Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
on that topic, one of my friends keeps bitching about his job. and I tell him he should get a new one. and then he busts out the same goddam thing every time:

“I applied to <one FAANG> and <slightly smaller but still prestigious company> and got immediately rejected, I need a masters degree to get a job anywhere good”

and like. bitch, I applied for 37 jobs to get 3 interviews and 1 offer, and I should have applied to more. it’s a numbers game, just spam fuckin applications. but this guy doesn’t believe me

don’t be that guy. just apply for poo poo. expect to get rejected 90+% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Quackles posted:

A philosophy of job hunting:

You have a friend named Davetthew. He is not very good technically, but he is overwhelmingly full of confidence, and as such he applies for jobs he thinks he'd be even only somewhat qualified at. However, his confidence in himself often carries him through otherwise unfortunate spots of the hiring process.

You're better than Davetthew, but you don't have as much confidence - so, when you're not sure about yourself, "what would Davetthew do?"

crash into me

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arcsech posted:

on that topic, one of my friends keeps bitching about his job. and I tell him he should get a new one. and then he busts out the same goddam thing every time:

“I applied to <one FAANG> and <slightly smaller but still prestigious company> and got immediately rejected, I need a masters degree to get a job anywhere good”

and like. bitch, I applied for 37 jobs to get 3 interviews and 1 offer, and I should have applied to more. it’s a numbers game, just spam fuckin applications. but this guy doesn’t believe me

don’t be that guy. just apply for poo poo. expect to get rejected 90+% of the time

or don’t apply to anything yourself and just let recruiters come to you

not the best plan if you’re unemployed and don’t have a long runway though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

like seriously, just hit the “allow recruiters to contact me” button on LinkedIn

take 10 minutes a day to filter out the garbage

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
had a lunch interview today and i feel so awful in these things, i never quite understand the etiquette and know i come across as stiff in social situations sometimes

I think I did really well but it's hard to know for sure. we wrapped lunch with dessert, went the full hour and they talked internal shop with me, if any of that is relevant, because honestly, i don't fuckin know. in the case that i don't get this one, any tips for lunch interviews, guys? it's my least favorite interview format

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Order the most expensive thing on the menu, so they know you're worth it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I did a lunch interview and the interviewer kept asking me questions and then imploring me to eat when I kept putting down my fork to answer. That was obnoxious.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
lunch interviews are a good way to see who's an rear end in a top hat to the waitress and then not hire them

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CPColin posted:

Order the most expensive thing on the menu, so they know you're worth it.

lol he talked about how they have filet on the menu some days but i just wanted a burger with jalapeno on it :shrug:

CPColin posted:

I did a lunch interview and the interviewer kept asking me questions and then imploring me to eat when I kept putting down my fork to answer. That was obnoxious.

the hardest thing about the interview was knowing when to eat like did i take too long??? do i talk when they're eating???? aghghghghgh

i ended up accidentally walking off with the table napkin which i really hope the interviewer didn't notice, i was so embarrassed when i got home

a u t i s m

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lunch interviews are a good way to see who's an rear end in a top hat to the waitress and then not hire them

i downshift into phone voice and graciously thank people for the most irrelevant poo poo so if that was what they were looking at i probably nailed it

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 20, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Fool posted:

like seriously, just hit the “allow recruiters to contact me” button on LinkedIn

take 10 minutes a day to filter out the garbage

Are people getting recruiter spam these days? Mine's been way down most of this year.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Are people getting recruiter spam these days? Mine's been way down most of this year.

I think it's market dependent, some places are drowning right now in unemployed tech workers and others seem to be desperate

I've done some looking outside of my market and any time I submit on anything in the chicagoland area i get bombarded for days after but it's not always what i'm looking for (100% remote)

Try to build a lot of linkedin connections nationwide if possible, it's really nice to have a network that expands outside of your area. I've also had good luck with people I've direct contacted in the past, recruiters like to dip back to me pretty regularly

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 20, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

volume has gone down for sure, but I still get low single digits per day, with a message worth following up on once or twice per month

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tips for lunch interviews

- Never order anything that has the physical possibility of being slurped, nor anything with a tomato-based sauce unless you're feeling brave.
- The host doesn't care what you order, s/he's not fuckin' paying for it and unless s/he's a world class jagoff s/he's not scanning the menu to judge you if what you got was the most expensive. Just don't make a federal issue of it and nobody will care.
- Don't order alcohol, full stop, unless the host explicitly encourages it. I've seen someone get blackballed 5 minutes in for this.
- The host WILL care how you treat the waitstaff. Just don't be a dick and you're good.
- Don't take huge bites, don't talk with your mouth full, don't put your fingers in your mouth, and DON'T loving CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH OPEN. I've seen all of these happen in meal interviews and they're all gross and convey the opposite of what you want about your soft skills. If you need to talk while you're chewing, just give the universal "one sec" and nobody will think lesser of you for it. As long as you're not being gross or scarfing down your food as if you haven't eaten in days you're not going to be judged.

ultrafilter posted:

Mine had dropped off until just last week, now I get a couple emails a day. EE so your mileage may vary

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
all those tips make me feel way better about how it went, i feel like i was on my best behavior for IT guy at meal time and i don't drink

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not looking but usually I get a fair amount of crap. If I got one or two per month worth following up on that'd be a big improvement. Mostly I'm curious because I moved from New York to Boston a few months ago, and I'm not sure whether my spam's down because of the market generally being slow or because of my location change.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Mine has also been way down to the point where many days I don't get anything, but a) Less than 3 years of experience, b) I don't live in any of the big tech cities

Not sure why they let you specify other areas other than where you live currently when you open to recruiters as it doesn't seem to do much, at least in my experience

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

Not sure why they let you specify other areas other than where you live currently when you open to recruiters as it doesn't seem to do much, at least in my experience

It matters more later in your career. I turned that on during my last search and it definitely got me messages that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i am incredibly happy to report that the interviewer did not notice me walk off with the napkin and i can finally quit this lovely loving temp job

:cheersbird:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Goongratulations!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

well done!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Mirthless posted:

i am incredibly happy to report that the interviewer did not notice me walk off with the napkin and i can finally quit this lovely loving temp job

:cheersbird:
Or maybe they did see you commit crimes and thought you were cool.

