Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm Chris and so is my (ex) wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I see David approves :)

https://twitter.com/DavidBraben/status/1329828143595741190?s=19

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Jesus Christ, I swear these things get worse every sodding year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbaNf0YvpLs

This sucks, but the guy doing the VO here is the most competent person they have. He actually puts effort into this garbage and makes it at least sound the way it should.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Am I reading too much into this, or is it a loving :iceburn: that Braben is basically saying "Yeah, you stole our design. We don't care, it's not going to affect us in any way"?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
everyone constantly dunks on star citizen, so you're reading it right

this ain't even the first time this has happened with a ship. think it was EVE peeps who were slamming SC awhile back for lifting a ship design straight from EVE

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Very Good.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Tune back in tomorrow when our second new ship goes up- this one is obviously not an Anaconda from Elite: Dangerous!

Yes but with extra greebles! This is apparently important. Even though it looks poo poo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I know, I've just put so much mental energy into mocking SC that I just need to experience it for myself. Also being stuck inside for months has pretty much broken my brain

There are no words for what is about to happen to you. Prepare for tedium that can't be described in mere words.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/hINZQTI.mp4

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I was stressing out what to get the better half for Christmas. I knew a jpeg wouldn't cut it.

Then I found this bargain.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/MicroTECH-Holiday-Sweater/S

Quite a steal and only $10 for shipping.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was stressing out what to get the better half for Christmas. I knew a jpeg wouldn't cut it.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizer: Quite a steal and only $10 for shipping.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:gary:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Everything you need for Xmas ...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Seconding and thirding all the people who are telling you it's not fun. :)

You won't enjoy the bugs. You won't get the :lol:s you think you will.

You'll walk around a big boring empty area, and marvel at how tedious it is, but you can't make a gif or picture of that. And people standing on chairs and tables is par for the course.

To actually get to the horrible rag doll bugs you need to play the game and that's where it gets real bad. "Playing" is not fun. So... good luck!

Have fun in the verse. :)

Enjoy your murder tutorials in the hotel you can't do combat in, and remember to use the mouse wheel on the elevator panel or you'll never leave 3 totally identical floors.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I didn't even catch this in the video. CYBRTRUK parallels continue:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I'll update this poo poo and slam my dick in the door with y'all today because shits running slow as gently caress at work

I always appreciate your colorful wording. :j:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Tune back in tomorrow when our second new ship goes up- this one is obviously not an Anaconda from Elite: Dangerous!

Nobody could possibly be so stupid as to rip off two of their ship designs in the same week!

Looks like this one got leaked to streamers first (again) and the marketing material says it really punches above its' weight!

There is the big ship I was expecting!

Thanks for maintaining your money hungry savagery, CIG, to the point where anybody knows exactly what you'll do to try to squeeze more money out of people without having to deliver a functioning game!

And of course kudos to all the dumbass people who will buy it when the ships they may have bought six or more years ago still aren't in the game today. But hey, gotta feed that addiction! :devil:

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
why is the back of the new ship open? won't your "24 scu of cargo" fall off the moment you accelerate, bank, turn or pitch up? wtf is going on :psyduck:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
slap some large rear end fuckin UAE 2950 flags on your space truck so you can own the tavs

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

an actual frog posted:

why is the back of the new ship open? won't your "24 scu of cargo" fall off the moment you accelerate, bank, turn or pitch up? wtf is going on :psyduck:

Cause it's meant to be a pickup truck. Specifically Elon Musks dumb pick up truck. No more thought has been put into it than that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

an actual frog posted:

don't think about it, just buy, consume, obey

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

an actual frog posted:

It might be gravity goo, I don't know. I once got into a bit of a row with a citizen via chat (a laborious process in itself admittedly) because I was laughing at him walking around upside down inside his Caterpillar on Daymar, well what do I know, "acksherly I think you'll find these big ships have their own gravity generators", "so why are you upside down when you've landed right side up on the planet?" "Errm."

That was back in 2018(?) so maybe it's all changed and things are right side up now and cargo just sticks to the floor in a totally fidelitious manner, who knows what physics magic the Code Whisperer has weaved woven since those far off days?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Meanwhile the Elite Dangerous chat is fantastic at the moment - I took advantage of the Epic freebie to roll a new character and the amount of "WTF?????" and "how do I...!!!!??" in the chat is just hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, I love Elite, I've hundreds and hundreds of hours in it, I'm vicariously proud of a British software company's success etc, but, new tutorials notwithstanding, they still do an awful job of onboarding new players.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

smellmycheese posted:

Everything you need for Xmas ...

fleece blanket that costs 78$ with corporate logos and spaceship jpgs :wtc:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Fleece-Blanket/Blanket

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/star-citizen-will-let-you-fly-over-100-ships-freely-for-the-next-two-weeks/

Cue Loyal to the Group of Seventeen Joe Blobers.

Citizens assemble!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dwesa posted:

fleece blanket that costs 78$ with corporate logos and spaceship jpgs :wtc:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Fleece-Blanket/Blanket

Separate shipping charges on each individual item no matter the quantity but at least now they admit to fleecing backers.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

There are no words for what is about to happen to you. Prepare for tedium that can't be described in mere words.

:shepicide:

My goals:
* Make it to the convention center
* Order a drink from a fidelitous bartender
* (Attempt to) fly a ship
* Die suddenly from a horrible bug
* Not read a single tutorial

Any other suggestions? (As long as it's something I can reasonably do within, say, an hour of play with minimal effort?)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My goals:

Any other suggestions? (As long as it's something I can reasonably do within, say, an hour of play with minimal effort?)
well all that right there is gonna take you waaaaaaaaaay more than an hour lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only way I was even remotely able to do anything in Star Citizen was from accumulated knowledge reading this thread and knowing some of the more common pitfalls. Even then it was very unintuitive, if you're going in completely blind I can't imagine how you'd figure anything out.

Prepare to wankpod->train->train->spaceport half a dozen times before you make it off planet. Watch out for the insta-kill zones if you fly your ship near a city.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well you can probably put (attempt to) in front of all them actually.

Popete posted:

Even then it was very unintuitive, if you're going in completely blind I can't imagine how you'd figure anything out.

Which is pretty much why I'm doing it, I want the true blind new-player experience.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 21, 2020

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Any other suggestions?

Don't bother, maybe? I'm not David Attenborough so I don't know exactly how many denizens of the Amazon basin have to die to pay for one Star Citizen download but surely even one is more than it's worth? I mean, for humanity's sake, won't you think of the rainforests?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you doubt my commitment to atrocity tourism you should check out my posts in the current Dominic Deegan thread. I'm doing this. I need this.

... Although it's entirely possible I might not have enough hard drive space anyway. Just how big IS this game...?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My goals:

Get sent to prison at the end.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i want to hire an expert star citizen guide

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Awesome! posted:

uninstall the game, throw your ssd out the window. that'll be $50 please.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

phosdex posted:

uninstall the game, throw your ssd out the window. that'll be $50 please.

No I'm afraid the way it works is now YOU need to pay RSI money. Go buy an Indris

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Awesome! posted:

:trustme:

On reflection, he's possibly the worst person you should ask - he's only played it once and we all know how that ended up.

Dennis!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I know I'm late to the game here but my god I can't believe they made an AspX with a patio

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My goals:

Good luck. I hope you have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I had so much fun the free fly event I was in like two or three ago that I'm sitting this one out girls and boys. Y'all have fun now. Looking forward to being convinced by you how awesome everything is now.