Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm a bit surprised that Apple hasn't added the ability to disable incoming calls. There has to be a significant population that almost never uses the phone call functionality, if they ever receive a call it would be only be from a contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Is there a way I can make the keyboard not try to autocorrect swear words? I didn’t see anything in the settings.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

im on the net me boys posted:

Is there a way I can make the keyboard not try to autocorrect swear words? I didn’t see anything in the settings.

I just keep typing the bad words until the drat thing gets it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I'm a bit surprised that Apple hasn't added the ability to disable incoming calls. There has to be a significant population that almost never uses the phone call functionality, if they ever receive a call it would be only be from a contact.
The “silence unknown callers” setting is basically for that only gets calls from a contact user. Otherwise to silence everything, you can get most of the way there with a silent ringtone, no vibration, etc. The new incoming call notification style helps too, although they’re still full screen on the lock screen.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Wouldn't these people just get data only sim plans?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Those todays-mixed-up-teens would still presumably use SMS when forced to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Wouldn't these people just get data only sim plans?

All plans , in the US at least, come with mostly unlimited calling or at least some minutes.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
vitally, text messages are considered part of the "phone" part of the plan in the us - data only tablet plans generally do not include text messaging even though there is a phone number associated with the plan

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, that’s an interesting edge case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh yeah I ran into that too on I guess the 14.2 update. It threw me off, since I've definitely done it in the past. (14.2.1 does not seem to be available on an 11 Pro.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

enojy posted:

I just keep typing the bad words until the drat thing gets it

yeah, just give it time but beware.

it's taken me like two years to unteach my phone to stop autocorrecting normal, regular words into the horrible pidgin english my ex partner and I would talk to each other in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t you cheat and just make a dummy contact with the word for name?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How are people feeling about the MagSafe puck after a week or two? Any meaningful difference from Lightning cable or a Qi charger?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

smackfu posted:

How are people feeling about the MagSafe puck after a week or two? Any meaningful difference from Lightning cable or a Qi charger?

I like it a lot. I used to charge my phone with a Qi charger on my nightstand. I usually go to bed after my wife and can't turn the lights on so I kind of have to fumble my phone onto the Qi charger so it charges properly. Now I just place it roughly above the small puck and it snaps in place perfectly. I used double sided tape to fix the puck in place.

bronin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 20, 2020

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

smackfu posted:

I returned mine because I liked it less than the Qi charger I already had and it was $39 (with no power brick!).

Things I didn't like:
- expensive
- cord is too short and not removable
- no included power brick
- removes most of the benefit of wireless charging (easily put down and pick up)

The one thing it's good at, IMO:
- if you wirelessly charge your phone at night and often wake up with a near-dead battery because you didn't align your phone correctly, but you're still dead set on charging wirelessly, this will solve your problem

In my opinion it's more similar to charging with a lightning cable than it is to charging with a Qi charger.

I do think the wild-looking Belkin stand that's going to have MagSafe + Qi + Apple Watch charger could be cool.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Has there been any word on when this new update comes out for the non 12 series? My SE 2020 has the missing MMS issue.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t you cheat and just make a dummy contact with the word for name?

This is why I’ve had gently caress loving in my contacts for years. Seems to have helped

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

illcendiary posted:

This is why I’ve had gently caress loving in my contacts for years. Seems to have helped

Nick names is good too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi what is this port for? On my iPad Pro it charges the pencil but what does it do on the phone? I can’t find anything on the store page that says.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

smackfu posted:

Slightly related, ordinary wireless (non-Magsafe) charging does not seem to leave behind that circle imprint on the leather cases. Maybe this will change over the next month or two. I feel like it's inevitable; heat applied to foreign round object directly beneath the leather and all.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

MarcusSA posted:

Hi what is this port for? On my iPad Pro it charges the pencil but what does it do on the phone? I can’t find anything on the store page that says.

That's for the sim card.
E: whoops no it's not... thanks Spigen for vomiting word salad all over the side of your clear cases, obscuring that view when I look at the side of my phone

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 20, 2020

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s the 5G mmWave antenna cut-out.
SIM tray is on the other side.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fourwood posted:

It’s the 5G mmWave antenna cut-out.
SIM tray is on the other side.

