Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got my delivery notification now, ROW is being shipped today. Hopefully arrives early next week. Took me a bit longer to get it since I refuse to use amazon except direst of circumstances and prefer to support more local businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I have to admit I'm really confused about all this talk about Kelsier. Did I miss a mistborn book or something?

Isn't he dead?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Jarvisi posted:

I have to admit I'm really confused about all this talk about Kelsier. Did I miss a mistborn book or something?

Isn't he dead?

He died but in the Cosmere that doesn't quite mean dead dead and you did indeed miss a book. Check out Mistborn Secret History.

If you want the general concept of how he hung around without reading the book, Kelsier's ghost touched the Well of Ascension before he faded into non-existence, which anchored him to reality rather than forcing him to fade. This makes him a cognitive shadow, the same class of being as the Heralds and he's been hanging around ever since.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Mistborn Secret History

He became a cognitive shadow and lurked around the final two Era 1 books. Then sometime before Era 2 he managed to get a body again. That’s who the memory Hoid gives Wax is from.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Finished RoW last night. Caught up with the thread today.

Highlights:

Formless being Shallan trying to be someone else.
Realizing what Shardplate is made out of and why it acts differently than Shardblades.
Journey before destination, bitch. (I know that's not the right line, but you know it should have been this)
Using stormlight to literally rip The Pursuer's head off

Thoughts:

I don't think that Adolin is healing Maya per se. I think the Deadeyes are more cognizant than anyone realized, but are stuck in a spren form of battle shock. Adolin, being the type of individual that takes the time to learn about and notice things about those around him, was just the right person to draw Maya out of it. I don't know that they'll ever be able to bond (although perhaps Dalinar can eventually reforge/change the Nahel bond to allow it), but their relationship will challenge and change a lot of presumptions about how Deadeye blades work in both the Physical and Cognitive realms.

The Navani chapters did drag on by the end. I enjoyed the process she was going through and the exposition on how stormlight reacts, but even then, I just wanted to get somewhere with it by the end.

Kaladin's depression has never bothered me, and didn't this time either, especially with the knowledge that Moash was abusing Connection to allow Odium to affect Kaladin's dreams.

I'm betting that the knowledge of how to kill spren is directly related to what caused the Recreance.

Kaladin's eyes after Teft died... was he burning Voidlight?

I knew this was going to be a slower book overall since things need to be set up for the finale in Book 5. I legitimately enjoyed it, though. But I've always liked Sanderson's pacing in the Stormlight Archive. I tend to get really caught up in the world building exposition chapters.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 20, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Finished last night.

Lots of big movements, with three threads being wrapped up as many predicted:
-Kaladin earning his plate
-Navani bonding the sibling and activating the tower
-Maya “waking up” at an opportune time to save Adolin

I’m excited to see how breakneck Book 5 will be, especially since there aren’t many open plot points I have predictions on. Lots to think about, though.

-the technology to make Fused and Radiant Spren Dead-Dead will rapidly proliferate. Was this something Radiants were becoming aware of before the recreance? Did their spren sacrifice themselves to stop the discovery and protect all other spren?
-do shardblades and plate protect against anti-stormlight weapons? I’m assuming so, but it ups the stakes right as living Plate enters the game.
-no real mention of the Dustbringers
-Vasher was only “on screen” once, did the Ghostbloods make a move to capture him and take him to Scadrial?
-Hoid becoming much more fallible and Odium becoming much more dangerous

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm around 30% through RoW since I decided to skip most preview chapters. It's good so far, except Shallan, who is probably the spy via Formless or another persona (like the 'real Shallan') that is completely shutting the others out when it acts but maybe that'll change.

Probably going to read most/all of it over the weekend and return to the thread afterwards.

Tunicate posted:

I do love the soft confirmation that harmony ain't a good guy

It'd be against their nature to be anything more than passively observing things unless there's a force upsetting the cosmic balance.

Though you're also assuming that Harmony still exists at that point and hasn't been destroyed by another force, or absorbed another shard and changed drastically.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

TheMadMilkman posted:

Finished RoW last night. Caught up with the thread today.

Highlights:

Formless being Shallan trying to be someone else.
Realizing what Shardplate is made out of and why it acts differently than Shardblades.
Journey before destination, bitch. (I know that's not the right line, but you know it should have been this)
Using stormlight to literally rip The Pursuer's head off

Thoughts:

I don't think that Adolin is healing Maya per se. I think the Deadeyes are more cognizant than anyone realized, but are stuck in a spren form of battle shock. Adolin, being the type of individual that takes the time to learn about and notice things about those around him, was just the right person to draw Maya out of it. I don't know that they'll ever be able to bond (although perhaps Dalinar can eventually reforge/change the Nahel bond to allow it), but their relationship will challenge and change a lot of presumptions about how Deadeye blades work in both the Physical and Cognitive realms.

