Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You can use healing items when your last health or psyche point is lost to save yourself. But you have to act fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Is there anything I should know going in? Pretty blind. Just did my first attempt and died almost immediately from asking a question and feeling bad about the answer.

Dont' start with 1 in endurance or volition so you don't instantly die. Sounds like you figured that out tho, so have fun.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Arrhythmia posted:

Dont' start with 1 in endurance or volition so you don't instantly die. Sounds like you figured that out tho, so have fun.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The auto save points can be v far apart, seconding the quick save advice.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

Is there anything I should know going in? Pretty blind. Just did my first attempt and died almost immediately from asking a question and feeling bad about the answer.

There is still a glitch to get hard-locked if you don't figure out a way to pay for your room before (I think) 2 am on the first day. If you need help ask Kim

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Thanks for all the advice so far, yeah I rerolled with 5/2/2/3 to avoid another instadeath. Ran into the meth kid in the backyard, he called me a child molester so I wisely defended my honor and tried to punch him, missed and injured myself in the attempt. Then I climbed up a building to grab my jacket, got stuck there, and accidentally sequence broke by talking to the union boss. His chair was so uncomfortable it literally almost killed me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

Thanks for all the advice so far, yeah I rerolled with 5/2/2/3 to avoid another instadeath. Ran into the meth kid in the backyard, he called me a child molester so I wisely defended my honor and tried to punch him, missed and injured myself in the attempt. Then I climbed up a building to grab my jacket, got stuck there, and accidentally sequence broke by talking to the union boss. His chair was so uncomfortable it literally almost killed me.

You can’t really sequence break, wherever you are you’re on the right path!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

metasynthetic posted:

If only you took the advice of the Best Skill In The Game: Half Light

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also playing through properly after never getting past day one several times and loving it. Keep thinking I should drop everything and do my civic duty to inform the devs about a couple little continuity errors (the petanquers assume previous in-game contact if you don't speak to them until day 3) but I'll forget lol.

Also BSG, discovery, and everything else lately that's done head-buddies.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There is still a glitch to get hard-locked if you don't figure out a way to pay for your room before (I think) 2 am on the first day. If you need help ask Kim

It’s day two and it’s been patched so it’s technically no longer a lock, just a game over. You can sleep in the rubbish bin out back of the whirling but you freeze to death or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

metasynthetic posted:

Whatever you do, don't trust Kim. He's just there to cramp your style.

Drama: Let's lie

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

metasynthetic posted:

It is not a sequence break. It is one of 3 ways to go there.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is a bit strange that there are 3 ways and not one for each of the skill categories.
Can you beat the game without ever talking to Evaret?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

VictualSquid posted:

It is not a sequence break. It is one of 3 ways to go there.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is a bit strange that there are 3 ways and not one for each of the skill categories.
Can you beat the game without ever talking to Evaret?

I don't think so but I am not actually 100% sure on what flags are really needed to progress the story. I know that apparently you can finish the game without ever getting the body down from the tree.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think you have to talk to Evrart to get your gun, but that's not necessary to finish the game. I don't think anything else is locked behind him.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The only strictly mandatory for completion things are :siren: :siren: :siren: Paying for your hotel room on day 1 and 2 so you can at least survive until day 3, do the Shivers checks at the Feld Building then get inside via Savoir Faire teleporting you OR Physical Instrument leading you into the sewers, confront Ruby, survive the mercenary Tribunal, do Klassje's Visual Calculus window check so you get the idea to check out the northern island, then go to the northern island and confront someone there, then go back for your round up by your fellow officers.

It's like breath of the wild in that only about 1% of the things to do are strictly required to actually beat the game(in BOTW's case, simply get out of the tutorial area and kill ganon)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EorayMel posted:

The only strictly mandatory for completion things are :siren: :siren: :siren: Paying for your hotel room on day 1 and 2 so you can at least survive until day 3, do the Shivers checks at the Feld Building then get inside via Savoir Faire teleporting you OR Physical Instrument leading you into the sewers, confront Ruby, survive the mercenary Tribunal, do Klassje's Visual Calculus window check so you get the idea to check out the northern island, then go to the northern island and confront someone there, then go back for your round up by your fellow officers.

