Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I definitely haven't noticed them having an easier time developing new content lol

lmao

next year: “the new content is much slimmer than beyond light, but don’t worry! now we can develop new content so much easier.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

The problem with it, like all patrol areas, is there's no reason to go and spend time there. In D1 we were forced in to it because we needed destination materials.
You kind of need it for the pinnacle / exotic vendor, and also Banshee's upgrades if you want a break from grinding nightfalls.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Activision wanted Bungie churning out a Forsaken size expansion every fall with a Destiny numbered sequel every 3rd Fall. Annual content would be in line with BA, JW, Opulence.

Bungie said no because they don't do crunch time and wanted to develop the game in house

Nah. They wanted a full game release to coincide with the console launches this year. They preferred that bungie didn't create expansions, just numbered sequels. And it wouldn't have been BA, JW, Opulence level seasons either. Those didn't pay off. They wanted Dawn, Worthy, Arrivals style seasons.

EDIT: I should say, from what I had heard, none of these conversations got very far because Bungie had just secured $100 million of NetEase money and ejected from their Activision contract the second Activision even mentioned re-negotiating. Activision was looking for a modification because Forsaken didn't sell as well as they wanted (despite being the #1 selling game on both Xbox and Playstation for that September), and Bungie was ready to bounce.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 20, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Managed to get the new warlock gloves - today's Legend lost sector is Bunker E15 or w/e - the one with the Braytech frames. This seems like as easy as it gets, but even at 1250 and all modded up it felt tough as poo poo. I have no idea how you're supposed to do a 1280 where the boss doesn't have distractions.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

SgtSteel91 posted:

It depends

I believe that expansion adds exotic quests for Deathbringer, a fun gimmic rocket launcher, and Xenophage, one of the best machine guns in the game

All of the weapons and armor in the expansion is 'sunsetted' but Bungie might reverse that

Also owning SK allows access to the Garden raid, whose weapons and armour are not sunset. You can also get Divinity from that raid.

I kind of forgot how good Xenophage was after the Season of the Sword Is The Best Heavy Weapon For Everything.

Then today I was doing one of the new wraithborn hunts and the bosses stomp was strong enough to fling you into a wall and insta-kill you whenever you got close. So I switched to Xenophage and one-phased it in 4 shots.

Xenophage: Still really loving good.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 20, 2020

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Welp, RIP the most fun warlock build I've tried: Monte Carlo + Claws of Ahamkara. The melee projectile nerf is loving painful.

TBH though it was DOA once I realized that Glassway is excruciating without using Outbreak Perfected as the anti-barrier weapon.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

The sunsetting issue feels so weird to me because card games figured this out ages ago, you have a two year rotation of weapons allowed in the main pvp playlist and have a legacy format where anything goes.

Anything is usable in pve because who gives a poo poo about pve balance.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LeafyOrb posted:

The sunsetting issue feels so weird to me because card games figured this out ages ago, you have a two year rotation of weapons allowed in the main pvp playlist and have a legacy format where anything goes.

I mean, half the motivation was PVE balance between not wanting OP poo poo to stick around forever, and having motivation to farm up new guns rather then using the same 3-6 perfect roll guns.

If anything the pvp situation is easier. If you want to get people to use new poo poo for crucible, you just nerf the meta poo poo into the ground, like they did with Recluse a bit ago and now Mountaintop.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I would've been fine if they had charged a monthly fee like MMOs do, to expand their studio and push out more interesting content rather than pure chase number content, but that market model was probably too risky looking.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Sample_text posted:

I remember this game used to have cool looking guns?
Now they look like cheap bits of pipe awkwardly stuck together?

https://www.light.gg/db/items/4037745684/bonechiller/
https://www.light.gg/db/items/1197486957/high-albedo/
https://www.light.gg/db/items/3512349612/coriolis-force/

This game really is a disappointment-generating engine, isn't it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good point. We need sci-fi flintlocks. The style would make a pretty slick sniper rifle or hand cannon.

Wait. Hive flintlocks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hobnob posted:

Also owning SK allows access to the Garden raid, whose weapons and armour are not sunset. You can also get Divinity from that raid.

I kind of forgot how good Xenophage was after the Season of the Sword Is The Best Heavy Weapon For Everything.