The Navani chapters did drag on by the end. I enjoyed the process she was going through and the exposition on how stormlight reacts, but even then, I just wanted to get somewhere with it by the end.

Kaladin's depression has never bothered me, and didn't this time either, especially with the knowledge that Moash was abusing Connection to allow Odium to affect Kaladin's dreams.

I'm betting that the knowledge of how to kill spren is directly related to what caused the Recreance.

Kaladin's eyes after Teft died... was he burning Voidlight?

I knew this was going to be a slower book overall since things need to be set up for the finale in Book 5. I legitimately enjoyed it, though. But I've always liked Sanderson's pacing in the Stormlight Archive. I tend to get really caught up in the world building exposition chapters.

Maybe Kaladin's mental health counseling will be extended to include deadeyes.

I do have a question:

Was it made clear that Dalinar's contract with Odium is still in place despite Odium's vessel changing from Rayse to Taravingian? Does knowledge transfer from vessel to vessel? Does T-Odium know everything that R-Odium knew?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

funkymonks posted:

I do have a question:

Was it made clear that Dalinar's contract with Odium is still in place despite Odium's vessel changing from Rayse to Taravingian? Does knowledge transfer from vessel to vessel? Does T-Odium know everything that R-Odium knew?

It was made clear that it is still in place.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd be against their nature to be anything more than passively observing things unless there's a force upsetting the cosmic balance.

Though you're also assuming that Harmony still exists at that point and hasn't been destroyed by another force, or absorbed another shard and changed drastically.

strongly disagree, at least about something being against their nature

(mistborn series 2) Harmony doesn't have the intent of Harmony, after all, it's two shards simultaneously. I think you can imagine a holder of both (maybe not Sazed, but maybe so, depending on how his mind is changed over centuries) that finds an expanding colonialist space empire to totally fulfill that Intent: conquering other worlds and cultures is the Ruin, but the ongoing survival of the colonial metropole and its dominant culture is the Preservation.

(ROW part 2 epigraphs) harmony even gets at this in saying he needed a sword that can be both parts of his nature, killing people who need to be killed and causing Ruin as part of his broader attempts at Preservation (which he has in Wax). he doesn't need to be harmonious at all times, he merely needs to have the scales be balanced overall

td;dr i think the Shard is a lot more potentially dangerous than most people think, it's just he's still figuring it out and the Vessel is a legitimately good person

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 20, 2020

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

eke out posted:

strongly disagree, at least about something being against their nature

(mistborn series 2) Harmony doesn't have the intent of Harmony, after all, it's two shards simultaneously. I think you can imagine a holder of both (maybe not Sazed, but maybe so, depending on how his mind is changed over centuries) that finds an expanding colonialist space empire to totally fulfill that Intent: conquering other worlds and cultures is the Ruin, but the ongoing survival of the colonial metropole and its dominant culture is the Preservation.

(ROW part 2 epigraphs) harmony even gets at this in saying he needed a sword that can be both parts of his nature, killing people who need to be killed and causing Ruin as part of his broader attempts at Preservation (which he has in Wax). he doesn't need to be harmonious at all times, he merely needs to have the scales be balanced overall

td;dr i think the Shard is a lot more potentially dangerous than most people think, it's just he's still figuring it out and the Vessel is a legitimately good person

Don’t forget that there’s still actually more Ruin in Harmony than Preservation, because Preservation gave more of himself to create the humans on Scadrial. I think there was a WoB a while back that this doesn’t mean much in the short term, but will definitely cause problems in the long run.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

eke out posted:

Sanderson said if Sazed died there would just be one shard left behind unless someone purposely split them again, there aren’t separate Ruin and Preservation shards, there’s just Harmony. Functionally it’s basically the same, but I just wanted to bring it up.

MildShow posted:

Don’t forget that there’s still actually more Ruin in Harmony than Preservation, because Preservation gave more of himself to create the humans on Scadrial. I think there was a WoB a while back that this doesn’t mean much in the short term, but will definitely cause problems in the long run.

Honestly if Sazed got too Ruiny it could lead him to go get some other Shards. What would truly create harmony with a touch of ruin more than stealing and then reuniting all of them?

