Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

w00tmonger posted:

Just finished converting my citadel/p3 paints over to dropper bottles. Really satisfying!

Your holder for paint pots is pretty sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Harvey Mantaco posted:

How do you easily clean the airbrush afterwards? Just alcohol?

I don't think I've tried to run it through any of my airbrushes yet, or would, tbh. If I was going to, I'd probably be spraying some straight everclear through prior to airbrushing, and after airbrushing, until it blew clean, and prepare to deal with any clogs if I didn't get it all out

I use everclear over iso just because it's easier to get around here, not sure if it's better or worse for airbrushes but I can't imagine it'd be more harsh than iso for virtually any application (I use everclear to wash my weed pipes and stuff, where you definitely don't want to use rubbing alcohol)

I may have to put some through my budget airbrush and see how it behaves. I would definitely not put it through an airbrush you weren't comfortable tearing down or throwing away

Cinara posted:

Please note that Vallejo Metal Color is very much not model color. Their normal metallics like the air and model/game are fine, but not really any better than other brands. Metal Color is another story, easily the best non-alcohol based metal paint you can get. The liquid metal stuff is good but enough of a hassle that I rarely use it.

god I hate that Vallejo does this, lol

one more fuckin' paint to keep track of

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 20, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Consistency-wise, the Metal Color is pre-thinned for use in an airbrush right? Is it suitable out-of-the-bottle for brushing as well?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Schadenboner posted:

Consistency-wise, the Metal Color is pre-thinned for use in an airbrush right? Is it suitable out-of-the-bottle for brushing as well?

Yes, I can personally confirm this. No need to thin it down for airbrushing (although if you listen to Vince you should still thin it, but that man is crazy) - hence it's also perfectly pre-thinned for brushing as well. I don't put it on the wet palette for that reason, I use a regular palette for this specifically.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mirthless posted:

I use everclear over iso just because it's easier to get around here, not sure if it's better or worse for airbrushes but I can't imagine it'd be more harsh than iso for virtually any application (I use everclear to wash my weed pipes and stuff, where you definitely don't want to use rubbing alcohol)

I've always heard iso + sea salt is a good way to clean them; why is that bad? Wash it in water thoroughly after doing this, obviously, but :shrug: off topic, i know, sorry

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I have a question about airbrushing. I have essential tremors, and they've gotten slightly worse over the years. Now they're enough that I get extremely frustrated trying to paint details on model, and even some larger pieces.

Does an airbrush require the same level of steadiness, or is it just a matter of moving the brush closer to get a finer spray? The issue really arises when I'm trying to keep the brush steady on the model and applying pressure, not when I'm just holding the brush or guiding it to the model.

I don't want to give up the hobby, but it's starting to become more frustrating than relaxing.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 20, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Devorum posted:

I have a question about airbrushing. I have essential tremors, and they've gotten slightly worse over the years. Now they're enough that I get extremely frustrated trying to paint details on model, and even some larger pieces.

Does an airbrush require the same level of steadiness, or is it just a matter of moving the brush closer to get a finer spray? The issue really arises when I'm trying to keep the brush steady on the model, not when I'm just holding the brush.

I don't want to give up the hobby, but it's starting to become more frustrating than relaxing.

First if you haven’t seen this already check it out, this guy does a great job of showing techniques to mitigate tremors.

https://youtu.be/oqp76vAJu9g

As for using the airbrush, yes moving closer gets a finer spray. If you’re just doing priming/basecoats or you’re willing to do a lot of masking you should be fine. You also can adapt bracing techniques like for traditional painting to help mitigate shakes. I’ve also heard that some people with tremors prefer to use pistol trigger style airbrushes, there are only a few models on the market though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It was discussed some number of pages back, but with an airbrush you can also easily mask off parts of models with silly putty, which sounds probably an effective way of protecting against unwanted "inaccuracies". So like if you're doing the model's pants, just putty off the arms and torso and you should be good to go.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

First if you haven’t seen this already check it out, this guy does a great job of showing techniques to mitigate tremors.

https://youtu.be/oqp76vAJu9g

As for using the airbrush, yes moving closer gets a finer spray. If you’re just doing priming/basecoats or you’re willing to do a lot of masking you should be fine. You also can adapt bracing techniques like for traditional painting to help mitigate shakes. I’ve also heard that some people with tremors prefer to use pistol trigger style airbrushes, there are only a few models on the market though.

I haven't seen it, thank you!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Schadenboner posted:

thin it down a smidge with Vallejo flow improver but yeah basically

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ro5s posted:

My long march of gauntpainting continues, though I've got all the unpainted ones done.