It's like breath of the wild in that only about 1% of the things to do are strictly required to actually beat the game(in BOTW's case, simply get out of the tutorial area and kill ganon)

Note: don't actually need to pass the visual calculus check, as someone pointed out in this thread.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

IIRC You can also steal the passed-out dockworker's ID badge at the Whirling-In-Rags.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

IIRC You can also steal the passed-out dockworker's ID badge at the Whirling-In-Rags.

That doesn't help you get into the harbor, unfortunately.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I went back and checked on another run, it seems only good for pawning.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

That doesn't help you get into the harbor, unfortunately.

It doesn't even look a little like Harry

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

EorayMel posted:

If only you took the advice of the Best Skill In The Game: Half Light

Oh god, why did I ignore the half-light skill?! I've gotta play through again as the insane bad cop to Kim's good cop ASAP

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Horizon Burning posted:

krz is very bad, sorry

Looks like SOMEONE failed their Conceptualization roll.

In other news, here's what a dork I am: I have a single Google Alert set, and it's for "Robert Kurvitz" so I can buy his book the second it's in english.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

metasynthetic posted:

There is no "correct" build. You can reach the end of the game with any build. What your build determines is what route you take and what the game shows you on the way there.

That said, it is useful to know that fire burns, and when it rains, the earth gets wet, so have some mechanics.

Your starting stat array determines not only your starting value for each of the basic 24 skills, but also the amount of room they have to grow as you level up and get skill points. Putting in a 1 stat means that at a base every skill in that stat can only have base 1 + 1 skill point = 2.

Various factors can expand the learning cap for skills. Mostly things in your Thought Cabinet, but picking a signature skill to start the game not only puts a point in that skill, it expands the learning cap for that attribute by 1.

When you highlight interactable objects, the object outline is in one of four colors. Green outlines are regular objects. White objects are currently closed or locked. Blue objects are closed or locked but you can currently open them (often you'll see this when carrying an appropriate tool). Yellow objects are regularly interactable, but you only noticed them because of your high Perception.

Various colored dots will appear in the world and orbiting around the detective's head. A dot in the world is something you always know about and can examine, a dot orbiting your head is a thought more specific to where you're standing, and can vanish if you move too far away from the relevant location. Don't worry, it'll be there when you get back.

A green dot is a generic dot. A blue/purple/red/yellow dot is linked to having a high skill with a root in INT/PSY/FYS/MOT. Occasionally you'll see a pure white dot, which I think is only reserved for your thought cabinet finishing a breakthrough. Some dots orbiting your head will have a pointy corner and look more like a dialogue bubble - clicking this dot will start an internal monologue rather than just put an observation out into the world.

When you fail a White Check, putting points into the skill is not the only way to unlock it. Some Thought Cabinet items will unlock white checks on breakthrough, though I wouldn't really count on that. When you go to make the White Check, you can see various bonuses to it that you've acquired by hovering over the check option. Acquiring a new positive bonus to a White Check, either through conversation or acquiring inventory items, will also unlock it. It's generally fine to try all the White Checks you want when you encounter them. Who knows? You might succeed, and if you don't, you'll get another shot with a found bonus or a higher skill later.

Take that "all you want" qualifier seriously. When you're in a conversation, you should only say the parts of it that you want to. Especially if you're doing police work, what you don't say can be as important as what you do. If one of the conversation options says (Proceed.) or (Move on.) after it, only pick it after you've said all of the other options that you want to.

In addition to the obvious places where you make a check, the game is testing your character skills all the time. Often one of the skills will chime into a conversation followed by a qualifier like [Medium: Success]. In that case you can hover over it to see the difficulty of the check and what your result was - in most scenarios the game "takes 6", always treating your passive skill result as though you rolled a 6 on the dice. The usual breakpoints for skills chiming in are at skill values of 2, 4, 6, and 8. Usually if a skill failed a passive check, you just don't see anything show up in the conversation. The colored dots and yellow outlines in the world also show up as a result of these passive skill tests.