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 20, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Sanderson said if Sazed died there would just be one shard left behind unless someone purposely split them again, there aren’t separate Ruin and Preservation shards, there’s just Harmony. Functionally it’s basically the same, but I just wanted to bring it up.

true! but there's also some wob (i'm pretty sure, at least) that Harmony is still Sazed's specific take on it, not necessarily how another person would conceptualize the combination of the two. and he (in the epigraphs) still thinks of it as balancing the two halves

but his thinking on exactly how the balance has to happen is obviously evolving as we now know that he's seeking ways around the problem by empowering people he know can metaphorically do both

MildShow posted:

that's such a good point that i'd never thought of. ironically, it'll allow Sazed more power in the long term, given that half is what allows him to influence the broader cosmere more.

but yeah i'm definitely worried from him in the long-term, in the sense of holding up as himself versus the overwhelming intent of two Shards -- we know good people have failed in the face of only one, but hopefully his moral congruency with how he perceives the Intent means it alters him less than like, a nice person like Ati holding Ruin alone

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 20, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

\

That fauxpology after he tricked Wax into killing his wife (and the entire situation to start with) says otherwise.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

That fauxpology after he tricked Wax into killing his wife (and the entire situation to start with) says otherwise.

yep, he's not even as good of a person as he once was and is already much more willing to put Destination before Journey, so to speak

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I’m still not finished with RoW, partway through section 4, but between what’s happened in this book so far and hints from Dawnshard, goddamn it feels like there are major pieces of the Cosmere puzzle falling into place. But still not enough to see the whole picture. Just finished the Venli flashback to the night of Gavilar’s feast Nale was working with Odium and the voidspren to manipulate Venli into starting off this whole chain of events, beginning with Gavilar’s assassination. Goddamn.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I was prepared from the preview chapters to see Raboniel as a kind of unhinged but very cunning villain. I was very pleasantly surprised by her character arc in the book. I do wish there had been more Leshwi.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Dodging spoilers but need to scratch this mental itch.

Adolin discussion from post Oathbringer to pre-ROW

Am I wrong in remembering that it is implied Maya is coming back to life or IS alive?

Yes or No will suffice, thank you!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
RoW spoilers:

-Glad to see some progress on the mental health of kaladin and shallan
-setting up Ishar and Taravangian as the big bads next book seems cool
-who the gently caress is “El?” Maybe...zombie elhokar?
-end of book 5 prediction: Dalinar gets smoked in a duel by either Nale or this mysterious El dude, setting up a cosmere wide war as Taravangian tries to “save them all”
-unstable szeth continues to accidentally deus ex machine the main plot is hilarious
-maybe radiant adolin next book? When dalinar falls?

More thoughts later after work

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

^burtle posted:

Dodging spoilers but need to scratch this mental itch.

Adolin discussion from post Oathbringer to pre-ROW

Am I wrong in remembering that it is implied Maya is coming back to life or IS alive?

Yes or No will suffice, thank you!

Correct.

Specifics from Oathbringer:

She tells Adolin what her name is, and he manages to summon her in only 7 heartbeats

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thank you!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Correct.

Specifics from Oathbringer:

She tells Adolin what her name is, and he manages to summon her in only 7 heartbeats

When does that second detail happen? I do not remember that at all

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

When does that second detail happen? I do not remember that at all

somewhere in the end where he's running around Thaylen City without Plate helping people

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

smertrioslol posted:

RoW spoilers:

-who the gently caress is “El?” Maybe...zombie elhokar?

More thoughts later after work

Think it confirms he's a fused who previously had Moash's title and has a weird metal carapace.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 20, 2020

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

team overhead smash posted:

Think it confirms he's a fused who previously had Moash's title and has a weird metal carapace.

Yeah we don't really know anything about him yet, but he must be someone important if they let him kill the pursuer like that. I expect him to be involved in book 5 a lot

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah we don't really know anything about him yet, but he must be someone important if they let him kill the pursuer like that. I expect him to be involved in book 5 a lot

I kind of expected the pursuer defeated one to get some more time before he got got

Oh and I thought Moash inherited the pursuer title, not this new guy El. They said something about giving it to a human so I figured Moash.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

smertrioslol posted:

I kind of expected the pursuer defeated one to get some more time before he got got

Oh and I thought Moash inherited the pursuer title, not this new guy El. They said something about giving it to a human so I figured Moash.

More RoW spoilers
The one who quietsis the title Moash inherited I believe, as that's what Vyre means.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

I think kaladin gets pursuer

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Fused who impales his body with metal, is feared by the Pursuer, and in his epigraphs notes a desire to "repurpose" humans and lead them in war. I think El might be Trell, the mysterious offworld antagonist in the new Mistborn series.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Subvisual Haze posted:

Fused who impales his body with metal, is feared by the Pursuer, and in his epigraphs notes a desire to "repurpose" humans and lead them in war. I think El might be Trell, the mysterious offworld antagonist in the new Mistborn series.

