and discovering a world filled with all the spoooooky things, all guided by her own fairy Scary Godmother. Thompson did all the writing and artwork, which includes some very nice watercolours. Not really horror, but spooky light, and might be geared a bit young for your fella, but worth checking out.

ETA: There's also Bone, which is more fantasy than horror, but has scary parts, and is generally a great book to recommend to anyone.
Comdedy answer: Ed Piskor is serializing Red Room at patreon.com/edpiskor. 2-3 pages/week. $3/month gets you first look, and the archives.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 20, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Would Outer Darkness be too much for an eight-year-old? It's a sci-fi book about a spaceship crew full of rogues and rejects, traveling through space full of Lovecraftian horrors on a ship powered by an angry captive demon god. It is creepy, but the art is more cartoony than hyper-realistic.

I remember kids loving gross stuff, being equally repulsed and amused by things that are disgusting. For that, there's the action-horror-crime-comedy Chew, about an FDA agent who gets psychic readings from anything he eats, so he ends up having to eat some really gross stuff in order to solve cases. It takes place in a food-obsessed world, so a lot of characters are introduced with different food-related super powers, and the art is even more cartoony.

Both of these series are written by John Layman. But I don't have kids and I'm not really friends with any kids, so I'm not sure about the appropriateness.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Apocalypse Taco by Nathan Hale has great creepy visuals to go with its premise of "kids run afoul of horrors while on a late-night taco run." Fans of Junji Ito will feel seen.

Baba Yaga's Assistant by Emily Carroll is another good spooky pick for kids. Working for a witch!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Leave It to Chance might be what you're looking for.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Selachian posted:

Leave It to Chance might be what you're looking for.

Why has this never been published digitally? i found the first few issues when I went back home a few years ago and would love to read the whole thing sometime.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

These are all good but I’m also hoping for more of an anthology vibe like the EC stuff, rather than long form stories. Any ideas there?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I would say read it yourself first to make sure it's okay for your kid, but Immortal Hulk is loving amazing.

Emily The Strange is more fantasy than horror but it's on the spooky side and I can't think of anything inappropriate for an 8 year old in it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Burdens of Beast is a great horror but might be a bit.....sad for a kid. Think of Homeward Bound mixed with Lovecraft.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

Burdens of Beast is a great horror but might be a bit.....sad for a kid. Think of Homeward Bound mixed with Lovecraft.

I actually had that one in my cart but then I reread the digital version I already own and decided it was a bit too gory for right now, but definitely one I'll get him in a couple year.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Along these lines, I was thinking of getting my 9 year old some trades for Christmas. He hasn't really read any comics yet, but I know he's enjoyed the Avengers game on Playstation, so I was going to use that as a starting point. I haven't read it yet myself, but I assume the first volume of Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel is appropriate? Any other Avengers related comics that might be appropriate? I vaguely recall there being a Marvel Adventures line a while ago that was geared towards that age range, but it seems out of print - is there a current line aimed at younger readers?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WaffleZombie posted:

Along these lines, I was thinking of getting my 9 year old some trades for Christmas. He hasn't really read any comics yet, but I know he's enjoyed the Avengers game on Playstation, so I was going to use that as a starting point. I haven't read it yet myself, but I assume the first volume of Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel is appropriate? Any other Avengers related comics that might be appropriate? I vaguely recall there being a Marvel Adventures line a while ago that was geared towards that age range, but it seems out of print - is there a current line aimed at younger readers?

Kamala Khan stuff is pretty good, Squirrel Girl is also good, but it has a lot of words so might be too much for your kid (just flip through one before buying it, content wise I don't think there's anything inappropriate).

Beyond Ms Marvel are there any specific heroes he likes? most of them have individual stories that would be age appropriate.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WaffleZombie posted:

The Marvel Adventure books are out of print but you can usually find the digests for only a few dollars and they're both fun and appropriate for a young audience.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ms. Marvel, either.

Power Pack is a group of kid superheroes that Marvel has published sporadically. It's often written pretty well, targeted to a younger audience, and features them meeting other heroes. I don't know about the most recent series and the original Louise Simonson series might not engage a nine year old in 2020, but the ones by Marc Sumerak from about ten years ago are probably good. There's a lot of short miniseries that are the Power Pack Meets __________ that are collected in small digests.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have most of the marvel adventure digests that I picked up for a buck a piece for my son, who was about that age. The stories vary significantly in quality, and there are some artifacts of the time they were made re: sexism and casual racism or homophobia. Nothing too overt, but definitely there.