Then today I was doing one of the new wraithborn hunts and the bosses stomp was strong enough to fling you into a wall and insta-kill you whenever you got close. So I switched to Xenophage and one-phased it in 4 shots.

Xenophage: Still really loving good.

Even though Falling Guillotine meta was the hype train last season, I do think that I got a LOT of use out of xeno and it was my 100% favorite exotic weapon in the game until I purchased Heir Apparent in the brief time it was available. It's still a close second and I feel like Xeno and Heir are two sides of the same coin tbh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Last season? I'm still using Falling Guillotine as much as possible this season and loads of people I'm randomly matched with are too.

Got a really nice LMG in safety first colors from Europa and a nice random grenade launcher (spiked and all) but nothing puts down a problem faster than Falling Guillotine. Unless they fly or are a Fallen Sentinel. In which case I swear a lot.
I kind of feel bad for anyone new or who didn't play last season. There were so many good weapons & opportunities to farm them. This season is kind of scant unless you're particularly lucky or don't mind the extra busywork.

Flipside: the narrative progression has been good.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 20, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LeafyOrb posted:

But this is the case already. There are only two modes of PvP that are light enabled: Iron Banner but who cares it's a light grind mode anyway and Trials which is the super sweaty mode so it's fine for it to have a weapon rotation. For QP and Competitive you can use any weapon you want (and people do!)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah sunsetting has nothin' to do with balance. It's so Bungie doesn't have to invent (m)any new guns, and to ensure players stay on the treadmill. It's no coincidence that anyone who skipped a season or two recently is severely punished for it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And yeah it's entirely driven by the PvE side of things, not at all pvp. Bungie didn't try to design some Trials weapon meta by picking the guns to lift to 1260+; it's just randomly selected slots, archetypes and elements. That's how we get things like 5 new grenade launchers and 1 new hand cannon in a season with 24 new guns

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

xzzy posted:

The cosmodrome was totally fine as patrol zones go, other than the not being able to sparrow between all the areas.

The problem with it, like all patrol areas, is there's no reason to go and spend time there. In D1 we were forced in to it because we needed destination materials.

I don't know how you change that without making everything grindy as gently caress, but in a game where your primary interaction with the world is shooting it I'm sure Bungie could come up with something that involves guns and loot.

In D1 there was the Taken invasions and huge bosses roaming around. In D2 we got Vex Moon invasions for one season. That kind of content is perfect for patrol zones and they need to add it everywhere so there's always these random invasion events by different races where there's nothing more complex than just shooting a load of enemies.

Vex invasions should come back and be added everywhere because they were just fun and the portals looked awesome. Do the same for other races and just have each patrol zone randomize which race is invading a particular area when the event kicks off. Maybe a portal appears in the sky and Vex flood out, maybe a load of Hive ships appear, or Cabal ships, or Taken blobs popping up all around. Just make sure there's no stupid mechanics or balls that need picking up and throwing, keep the difficulty focused on gunplay/movement/powers. Then patrol spaces would be fun to do stuff in because at any moment you could suddenly be playing Serious Sam.

RBX posted:

You guys support sunsetting bit somehow a whole new game with a not lovely engine full of bugs and new armor and weapons and enemies is worse than the same mess with the same reskinned enemies and useless loot?

Our stuff wouldn't be "deleted" it's a new game. I dont understand what's so hard about that. Activision saw they can't reskin poo poo forever on this garbage engine and tried to make them actually make new stuff.

D1 to D2 was supposed to be the "new engine" but there wasn't one, it just got some slight upgrades. D3 would not bring a new engine either. Bungie will never make a new engine, they'll just keep upgrading the same one that they've been using forever.

And I don't think many people support sunsetting? It's a terrible idea as is the content vault.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Eej posted:

But this is the case already. There are only two modes of PvP that are light enabled: Iron Banner but who cares it's a light grind mode anyway and Trials which is the super sweaty mode so it's fine for it to have a weapon rotation. For QP and Competitive you can use any weapon you want (and people do!)

This is the opposite of the situation I’m describing, if PvP was the primary reason for sunsetting then you put most of the play modes on a rotation so its still newbie friendly and have a separate mode for people who already own everything.