That would be autonomy I believe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd Part 4 of Well of Ascension is so good it almost makes up for parts 1-3 being so boring.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Brandon is a practicing Mormon. El, or Elohim, El Gibbor etc etc is literally the name of the capital G God in Mormonism, if I dont misremember.

I refuse to believe this is an accident, it'll be interesting to see where it goes

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Gedt posted:

Brandon is a practicing Mormon. El, or Elohim, El Gibbor etc etc is literally the name of the capital G God in Mormonism, if I dont misremember.

I refuse to believe this is an accident, it'll be interesting to see where it goes

El is God in Hebrew. Was also the name of a fatherly God in some other semitic religions. If you see a name ending starting or ending in El, odds are its a Hebrew name meaning God's-something.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Here are my thoughts on Part 4 of Well of Ascension

It feels like a completely different person wrote this part. Like, Sanderson took the pen away from the person writing the fanfiction of the first 3 parts and got the story back on track. Stuff happened! It was good! Great even!

Elend murdered a Koloss. That was loving cool as hell.

Vin went full Sephiroth on Keep Hasting. Very good and cool. Get the gently caress out of here Cett.

Zane died!! WOOO. Hell yeah. Zane died as he lived - sucking. So the voice in his head is totally something important though right? Was the voice in his head... The Deepness? Or something greater? I know there's this whole greater Cosmere that y'all are talking about. I assume this relates to that in a way. Either way, gently caress Zane. He sucked. He basically added nothing to the story. Just like Kai Leng, he actively made the story worse and we're better off now with him removed from the story.

The chapter with the old crew sitting around talking about getting Elend and Vin out of the city while they get prepared to die was very good. Just a solemn "Yup, we're all gonna die. Suicide mission time." will always get me on board. I still find Dockson to be very obnoxious in the this book. He feels like a completely different character from book 1. New Dockson sucks. I hope he finds some peace and becomes less lovely.

Finally the relationship drama is put to loving bed. It was incredibly exhausting and incredibly boring. "Will they/won't they" bullshit is obnoxious in sitcoms and it's obnoxious in books too. The answer is almost always "yes, they will get together in the end" so the drama just lame and doesn't really add much to the story. It's a false tension because we know Vin and Elend are going to end up together.

The loving twist with OreSere/TenSoon twist was so loving good and literally had me shout out "OH poo poo!!" as I was driving.

Seems that Vin & Elend are leaving to Terris? Which.... seems weird? We've spent the entire story holed up in Luthadel and they're leaving with 20% of the book left? I assume something stops them.

Another thing I notice - Marsh still needs to make his dramatic return. Will Marsh show up in the 11th hour, like he did in the first book? Who is to say. At some point - I think it was in part 3 or maybe even 2, someone mentioned "A guard reported seeing an Inquisitor in the city around Kredik Shaw." I assume this is Marsh.

Needless to say, I'm actually looking forward to the final two parts of the story. I won't say that the goodness of Part 4 makes up for Part 1/2/3 being complete dumpster garbage, but it certainly reminded me of what I liked about the first book.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 21, 2020

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

That would be autonomy I believe.

RoW
It's got to be one of the ones he doesn't list in the epigraph letter to Hoid because of this sentence from the letter:

Other Shards I cannot identify, and are hidden to me. I fear that their influence encroaches upon my world

So autonomy makes a lot of sense, especially with the tie between Trell, Autonomy and Taldain

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Needless to say, I'm actually looking forward to the final two parts of the story. I won't say that the goodness of Part 4 makes up for Part 1/2/3 being complete dumpster garbage, but it certainly reminded me of what I liked about the first book.

yeah you are now in the cool zone of book two, once the awful zane plot is over

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

RoW
I have to imagine dealing with the Whimsy shard is the most taxing experience in existence. Even if they’re a “good” shard dealing with them must be the worst.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah you are now in the cool zone of book two, once the awful zane plot is over

I will say that one of the only good things from parts 1-3 in WoA is Straf being a complete loving nervous spaz about the threat of Vin (and Zane).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

yeah, as RC mentioned, while it's not confirmed that Trell is Autonomy, it's one of those things that's very nearly confirmed and it would be a big surprise if brandon went anywhere else with it (there's a big rundown on Coppermind, Trell shows up all over the place)

i think the weird name might have something to do with being stripped of his title/etc -- maybe not allowed to use his proper name anymore as part of a punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The official wiki has been upgraded with an option to view it as it was the day before RoW was released, so you can refresh without getting spoilered.