And I'm onto repainting my old hormagaunts

Who are definitely not 90% broken and reattached to their bases resting on their claws, I don't know why you'd think that.

78 down and only 42 to go! :shepface:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Does purple work as an undershade for yellow? I know that everyone says use white, orange, or pink... but I swear that I saw a youtube vid where someone was layering yellows onto a purple base shade.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think Angel Giraldez is constantly shading with complementary colours so that might be it, you definitely want to glaze the contrasting shade over a yellow base coat as opposed to trying to layer yellow on top of purple

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

SERPUS posted:

Does purple work as an undershade for yellow? I know that everyone says use white, orange, or pink... but I swear that I saw a youtube vid where someone was layering yellows onto a purple base shade.

A true yellow is going to look richest over a magenta undershade - a darker purple still works, especially if you're using a more orange-hued yellow, but it's going to result in a less saturated end result, sort of like the difference between priming white vs black.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Painted up some Spire Vanguard Clones from Conquest. Nothing fancy, it’s a quick “tabletop” job but I think they turned out ok.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
One other nice thing is if you are working on organic models you don't need razor straight lines on airbrush in fact you often don't want straight lines so that's another avenue to look at

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Devorum posted:

Does an airbrush require the same level of steadiness, or is it just a matter of moving the brush closer to get a finer spray? The issue really arises when I'm trying to keep the brush steady on the model and applying pressure, not when I'm just holding the brush or guiding it to the model.

Have you checked out this video? Depending on the day I can have super shakey hands (I think I drink too much coffee) and this has helped a shitload. I also have to do really intricate fine detail tasks at work and implemented a lot of tips from this as well. Except the drink a beer thing. IDK if my job would be cool with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhDhQZDlNk

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Anyone have any great examples of painted Necromunda terrain? I need inspiration.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Demilich posted:

Anyone have any great examples of painted Necromunda terrain? I need inspiration.

E: you said terrain not bases :cripes:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man, I had absolutely zero drive to finish this guy but I got it to a point that i'm happy with. I'll paint up the drones in another big drone painting marathon at some point but I'm kinda waiting to see how 9th fairs for tau before I paint up more. I'd rather get a decent chunk of space wolves done instead

And I brush primed like 1000 points of space wolves. Man, brush priming sucks but it's what works for me. it's also super messy. Yes, i have dedicated cheap brushes just for priming.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Have you checked out this video? Depending on the day I can have super shakey hands (I think I drink too much coffee) and this has helped a shitload. I also have to do really intricate fine detail tasks at work and implemented a lot of tips from this as well. Except the drink a beer thing. IDK if my job would be cool with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhDhQZDlNk

I'll add it the earlier video and watch both today. Thanks!

"Drink a beer" is also off the table for me, since I'm currently living in Saudi Arabia.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How fragile is a thin coat of that crackle medium stuff after it has fully cured? Assuming it's pretty flaky, but I'm curious if there's any way to make it more durable or if a coat of varnish over the finished product is enough to make it useable for actual gaming purposes.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SERPUS posted:

Yes it'll work. I use a light pink and a dark purple (as well as white) for my Ironjawz and I like the result. This video is what sold it to me and I'm never doing yellow without ink ever again. Too bad I found this out 3/4th into painting my Orruks.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Quick question for the thread: a while back we linked to videos of a British guy named "theoldbear." His videos were good, not a lot of views because he was just starting but his tips were solid, his videos concise and his skill high. But now he's gone. His channel doesn't show up anymore and the videos on YouTube won't even show up as "deleted", they're just not be there anymore (I had saved a few of the videos to a playlist). He's also gone from Instagram, I even sent him a chat message (we had exchanged a bit), and they can't be delivered.

Does anybody know what happened to him? Some of his videos were very unique (like "how to pick an undershade color for ink") and I really miss them :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How fragile is a thin coat of that crackle medium stuff after it has fully cured? Assuming it's pretty flaky, but I'm curious if there's any way to make it more durable or if a coat of varnish over the finished product is enough to make it useable for actual gaming purposes.

Varnish or a 50:50 mix of water and PVA glue should keep it together.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Here's some bad pictures of my first batch of Celestial Lions. Rather than traditional heraldry on the shields I want to go for African continent-inspired geometric designs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Furism posted:

Quick question for the thread: a while back we linked to videos of a British guy named "theoldbear." His videos were good, not a lot of views because he was just starting but his tips were solid, his videos concise and his skill high. But now he's gone. His channel doesn't show up anymore and the videos on YouTube won't even show up as "deleted", they're just not be there anymore (I had saved a few of the videos to a playlist). He's also gone from Instagram, I even sent him a chat message (we had exchanged a bit), and they can't be delivered.