But if PvE is the primary reason for sunsetting as people are saying then I’m not really sure I’m on board with what Bungie wants this game to be.

I don’t think the “people just use their favorite guns forever statement” has been true since elemental primaries in D1, especially with how frequently they change the overall gun balance. Any gun that Bungie deems too powerful gets nerfed into oblivion anyway so I just don’t see the point of what they are doing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

D1 to D2 was supposed to be the "new engine" but there wasn't one, it just got some slight upgrades. D3 would not bring a new engine either. Bungie will never make a new engine, they'll just keep upgrading the same one that they've been using forever.
There was a reddit AMA recently where one of the programmers mentioned that you would be able to group up at the tower / in patrol zones because of the 'new mission engine.'

They meant that the way missions work is different, but a bunch of clickbait sites ran with it and said that BL would have a new engine. Then they released it with the gamma settings slightly tweaked and the rumors of a new engine have persisted.

I know 'new engine' has always been a thing but there's a reason it's spreading at the moment.

LeafyOrb posted:

Any gun that Bungie deems too powerful gets nerfed into oblivion anyway so I just don’t see the point of what they are doing.
The point is that Luke Smith plays WoW and it's vored his brain to the point that he thinks constantly having high end gear become unusable is a good thing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 20, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The point is that Luke Smith plays WoW and it's vored his brain to the point that he thinks constantly having high end gear become unusable is a good thing.
It'd be all fine and good if they actually captured the part where gear makes you feel strong in WoW, rather then being a perpetual grind to stay on par with poo poo you've done hundreds of times.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There was a reddit AMA recently where one of the programmers mentioned that you would be able to group up at the tower / in patrol zones because of the 'new mission engine.'

They meant that the way missions work is different, but a bunch of clickbait sites ran with it and said that BL would have a new engine. Then they released it with the gamma settings slightly tweaked and the rumors of a new engine have persisted.

I know 'new engine' has always been a thing but there's a reason it's spreading at the moment.

I really wish he played ffxiv instead.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Game bad.

Play Borderlands 3 instead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

guns aren't stat sticks

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, got Stasis, froze Eramis, sitting about 1170 with blues and moving on to the NTTEx Catalyst and Variks Missions.

And once again Warlocks get the No Fun Allowed Stick for their ability. Shame. The distance nerf is what really seems off to me, as either it's too far and fizzles out, or too close and I just slap them in the face anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

I really wish he played ffxiv instead.
XIV handles gear obsolescence pretty much the same as WoW.

That said, XIV has versions of it's raids that are manageable by matchmade teams that are still fun and engaging....

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/768156109792870431/779353225211805708/falling_IQ.mp4

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got one of those the other day - froze a dawnblade super mid air and they drifted to their death.

And then I fell off the cliff too because I was being reckless with my gliding....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sample_text posted:

Game bad.

No thanks

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Sample_text posted:

Game bad.

Borderlands guns feel like absolute dogshit, gently caress that, and also gently caress randy pitchford.

That said, Destiny 2's gunplay and space magic absolutely prop up an otherwise middling game. The raids are the only other high point but there's so few of them (especially after vaulting lol) but goddamn if wizard halo isn't just really goddamn good.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sample_text posted:

Game bad.

The reason people have been perpetually angry about Destiny for half a decade is that beneath all the stupid bullshit it is at its core one of the best feeling games on the market to play.

Borderlands is a piece of poo poo game on every level, all you've accomplished is telling on yourself for having no standards or ability to discern quality.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I’m generally really happy with D2 right now. I really don’t care about sunsetting at all because I generally don’t grind for guns or get very attached to non-exotics in the first place. Here are my biggest complaints about BL:

* The in game storyline of Eramis felt pretty pointless - the darkness took out half our solar system and we’re fighting some loser Fallen who just lets us pick off her generals one by one before killing her. It worked for Forsaken but really doesn’t here. All the Clovis stuff is so much more interesting.
* There should’ve been a new dungeon, dungeons are my fav PVE content
* Holy poo poo Bungie how are there no new Crucible maps or anything???

Playing D2 is still fun as ever though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of weird how there are old-as-gently caress Fallen and also an endless supply of them seemingly to keep founding houses and scrap cities that fail. Haven't they been here like hundreds of years now? At least the Cabal have the excuse of "we got reinforcements".