Congrats!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Fool posted:

or don’t apply to anything yourself and just let recruiters come to you

not the best plan if you’re unemployed and don’t have a long runway though

the job i'm moving to was a linkedin listing. it would have blown right by me if i didn't have some job alerts enabled. also almost all recruiters are bottom of the barrel garbage

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so there's cold and warm but also inbound and outbound leads. correlated but not the same. outbound is where you pick up the phone (or email) and cold call, cold email, cold apply places. inbound is where peeps poke at you. outbound, quantity is king and a lot of what makes a great outbound salespeep is that they have the emotional wherewithal to get hanged up upon lots of times. sometimes this is by deep emotional maturity, sometimes it is literally by being more stupid than the next guy, but nevertheless quantity is king

but most inbound leads are relatively very warm, as leads go. so you want those - but you get them by marketing, which is the coldest thing of all. feross aboukhadijeh, who is a friend of a friend, is most famous for adding adds on his lovely linting settings and sparking off a nodejs crusade and a new official npm policy saying "gently caress this dont do this", but because of his blog and poo poo he gets a recruiter email approximately every 10 minutes, despite his email dealio saying gently caress off if you're a recruiter. so "go and get inbound" basically ends up meaning "go and become famous. doesn't matter how, any PR is good PR, channel the spirit of pt barnum"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Steve Jorbs posted:

Or maybe they did see you commit crimes and thought you were cool.

Congrats!

i might frame that napkin, burger grease stains and all

2020 sucked, i walked off the ledge on my last job in april because a recruiter was criminally stupid and feel like i've been falling down stairs and running down dead ends ever since

hopefully this new gig will work out! it sounds like there's a lot of project work that needs to be done and i've got some good opportunities here, let's see what i can make out of 2021

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 20, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i got my current job through a no-connections application to a posting on indeed but i am also a white dude so ymmv

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

stolen from the yospos discord

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

welp they called me about an hour after this post and offered me the job. base pay is about equal to company #1 but i countered them up a bit just because. even if they reject it i'll still take their initial offer. gently caress yeah traveling for work sucks

they accepted my counter :yotj:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gently caress yeah

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
nice one, been a long figgie journey from the sound of things and its good to get paid!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yep. glad it’s finally over. not gonna lie i’m gonna miss this place because the people are great, but it’s clear the company isn’t necessarily failing but the party is definitely over.

reminder to everyone to take your time with the hunt. if companies aren’t paying what you’re asking don’t take it personally- they’re just looking for something else and in all likelihood you wouldn’t have been happy there. it takes time but eventually you’ll find the gig where you fit in

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nice!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they accepted my counter :yotj:

how much did you come back at, %-wise?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

raminasi posted:

how much did you come back at, %-wise?

not much since i was already happy with their original offer but, you know, 'always ask for more'. just 7%

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
now you got to see if the current place makes a counteroffer at the numbers you got denied previously

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah but
1. This is a proper company.
2. This would actually require technical skill.
3. No company anywhere could ever possibly be desperate enough to hire me.

my dude i gave worked at many companies that you know of and own products from and everyone everywhere is idiots top to bottom.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

now you got to see if the current place makes a counteroffer at the numbers you got denied previously

i really hope they won't sour things with something like that on my way out and they know i've been unhappy with my pay, so this won't be a surprise to them. with how things have been going i really really doubt they'll offer one

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not looking but usually I get a fair amount of crap. If I got one or two per month worth following up on that'd be a big improvement. Mostly I'm curious because I moved from New York to Boston a few months ago, and I'm not sure whether my spam's down because of the market generally being slow or because of my location change.

fwiw i'm in boston too and my recruiter volume has decreased this year although mostly since the summer. caveat: i don't have the "let recruiters know i'm looking" bit flipped so i assume volume would be higher if i was looking and enabled that setting

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

reminder to everyone to take your time with the hunt. if companies aren’t paying what you’re asking don’t take it personally- they’re just looking for something else and in all likelihood you wouldn’t have been happy there. it takes time but eventually you’ll find the gig where you fit in

Seconding this. My last job hunt took me nearly a year, and I'm incredibly glad I held out for a position that I'm now thriving in. Also points to the notion that you should be interviewing WELL before you're approaching burnout (and in fact on a practical level you should always be keeping an eye out if you're not 1000% in the tank for your employer).

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

my dude i gave worked at many companies that you know of and own products from and everyone everywhere is idiots top to bottom.

This, too, cannot be over-emphasized. I'm of the opinion that anyone reasonably bright can get up to speed on literally any topic not requiring PhD levels of understanding in the span of 4-6 months.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HR updated our interviewing scoresheet and now there's a list of almost 30 attributes like "Growth Mindset", "Curious", "High Performance Attitude" etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pointsofdata posted:

HR updated our interviewing scoresheet and now there's a list of almost 30 attributes like "Growth Mindset", "Curious", "High Performance Attitude" etc etc

Sweet, more chechboxes