Ok thanks!

Seems like a weird place to put it since if I’m holding the phone I’m blocking it. :shrug:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks!

Seems like a weird place to put it since if I’m holding the phone I’m blocking it. :shrug:

they wanted to the nostalgia of the iPhone 4 in the new design.

And everything that entailed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks!

How else do you expect it to transmit the COVID-19 into your bloodstream?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeast posted:

they wanted to the nostalgia of the iPhone 4 in the new design.

And everything that entailed.

Laserface posted:

These are both very valid points I hadn’t thought of!

I really like the 12 pro Max though. The new design is so much easier to hold.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserface posted:

Yeah that’s how the 5G does the mind control

Unrelated, but does anybody know how to get their Soros Bucks account to work with Apple Pay? Do I have to go through a regular bank?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like the new lockscreen thing where if i'm not listening to music but have my airpods in it'll bring up a small list of the most recent stuff I've played so I can go back to it in one click. Shame I don't use Music for everything now I hit their match limit, and use Plex for all my new stuff, but I dig it regardless.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeast posted:

Nick names is good too.

Doesn’t that end up capitalizing them all the time? I had a friend’s last name in there as Murder, so murder always gets capitalized. I also had someone’s contact something like “Joe Tha Shmoe” or something and that made “the” autocorrect sometimes to “Tha” which was annoying as hell.

Maybe that’s also why “thanks” keeps correcting to “tha is”.

I wish I could reset autocorrect because it seems like it learned a lot of dumb poo poo I can’t get rid of.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

So I have this weird recent contact entry in messages and I can't seem to get rid of it.

it's labeled as "home1237584958" where the numbers are a phone that I don't think I ever contacted before.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
do cases interfere with the 5g mmwave cutout?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Thanks for this!

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Is it possible to turn off notifications for the settings app itself? Googling this is difficult because the results are all about how to turn off notifications for apps in general, but Settings doesn't self reference in the notifications...setting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mad Wack posted:

do cases interfere with the 5g mmwave cutout?

They’re not supposed to , but it wouldn’t shock me. Honestly , even if it did I would still get a case rather than roll the dice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Is it possible to turn off notifications for the settings app itself? Googling this is difficult because the results are all about how to turn off notifications for apps in general, but Settings doesn't self reference in the notifications...setting.

No

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I'm guessing if I have the new Pro Max 12 and have zero options for 5G stuff under cellular my current plan must not support it? I have AT&T

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'm guessing if I have the new Pro Max 12 and have zero options for 5G stuff under cellular my current plan must not support it? I have AT&T

Friend of mine had the same issue. His plan didn’t offer 5G. He had to upgrade to the Elite plan or something like that. One of those new plans.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve returned to iPhone after a few years in Android land and once again I am pondering...

Why is iOS designed around assuming users want to connect to public WiFi networks, and even WiFi in general? Unless I am misunderstanding, there are only four options regarding this: connect automatically without a notification, connecting automatically while showing a notification, ask the user whether they want to connect or not, and shut off WiFi entirely (but it turns on automatically again the next day).

I have a 60gb a month service plan. I don’t need to use WiFi other than when I want to use a Chromecast or something at home, which I rarely do. Furthermore , during peak time in the evening, my cellphone internet is actually faster than my home internet.

Does Apple just not consider a user like me worth throwing a bone to? Or am I missing something huge about this but I haven’t been able to Google after many attempts?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You are the edgest of edge cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’ve returned to iPhone after a few years in Android land and once again I am pondering...

Why is iOS designed around assuming users want to connect to public WiFi networks, and even WiFi in general? Unless I am misunderstanding, there are only four options regarding this: connect automatically without a notification, connecting automatically while showing a notification, ask the user whether they want to connect or not, and shut off WiFi entirely (but it turns on automatically again the next day).

I have a 60gb a month service plan. I don’t need to use WiFi other than when I want to use a Chromecast or something at home, which I rarely do. Furthermore , during peak time in the evening, my cellphone internet is actually faster than my home internet.

Does Apple just not consider a user like me worth throwing a bone to? Or am I missing something huge about this but I haven’t been able to Google after many attempts?

:confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!