Again, there is no build you must take; what your build determines is what the game shows you. So if you want to see a lot of Electrochemistry and Half-Light commentary, put points into them and they'll speak up more often. (This is not always a good thing. To paraphrase: "Okay, detective, just catch that like a cool guy and walk away, nothing to-" "DETECTIVE! This is your Logic with an urgent update! Based on the most recent course of events I have deduced that a conventionally attractive woman is giving you a gift!" "Why am I thinking about this? This is just getting in the way of making the catch!" "I have also deduced that I'm not here to help you catch things!")

The game is ridiculously responsive when it comes to conversations. New options can appear in them as a result of things you've seen or done or collected or are currently wearing. They can appear as a result of passive skill checks in earlier conversations. They can appear because of the thoughts you have available to your Thought Cabinet. They can appear because of the thoughts you've made a breakthrough on in your Thought Cabinet. Again, there is no build you must take, and there are very few things you must do, but you should do the things you want the game to respond to. You're going to set up running gags and they're going to be hilarious.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There is at least one check where a high skill is actively detrimental because your skill fundamentally misunderstands the goal of what it's trying to accomplish and just wants to show off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

There is at least one check where a high skill is actively detrimental because your skill fundamentally misunderstands the goal of what it's trying to accomplish and just wants to show off.

IIRC this is something they warn about with every skill; if it's high enough, it'll start piping up at every opportunity even when it's not necessarily what you want to do.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Some skills, like Rhetoric and electrochemistry, are probably mechanically detrimental more often than not.

They are still very desirable and awesome though. And most of their drawbacks can be ignored by just not listening to them (but you should listen to them anyway sometimes)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Goddamn library card :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Electrochemistry never lies. You should always listen to it.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
All your skills are trying their hardest and they all want what's best for you, but they almost never agree on what's best for you. This is most obvious with Electrochemistry, which is very good at identifying, for example, what drugs a person might be on, but frequently follows up with "now ask them if they'll share their stash".

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Well I’ve think I’ve run into one of the Chapo guys. Is Felix the scab leader? He’s terrible!
Oh wait

Rhetoric posted:

His manner of speaking is wooden, the tone of voice bland and uninspired. Almost as if compiling replies from a set of learned phrases.

Touché game!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC this is something they warn about with every skill; if it's high enough, it'll start piping up at every opportunity even when it's not necessarily what you want to do.

I'm specifically thinking of the Physical Instrument check to play pétanque instead of shotput

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Well I’ve think I’ve run into one of the Chapo guys. Is Felix the scab leader? He’s terrible!
Oh wait

Touché game!

lmao.

overall the voice actors were fine. I did not like the scab leader at all, he was awful. he didnt sound believable as that character. I saw another review where someone singled out that they didnt like evrart.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I get that his initial voice work should be wooden, but I don't think he's too convincing as the mercenary either

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The first time Trant Heidelstam spoke I thought it was terrible, but by the end I realized it was actually really good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The scab leader is unironically terrible, not even good in a "supposed to be terrible" kind of way. He sounds completely detached from the game.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I can only play with the voiceovers muted. It's too distracting from all the reading I'm trying to do.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
RIGHT 2 WERK, RIGHT 2 WERK

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I could immediately recognize felix and virgil, I didn't know matt and will were even in the game until I saw the credits. I thought they were all fine except for felix where it was kinda funny how bad he was, but not a good thing during the climax of the game

that's related to one of my only complaints with this game, which I fi nished for the first time this week: the sound quality and mixing was absolutely all over the place. the chapos sounded fine but cuno's audio sounded like it was being recorded from the inside of a trash can and is also 5x louder than characters like kim, and a few sound effects when performing actions were so extremely loud they made me jump. good thing most of it isn't voice acted and the writing is amazing so it doesn't matter much

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
The only voiceovers I remember really enjoying would be Kim, Measurehead and I suppose Garte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Oh and Cuno + Cunoesse of course.