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, got Stasis, froze Eramis, sitting about 1170 with blues and moving on to the NTTEx Catalyst and Variks Missions.

And once again Warlocks get the No Fun Allowed Stick for their ability. Shame. The distance nerf is what really seems off to me, as either it's too far and fizzles out, or too close and I just slap them in the face anyway.

It's not so bad once you get used to the range. The statis titan punch is similar, too close and you just regular punch, too far and you lunge and whiff outside the targeting range.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It's kind of weird how there are old-as-gently caress Fallen and also an endless supply of them seemingly to keep founding houses and scrap cities that fail. Haven't they been here like hundreds of years now? At least the Cabal have the excuse of "we got reinforcements".

When you cut off a Fallen’s arm the arm grows into a new Fallen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fallen must breed like mosquitoes because we saved one lousy skiff of fallen and Variks is all "yay you saved us" around the nonstop gunfire of us mowing down wave after wave of evil fallen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

And I don't think many people support sunsetting? It's a terrible idea as is the content vault.

if their tools are as bad as rumored, the “content vault” does have some justification as the potentially least bad option in a lovely situation. we can only speculate as we don’t have firsthand knowledge, but it’s not hard to believe that they truly were hitting a limit on how much content they could realistically keep in the game at once with their current tools and formats, and provided that they adequately made up for the losses and everything they deleted truly would be routinely cycled back, it could work out in the end. also, generally speaking there’s a limit to how many orthogonal activities and modes you can have in a game before it starts to cause population issues because players are too spread out. I don’t think destiny was there as I never had trouble getting groups for matchmade activities, but it would have come up had they continued expanding forever.

sunsetting is a very different matter and after how much time I put into this game and enjoyed it this last year, I’m still upset that they’d ruin so much good content idiotically and unnecessarily. they dumpstered my favorite purple gun within nearly every weapon type I use, and many of those guns weren’t even commonly recommended, I just liked them because their models and sounds made them fun to use. what utter tripe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

That said, XIV has versions of it's raids that are manageable by matchmade teams that are still fun and engaging....
I would genuinely love an easy mode raid just to get in and look around, maybe get any lore collectables. Set it so it gives a powerful reward instead of a pinnacle, keep the unique cosmetics and Hawthorne's challenges for the proper big boy mode.

It just seems mad that they take all of that time to create these huge, impressive areas that less than 4% of the playerbase ever see, and that 4% are generally rushing it without taking it in, and would probably be fine with a blank grey box as long as it was hard to complete and dropped exotics and pinnacles.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Fallen have always been stealthily one of the more dangerous and effective races we contend with as evidenced by the fact that they face disaster after catastrophe after apocalypse and yet they never give up but pick themselves up and go after the next thing that has the slightest, smallest chance of uplifting what remains of their race into a better life or at least a better position. And after the shooting is over and the House of Wolves is destroyed or SIVA's ripped out of their hands or their shot at getting Black Armory tech is blown, the survivors dust themselves off and look for the next thing. And the next thing. They never, ever stop. This is the kind of behaviour you write for protagonists in any other series.

They are incredibly good at this. Think of what Riis-Reborn even represents on Europa, it's in Eventide but it's not part of Eventide - everything in it is Fallen construction. One massive superstructure built from scratch on probably the most inhospitable land we've seen in the solar system that isn't a Haunted Moon, proof that after everything that's happened to them their only real reaction was "alright, next plan - we'll build our own Last City somewhere they won't immediately find it". If Eramis hadn't gone all Dark-crazy it would have even worked! No one had any idea it was there until Variks sent out the distress call.

If the Eliksni hadn't been pushed to the absolute edge of total destruction when the Traveller left they would absolutely be running the galaxy by now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I ran prestige Eater of Worlds and Leviathan like 10-12 times each through Season of Arrivals and never got the Telesto or Acrius catalysts, and as far as I’m aware there’s no way to get them in-game anymore. That’s some horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Pirate Jet posted:

I ran prestige Eater of Worlds and Leviathan like 10-12 times each through Season of Arrivals and never got the Telesto or Acrius catalysts, and as far as I’m aware there’s no way to get them in-game anymore. That’s some horseshit.

*incredibly Bungie voice* Yet.