I’d recommend the Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane series and the Spidey series by Robbie Thompson for some extremely wholesome super hero books for kids. I’m struggling to think of really good kid friendly Avengers books though. Honestly it depends a lot on your kid, I read stuff like giant size Xmen at that age and loved it, so there’s always just random 60s avengers comics. Big 2 comics were intended primarily for children for a long time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

WaffleZombie posted:

Ms Marvel, Moon Girl, and Squirrel Girl are all pretty popular with my 8 year old.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Thanks for the advice everyone! I accidentally left out that this is for my 9 year old *nephew*, so I'm a little iffy on his exact interests and what he can handle. All I specifically know is that he's currently playing the PS4 Avengers game and he watched and enjoyed Into the Spiderverse with me last year. And I'm sure my sister wouldn't be able to further enlighten me, either. But it looks like I have a good place to start, so thanks.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Comixology has a variety of Valiant trades on pretty deep sale, any opinions on Matt Kindt's work on Rai or Ninjak? I've read off and on some of the other Valiant stuff (but haven't in like 5 years) and generally like Kindt's solo work, but don't have a good reference for his work on non-solo stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zachack posted:

Comixology has a variety of Valiant trades on pretty deep sale, any opinions on Matt Kindt's work on Rai or Ninjak? I've read off and on some of the other Valiant stuff (but haven't in like 5 years) and generally like Kindt's solo work, but don't have a good reference for his work on non-solo stuff.

All of his stuff is worth a read

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Two questions:

1) I’m an (the?) Alpha Flight fan and I know for a bit they were part of Captain Marvel’s stuff, is there a particular run where that all happens and is it worth reading?

2) what Dethlok series are worth reading? I would have assumed the 90s ones were all bad but it looks like they had some solid talent working on them so now I’m not so sure

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Two questions:

1) I’m an (the?) Alpha Flight fan and I know for a bit they were part of Captain Marvel’s stuff, is there a particular run where that all happens and is it worth reading?

2) what Dethlok series are worth reading? I would have assumed the 90s ones were all bad but it looks like they had some solid talent working on them so now I’m not so sure

The Captain Marvel Alph Flight thing was from one of her revamps where she's become the space protector I think the second relaunch of Carol Danvers Captain Marvel.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I was recommended this series when Marvel was giving away digital copies of comics by black creators.

Deathlok: The Souls Of Cyber-Folk: http://www.comixology.com/Deathlok-The-Souls-Of-Cyber-Folk/digital-comic/177278

I was sceptical of a 90's Deathlok, but this was good and the McDuffie written issues were really good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

I was recommended this series when Marvel was giving away digital copies of comics by black creators.

Deathlok: The Souls Of Cyber-Folk: http://www.comixology.com/Deathlok-The-Souls-Of-Cyber-Folk/digital-comic/177278

I was sceptical of a 90's Deathlok, but this was good and the McDuffie written issues were really good.

Yeah that’s what got me looking, McDuffie writing with Sienkiewicz on art is a selling point, then the other run is Joe Casey who can be hit or miss for me but usually a good bet

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The original 70s run is good. Some really cool page layouts and art. The story is fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah that’s what got me looking, McDuffie writing with Sienkiewicz on art is a selling point, then the other run is Joe Casey who can be hit or miss for me but usually a good bet

I don't think Sienkiewicz did any art in the one I linked. I could look again, but he's not listed on the page.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

I don't think Sienkiewicz did any art in the one I linked. I could look again, but he's not listed on the page.

Oh, he just some cover art, I misread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I really want to get Into DC. I don't know where to start. I grew up with Marvel but for some reason as an adult I prefer DC. I've read a smattering of DC books: Moore books, All Star Superman, Superman For All Seasons, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns...currently reading New Frontier now. I want to learn and catch up on the whole mythology of DC and history of DC, and learn the storylines of key characters like Dick Grayson. I picked up New 52 for a while and loved it but the contuity was still confusing. I hear Rebirth is much better?

I love Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I'm particularly obsessed with the idea of Superman basically being a God and just trying to do good in the world where he can.

Also reading Moore's Superman run.

I really want to get into the 80's Teen Titans too.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 30, 2020