Does anybody know what happened to him? Some of his videos were very unique (like "how to pick an undershade color for ink") and I really miss them :(
I’m sorry I can’t help but totally feel you on this. I thought his videos were excellent! There was one on darker skin tones that I found super useful, bookmarked for later, and it was nuked before I could re-watch

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone have positive or negative experiences with these printable transfer/decal sheets? Or have another brand you'd recommend?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SERPUS posted:

Yellow over a true purple will look pretty muddy, this is true for any complimentary pair but probably most so yellow/purple. You're better off undercoating with something more reddish like magenta or tyrian purple, unless a muddy look is what you're going for.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a single MKIII marine off ebay last year finally got around to painting it in my chapter colors:

I wanted to see how things would look putting a layer of subtle highlight around the pauldron edge- it stands out here, but is much smoother indoors

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sab669 posted:

I've always heard iso + sea salt is a good way to clean them; why is that bad? Wash it in water thoroughly after doing this, obviously, but :shrug: off topic, i know, sorry

iso is not food grade alcohol and can leave residue on glass if you're not very thorough, especially with a microfilm of thc clinging to the inside of your pipe. additionally, in the case of say, an extract rig, if you use everclear you can easily reclaim the extract from the inside of the rig to use in edibles or whatever. (you skip the salt, don't need it in an oil rig) It's much less of an issue with flower because you definitely don't want to reclaim resin but I only smoke flower from things I can fit in my ultrasonic cleaner

the real mvp for cleaning pipes is LA's totally awesome diluted 50/50 with water for a few cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner until it is completely clear, then a few cycles in clean water with dish soap, it's like getting a brand new pipe right off the shelf

Devorum posted:

i also get tremors and have pretty severe attacks of arthritis in my hands sometimes, I've found the airbrush makes things a lot easier

i've only been working with my siphon feed for a week (over a cup one for the last month or two) but it's been easier for me since i have somewhere to rest my fingers and don't have to worry so much about dumping paint when i inevitably drop the fuckin airbrush because of my stupid hands. I'd like to try a pistol grip one at some point, I believe there are conversion kits

using the airbrush lets me paint on days i can't comfortably handle the paintbrush and save my spoons for the detail work on the days that I can

ymmv; if you don't have one yet, i bought into my airbrush with a cheap AS-186K kit before I jumped in on an actual expensive airbrush. 90% of the compressors on the market use the same pattern and materials with different branding and manufacturers (all based in Shenzhen) and most of them are pretty good, so don't be wary of amazon listings for $100 with a compressor with airbrushes and accessories, they're actually legit. (just not the best QC, so make sure you follow up if something doesn't work)

just get one of the ones with a tank, you really want the tank, cheap compressors get hot the longer they run and the tank keeps them from running nonstop in operation.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 21, 2020

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Rad airbrush stuff.

Thanks! I'm looking at a few options. The biggest hurdle is shipping the compressor all the way to Saudi.

Do you have a ventilation setup, or are you just using masks?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Devorum posted:

Thanks! I'm looking at a few options. The biggest hurdle is shipping the compressor all the way to Saudi.

I just use a mask personally, I think you only need the ventilation setup if you're working with caustic paint. Acrylic should be mostly non-toxic, you just don't want it coating the inside of your lungs

You want a respirator mask here to be clear, the kind with filters

I'd bet that shipping would be a hurdle! Forget sometimes, we've got goons all over the world. Hope you find an affordable option!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 21, 2020

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Devorum posted:

If you use inks at all please use a good 3m mask in an open/ventilated area. There's nothing good about breathing in cadmium.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

https://smile.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-6300-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B007JZ1MK6/

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PUYEVOM

These should be compatible.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Count_Brass posted:

Here's some bad pictures of my first batch of Celestial Lions. Rather than traditional heraldry on the shields I want to go for African continent-inspired geometric designs.

Looks great. What's the armor? Yellow contrast over metal?

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

Looks great. What's the armor? Yellow contrast over metal?

Thanks! It’s S75 Elven Gold over gloss black primer, under-shaded with sienna ink, pin washed with black oil and highlighted with Vallejo Duraluminium. The gold isn’t as yellow IRL, the light i used for the pictures is way too bright! Really need a better photo setup than a strip of leds and a phone camera.

Count_Brass fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 21, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They look great man

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Hey, finished up some death stuff over the last month or so:

Armored Skeletons/Grave Guard

Chainrasp

Mordheim Vampire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Skails posted:

Mordheim Vampire

I love the design on the cape, and the texture on the mini in general. So gorgeous.